Chapter 74: Battle at the Kogane Shrine (2)
706 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The one who opens the door is an elderly man who looks like a skeleton with extremely white hair. He’s mostly skins and bones, and his eyes are sunken. He’s so shriveled no one would doubt him if he told them that he’s a mummy. His most distinct feature is that he’s missing his entire right arm.

   Tanabe and Yui stare at each other for a few seconds. Just as the atmosphere is getting awkward, he opens up his mouth to talk.

   ‘Did you said that you’re a Kiryuu?’ he asks her in a husky voice.

   ‘Yes sir.’ Yui answers a bit nervously.

   He grunts. ‘For better or worse, you look nothing like that Kiryuu Genjirou, at least appearance wise.’

   ‘People comments that I look more like my mother when she was younger.’

   He grunts again. ‘So you do.’

   His gaze falls on me. ‘Who are you, boy? I don’t sense a single shred of power similar to ours from you, so you’re definitely not an onmyoji.’

   ‘He’s Kagenashi Akira, a student of the Royal Blade Academy.’ Yui introduces.

   Something about Yui’s tone made Tanabe stare intensely at me. It’s making me a bit uncomfortable.

   ‘...I see. So what business do you have with me, young Kiryuu?’ he asks.

   ‘Well, it’s nothing important, to be honest. I’ve always wanted to talk to a Head Priest who isn’t my father.’

   ‘Bah. You’re better off referencing your father if you want a role model. I’ve done nothing but mistakes when I was the Head Priest, and it was already too late by the time I realized that I was in the wrong.’

   Yui looks very troubled with his refusal. I mean, he’s right. It’s not really a good idea to talk to him when he had been a tyrant. Then again, it’s what my girlfriend wants. So I guess I should help.

   ‘Tanabe-san, I know I might be rude in saying this, but you should bestow your wisdom to Yui because you’re a bad role model. You don’t want her to end up like you, do you?’

   Tanabe considers what I just said. Then he grunts.

   ‘I suppose you’re right. Very well. Come inside, both of you.’

   And so, the two of us go inside his room. Similar to the exterior, the inside of the room is as plain as it gets. The furnitures are the most basic ones, and a simple futon is folded up at a corner. Tanabe sits down at onside of a small dining table, while Yui and I sit down on the other.

   ‘Pardon my room. It’s nowhere that young people such as yourself will ever go near, but it has served me well over the years.’ Tanabe apologizes.

   I glance sideways at Yui. She’s still looking kind of nervous and has a look of someone who’s preparing her speech inside her head, so I have to answer in her stead.

   ‘Please don’t mind us. We’re the ones who should apologize for intruding.’

   ‘Ordinarily, I would have my servants to serve you tea. However, the situation outside is everything but ordinary, as you know clearly. The secret spawn of Shimada Chisato has really got us good this time.’

   I absolutely did not expect him to know that. Neither did Yui. The two of us look at him in shock. Our reaction makes him smile.

   ‘Just because I’ve never go outside my room, it doesn’t mean that I have zero information network. After all, I have my reliable shikigamis.’

   ‘So, does that means you know that we’ll be having a match with his team tomorrow?’ I ask him.

   ‘Naturally. I didn’t rely on my shikigamis to find out about that, though.’

   ‘Then, how did you managed to do it?’

   He uses his left index finger to point his left ear. Wow, someone has a sharp hearing. I mean, the distance between the main hall which we talked with Zaimoto and this room is quite far.

   Tanabe lets out a mournful sigh. ‘I have made lots of mistakes when I was young and right until I retired. However, this one truly takes the cake. I will never forgive myself for the incident until I reach the Sanzu River.’

   Yui finally picks up enough courage to strike up a conversation with him.

   ‘That reminds me, Former Head Priest Tanabe. Why did you decided to purge the Shimada clan?’

   ‘Just Tanabe is fine, young Kiryuu. That title is so pointless it actually pains me to hear it. As for why I did it, I let Shimada’s betrayal get it over my head.’

   ‘...That’s it?’ I ask.

   ‘That’s it. I was overcome by anger, plain and simple. Such a foolish, foolish mistake.’

