Chapter 14: Rescue mission (1)
3.7k 22 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   On the next day, I ask my harem and Yui to come to my room after school’s over.

   When all of them are here, I tell my harem what had happened yesterday up until we left the church, since there’s no need for them to know what had happened near Yui’s house. I also left out the part of conversation where Albanese told me about his chat with Principal Morifuji.

   I told them I found it weird that he was so nice to us, despite the fact that he was always publicly known as a terrible person. I also show them the videos I watched and pointed out the way his eyes move.

   Throughout this whole thing, I try to sound as nonchalant as possible. If I sound over-enthusiastic or desperate, the girls might ask me why do I care so much about a guy I just met and barely got to know. There’s no way I can tell them I’m trying to stop a war.

   ‘Well, he does look like someone who doesn’t believe in a single word he’s saying.’ Sakuya gives her opinion after watching the video.

   ‘Indeed, he has the eyes of a liar.’ Ichika agrees.

   ‘I always saw him going to parks to feed stray cats and dogs, and they absolutely adore him. There’s no way someone who’s loved by animals a bad person.’ Mashiro adds. ‘That’s why I was quite surprised to know this is how he usually acts.’

   ‘So, he’s not really a bad person?’ Yui asks.

   ‘I’m not sure. For all we know, the side he showed us is the fake one. Is there a way for us to find out, Sakuya-senpai?’

   Once again, I give out the impression that I’m just being curious, and don’t really care about the answer.

   ‘Well, if you want, I could ask the Information Squad.’

   In the Royal Blade Academy, there are two groups of students: the Attacking Squad and the Information Squad. The girls and I are from the Attacking Squad, the ones who do most of the fighting. And then there’s the Information Squad, who specializes in infiltration, information gathering and even assassination.

   These two groups share the same classrooms according to their Ranks, but our timetables have different schedules due to our specialties.

   ‘Yes, please do.’

   ‘All right. I’ll ask Shinigami-chan then.’

   The temperature of my room dropped at least twenty degrees the moment she says that.

   ‘Um, senpai? This is just to satisfy my curiosity. You don’t have to go that far.’

   ‘He is right, president. There is no need to ask her, of all people.’

   Yui and Mashiro nod their heads vigorously.

   ‘Oh, come on. All of you are way too scared of her. She’s nicer than she looks and acts.’

   ‘But still-’

   ‘It’s fine. It’s fine. Just leave it to your big sister.’

   And so, Sakuya asks the help of Kojima Madoka, an S Rank and the ace of the information squad.

   There’s a reason for why the rest of us are very reluctant for her to get involved in this. Her nickname Shinigami fits too well on her.

   As mentioned, students of the Information Squad are sometimes given missions to assassinate someone. Madoka is extremely proficient at this, so much so that there are tons of shady organizations out there who are willing to make her one of their own when she graduates, even though she’s only a first year.

   Look, I’m not condemning her because her hands are covered with blood. Everyone did things that they’re not proud of at least once in their life, but that’s the thing. Madoka simply loves her job.

   Normally, she’s a lot like Mashiro. She doesn’t talk much, and she rarely shows emotions. However, that will change when she’s out to kill someone.

   She will turn into a merciless killing machine in an instant. Anyone who tries to stop her will be cut down faster than blinking, friend or foe. And she will laugh hysterically while doing all those killing.

   Now, those of you who are sharp might have guessed how she fits into the main story from the way I call her. That’s right. She’s another member of Yuuji’s harem.

   Honestly, the way she falls in love with Yuuji’s kind of weird, if you can even call it love. She was assigned to kill a certain important person during Season 3. She was stopped by (surprise, surprise) Yuuji. They fought, and she lost. After she was defeated, she claimed that she fell in love with the man that let her taste her first defeat.

   Pretty sure you call this admiration, not love.

   Anyway, that’s how Madoka constantly stalks Yuuji and attacks whenever she found an opening. You decide the definition of the word ‘attack’ earlier.

   Madoka scares me. A lot. I’m just not into a situational yandere like her.

   I don’t want to feed you guys with too much information until the event actually unfolds, but let’s just say that due to something I did in the past, the order to kill the important mission might not be given to her, and she won’t be meeting Yuuji. In other words, there’s no real need for me to make contact with Madoka.

   Well, there’s no point in trying to convince Sakuya to change her mind, since she can be quite stubborn.

   ‘Fine. But please insist that no killing, hurting and/or torturing is allowed.’

   ‘Okay~.’

   Even if it’s Madoka, it might take her a few days to find out Albanese’s secret, if there’s a secret at all.

