Book 3: Chapter 21: Majo: Feeling of the Indebted
105 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Floria’s room still we simply sit around for the time being. Since we have more than a few hours before the training begins and therefore the training outside probably in the woods. 

“Say, what exactly are we doing? Wherever you’re going” Floria asked, inquiring about the situation.

“We have to deal with weaklings to put it bluntly, need to babysit them and make sure they can fight, I know it’s a bit much to ask considering your… situation, but I’m sure you can do that much, there’s not much to add” I explained briefly, there’s no need to mention the fact that I’m acquainted with them and whatnot, it’ll probably be better to let the information came naturally rather than just saying it all at the start, probably will make her understand it all a lot better with less difficulty.

“I see… that does sound troublesome” She muttered. This is still in the morning so it’s not the time to go to the academy just yet, I can still go around and try out some things… Well I already secure her a great deal of fortune, and her strength is coming along nicely, just need to let her fight and put her new skills into action… I wonder if the bounty business will be of any issue… 

“Well perhaps I could go do something else for the time being, shouldn’t be the time for the escort until the afternoon… Actually is there any place adventurers would’ve gone outside as their first debut? A novice friendly place if you will” I said then asked, she should have some information on this.

“Just any forest near the capital will do, but really there’s no such thing as a friendly forest, aside from a few dangerous animals nothing should be too dangerous for even newbies to handle, as long as they’re careful” She explained sounding bored. That has to be expected with her general lack of enthusiasm.

“Okay… Is there any chance anything crazy strong exists out there?” I asked for more information, if she even has any.

“Not that I know of, but forests in general is a dangerous place, so I won’t be surprised if something dangerous does exist out there” She replied not particularly caring. Guess I’ll just have to look out if something out of place exists there, either I go check it out now or just stay here with her for now, giving her some company.

…I think I’ll just give her some company, seems a bit too paranoid to just go out there and check, it’s bothersome to look through the entire forest anyway.

“I see… Well let’s just hang out until the time came okay? Relax and all that” I said with a small stretch as I sit down on the bed, Floria meanwhile is sitting at the table. She’s crossing her arms and looking at me… keep looking at me…

“What?” I asked flatly, seeing her staring. I feel like there’s a less than expected intention behind those stares, but as I’m not Floria I can’t exactly decipher her thought process and all that. It’s a bit concerning that her behavior changed a bit.

“You can sleep on the bed, I’m fine with that” She replied unexpectedly, I wasn’t expecting that for an answer at all, but if she said so then I might as well take her up on it.

“Don’t mind if I do” I said a bit enthusiastically, talking off my armor, cloak, and other stuff not meant for indoors. I roll on the bed and rest… The bed sure isn’t that good…

Well might as well get in extra shut eyes… Rolling on the bed and lay there as nice and cozy as possible… 

…Floria is still looking at me relaxing for some reason, I think it’s a bit intrusive… Well I don’t think she’s trying anything so I shouldn’t be worried.

…Maybe I should close my eyes to see if she’ll do anything if I seem like I’m vulnerable or not.

…I shut my eyes and just stay still to see if she’s doing anything… She’s moving around… I think I heard her hands on the bed… Hopefully not actually doing anything suspicious… 

*Touch*

She’s touching me… She’s definitely doing that… She’s rubbing her hands against my body… that’s a bit… inappropriate isn’t it?... 

“Uhh…” I groaned out a bit without making it seem like I’m waking up. Her hands seemed to back off since I couldn't feel her hands after that… 

Is that all? I guess she doesn’t want to intrude further. Still that was a weird interaction, I have no idea what she’s trying, regardless it seems more than a little intrusive. I should try to inquire about her intention there, what is the reason for it all.

…Now it feels like she’s climbing into the bed without disturbing me, it’s not exactly a two person bed so I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. This one feels more like she’s just trying to rest instead of anything suspicious, if she wants to rest as well I don’t see a problem with that.

 

#####

 

“Haaaaaa… Hm?” I let out a yawn as I opened my eyes and tried to get off the bed, however one thing is amiss… When did her arms start wrapping around me!? I was getting an actual nap there and that’s what she did? Well I don’t think just forcing her out will be a good idea, I need to be sneaky on this… 

…There… Getting out of the bed no problem at all… Now she’s moving around and what time is this?... Good thing I have that watch that can tell time as needed… Honestly there's a surprising amount of such convenient tools existing when there’s more than a world about. 

“Hrng…” She groaned as she began waking up herself. What was that all about? She began crawling out of the bed and then noticed me staring at her…

…Now she looks embarrassed, getting out of the bed and wearing her overcoat.

Soon both of us finished tidying up and equipping our gear… Why is she staring at me still?

“What is it?” I asked, feeling a bit nervous.

“…It’s nothing” She replied. Is she pouting a little knowing that I noticed her hugging me?

“Look, I’m not going to question it. We have other things to worry about, definitely way more than whatever you were just doing” I said trying to reassure her. I really don’t mind her doing so, even though I don’t think this is the best time.

