Chapter 66: A few hours before the operation
827 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I gave Sakuya a call, and turns out they didn’t leave the office at all. Guess she just wanted me to accompany Natsuho. Now, the two of us are going back there.

   ‘Um, senpai?’

   ‘Yeah?’

   ‘Why are you walking behind me? And why are you holding the corner of my shirt?’

   ‘I’m trying ta calm maself down before I talk ta her, so I don’t really trust maself with walking right now. Just shut up and walk, alright?’

   ‘Well, if you insist.’

   ‘And doncha dare blabber a single thing I said ta ya just now ta anyone else, or I’ll have ya head.’

   ‘Yes, yes, your secret is safe with me with or without that threat of yours.’

   When we got back to the office, Natsuho wordlessly beckons Sakuya forward. The latter gets up and follows her without saying or asking anything. Natsuho closes the door behind her before they go outside.

   ‘Um, are they going to be fine? I mean, I trust Morifuji-san, but Natsuho might be up to something.’ Isa-senpai asks me with a worried look.

   ‘There’s no need to worry, senpai.’ I assure her. ‘She just wants to talk to Sakuya-senpai.’

   ‘With her mouth or her fists?’

   ‘With her mouth, obviously. I hope.’

   Before they got back, Tomita-senpai returned first. The first thing he noticed when he entered the room was the absence of both student council presidents.

   ‘Where did those two go?’ he asks no one in particular.

   ‘They’re having a heart-to-heart-talk right now, so you should take a seat while we wait for them.’ Isa-senpai tells him.

   Tomita-senpai has a look of someone who has lots of questions, but he decides to let it slide and sits down as suggested.

   After waiting for more than thirty minutes, they’re finally back. And Natsuho is bawling her eyes out. Sakuya, on the other hand, is busy comforting her.

   ‘What happened?’ Ichika asks.

   ‘Well, we talked about lots of things.’ Sakuya explains in a vague way.

   Natsuho stops crying when she sees me. This time, she beckons me forward. I obediently get up and walk towards her while Sakuya comes inside and sits down at her original seat.

   ‘We’re gonna have another walk.’ she tells me in a tone that leaves no room for argument.

   ‘Whatever you say.’

   And so, here we are once again, away from others and not going anywhere in particularly. Until she turns around and hugs me all of a sudden. She’s also burying her face in my chest, and her arms are around me.

   ‘Ya didn’t snitch, did ya?’ she asks me.

   Obviously, she’s asking about whether I told the others about what the two of us talked about while we had the first walk. Suddenly, I’m much more conscious of her arms which are around me, probably because her grip is getting tighter. And we all know what she’ll do if I answer her question wrongly.

   ‘No, of course not.’

   ‘Good.’

   ‘Did you managed to make up with Sakuya-senpai?’

   ‘Sure did. And it’s all thanks to ya. So, um, thanks.’

   ‘You’re welcome.’

   She finally let go of me. Some of her tears and even snots are stuck on my shirt. I try not to look or think about them.

   ‘Before we go back, I got one last question for ya.’

   ‘Which is?’

   ‘Those girls with ya, and the kidnapped Kiryuu Yui. All of them are ya girlfriends, right?’

   ‘Oh, um. Yes. All of them are my girlfriends.’

   No point in me lying here if she already figured it out. It’s either that or Sakuya told her. Might as well be honest about it.

   ‘I-I see…’

   I was expecting her to berate me about how wrong it is to having multiple relationships with multiple girls, but she’s not throwing a fit at all. Instead, she has an expression with a mixture of joy and hope.

   ‘So, do you love them all equally, or do you have anyone you favor in particular?’ she continues.

   ‘I love them all equally. For me, each and every one of them are my number one.’

   ‘Can I trust ya word on that?’

   ‘Of course.’

   ‘...All right. Let’s go back. Can’t keep them waiting forever.’

   Once we got back, Tomita-senpai proceeds to bring us to the Research Department. My dirty shirt raised some eyebrows, but no one asked any questions. Isa-senpai did hand me some tissues to wipe off the dirty spots, but that’s it.