   ‘Is that really all there is to it? I’m not acting like I know you, Tanabe-san, but based on how you had been in charge of us all these times, I’m sure there’s some hidden meaning to it.’ Yui states.

   Tanabe stares at her for a few seconds before speaking again.

   ‘I take back what I said. You are indeed Kiryuu Genjirou’s daughter. He too, realized that I was hiding something when I ordered the execution. I never told him what, but I shall tell you.’

   ‘Thank you.’

   I suddenly have the nagging suspicion that this is the real reason Yui wanted to talk him, but whatever I guess. Tanabe clears his throat softly before he begins.

   ‘How much do you know about Kunohana no Sakuya-hime?’ he starts by asking.

   ‘She is the Goddess which represents spring. She is also the Goddess that governs Mountain Fuji.’

   ‘And what kind of mountain is Mountain Fuji?’

   ‘It’s one of the three Sacred Mountains.’

   From Tanabe’s expression, I could tell that he’s not satisfied with Yui’s answer. I have a feeling that I know the real answer he’s looking for. It’s a useless knowledge that I got when I learned it in geography class during high school, but it sure applies here.

   ‘It’s an active volcano.’ I answer in her stead.

   ‘Correct.’ he finally says.

   Somehow, Yui manages to find the next piece of the puzzle just from my answer. Her eyes widen in shock.

   ‘And, She’s needed to keep it inactive.’

   ‘Correct.’

   ‘If Shimada-san refused to dismiss her, Mountain Fuji might erupt, and countless lives would have been lost.’

   ‘Correct. And that’s exactly what she threatened to do back then. Shimada told me that if I forbid her from using Sakuya-hime’s power to help the less fortunate, she would make Muntain Fuji erupt.’

   ‘How’s that going to help the less fortunate?’ I couldn’t help but ask.

   ‘I believe she was merely trying to drive me to a corner. Naturally, I refused to bow down to her threat. In the end, we agreed to have a match to settle things once and for all. However, things took a worse turn even before our match began.’

   He has a really grim look right now. I gulp nervously and wait patiently for him to continue.

   ‘I do not mean to brag, but I have the absolute confidence that my skill in forceful dismissal is the best when compared with other omnyojis of two or even three generations apart. Shimada knew it too. To counter it, she did everything she can to increase her spiritual power to better use Sakuya-hime’s divine power. Including forcing her clan members to hand over most of their spiritual powers to her.’

   Yui gasps loudly at that. I’m not really knowledgeable about the spiritual power that they use, but it sure sounds like a bad idea that could lead to a disaster, which of course it did. I just don’t know what.

   ‘For the benefit of you, boy, allow me to explain. Unlike mana that you use to cast magic, we omnyojis rely on our spiritual power. One thing that differentiates mana from spiritual power is that while mana is rechargeable by resting and taking in food, one cannot recovers spiritual power. And do you know what will happen to those who have little to no spiritual power?’

   I shake my head slowly.

   ‘You see, we omnyojis and the priests of the west are more suitable to fight against rogue spirits due to our spiritual power. We’re also easiest to get possessed should we let our guard down. The same thing happened to those from the Shimada’s clan when they gave up most of their spiritual power to their clan leader.’

   ‘Please wait a minute. Are you saying that when you ordered their execution…’

   ‘Yes. It was because they were already beyond saving.’

   ‘Couldn’t you have just, I don’t know, force those spirits to leave their body?’

   ‘I could have, but those spirits were too powerful to be exorcised in an instant. While we were still doing that, they would have harmed their host body in the most horrific way imaginable, and believe me when I said that. I’ve seen it countless times before. It was not helping that I only found out about their fate after the match was over. By then, a lot of the Shimada clan members were too far gone. The least I could do was make their eternal rest swift.’

   ‘How many people actually knows of the truth? They wouldn’t have forced you to retire as the Head Priest otherwise, right?

   ‘Thankfully, only my clan members know of what happened to the Shimadas, as I have forbid every other clan from intervening. As such, they didn’t even know what the Shimada clan did.’

   ‘Thankfully?’

