Chapter 279: Helen
6.4k 14 232
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the highest floor of Babel, Freya swished with her silver hair. Her silver eyes took in the city covered in brilliant lights flickering from the magic stone lamps.

“Helen.”

“My Lady.”

A girl standing beside her straightened her back. Grey hair was cut in a way that it covered the right side of her face as though she wanted to hide something. Her black eye quivered as she replied to her goddess.

“Any words from Allen?”

“Nothing. My Lady.”

Freya released a disappointed sigh. The catman had been tasked to collect some information from the Far East. A job like this would usually be given to low-level Familia members, but Allen was punished for his carelessness during the meeting with other goddesses.

“He can’t find information on one person. Useless. I’ll make Ottar train him for a week.”

The goddess pouted as she thought of another punishment. Allen hated being weak. However, in front of Ottar’s mountain frame, he felt anything but strong.

Helen clenched her jaw behind her goddess’s back.

‘That man… will pay for this.’

The image of the golden-eyed young man rose to her mind, and her face twisted in rage.

***

The diagrams of maritime nations and the terrestrial locations outside Orario covered every open space on the wall. In addition, unique items excavated from historical ruins were concealed behind a shelf, and exotic plants from deserts lined up on tables.

Behind one of these tables, a blue-haired woman could be seen, writing something with her signature silver feather quill.

“Failure.”

This was the first cross on her rather flawless career. She couldn’t even blame the innocent-looking Siren for this failure. Everything happened because she wasn’t competent enough to deal with the situation.

Her emotional struggle was put on hold by the creaking wooden door.

Hermes popped his head inside with a bright smile. “Perseus, I’ll be gone for a week or two.”

Her deity was as careless as always. His feet never stayed in the city for more than a month. He usually disappeared for a fortnight or even longer.

“What’s it this time?”

“To meet an old friend outside Orario. Just keep an eye on Asahi for me.”

“How can you leave the stalking duty to a young woman!”

Asfi’s shout was heard by no one. The deity had long disappeared, knowing full well how Asfi would respond.

Putting the pen down, Asfi heaved a sigh. “Asahi…”

She had heard rumors of him. A talented rookie surrounded by numerous beautiful women comparable to the goddesses. Some called him the Noble Rookie, pointing him to being a noble’s descendant from the Far East, a continent wrought in war and bloodshed.

Asfi pulled open the drawer and picked up the black helmet with a brim.

Hades Head.

Using this magic item, she could hide from anyone in the world.

She had hidden this item from him or some goddess will murder him for peeking at her.

‘Letting a former princess stalk an adventurer…’

Her deity’s odd orders frustrated her like usual.

***

Once Hermes and Asfi left, Astraea recited the real story to Loki and Hephaestus. The goddesses were a little amazed at how swiftly he dispatched the anomaly known as Juggernaut.

As the first one to discover the monster and its traits, Astraea had the opportunity to be credited with achievement from the Guild. Her Familia was already a B-Rank one. Reaching A-Rank required some achievements on top of having strong forces.

“Give it to Alise.”

Asahi couldn’t care less about this minor stuff.

“But she won’t like it.”

“We can do it without her knowing, right?”

“Okay…”

What a terrible man he was for forcing a Goddess of Justice to lie. Though, the goddess didn’t seem dissatisfied with his words.

As it was already past ten, Asahi escorted the goddesses to their home. He returned to Astraea’s room and pecked her forehead.

“A goodnight kiss for my goddess.”

Her heart pounded.

Her cheeks burned hot.

As if she was suffering from a fever.

She couldn’t raise her head to meet his eyes, which were most likely carrying a teasing glint.

The heat rushing through her made her dizzy.

“Thank you!”

Giving her thanks, she hurriedly closed the door and slumped to the floor.

‘This… this is harder than I thought.’

(You’ll get used to it. We all do. Heck, I couldn’t look him in the eye when we first met…)

Klyscha’s voice was lidded with heavy emotions.

‘It must be quite something.’

(It was the fateful meeting of the century, no, millennia.)

Astraea collected herself and walked toward the bed. She removed her dress and wrapped herself in the blanket.

‘How did you two meet?’

(It started when...)

Astraea listened to what might become her favorite bedtime story, narrated by none other than Klyscha.

232