Book 1: Chapter 23: Rose: Sleeping Library
610 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is one place I remember vividly, a place I’m always at during my time here, when I have slight moment of freedom…

Now is no time to reminisce, I have to look around this place and search for her, even if she might not be here at this time.

Hm? Ah, it’s that girl from yesterday, how odd that we happened to meet again… actually, considering how she’s acquainted with my sister if her words are to be believe, then she’s my best bet to acquire my sister’s condition and location. 

“Hey” I greeted as I approach her.

“Ah! It’s you… um… hi?” She replied. Now how would I inquire information on her without looking suspicious?

“Say, didn’t you talk about a friend of yours before? Is she still sick or something?” I asked. Hopefully she won’t ask my reasoning.

“I heard she’ll come back tomorrow” She replied. That’s good to hear. Now I just have to find her tomorrow, but what’ll be the best chance of meeting her? Obviously during the break right now, and perhaps she’ll be here along with this girl, but it’s not guaranteed. Maybe I should suggest this girl to bring her along next time.

“Is that so? Well… I would like to meet this friend of yours if you don’t mind” Was that too direct? It better not be too direct.

“That’s fine… can I ask why?” She said. Great she’s getting curious, or suspicious, or both, regardless I need a good reasoning… 

“...Well according to you I look somewhat similar to this friend of yours right? I was curious as to how much” I replied.

“True, I want to see you side by side as well, not everyday lookalikes meet” She said.

“Guess we can agree on that” I replied. This girl is reading something before I greeted her, what is it about I wonder?

“Say, what were you reading?” I asked.

“About the Hero” She replied. The Hero… it’s uncomfortable talking about her all things considered, especially with her pitiful end…

“Are you okay?” The girl asked seeing my troubled expression most likely.

“I’m fine, being on the first day of the job is a bit stressful I guess” I replied, it’s not entirely false either so she should buy it.

“Okay. Say do you like reading books?” She asked.

“I have read many” I replied. Every time I was here at the academy I’m usually in the library trying to learn to no avail, or more like I couldn’t act out or do anything said in there for some reason.

“Huh… her sister also read books a lot as well” She commented. If she connected the dots somehow I might be done for, need to play ignorance.

“You mean your friend’s?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

“Yeah, but she’s… gone” The girl said in a sadden tone. 

“Is that so? Poor girl, losing her sister” I replied.

“It’s so sad to see her like that…” The girl said.

“...Say, how does she fare?” I asked. I hope she’s fine.

“She’s alright I guess, I mean she’s not exactly as cheerful or outgoing as before, her parents doesn’t help either” The girl replied. So those two are still at it huh. I would love to get rid of them, but I’m not certain how well that’ll go.

“I see… Well just make sure to invite her to the library tomorrow during this time, I’ll be waiting” I said.

“I’ll remember that” She replied. 

“Good, see you later” I said as I walk away.

 

#####

 

*Clash*

“So much for a wanna be hero” Maova said in a bored tone. I just got back from the library and there’s already trouble brewing. A boy about 17 with dark brown spikey hair and eyes is flailing about against her. It’s so pathetic to look at.

“Shut up!” The boy said, though considering my age I shouldn’t address him that way, even if my physical appearance look a few years older.

“You even have a mage hiding somewhere to assist you making you look more impressive, how noble” Maova said in a clearly sarcastic tone.

*Strike*

“Gaa!” The boy let out as he get pushed back by Maova’s strike, his blade swatted away like nothing and him flying and falling onto the floor.

*Dash*

Suddenly Maova rush toward a peculiar location.

*Grab*

“Urk!” She grabbed a man hiding out of sight within the bushes, I’m not quite sure how she managed to locate the person so quickly, but I’ll force the answer out of her soon enough. The boy meanwhile is completely perplexed by what he’s seeing, I wonder if he even know that man was there. Maova then walk while dragging the struggling man to the other students, who are present and saw the whole thing, I think I have seen some of them before. Maybe my class? Not that I pay attention to them anyway.

“Anyway, able to detect your enemies is quite important, keep that in mind” Maova said as she let go of the man, and he quickly scurry away. There’s one man who seems to be the homeroom teacher as well, I definitely saw him before, so it’s likely that this is my class before I got disinherited and all that nonsense. I have no particular attachment to them, but it would be inconvenient if they even have a clue as to who I actually am.

“Hey Rosia, done with your little break? How about you helping your pal here teach the kids?” Maova said after she noticed me.

