A Simple Dinner
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I entered the room the table was covered with a white cloth, the length leaves me with no qualms as it was only inches away from hitting the floor. There were several food covers on the table, I'd expect to already see the food at the beginning, but it seems that will have to wait.

As I look at the walls, the exquisite or delicate design embedded seemed to fascinate me, it's as if the patterns embeddded upon had some meaning of some sorts, the patterns looked quite similar to the symbols to the ones I saw in what I could presume as a marketplace.

"Is this their language?"

I'd go into more detail on the leather chairs provided by the guests, but I'd simply say that the chairs were without a doubt sturdy in its design and comfy as well. At the center edge of the table was the lady who had everything prepared for Princess Emily Sovia.

"Sir Williams, Julie,  both of you are here already it seems"

"Sorry for being late Princess" Julie bowed.
"I can say the same"

As I looked around, I see several other servants standing at the side, one of them was Christel, I didn't even bother greeting her, in fact I don't think she would even notice me if the Princess didn't call out to me.

"Sit down, feel free to eat"

I nod as I sit on a chair quite far away from the Princess, I've never liked being close to people when I eat. I observed the Princess as she grabbed her fork and knife in a delicate manner, as she swallows her food quietly. As I begin to grab the fork and knife, I heard people murmuring around me.

"He's not a noble at all, no class"

"He can't even hold his fork properly, how senseless"

"She was right about him being...."

Despite the nonsensical rambling, I didn't lose my appetite, in fact it just fueled the fire within me to quickly finish eating.

"So, how was your room?"

The Princess had to grab my attention, I had no choice but to speak to her.

"It was fine" and I continued to place food into my mouth.

"That's good then"

The silence ensues while we were eating, the only sounds I heard were constant murmering the the silverware clanging on the metal plate. As I was looking around me, my eye caught the attention of Christel who was staring at me with a piercing gaze...

'What did she want me to do? Make conversation?'

Chris continued to stare at me, I can somewhat feel the intent behind it 'Y E S'.

"So Princess, when will the King arrive?" 

The Princess stopped for a moment in eating, and looked at me with wide eyes as if she was saying 'What are you doing?!'. The Princess knew fully well I didn't know of any royal etiquette so she refrained from engaging too much with me but regardless she returned to her usual calm demeanor.

"The King will arrive by the morning with the Queen"

"I understand...by the way, is there a library here?"

'I need more information in this world if I need to survive'

"Yes there is, it's at the right of the stair..." the Princess stops at her own words and came up with a better idea.

"Christel."
"Yes, Princess?"

Christel quickly came forward, making the lights of the chandelier to shine upon her, where the rest of the maids seemed enveloped in darkness.

"Bring Gr-, Sir Williams to the library at..." 

"Right now will be fine" I said, as I finish eating the last piece of my food.

"Yes, please guide him to the library"
"What about you?"
"Sorry, I'll have to decline that, I still have other things to do"

Truthfully the reason I asked the Princess was because I'd be alone with Christel, I'm sure the Princess had good intentions but...this was truly bad for me, Christel, who is suspicous of me will guide me to the library? No matter how I think of it, this is crazy! But I can't sneakily decline it because of how the Princess said it!

I left the dining room with Christel, I'd expect a few words from Christel but suprisingly she just walked away.

"I guess she's leading me to the library..."

I'd expect an insult right about now, but even after several minutes passed, she didn't spoke of a word. So, despite my minds fervent protests I decided to engage in conversation with Christel.

"So, are there things I should know about the library?"

"....." Christel remained silent.

As we continued walking on foot, we arrived at the staircase and Christel finally spoke.

"It's only a few steps away, it's at the next floor"

As we were going up the staircase, Christel, I didn't know if it was intentional or not, slipped on a step and I grabbed her shoulders preventing her from falling. I'd expect a simple thank you, but she merely stared at me and we continued walking upwards.

"...ank you" mumbled Christel.

"Sorry?" I couldn't quite hear it from the sound of her voice.

"....."

As we arrived at the next floor, at the right was two red doors, engraved with symbols at it's border outlines.

"Wait here." 

Christel knocked at the door and entered. After that, I was standing at the hallway for a few minutes or so until Christel finally came out.

"You can come in now, I'll be leaving" Christel said with a monotone voice.

"Alright then"

As I pushed the red door, I found out that it wouldn't move, I thought it was broken until my eyes saw the knob.

'How dimwitted am I'

As soon as my hand touched the doorknob I felt a tingling sensation and the door opened. 

"Hello! My friend! Welcome to the Royal Library! How may I be of service, Gregory Williams?" 

 

0