Chapter 16: Island of Music
169 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh! Finally!” I exclaim in elation to what lies in the horizon.

I can see the island that Big Sister’s Eternal Pose is pointing at.

These sure are handy. I could make a collection of Eternal Poses.

I should make a safe place for my Eternal Pose collection, so that these fragile things won't break in a storm.

 

As long as I have Eternal Poses for my favorite islands, I can just switch routes and even go back.

Yes… This is a good idea.

This could actually serve as some sort of record for all the islands I’ve come across.

… But these things are usually damn expensive…

 

Well there are always some unsavory guys whom I could ‘borrow’ one Pose or two.

Like I did with my Log Pose, heh.

Well, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My main priority right now is to enjoy the island, not to beat up scum in it.

 

-

 

Now then, where should I dock?

There are so many ships here and some of them look too fancy for my taste.

… Maybe there… There are mostly normal looking ships docked there.

Should be safe enough.

 

I steer the Cloud Chaser to the docks where mostly civilian vessels are located.

I lower the sails and drop anchor on a free spot.

(Author: Raising sails means to open them and lowering sails means putting them away… Yes, I know. Feels weird.)

I make sure that my ship is not so close to the dock, so that only I could get out of the ship easily.

“Hey, kiddo!” A burly dock worker hollers to me.

 

“What’s up?” I ask the burly man while locking everything up.

“Are you not used to sailing?” He looks at my ship.

“Shouldn’t you get your ship a bit closer?”

“No need.” I leap with a boost next to the man.

 

“If someone other than me wants to get in, they will have rough time trying, hehe.” I chuckle while the man looks a bit dumbfounded.

“Whatever works for you.” He shrugs and takes a better look at me.

“First time on the Grand Line, kiddo?”

As he asks, I notice some others trying to listen in.

 

I can even feel people hiding with my Haki, who are also listening.

“Nah. Just the first time playing here in Paradise.”

At the moment when I mention ‘Paradise’, most of the people with ill intention started to back off.

Only people from the New World call the first half of the Grand Line, ‘Paradise’.

 

And if you meet a person from the New World in Paradise, you should stay away.

Because only people with monster like strength can survive in the New World.

That is why this half is called ‘Paradise’ by the people of the New World.

“Paradise, huh? Well some would call this island like that but it this island is called Symphony.”

 

The man looked puzzled when I mentioned Paradise.

He is probably just a normal local who started to chat with me from curiosity.

Symphony… I think that was the word on the Eternal Pose, so it was the name of the island.

“Oh and just so you know. I’m way older than I look.” I point this out for those who are still listening without understanding the risks.

 

It’s good that people underestimate me, but it is also a pain when people keep targeting you for looking weak.

“Are you now? Well you feel a lot more mature than you seem and nothing is like what you see here in the Grand Line. Hahaha!”

Well isn’t he a jolly fellow. Might as well ask him about the island.

“Well then. Seeing that you must be a local, can you give me some pointers about what fun things can be found here in Symphony?”

 

“Oh, sure thing! I love my home so I can give you a lot of tips on where to go sightseeing!”

“Yea… I figured as much.”

Seeing that he is happily chatting away and not doing his job.

“Symphony is an island famous for music! We have everything related to music on this island!”

 

Suddenly the burly man starts to move and speak in an exaggerated manner.

“Here we go again…” Mutters some of the other workers.

The burly man starts his own theatrical performance while telling me the wonders of his home island.

… I wonder if Jim is from Symphony. He didn’t look like he was born as a local in Kano.

 

“Because we are one of the starting islands in the Grand Line, the tourism is quite high.”

“We have famous craftsmen, creating wonderful instruments, to be brought to all the Blues.”

“But there are also the tailors! After all, we host many concerts and parties, here in Symphony!

“From party dresses to costumes and outfits for a magnificent play!”

 

“If you are looking for fun, then you just have to walk a bit.”

“Just go to where the music and singing is the loudest, and then there will be all the fun you need!”

“The music never stops and can be heard everywhere!”

“From small back alley bars to the Grand Symphony Theater!”

 

He is not very good at this…

I guess I should go along with this. I love theatrics after all.

“I say, my dear fellow friend.”

With a grin on my face, I also put on an exaggerated accent to my speech and movements.

 

“I’ve been looking from highest of the high…” With energy, I motion towards the sky with my hands.

“And from lowest of the low…” With a somber tone, I motion towards the depths of the sea.

“For a place which theatrics call a ‘Home’.” With a gentle tone, I spread my arms towards the island and the city within.

“And so, I’ve stumbled on this piece of land!”

 

“In search for the grandest of the Grand!”

Yet again energy and ambition fills my voice as I make a grasping motion.

“…” It seems I’ve surprised him. Guess no one plays along with him.

“Hahahahaa!” Seems like he is quite overjoyed.

 

“If you are looking for the Grandest in this land!” He points towards a massive building in the distance.

“Then I recommend the Grand Theater and it’s most popular band!”

“I thank thy kind soul for aiding me in my quest.”

I give an exaggerated bow while the man tries to do the same.

 

*CLAP CLAP CLAP* Suddenly we hear clapping around us and see the other dock workers had stopped what they were doing.

“Congratulations James! For the first time a newcomer who wasn’t put off by your performance! Gehehahahaa!”

“And he even joined and outperformed most of the actors on the island!”

“And thanks to him, you did a bit better yourself!” Said the workers while laughing and congratulating him.

 

The burly man, called James, turns towards me.

“That was really nice of you to play along with me.”

“Well, I do enjoy some theatrics and messing around.”

“If you need a place to stay then go to the Boulevard of Song & Dreams.”

 

“There is an inn called the Faithful Songstress. Just mention that we recommend it and you should be quite welcome there.”

“Our old friend started that inn business a few years back and he is doing great!”

“That fellows cooking and his wife’s music keep the dining hall busy every day!”

“That sounds pleasant.” I remind myself the name of the inn and the boulevard just in case.

 

“I’ll be heading to the city now so if you need me, you will know where to find me.”

I start making my way towards the city.

Excited about all the interesting things I’ll see and hear in this island of music.

 

Hello World!

I'm back with no rhyming sense or reason left.

So! Our MC has found himself in Symphony! A completely made up island by yours truly! We will see how badly this goes when I have zero musical talent and am tone deaf. Just make the theatrical parts sound catchy in your minds somehow. Well James' parts were left a bit bad since he wasn't supposed to be a pro anyway but I'm pretty sure I did our MC's part badly as well.

I'm still feeling like crap but now mostly because it is too hot and I can't fall asleep. If I don't get my 8 hours of sleep I can feel my body function with less efficiency and I get sick easier. I'm a bit more sensitive. Many people don't actually notice these things but sleeping less than 8 hours will affect your health.

Happy Readings Everybody!

7