[Chapter 1]
2.6k 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, a little background, so I won't have to explain so much later on.

This evening is my senior prom. I'm wearing a blue, three-piece suit to the dance and I'm astounded my parent spent their money on a suit for me to wear just for this occasion. It's actually an off-the-rack suit, so it's a little tight on me. Looking down, I let out a disgruntled sigh. Well, let's simply say, I can't see my feet without bending over. Yes, I admit it, I'm overweight., No, I'm not obese, simply a little chubby.

Sheer, white drapes cover the entire gym ceiling and walls, These obscure the rows of blue and purple lights, making the ceiling look like a starry sky while assortments of flowers decorate the thin drapes. A number of students, wearing expensive tuxedos and dresses, are dancing. With no teacher in sight to stop them, some of them are dancing much closer than the rules allow for.

I lean forward so I can see my reflection in the punch bowl, which leads to my shoulders drooping and me leaking out another sigh. It's a little hard to see because the pink punch isn't all that great at of a mirror and  the flashing lights around me keep washing it out. However, I could still make out my short dark hair and my rather drab, generic face. So generic that a classmate of mine, who had been my lab partner for three months, had no idea what  I looked like.

‘Okay, stop it. My self-esteem is low enough even without me putting myself down. Let's get back to the party,’ I think.

I look down to see two cups of Mr. Simon's famous punch in my hands. I still don't understand why Mr. Simon calls it his famous punch, since it's mediocre at best, but maybe it's the ingredients that he uses to make it. Ginger is the main thing you can taste in it, but, honestly, it's not as if I really care.

Why two cups of punch? Well, one is for me and the other is for Bridget, the most popular girl in school. Glancing behind me, I let out a small smile as I see Bridget talking to her friends. Yes, that beautiful girl is my date for tonight and that tight red dress would trigger a teenager hormone overload in a matter of seconds. With her blonde, wavy hair; silky, flawless skin; and a voluptuous body that even rivals that of a Victoria cover model; she rules the school with both beauty and brains.

How did I get such a beautiful girl to go out with me? Well, I just gathered my courage and asked her like a normal person would, and it actually worked. I couldn't believe it at first, but here I am. However, it didn't come without a price, I had a fight with my only friend, Daisie. She said, “Bridget doesn't really care about me and that she is doing this to make fun of me.”

Of course, I didn't believe her, and I angrily yelled  at her and caused her to cry. A jerk, better add that to the list of what I am now. I didn't mean to make her cry, but she was pushing my buttons.

Still, her words stung me because I have doubts. Not about Bridget not liking me or doesn't care for me, but about myself. Even after I went on a couple of date with Bridget, I couldn't find anything in common with her. I feel that we have no connection at all, but I don't want to break up with her, and I don't want to break her heart.

I don't want to see another girl cry because of me.

However, I don't want to be in a relationship with someone that I didn't truly love with all my heart. My thought is muddle by my teenage love life problems. I wonder if I should call Mom and Dad to ask them for advice. Oh my god, I sound like a spoiled little kid right now.

I let out a long groan in frustration. If Daisie were here, she would tell me to break up with her. She's right, I have too, perhaps after the dance, I don't want to do it right here in front of the entire students that would be bad.

"Hey! Andre, what is taking you so long?" I turn around and see Bridget is waving at me with her hand while drawing me with her eyes.

I force a smile on my face and start to walk toward her with two drinks in my hands. At the corner of my eye, I can see someone that I'd definitely like to avoid right now, heading toward me, it's him, Jack. If the only way to avoid him would be to rip my face off right, I would do it.

Slick, short brunette hair, perfect muscular body, and tan skin while wearing a very expensive black tuxedo. The quarterback of the high school football team, and the cruelest person in this school. A bully and a jock, what a combo. A stereotypical bully, if you have seen any teen TV show or movies about high school. He always makes my life a living hell.

Why did he have to come to the prom tonight?

Ahh man. I've seriously been dreading this moment.

I stop in my tracks when Jack walks up to Bridget, and wraps his arm around her waist. They both look at me with mischievous grins on their faces, like I'm a cockroach or something.

"Oh, poor Andre... You still haven't realized it, do you?" She  says with condescendingly. Her coup de grâce is leaning in to kiss Jack's cheek.

"I've been dating Jack the whole time while I pretend to go out with you."