   And oh, Natsuho simply refuses to walk anywhere else besides right next to me. She’s also keep on bumping my shoulder with hers, although I don’t know whether she’s doing it on purpose.

   ‘Oops, sorry.’ she says to me for the umpteenth time after she bumps into me.

   ‘Shishiaki-senpai, can you keep a distance from me? My shoulder’s not as sturdy as you think, you know?’

   ‘Sorry, no can do.’

   ‘Wow, that was even faster than we expected.’ I hear Sakuya whispering at the back.

   ‘One more to the count.’ Mashiro whispers.

   ‘Indeed.’ Ichika agrees.

   ‘I guess his skill has improved again.’ Madoka adds.

   Natsuho turns around to look at them.

   ‘What are all of ya talking about?’ she asks curiously.

   ‘Nothing.’ all of them answer in unison.

   ‘How suspicious. Ya know anything about it, Kagenashi?’

   ‘Nope. Not a clue.’

   That was a lie, of course. I was just pretending to be dense here. Rescuing Yui is more of the priority here, so I have to add Natsuho into my harem some other time. Assuming she won’t be bored of me by then.

   The trip to the Research Department is the same as the one we have back at Tokyo: a trip to the elevator so that we can go underground. And it’s not the only similarity the two Research Department share. Even the researchers here are an unfriendly bunch.

   ‘I’m sorry for their cold attitude.’ Tomita-senpai apologizes. ‘I can, however, assure you that we always get things done.’

   ‘No need to worry, senpai. We already got used to it.’

   ‘Got used to it? Are you telling me that…’

   ‘Yup.’

   ‘I see.’

   Tomita-senpai brings us to a huge room with lots of gadgets and machines. On a table, there are multiple passports, identification cards placed on top of pieces of papers with our names on it. There are also robes worn by Lost Children cultists being hanged on a rack.

   ‘To make things more convincing, we’ve made these passports and ID cards to go along with our fake identity. And to top things off, we even thought up of a backstory for each of you, in case you were questioned about them.’ Tomita-senpai explains.

   After he’s done explaining, we proceed to take the passport, ID and the piece of paper with our name on it. I assume that we can’t take one on random since our height and weight are usually written on our passport. I don’t know how did Tomita-senpai managed to get all of those things right without measuring them, but it’s not really important.

   I look at my fake ID. I’m supposed to be a guy called Minamoto Satoru whose age is 21 this year. Oh boy, I hope Lost Children don’t have those after-work parties where the employees are forced to get drunk and wasted by their superiors, since I’m actually underaged.

   The fake ID also shows the picture of a guy that’s definitely not me. I guess the machines I see near us will transform our face to fit the one printed at the card. On to my backstory.

   Minamoto Satoru is a former college student who’s on the run for murdering his landlord over rent money with his magic. He had joined Lost Children ever since to avoid being arrested by the police. His hobby is playing chess.

   Right. I’m going to change the last bit to cooking on my own accord since I’ve never played a game of chess in my entire life. I don’t even know why the hobby part is necessary.

   ‘So, are we supposed to take the face-changing operation right now?’ I ask Tomita-senpai.

   He instead looks at Madoka.

   ‘What do you think, Kojima-san?’

   She shakes her head. ‘It’s too early for that. Whenever a base of Lost Children asks for reinforcements, they’re always set to arrive at two in the morning to avoid suspicion from prying eyes.’

   ‘While we’re on the subject, how do their shifts work?’ I ask.

   ‘The number of cultists in a base has been decided from the get go. However, the base would ask for reinforcements if there’s something or someone they needed to guard there. Coincidentally, the Kamagasaki base has asked for more cultists from their HQ two days ago, and they’re supposed to arrive tomorrow.’

   ‘Hold on, how are we supposed ta mix in da bunch if they already knew how many people are comin’?’ Natsuho asks.

   ‘We could ask the students of the Academy to attack them, and we could sneak in among them in the middle of confusion. We could also ask them to remove any extra cultists from sight so that the numbers match.’ I suggest.