“Alright” She replied, sounding a bit surprised at my dismissal of what could possibly be a really bad intrusion of personal space. I’m used to girls getting up close so I’m fine with it for the most part. Still hopefully she’ll explain why at some point.

“Okay then, let’s go to a blind spot somewhere and teleport to where I live at the moment… Speaking of which are you just going to ignore every ridiculous thing I did?” I casually spoke out then realized something, teleporting in itself is just next to impossible for most to accomplish, and flying, and other stuff as well, yet this woman here has been dealing with it pretty well.

“I just don’t see the need, I doubt you’ll explain everything anyway” She replied a bit dismissively. I guess she’s not the most inquisitive, and certainly not afraid of the unknown it seems.

“Okay… Anyhow let’s just go, there’s still some time left and I don’t want to be late, five minutes early” I said as I opened the door and led us out of the guild building.

 

#####

 

*Zoom*

“Now we’re on the road to wherever these people are” I said as both of us look at the road. Floria crosses her arm in response.

“And what is this place exactly? I don’t think you have actually told me” She asked flatly.

“The academy” I said. She looked at me slightly surprised at what I said.

“That place of all things? Sounds annoying” She commented as her arms stopped crossing, sounding a bit tired.

“It does, doesn’t it? Well I’ll be the one doing the conversation, you don’t have to say anything” I said dismissively as I take the lead. We both walked on the road until it split off to the west, which is where we’ll go.

 

#####

 

“Halt!” Someone at the gate said as they noticed us, but backed off almost immediately as they recognized me. Floria flinched for a bit there as they said so, probably not too used to such a place. Can’t blame her.

“She’s a guest. Back off” I said so intimidatingly as they all proceeded to do so to almost comedic degree.

…We both went inside without any problem aside from a couple of glances, all fine with no problem whatsoever. 

Right now the class should be training still. We have a two hours long nap and now it’s just afternoon. Still some time left until the outside activity supposedly.

*Clash* *Parry* *Evade*

I could hear some action going on as we walked calmly to the training ground, a rather good amount of activity one would expect from training.

We finally reached the training ground and people are very energetic and fighting it out. Floria looked at the sight with indifference while I observed the situation. Mitsuka is fighting the same heavy swordsman from yesterday, Kioshi is still going against that suspicious woman, and everyone is where they were yesterday with a bit more activity going on, perhaps due to them getting used to the training ground even if it’s only been a day.

“How do you feel about this whole deal?” I asked. not expecting anything in particular. Some people in the training ground heard what I said as I raised my voice a bit due to the loudness of people screaming and clashing.

For some reason the adventurers outside of that suspicious one, Maova, all immediately looked at us with shock and stopped whatever they were doing, and in return so those the otherworlders.

“What the heck?” I muttered confused at their line of sight, which is toward the woman who is with me. Floria meanwhile is looking a bit uncomfortable at the attention towards her.

Soon the adventurers regained their composure and looked at me instead.

“M-My apologies, we weren’t expecting someone else to come along” The spearwoman said apologetically.

“Yeah… Hey lady did you know about this?” The swordsman said, now looking at his leader, Maova.

“Nah, this has nothing to do with me. Also why are you all panicking so hard? Do your job!” This woman named Maova said, sounding just as clueless as we do and even slightly frustrated.

“Well… No it’s just that I didn’t expect her of all people to be here” The swordsman explained not really saying much.

“You can’t possibly expect that to be a satisfactory answer” Maova said, frowning pretty badly. While I also am unsatisfied.

“Spill out the reason you ragtag bunch” I also said, feeling pretty mad at their unexplained behavior.

“Well… It’s just that… She’s one of the most infamous adventurers is all…” The archer guy said a bit ashamedly. Seems like he’s not too proud of his overreaction. Is that really the only reason why? I turned to look at Floria who didn’t say anything, and looked really sick of the situation.

“You know what? Doesn’t matter! All of you go back to your work already! No gossip, no anything!” I said assertively.

*Whirl*

I couldn’t stand letting her deal with this attention. Everyone except Floria and Maova squirmed at my yelling as it’s combined with a wind spell to exude intimidation and dominance.

“You heard her” Maova said dismissively toward the group. 

Isn’t this a bit unexpected…

 

#####

 

The training continued and both of us walked around a bit, with Floria not being particularly entertained. 

Mitsuka continued to train with the heavy sword guy, Yumi with the archer guy, Ran with the magic guy, and Kioshi with Maova.

“What’s actually going on?” Floria asked, sounding a bit bored at the situation. So far she hasn’t said anything to anyone, and is only comfortable around me.

“Well… It’s just training really, just a special bunch training for… a big event a month from now” I explained roughly. She looked around hearing my explanation.

“Sure is special, I don’t think adventurers just get to be in the academy… and these rookie sure aren’t nobles or even knights” She commented in response, then eyeing Maova.