"If you're with Jack, then why did you agree to go out with me?" I ask while both my eyebrows raise in confusion.

"It was all part of his plan and... mine."

"First, I would go out with you, then make you fall in love with me, and then when it's time for prom, I would dump you right in front of everyone, and make you cry like a baby."

My chin tilts down while I replace my smile with a pursed lips, then one of the stage lights shine upon me, and the music stops playing. Everyone in the room locks their eyes on me while I hold the two drinks.

"Andre! I'm breaking up with you! You dork!" Bridget's overly loud announcement echoes in the gym. Everyone could hear what she said, while Jack grins evilly. He then leans in to kiss Bridget's soft lips, and their tongues intertwine as they kiss each other.

After they break away their kiss, Bridget says, "Besides yours is much smaller than he is." Jack laughs loudly at her hurtful comment while I stand locked in place.

"Daisie... was right all along," before I could finish my sentence, a cold liquid drenches my whole body. After turning my head to the side, I can see Jack's two cronies are holding the empty punch bowl up above me.

The pink liquid drip down from my jacket sleeves onto the floor, the ice cold punch causes my whole body to shiver a bit while I adjust to the cold.

The two cups of punch that I'm holding are now overflowing with the same punch which now soaks me from head to toe. The sickening laughter of Jack's cronies comes behind me. Everyone either looks at me with sympathy or pity, but none of them would ever stand up to Jack for me, and I don't blame them; he is a scary guy, even I won't stand up to him.

I wonder,  if I were someone else, would they be angry, lose to their rage, or might they even break down and cry? Well, to tell the truth, I didn't feel any of that. I'm actually glad mixed in with guilt. Glad, because this girl broke up with me, so I didn't have to and chance hurting her. Guilt, because I had acted like a douchebag toward Daisie.

"I'm an idiot..." I mutter quietly.

"What? Are you gonna cry?" Jack says, his tone clearly dripping with ridicule.

Taking a deep breath, I smile, and say, "Thank you for telling me your honest feelings, Bridget. It's a shame that I couldn't be the one, but I respect your decision."

Calmly, I proudly walk away with a refreshing smile plastered on my face. I could see the confusion and surprise in the stares of the  people in the gym. It's not what they expect of me because they were me to loose my cool, but I don't really care.I All I really want is to get out of here.

"Whatever loser, let's get back to the dance, babe."

I walk through the double door, and look around me. I catch sight of a bench just beside the double doors. With the two drinks still in my hands, I walk toward the wooden bench to sit down

Why am I still holding these?... I let out a sigh, "Whatever."

I place one of the drinks in my hands on the bench and take a sip out of the other one. Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Simon put some ginger ale in this. I let out a sigh again and hunch my body forward while looking at the parking lot full of luxurious cars. The cold and damp wind brush against my face causing me to sneeze.

"It's probably going to rain tonight—I should go to Daisie's house to apologize."

We've always been there for each other through everything. Good or bad didn't matter. I was there when her mother  passed away, and the time that she won the local Tekken tournament. Why would I've ever doubted her about Bridget? She is the only person, other than my family, that actually cares about me, and she has been my friend for as long as I can remember.

I wonder if she came to the prom with some else. I mean, there's no reason why she shouldn't have. She’s cute and adorable underneath all her tomboyishness. Coming to the prom with some else, why is that thought make my heart ache?

Daisie...she has this cute, and quiet sneeze that  jerks her entire body. I once laughed at her over that and she  sulked for quite a while afterward. It took two days of apologizing to end the standoff. However, the biggest fight I had with her recently, it isn't anything like the small playful ones I've had with her in the past. I don't think she'll forgive me because I said some pretty horrible things in the heat of the moment.

I don't know what to do. I'm so frustrated with myself right now.

I suddenly stand up, spilling a little punch from my cup, and then I  scream at the top of my lungs, "I'M SORRY, DAISIE!! I HAVE BEEN A FREAKING IDIOT AND A JERK!!! I'M REALLY SORRY—that I hurt you... I'm an idiot, so please forgive me."

Tears well up in my eyes as I let out a growl of frustration. Afterward, my I sit down again while frowning as I place a hand on my forehead.

"Apology accepted."

Jerking my head up in surprise to see Daisie standing a few feet away from me with both her hands behind her back. Looking at me with a gentle smile that could soothe the troubled heart of anyone simply by seeing it.

26