   Turns out I’ve underestimated her. She didn’t even need one day.

   It was almost dinnertime when she appeared. I was watching random cooking videos on the internet since I was running out of ideas on what to cook. Suddenly, someone rings my doorbell. Thinking that it might be one of the girls in my harem, I open the door, only to find Madoka standing outside while holding two pieces of papers.

   ‘Good evening. Here’s what you wanted me to find out.’ she hands me one of the papers.

   I take it and read the whole thing. It says that eight months ago, Lost Children had kidnapped Albanese’s illegitimate daughter Sara Albanese and used her against him.

   I had to pause a while to take in what I just read. Illegitimate daughter? Albanese has one?

   I continue with the reading. Lost Children threatened Albanese to be a huge jerk and make fear-mongering speech and the like, in order to make the people hate the Church. He was also threatened to spread rumors about Oliva wants to kick the Pope off his position so that he could have it for himself. When the rumors have spread enough, he is to accuse Oliva for being a traitor.

   Lost Children is confident that the Pope will have Oliva executed for that. When that happens, some people from the Church will be sure to leave the place, and it will weaken the Church’s influence.

   So this is why Albanese did all those things he did. Well, if we manage to rescue his daughter Sara, he doesn’t have to act like a jerk anymore.

   ‘What’s that paper you’re still holding?’ I ask Madoka.

   ‘Your bill.’

   She shows it to me. It has a simple title named Bill #5901.

   This is how we earn our pay. We charge our clients after we’re done with our job. The way we charge our fees is closely regulated by the Academy. If we overcharge, we will get in trouble.

   I look at the amount. It’s reasonable, but I want to ask for extra information before I pay her.

   ‘Do you know where Sara Albanese is locked up?’

   ‘I do, but I’ll have to charge you extra for that piece of information.’

   I shrug. ‘Charge away.’

   Madoka takes out a pen and scribbles something on the piece of paper and shows it to me again. The amount has increased by just a bit, but there’s something strange written under it.

   ‘The price will be cut in half if you bring me along.’ I read the sentence out loud.

   ‘It’s a great deal, isn’t it?’

   I look at her suspiciously. ‘What are you planning?’

   ‘Nothing. I’m simply making an offer.’

   I raise an eyebrow. She’s definitely hiding something. Then again, if she’s planning to sabotage us, she could have just tailed us after we depart, instead of giving me discount in the hope that we will bring her along.

   ‘...Alright, if that’s want you want.’

   She nods. ‘Just come find me when you’re going to depart.’

   ‘Hold it. Have you had your dinner?’

   ‘I was planning to eat it once I’m back at my room. Why do you ask?’

   ‘Then you might as well eat with us. I was just about to cook dinner.’

   She looks surprised. ‘You…want me to join you?’

   ‘Ah, why not. It’s just another mouth to feed, no big deal.’

   I didn’t bother to tell Madoka that more people will be joining us later. With her investigating skills, she probably knew that I don’t eat my dinners all by myself.

   I mentioned before that I’m deadly afraid of her, but that’s only when she’s on a killing spree. Right now, she’s just like most fifteen-years-old, so I can talk and act normally around her.

   Yui probably wants to join in the mission, so I gave her a call. She already ate her dinner, but nonetheless promises to come over.

   It was not long before the usual gang shows up for dinner, and they were really surprised to see Madoka in my room. Madoka, on the other hand, is not surprised to see them, thereby proving my theory.

   I decide to tell the girls what Madoka found after Yui is here, so I start to cook dinner first. All of them are so awkwardly quiet I had to turn on the television.

   Yui got here right after I’m done cooking, so I told them about Albanese’s situation while we eat, and Madoka ends it by telling us Sara’s location. Yui is also surprised by Madoka being here, but didn’t say or ask anything.

   ‘...So he wasn’t a bad guy, after all.’ Mashiro concludes.

   ‘Yup. Senpai, we’re rescuing her, right?’ I ask Sakuya.

   ‘Of course. There’s no way we’re abandoning her.’

   ‘It’s decided, then.’

   ‘Going off topic here for a while, the food are delicious. I’ve received intel that you’re good in cooking, but I wasn’t expecting you to be this good.’ Madoka tells me.

   ‘Why, thank you.’

   ‘Right~? He’s my proud little brother, after all~’ Sakuya says proudly.

   ‘Since when? And why are you the one that’s being proud, senpai?’

   ‘As I recall, your cooking skill is terrible, president.’ Madoka adds.