   ‘As much as Shimada Chisato was completely in the wrong, I still have to applaud her effort in serving the people. Her dedication gained her great respect over the years, and she was well loved by the people as well. It would break their heart if the truth was out.’

   ‘So you try to shift their attention to you by declaring that you butchered the entire Shimada Clan, even though you did no such thing.’

   He nods in confirmation. ‘Technically, I must take full responsibility as the Head Priest who failed to stop those working under him from committing this foolishness. Retiring is too light a punishment for a sinner such as myself.’

   I’m trying my very best not to look at the stump on his right side. I’m pretty sure the missing right arm will disagree with him.

   ‘Please don’t blame yourself, Tanabe-san.’ Yui comforts him. ‘The death of the Shimada clan members are not really your fault.’

   ‘She’s right. No matter what anyone might say, I at least would say that you did your best, sir.’ I add.

   ‘I think so too.’ Yui agrees.

   Tanabe looks less tensed for the first time ever since we started talking.

   ‘Thank you for your kind words. Now, as much as I a grateful for them, I still need to have your words that you will not tell another soul about this. Can I count on you on that?’

   Yui and I nod at the same time. Tanabe also nods in satisfaction. He then looks at me.

   ‘I will not ask you how you manage to know of our dark past, boy. In return, I wish you will keep a secret to it as well.’

   I nod once more. ‘Of course.’

   ‘Good. Now then, you should leave soon. After all, you have a big day ahead of you.’

   ‘Speaking of which, is it possible if you fight alongside us, Tanabe-san?’ Yui pleads.

   ‘It really helps with you around. After all, Zaimoto was afraid to mess with you without the power of the Dragon God.’ I add.

   ‘I’m happy that you have so much faith in me. However, I am nothing but an old relic. I do not think I can be of any help to you.’ he declines.

   Just as I’m feeling disappointed, Tanabe gets up and goes to his closet. He opens it and pulls out a beautiful staff commonly by Buddhist monk called khakkhara. Yui gasps loudly when she saw the staff.

   ‘I could not help you in any way, but the least I could do is gift you my old friend. It has served me well over the years before I stopped my work as an omnyoji. I believe it is time for it to be used by a new master.’

   ‘T-T-T-T-T-T-T-Tanabe-san! There’s no way I can accept that staff of all things!’ Yui stutters uncontrollably.

   ‘Nonsense. Rather than collecting dust inside a closet, this one’s better off with you. Take it.’

   ‘Come on Yui, just take it.’ I tell her while gently pushing her back.

   Yui couldn’t take the pressure from the two of us, so she reaches out both her hands to accept the staff from Tanabe.

   ‘I, I think I just used up my entire life’s worth of luck…’ Yui whispers.

   She’s looking at the staff like it’s worth a million yen. I don’t know what’s the deal with it, but it must be pretty important and/or powerful for her to react like this.

   ‘Good luck with you match tomorrow.’ he wishes us.

   ‘Thank you. Come on Yui, let’s not bother him any longer.’

   ‘...Huh? Oh. Right. Please excuse us, Tanabe-san.’

   We leave the room and head to the guest rooms. Along the way, Yui is still staring intently at the staff.

   ‘Is that staff that much of a big deal?’ I ask curiously.

   ‘Yes. This staff was known to be used by Xuanzang, the monk who travelled to India.’

   I was so impressed I whistled. ‘Setting aside the fact that Buddhism and Shintoism are two entirely different religion, that’s one staff that withstood the passage of time. How did Tanabe-san even gets his hand on it?’

   ‘I have no idea, but as he said, they went through a lot together. I can’t believe he just gave it to me like this. This is my second best present ever!’

   ‘Oh, what’s number one then?’

   Yui suddenly becomes all timid. Her face is slightly red, and she’s fidgeting as she walks.

   ‘Well, it’s going to be a while before I receive it. Probably a few years.’ she whispers.

   ‘Wait, so you’re yet to receive it? And you’re already that happy?’

   She nods shyly.

   I try my best to figure out what the present might be. She’s constantly stealing glances at me, so I guess it would come from me. What will I be giving her in a few years?

   …Oh.

   ‘Say, Yui?’