   ‘But, what if those cultists already know what the others look like?’

   I shrug. ‘Then I guess all of them have to be defeated. Can I ask you to gather some students to help us with that, Isa-senpai?’

   The vice-president nods. ‘Of course.’

   ‘Hey, wait a minute! I’m da one in charge here!’ Natsuho shouts.

   I look at her, then back at Isa-senpai again.

   ‘Can I ask you to gather some students to help us with that, Isa-senpai?’ I ask her once more.

   ‘Um, for the second time, yes.’

   ‘Hey, listen ta me!’

   I straight up refuse to do that. This simply get on Natsuho’s nerves.

   ‘Sakuya! Is he always this irritating?’ she asks Sakuya while pointing her finger at me.

   ‘You’ll get used to it, Natsuho-chan.’ Sakuya comforts her in a tone without a single hint of emotion.

   While I’m having fun at bullying Natsuho, I’m also glad that she’s calling Sakuya by her given name. It could only means that she took the first step of trying to be friends with her.

   ‘Anyway, I’ll do it at once.’ Isa-senpai tries to ignore the commotion going on and takes out her phone.

   Meanwhile, Tomita-senpai is showing the rest of us the machine to change our face works. It looks like a hair steamer you find in saloons, except that it’s square instead of round. It’s also connected to a computer.

   ‘Here’s how this works.’ he begins explaining. ‘All you have to do is put your face inside this square for a few minutes, and the fake face will be put on your real one like a mask. It won’t hurt at all, so there’s no need to worry.’

   Mashiro raises up her hand.

   ‘Will it be easy to take it off?’

   ‘Yes. As mentioned, it’s like a mask, so you can take it off quite easily.’

   ‘Next question. Mashiro needs to take off her choker so that her cover won’t be blown, but that makes her left eye become red in color. Do you have anything that Mashiro can use?’

   ‘Me too. My blonde hair and green eyes will stand out too much.’ Sakuya adds.

   ‘Yes. We have lots of colored contacts and wigs. You can use those.’

   Next, Tomita-senpai shows us another machine that can change our voice. It looks like the device they use to help patients breathe when they’re in a coma or critical conditions that you can find in hospitals. Instead of being filled with oxygen, Tomita-senpai explains to us that it’s filled with a gas similar to helium.

   ‘Inhaling the gas will change your voice, and the effects will last for a few days, instead of just a few seconds. Iy you want your real voice back immediately, we also have a machine that can suck away the gas inside your body, so please rest assured.’

  ‘Wow, a mask machine and a voice changer? The people in Research Department really thought of everything, huh?’ I say.

   ‘To be honest, we got the inspiration after watching way too many spy movies.’ Tomita-senpai confesses while looking embarrassed. ‘These are some of the inventions that we made on the spur of the moment. We never thought that they would be of use.’

   ‘I’m sorry to be rude, senpai, but do you people have too much time on your hand?’

   ‘We don’t. We have absolutely no time to fool around.’

   ‘And you made these inventions anyway?’

   ‘Don’t you ever felt like you just want to do something just for the heck of it? Even if you have much important things to do?’

   ‘As a matter of fact, I do.’

   I know that feeling all too well. When I was still in high school at my old life, there was a time that I wanted to clear a video game that I just bought in two days. Without sleeping. Nor going to school. In the end, I did manage to do it, but as you might have guessed there were consequences.

   ‘Then you should know that having no time is not an excuse.’

   ‘Yes. My apologies for my stupid question.’

   Wordlessly, the two of us shook hands and look at each other like we’re long lost brothers.

   ‘What’s going on?’ I hear Natsuho asking Sakuya.

   ‘Boys.’ Sakuya says as if it explains everything.

   Isa-senpai lets out a small cough. All of us turn to look at her.

   ‘I’ve contacted the Reception Department. They’ve promised to contact the students required for the pretend attack on our behalf.’

   ‘Thank you, Isa-senpai.’ I say to her.

   ‘Think nothing of it.’

   I look at the time through my phone.

   ‘So, what now? There’s still a few hours left until the beginning of the operation.’