“What about her?” I asked, confused at her sudden interest.

“I saw her before is all” She replied dismissively. Doesn’t look like there’s much else to that story. She quickly looked back at me after saying so… How much time left until the escort?

I walked over to Maova who is training with the same duo as yesterday.

“Hey boss lady, how much time until the outside training?” I called out to her saying so.

*Kick*

She quickly kicked Kioshi to the side as she noticed me. Kioshi is fine if seems to be on the floor groaning a bit.

“About half an hour, we have to wait and gather at the academy entrance at that time” She explained, then looked back at Kioshi still on the ground… Maybe I should leave them all alone.

“You heard her, there’s still some time left, let’s go relax in my room shall we?” I said since I don’t feel too comfortable now seeing how most people act towards her. I was thinking of staying and watching them with her but with how she’s faring I really began regretting it, need to change the scene.

“That’s fine with me” She said so dully.

 

#####

 

“Here’s the room designated to me” I said as I let her in, with her expression being rather perplexed due to way more fancy and overall higher quality room

She continued to look around the clean and neat room. I haven’t exactly used this room much if at all, I didn’t use the storage space here at all. She sure isn’t saying anything.

“So? Anything you want to ask now that I show you mine?” I asked, wondering if she had any question or not exactly.

“…Hah… You’re clearly a big shot even though you’re from a different land, that much I can tell. To be honest I am a bit curious just after everything that happened in such a short time, but I don’t think there’s much to be gained from asking, as long as you help me that’s enough, I really don’t think I should intrude” She explained herself. She makes it sound like she wants to intrude, but since she feels indebted to me she doesn’t want to, or at least doesn’t want me to feel it at least.

“I… see” I replied feeling a bit bad for her for trying to be considerate, even though it’s clear she’s not even sure how she’s supposed to be considerate, since social skill is not her strong point. I sat down on the bed and looked at her still.

“What?” She asked no doubt feeling like she’s been seen through.

“Look, I’m not going to fault you for relying on me, that’s on me obviously, I’m the one taking the chance to help you, so it’s not as if you’re burdening me. It’s obviously not a logic that could be applied to everyone, but for me at least I don’t think I should be seen as unreachable due to a debt I didn’t even consider to be there. I’m just a charitable person, who while no doubt loses much more than intended before, is still in that mindset. As long as you don’t take advantage of that generosity, it’s not a debt. Just say your piece” I deliver a speech which leaves her unable to come up with words. Her eyes widened and seemed to find it hard in herself to use the same logic as I.

“That’s such a… What kind of person is like that?” She asked flat out. It’s an ideal that is definitely unhealthy, I just like helping people… especially attractive women… Also other people, but I always get more enthusiastic when it comes to girls. It’s unhealthy and disturbing in some aspects.

“Look, there’s a side to every story. From my point of view you will pay everything at the end, and it’s not anything physical I assure you” I said to her with a cool voice, casual and not trying to be too serious or pressuring her.

“What is this payment?” She asked, her voice sounding a bit heavy… What am I supposed to say to that? Should I be honest with this? There doesn’t seem to be any other way… Might as well be transparent about it.

“Your smile” I said in a charming voice and a charming smile. Looking at her straight in the eyes as I said so, and her eyes widened even more completely overwhelmed with emotions. Really I don’t even know if our orientations are compatible, I just want to see a girl smile at least, no need to go further if not needed, or rather if she doesn’t want it.

“Wha!?” Her voice hoarse and obviously in surprise, she’s backing off a bit before recovering herself.

“That’s just how it is” I said standing up and walking over to her, who slowly backed off as I walked over closer and closer.

*Slam*

As she hit the wall behind her I slammed one of my hands on the wall to cut her off. She looks at me straight in the eyes while I stare back… Soon enough I retract my arm and walked back to my bed.

“Hah… Well the smile is the minimum payment, you can manage that much can’t you?” I said looking back at her with a smile as the armor and cloak are taken off and I lay down on the bed. Her face is reddened and she cannot muster out any words… What is her feeling for me exactly? If it goes beyond curious… There’s still one more problem behind that, I have to explain it the best I can if the time ever came.

Floria gritted her teeth for a moment then looked at me with a more confident expression.

“I can certainly do that much!” She said almost shouting at me, her face still a bit red.

“That’s nice to hear, then the debt pretty much never existed isn’t that right? I’m not so untouchable am I?” I said with a smile laying down on the bed, perhaps gesturing to her a bit suggestively wondering how she’ll act, if she’ll get closer.

“Perhaps…” She said walking over to me, if sounding slightly hesitant still. 

She sat down on the big bed and got close to me.

“Getting close and relaxing, I’m fine with it” I said so confidently with a gentle smile.

She’s definitely feeling something for me, and she also definitely needs some help. Even if she feels like one will compromise the other, I sure don’t feel that way. Hopefully she will open up more, and of course admitting to herself that she wants me to as well.

6