“I’m not in the mood” I replied.

“Is that so? Then go do whatever, I’ll manage this myself” She replied. I don’t exactly want to leave her alone, but I don’t want to stay with these people either… guess I’ll do what I usually do around here.

“...See you in the library after you’re done” I said as I walk to the library leaving her alone with the old classmates.

 

#####

 

Well I’m back in the library, and no one else is around aside from the librarian who doesn’t seem to take notice of me. It’s more convenient that way. Now then, I guess I’ll find something to read, maybe I’ll actually comprehend the text and act upon it this time around.

Let’s see, I think I have seen this book before, let’s take a look at it… seems like it’s a book about magic, let’s take a look.

*Flip*

Is there anything interesting here I wonder… there’s many type of magic described here, and there seems to be some theory on how it is use as well, along with some historical facts.

Ritual Magic: A type of magic which is invoke by a ritual. Ritual Magic are much wider in scale and much more effective than other type of spell. The prerequisite of this kind of magic may involved runes, long invocation, multiple casters, or even sacrifices.

Song Spell: A type of spell cast using a song, a type of incantation magic. Often use as invigorating support-type magic, such as recovering the recipient’s stamina and increase their dexterity and agility, and perhaps their fortune. It is documented to be use as a recovery spell as well. 

Dance Spell: A type of spell cast by the act of dancing which have no need for incantation. Often use as invigorating support-type magic, such as recovering the recipient’s stamina and increase their strength, magical power and defense against both physical and magical attack. If one is skillful enough it is possible for this type of spell of affect multiple people.

Magic Tome: A magical tool that cast spell on the behalf of the user. Each page inscribed an incantation one must recite to activate the spell, with each page burning away upon use. A great tool for practicing chanting spells and using magic for the first time. Some tome are known to never run out, but those are incredibly rare and often safeguarded.

Magic Stones: Some stones can house a large amount of mana to be use, often the stones with these sort of properties are gemstones and they are generally rare, therefore it is advised to only be use during emergency when the caster’s mana is low.

Many things to note of for certain, I do remember reading about these before but next to nothing can be recalled. I supposed it doesn’t really matter but it does make me feel a bit more disconnected with this place than I should ever be…

Let’s just flip the page and see what else is in store.

*Flip*

Let’s see…

Summoning Magic: A type of magic use to summon being from this world or the next to the place of the summoning. Space and time are essential in performing summoning magic, and therefore is extremely difficult to pull off due to the difficulty in controlling the two elements. It is said that some of the well known heroes from the legends are from the different world and with the summoning magic hear the plea of the people and descend onto our world and save it, but it have never been confirmed.

Heroes and summoning magic… wasn’t that girl have the otherworldly title as well? I guess the speculation in this book is in fact correct... What else?

“You reminded me so much of her” A female voice suddenly ringed out in the silent library. I turn to see the librarian observing me, has she been doing that for some time now? Speaking of her she doesn’t look any different from what I remembered. That distinct neck-length green hair of hers and the dark cyan eyes along with a glasses with red frame, she’s a tad bit too noticeable for a librarian if I have to say anything, one come here to be distracted by the books, not the person there. But enough about that, was is she talking about?

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“There’s this one kid who come here all the time, but she’s gone now, honestly it’s not quite the same here without her around. You reminded me of her is all” The librarian explained. So she have noticed some similarities between myself and me back then, it would be bad if she noticed it then figure me out, even if she won’t do anything. And to think there’s someone else even remotely care about my absence.

“Really? And who is this kid I wonder” I said.

“It may sound a bit rude, but I did hear your conversation with that girl not too long ago. This kid is actually the older sister of that girl’s friend, the one who is no longer with us” She explained somewhat solemnly. Looking back at the ritual then why do they bother teleporting me to who-knows-where instead of killing me right there and then. Must’ve been a stupid nobility tradition or something, not complaining considering I survived.

“So now I have gone from being similar to the girl’s friend and now to her friend’s sister. One coincidence after the next. Also I was under the impression you were sleeping back then, you’re awake?” I bluntly said. 

“How rudeꐦ I wasn’t sleeping or anything! That aside it’s almost like you’re actually her, not that that’s the case anyway. You have similar face and demeanor for sure, and the both your voice are more or less identical, but otherwise you look too different, so that’s impossible. But still there’s a familiar feeling about you” She said. I’m glad she use common sense there, if she wasn’t held back by common sense then she might actually figure my identity out right away, still she’s clearly suspicious of me.