   ‘Yes?’

   ‘Have you measured the size of your finger yet?’

   She looks extremely happy as I got it right.

   ‘I haven’t, though. And I think we should all do it together once we’re ready for it.’

   ‘Alright. If that’s what you want.’

   Yui’s expression suddenly becomes serious.

   ‘Do you think Zaimoto-san knows of the truth behind the purging of his clan?’ she asks me.

   ‘Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. I don’t really think it matters.’ I reply. ‘Either way, he’s dead set on exploiting divine powers. We have to stop him. That’s all that matters.’

   ‘Even so, I really want to tell him tomorrow. It’s only fair that he knows the truth.’

   ‘You can’t. you promised Tanabe-san not to tell, remember?’ I remind her.

   Yui lowers her head in disappointment. ‘That’s right. I’ve forgotten.’

   We were having trouble on finding which guest room that everyone is in until I hear some voices coming from one of them. I knock at the door. Sakuya’s muffled voice tells us to come in.

   The first thing all of them notice is the staff Yui’s holding.

   ‘Is that the khakkhara used by Xuanzang?’ Madoka asks.

   ‘Yes it is. Tanabe-san gave it to me when we visited him.’ Yui answers happily.

   ‘Speaking of which, how did your talk with him went?’ Saya asks.

   ‘I cannot tell all of you too much, but we more or less found out about the truth behind what really happened during the match a few years ago.’

   ‘No worries. I’ll just do my own investigation again.’ Madoka tells Yui without a care.

   ‘More importantly, did you persuade him to help us tomorrow or something?’ Saya asks.

   ‘I’ve tried, but he claimed that he’s too old to help out. He did gave me this.’ Yui shows them the staff again.

   ‘It cannot be helped then. We would have to do our best all by ourselves tomorrow.’ Ichika says.

   All of us nod in agreement. I sit down at a random spot, while Yui puts away her new staff and do the same. Just as we’re about to talk strategy, I hear a knock on the door.

   ‘Yes?’ I ask.

   ‘We’re here to deliver your dinner.’ I hear Hiraoka-san’s voice over the door.

   ‘We?’

   ‘Yes. Myself and a few other servants who work here.’

   ‘Please come in.’ I tell her.

   Hiraoka-san, Hamada-san and a few servants I’ve never seen before enter the room with a tray full of food. They put down the food quietly, get up, bow, and leave the room in equal silence.

   I stare at my share of the food with a rude thought. Tomita-senpai, on the other hand, says the exact same thought I had inside my head out loud.

   ‘They’re not poisoned or drugged, are they?’ he asks on one in particular.

   Mashiro picks up a plate of grilled mackerel and sniffs it. ‘Smells fine to Mashiro.’

   ‘How could you even tell?’ I ask her curiously.

   ‘Mashiro was trained to detect any irregularities in food since she was small by her grandfather, just in case she was targeted for assassination.’

   ‘That’s a useful yet sad talent to have.’ I comment.

   Mashiro shrugs. ‘Times are hard.’

   ‘It’s not that I’m doubting you, Fuyukaze-san. However, we’re technically in enemy base, so we should practise caution to the max.’ Tomita-senpai says to her.

   Mashiro shrugs once more. ‘Fair enough.’

   He proceeds to take out his phone.

   ‘I’ve installed an application in my phone to allow me to use it as a scanner to scan for tampered food.’ he explains.

   He then scans all of our food. The phone didn’t make a single sound throughout the entire time he was doing the scanning. After he’s done, he looks up from his phone and nods. That’s a green light for us to eat the food.

   We eat our food silently. After we’re done, I go out to look for the servants so that the trays could be collected. Common courtesy demands us to do it ourselves, but we don’t know where the kitchen is, and I honestly don’t think it’s a good idea to wander around here anymore than we have to.

   Now that our stomach’s filled, it’s time to talk strategy. There’s too many uncertainties for to decide on a flawless strategy, so we just decided on a formation, who to attack and who to defend, and who to act as the general support. When we reached a general consensus, we leave the room leaving Isa-senpai inside and choose a random room for ourselves so that we could get some sleep.

15