   ‘It’s time for another sleep-over!’ Sakuya says energetically.

   I roll my eyes. ‘Of course it is.’

   It’s pretty much a tradition at this point, just like how we always use helicopters to move around.

   ‘You could join in every once in a while, you know.’

   ‘President, please do not suggest something so inappropriate.’ Ichika chides.

   ‘Besides, it’ll be very awkward if I’m around, right?’

   ‘No, it won’t. We’ll just be talking about you like we always do.’

   ‘I stand corrected.’

   ‘Hol’ up. Where are ya girls even planning ta sleep at?’ Natsuho asks.

   ‘Yours, of course.’ Sakuya answers in a as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

   ‘What? Why? Just because we’re friends now it doesn’t mean dat we can have sleepover at ma place! I need some mental preparations first!’

   ‘Oh, what’s there to be shy about? It’s just a sleepover.’

   ‘Well, um, I know! My room’s a mess!’

   ‘I am absolutely certain that the state of your room is nothing compared to the one that belongs to our president.’ Ichika tells her.

   ‘Thank you for that unhelpful comment, Ichika-chan.’

   ‘Ah. It’s nice to have someone take over my job every once in a while.’ I say in relief.

   ‘Won’t you let us spend a night at your room, Natsuho-chan?’ Sakuya continues to plea while pointedly ignoring me. ‘We’ll tell you lots of things about Akira-kun~.’

   Unfortunately, that promise got Natsuho’s attention.

   ‘Lots of things? Including some embarrassing ones?’

   ‘Yup yup!’

   ‘Alright! Ta my room! Follow me, girls!’

   ‘I’ll just sit this one out, thank you.’ Isa-senpai declines.

   Natsuho shrugs. ‘Your loss.’

   I didn’t bother to stop them. It’s futile anyway. After most of the girls are gone, Tomita-senpai looks at me.

   ‘How about you? You could stay at one of our rooms if you want.’

   Suddenly, my social awkwardness kicks in. I’m not really comfortable with sleeping at the same room with someone I barely know. Then again, it would be a bad idea to refuse his offer and ask for an alternative accommodation. Just as I’m panicking, Isa-senpai comes to my rescue. I don’t even know how she manages to figure out what I was thinking.

   ‘Perhaps you prefer to sleep at one of the spare rooms.’

   ‘Um, yes please.’ I try not to sound too eager before answering.

   ‘Before that, let’s go have dinner.’ Tomita-senpai suggests. ‘I’m starving.’

   Under his suggestion, we went to a restaurant that specializes in making okonomoyaki. They were quite delicious. No wonder it’s Osaka’s specialty. After we’re done eating, I follow them to the dorm.

   The dorm here is also pretty much built the same way as it counterpart at Tokyo. If it wasn’t for the different guards on duty, I would have thought that I’ve never left.

   Isa-senpai had a few words with one of the security guards so that I could get a spare key to one of the rooms. I was fine with getting a room that C Rank will be living in, but she insists that I get a key for an A Rank’s room. After getting the key, they accompany me to get to my temporary room.

   ‘Have a good rest. We’ll see you again in a few hours.’ Isa-senpai tells me before I go inside.

   ‘Yes. See you in a few hours.’

   ‘And Kagenashi?’ Tomita-senpai stops me when I’m about to go in.

   I turn around to look at him. ‘Yes?’

   ‘Don’t worry about the fact that you didn’t accept my offer. I know there are people out there like you that wants some personal space.’

   ‘Oh. Thank you. And I’m sorry.’

   ‘No need to apologize. Good night.’

   ‘Yes. Good night.’

   The room I’m taking a temporary refuge has the same size as my room back at Tokyo, and that’s all the similarity the two rooms share. Here, there’s only the most basic of furnitures. Not that it matters since I’m only spending a single night here.

   I go inside the bathroom to take a bath, then I take out my towel, toothbrush and toothpaste with my teleportation magic and brushes my teeth while drying my body with the towel. Next, I get out my sleepwear and change into it. Finally, I go to bed so that I could at least get a brief rest.

20