   ‘...Ichika-chan, is it me, or did the number of people who bully me has increased?’

   ‘You brought it upon yourself, president.’

   ‘Ichika-chan, you are my vice-president, right?’

   ‘Um, I’m sure that they don’t mean it. Please cheer up, president.’ Yui comforts Sakuya.

   Sakuya smiles happily. ‘Finally, I got an ally! You’re such a good girl, Yui-chan!’

   ‘Yui, there’s no need to spoil her.’ Mashiro tells Yui.

   ‘Mashiro-chan, please keep your mouth shut if you have nothing nice to say.’

   Just like this, the atmosphere of this room has become much better. However, we have a mission briefing to make, so we quickly finish up our meal and do the clean up.

   When we’re finally done, we get down to business.

   According to the intel provided by Madoka, Sara is currently being locked up somewhere deep inside a cave all the way in Hokkaido.

   It’ll take around eight hours to get to Hokkaido by bullet train, and only an hour and a half if we ride an aeroplane. Taking the train is much more expensive too. Even so, all of us agree that taking the bullet train is better.

   First of all, a bunch of high school students going to Hokkaido by plane? It’ll definitely arouse suspicion. Second, airports have tighter security. Even if it’s a domestic flight, we would still have to go through body scans and whatnot. We want to avoid that.

   Next, the plan to raid the cave and rescue Sara.

   ‘There are sixty normal members and five A Rank ones guarding the cave.’ Madoka reports. ‘Moreover, the cave is full of surveillance cameras and laser-triggered traps.’

   ‘So, we should split up into three groups. One to act as a decoy, one to disable the cameras and the traps, and one to rescue Sara.’ I suggest.

   The girls nod, agreeing with me.

   ‘Well, I don’t have any flashy moves, and I’m not really good with tech stuffs, so I guess I’ll be in the rescue team.’ I say. ‘Who’s with m-’

   Everyone except Madoka raise up their hands, even Yui. I look at her in surprise, and so do the girls in my harem.

   Yui herself has a ‘wait, why did I raise up my hand?’ look and immediately lowers down her hand.

   ‘I should be in the team, since I’m the only one who knows the exact location of Sara Albanese.’

   ‘Yeah, I guess.’

   The girls look at Madoka enviously, but know that she’s right, so they didn’t object to it.

   ‘I volunteer to be on the decoy team. If something goes wrong, I’m the one with the most ways to handle it.’ Mashiro says.

   ‘Well then, your big sister will accompany you.’ Sakuya says to Mashiro.

   Two nukes acting as the decoys. I’m kind of worried.

   Ichika looks at Yui. ‘I guess we will be the ones to disable the electronics.’

   ‘Yes. Please take care of me.’

   ‘Likewise.’

   Now that the teams are decided, the only thing left to do tonight is to have a good night’s rest. We would love to go to Hokkaido as soon as possible, but the thing is, bullet trains don’t arrive as frequently as normal trains, considering the fact that one would take around eight hours to reach its final destination. The last train arrives at seven in the evening, which we already missed.

   ‘Well, see you girls tomorrow.’ I tell them.

   ‘You mean we can’t have a sleepover?’ Sakuya asks me.

   ‘Huh?’

   ‘President, what are you suggesting?’ Ichika demands with a beet-red face. ‘Akira is a boy!’

   ‘That’s not a problem, is it?’

   ‘It is!’

   ‘Um, can’t you have one at your room, or something?’ I suggest instead. ‘It’s much better that way.’

   ‘Boo~. Your big sister wanted to sleep together with you.’

   ‘PRESIDENT!’

   ‘Okay, okay. I was just joking, Ichika-chan. There’s no need to get so excited. And so, let’s go to my room instead, we’ll be having a party tonight!’

   ‘I shall take my leave.’ Madoka heads to the door.

   ‘Hold on, Madoka-chan. You’re joining too.’

   Madoka looks bewildered. ‘I am?’

   ‘Of course~. I would love to get more intimate with you~’

   Surprisingly, the other girls agree too, even though they had been scared of her.

   ‘Well, if you insist…’

   ‘Alrighty then, let’s go to my room~ Yui-chan, don’t forget to tell your parents.’

   ‘Ah, yes!’

   And so, the girls leave my room while dragging Madoka along. I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow, so I took a quick shower and go to sleep.

   On the next day, soon after I wake up, I receive a text from Sakuya.

   ‘Good morning, Akira-kun~! The girls and I are hungry, so be a dear and cook us some breakfast, won’t you?’

   ‘Sure, just come over when you’re ready.’ I text back.