“Is it that uncanny?” I asked.

“Well I didn’t interact with her, librarian like me should give people space instead of interacting with them personally. Still the semblances is undeniable” She explained.

“It’s kind of uncomfortable being compared so much” I said trying to derail the conversation.

“Ah, sorry. Well if you do in fact meet with her sister tomorrow she should be able to tell more, she know her way better than me after all” The librarian said.

“I see. Well don’t you feel a bit uncomfortable talking about the dead? Perhaps you should stop” I asked. I know the dead are a sensitive topic so hopefully bringing that up will shut her up as well.

“...Fair point, maybe we should stop talking about that, at least for now. Say what are you doing here exactly? Looking for any book in particular?” I’m glad she drive away from that topic, but she still talk to me.

“Nothing really, I just want to read and learn in my spare time here. That’s it” I replied.

“So much like her… ah I should stop that shouldn’t I. Sorry” She said almost bringing that topic back up again.

“Anyway if you could, please give me some space to read in silence” I said.

“Very well, sorry for bothering you” She said and then go away.

Good, now it’s time for me to keep reading and wait for Maova to be done teaching that class. 

*Flip*

Let’s see…

 

#####

 

Within the silent and peaceful library I can hear the noise of footsteps. 

“I’m back, miss me?” Maova said as she approach me while I sit down with some books by my sides. It’s a bit lonely without her around, but nothing too disheartening I would say.

“A little. Anyway if we’re done here then let’s go… it’s where are we going next?” I asked.

“The dungeon again today, then more practice” She replied.

“Acknowledge, let’s go” I said as I stand up.

“Yep, let’s go” She replied.

 

#####

 

“Say, that woman in the library is quite eye-catching isn’t she?” Maova suddenly said as we walk along the path to the dungeon.

“So you noticed, it is certainly distracting” I noted.

“No kidding. She’s way too attractive to be just a librarian” She said. So she have taken some liking to her hasn’t she?

“What? You have taken to her or something?” I said feeling discontent with her comments. Be considerate.

“What? No nothing like that, just remind me of someone is all” She said.

“Of whom I may ask?” I said feeling suspicious of her comment.

“A fictional character I have seen before” She said, she’s being dodgy for sure, but at least she isn’t thinking about her in a way that would distract her from me.

“Okay then, I’ll believe you. Should elaborate since the start” I said while scorning.

“Hear hear... Sorry” She said.

 

#####

 

*Slash*

“So will we ever get to the bottom of this place?” I asked after slashing away at one of the monsters.

“If we have [Warp] then this will be a non-issue” She said.

“And if we don’t?” I asked.

“Then we’ll have to rush all the way down. I could try to pierce through the ground but it would alarm people who might come here” She explained.

*Slash*

“How about we don’t come here and actually focus on practicing?” I asked.

“I want you to catch up to me, that’s why I have you come here and kill a bunch of monsters” She said.

*Slash*

“Is this really the best time for that?” I exasperatly said.

*Slash*

“If you’re unsatisfied then we’ll come back here later after I learn it” She said.

“That’ll be ideal, so please do” I replied.

*Slash*

 

#####

 

“I was trying to be considerate okay?” Maova said as we are walking out of the dungeon.

“While I can appreciate your goodwill I think you should know to prioritize things better” I snarked.

“Yeah sorry” She said.

“Especially since tomorrow is when she’ll go to school, we need to learn it” I said.

“Wait seriously? Why haven’t you told me? I might considered using more time on getting [Warp] if you just said that” She asked.

“I guess that slipped out of my mind” I said. I supposed I was partially at fault, but it is still mainly hers.

“You should prioritize that regardless of when she’ll come” I retort.

“Can’t you please go easy on me with these criticisms?” She asked.

“No” I replied.

“How cruel” She said.

“Said the person so cruel it looked like they just crush many people’s dream” I retort.

“Okay fair enough, that was a bit hypocritical” She replied.

“Anyway. We, or rather you, will learn this ability as soon as possible and reach the last floor of that dungeon, and of course rescue my sister. Clear on that?” I asked.

“Crystal clear” She replied with a reassuring smile on her.

“Great to hear” I replied feeling a bit more confident in her seeing her say it like that. Perhaps it’ll take a few days, but I’ll get her out. And after everything is over, I’ll go with her, wherever she goes.

20