   I was halfway done with my cooking when the girls are here. All of them are wearing slightly thick casual clothes, since it’s Hokkaido we’re going, and wearing our uniforms would make us stand out.

   The girls sit down in front of the counter and wait for me to finish cooking. I want to save energy, so all I cook was some bacon, eggs and toasts. While I’m still busy, I notice that Yui is fidgeting on her seat while looking embarrassed.

   ‘Kiryuu? Is everything alright?’

   ‘Huh? Oh! Yes, everything is fine! D-don’t worry about me! Ahahaha!’ she says while not looking at me in the eyes.

   I look at Madoka, since she’s the information broker.

   ‘Oh no you don’t Akira-kun!’ Sakuya butts in. ‘You’re not allowed to cheat! You have to figure it out yourself.’

   Well, based on Yui’s reaction, I’m guessing that she’s in love with me. However, I have to act as the dense protagonist at times like this, so I just mumbled ‘fine’ and let the matters drop.

   After we’re finished with our breakfast, I got changed as well. I had to do it in my bathroom since the girls are still out there. Then, we go to the Tokyo Train Station by having a staff that’s working at the Academy to give us a ride with a van.

   We buy tickets soon after we reach the station. Since there’s a bit of time left before the train departs, we decide to loiter around for a bit.

   ‘This is kind of like a holiday trip, isn’t it?’ Sakuya asks us.

   ‘I guess. Since today’s weekend and all.’

   Yup, this is a huge coincidence too. If we come here at any other days (except Sundays, of course), people around us would have wondered what’s a bunch of high school students doing at a train station when school have already started.

   The train station is huge and full of all kinds of shops and restaurants. It was quite difficult for us to try to stop Mashiro from going inside every single sweets shop.

   All this while, I notice that Madoka has a gentler expression than last night. I guess the sleepover made her soften up a bit.

   We pass by a bento shop, so we go in and got ourselves a bento each for lunch later. After we pay for them, it’s almost time for the train to depart, so we hurried to the platform where the bullet train is.

   Luckily, we manage to get inside the train before it leaves. While it starts to move, we look for our seats.

   The seats are all two by two, and adjustable too. I randomly choose a seat and sits down. Yui sits right next to me, with Ichika and Mashiro sitting opposite us with their seats turned around to face us. Madoka is sitting behind Yui and I, along with a pouting Sakuya.

   Judging by Sakuya’s expression, I’m guessing that when they had the sleepover, they also had a competition or something to compete for the right to sit next to and/or opposite me.

   Anyway, to not disturb the other passengers, we try our best to whisper. We didn’t talk about our mission. You can never be too careful.

   ‘Who wants snacks? Your big sister brought lots~’ Sakuya whispers while holding out a hand that’s grabbing a pack of chocolate sticks.

   I take it and give it to the rest. The already-hungry Mashiro accepts it gratefully. Strangely, Sakuya hands over another chocolate stick, but wouldn’t budge when I try to take it. It took me a while to figure out what she’s trying to do.

   I open my mouth and take it with my teeth. Satisfied, Sakuya finally lets go.

   When I turn back, I realize that the other three have each taken a chocolate stick and are pointing them at me. I munch down the chocolate stick that I was biting and take those chocolate sticks with my teeth as well.

   After sitting down for a while, my bottom is starting to hurt, so I leave my seat and walk around for a bit.

   The train is relatively empty, probably because this is the first stop. By the time it reaches our destination, it would probably be packed with passengers.

   While walking, I also try to act nonchalant and observe the passengers, just in case we’re being watched. So far, my worry has been unnecessary, and I hope I’m being overcautious.

   A few more hours passed, and we ate the lunch we bought. While waiting for the train to stop, some of us got up from their seats to go for a little walk like I did, or simply close their eyes and take a little nap. I play with my phone for a while, then I stopped since I got the jitters by thinking of our mission.

   After eight torturing hours, the train finally stops at our destination. The first thing we do when we got out is stretch our bodies. I’m so glad we’re going back by helicopters like when we retrieved Excalibur. I definitely can’t take another eight hours of this.

   We found ourselves two taxis, and Madoka tells the driver our destination. I don’t know where it is, but it sounded like the name of a village.

   The trip took almost an hour, and the sky has gone dark by the time we reach the village. We paid the taxi drivers and thanked them.

   ‘So, where to next?’ I ask Madoka.

   She didn’t answer me. Instead, she’s looking at the forest right next to the village. We take her hint and move towards the forest while making sure that we’re not seen.

87