Book 3: Chapter 24: Majo: Archer Archer
111 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All of us are walking back to the camp, not finding any trouble in the way thankfully, and not seeing the next group just yet.

“By the way, how are you feeling right now Ran? Any better?” I asked her wanting to know if she’s feeling any different, her levels should increase after that and her physical and magical ability should be better.

“Umm… A bit odd?” She replied not sounding too sure, certainly sounds like a level up to me.

“That’s a good thing, change is generally a good thing. Anyhow we better get you a lot of rest going back” I replied casually. Just keep walking back to the camp. I believe we’ll meet a fork in the road or two, and thankfully the trail is very obvious so going back is pretty easy.

…There’s a trail going on the different road, it seems like the new group is going there, guess we won’t meet up in the way.

…Here we finally are! The rest seems to be in the house except for the two adventurers, who noticed us.

“Oh, I heard you three were off by yourself. Guess you’re back now” The spearwoman commented approaching us. Well now that we’re back I’m not actually sure what’s next on the agenda. I guess I’ll wait for the group out doing the activity to come back?

“Yeah, and from the looks of it the next group has already gone elsewhere. I supposed I’ll stay here until the party came back” I replied. 

“That right. You three can go rest along with the trainees, the leader will probably call you when she comes back soon” The spearwoman replied as she pointed at the cottage. Guess we’ll go there then. 

*Open*

Opening the door and went inside, the other otherworlders are indeed in here, with a few people missing of course. Mitsuka, Kioshi, and Tony are missing, guess they’re the second group.

“Ah, you’re back” Yumi commented, noticing us first.

The interior is made of wood and I’d say it’s quite nice. There are two stories to this building and glass windows everywhere. Wouldn’t be that out of place for modern buildings actually.

Everyone is sitting either at the chairs or on the ground. Honestly it feels like this building was misplaced a few centuries at minimum but let’s not mention that.

“Floria, do you think you can…” I began asking Floria seeing how there are many people about and she’s not exactly social…

“I can deal with it” She replied, it’s a dry response so I’m not too sure if she really can or not, well might as well bet on her words being true.

“Let’s go find somewhere to sit, you as well Ran” I said to the two as we split off to find somewhere to rest. Ran go to Yumi while both of us find a bench to sit on together. A few eyes are directed at us but no gossip thankfully. Well it’s us two sitting at a bench together, I doubt it’s too implicative of anything worth pointing out.

“Let’s just wait around. Nothing to worry about” I noted as we continue to sit about not doing anything… Maybe I can pull something else to pass the time? Sounds like a good idea. Maybe the game console.

“What’s that?” Floria asked, no doubt finding the object way too foreign to not inquire on, everyone else also looked at us, either feeling that the sight of a modern device in medieval-esque time too jarring to ignore or perhaps looking on with envy.

“A device for entertainment” I replied very simply. She looks a bit dismissive at the answer, while everyone still keeps watching, with a few walking over to try to see the game I’m playing. It’s different from the last one I played, this one is a tactical RPG game.

“Looks complicated, and time consuming” Floria commented. She seriously doesn’t understand how this works, and that has to be expected.

“It’s best used when you literally have nothing to do or just wants something relaxing. You’re definitely not in the mood for this if whatever plan you have needs to be done quick” I replied. Speaking of which her plan is still not completely clear here, I really need to address it at some point.

*Click* *Press*

And so I began playing…

 

#####

 

*Open*

Well looks like the other group is done, guess I’ll close this and get going.

“Alright, let’s go Floria” I closed the game and put it away, saying so to Floria.

Looking around and thinking about it for a moment it’s clear what’s the last group is. Yumi, Minny-I think is her name?-and the sporty guy… Adam I think is his name? Anyhow time to go along with them. Floria and I stood up and walk out of the cottage.

“Yumi, Minny, Adam. You three come with us” A voice can be heard announcing so with the three responding by grabbing their weapon and walking out along with us.

Soon everyone for the last practice gathered. The swordsman, the archer, Maova, Yumi, Minny, Adam, Floria and I. Eight people in total.

“Seems you got back before us” Maova commented.

“Yeah, and I believe she got enough experience for today” I replied. She doesn’t seem skeptical about it thankfully.

“If you say so. Okay then everyone. Let’s go and get this done with” Maova announced as she took the lead back deeper into the forest, walking behind her and letting her take the lead… I wonder if anyone catches the sight of the massive carcasses of fried and wet goblins somewhere in there. Hopefully that doesn’t cause any concern.

 

#####

 

Walking deep into the forest and on a different path we should hopefully find monsters around. Yumi and Minny with their bow would probably have some difficulty using them to get some quick kills, since they only have one melee fighter, Adam, to keep the enemies occupied. Some of the adventurers have to get involved to make this a bit more doable for the trainees.

“Anyway you weren’t here last time Reiza, but we encountered some wolves. They aren’t monsters per se but dangerous enough to count” She brought up a random fact, and no one commented on it.

…Yeah no one commented on that at all. A bit of an awkward air building up from that but thankfully nothing more. Still maybe I should ask something in response.

“What’s the most dangerous thing in this forest anyway?” I asked, which I feel like is met with a sigh of relief somewhere. 

“I have no idea. There are animals about a few monsters but shouldn’t be much else. If I remembered correctly this place wasn’t monitored for a while since the earthquake disrupted a lot of things” She answered. Yeah that’s not a clear answer at all. Perhaps that’s why she brings everyone here, maybe otherwise they’ll have the students do these themselves.

“I see… That’s concerning isn’t it?” I noted, and she nodded at my comment.

“Yeah, we probably can’t let anyone get in here by themselves for a few more days at least” She replied, sighing a little. 

Well it was but a short conversation as we keep going. Hopefully none of the trainees are tired just yet.

“Ah. There’s a few creatures around here” Maova suddenly pointed out. She’s really good at spotting these things. I walked ahead of her this time to see what’s going on ahead of us… A few weak kobolds. Just using a log as a weapon.

“Yeah this’ll probably not be too hard” I commented, crossing my arms and walking back, letting others take the stage.

“Yumi. Minny. You two need to put your bow skills to the test here. Adam you stay back for now” Maova instructed, letting the two newbie archers go first.

Yumi is extremely confident with her bow in comparison to Minny, who from the looks of it is very much not a physical person.

*Draw*

Yumi already drew her bow before Minny even finished preparing her stance.

*Shoot*

By the time Minny steel herself to draw the bow Yumi already shoot the arrow and-

*Thunk*

A kobold got hit right in the head and died immediately.

*Squeak* 

Cries in panic are heard and they are tensing up our trainees. There are about seven of them left discounting the one that died. They’re looking around in a frenzy.

*Shoot*

Minny finally shoots her arrow, it’s clearly weaker than Yumi’s shot, but since she’s most likely not experienced in archery like Yumi is, I don’t think it’s a fair comparison. 

*Thunk*

And thankfully for her first shot it’s not a whiff.

*Shriek*

Of course it’s also not a fatal blow, if still dealing severe damage to the kobold she was targeting… She was targeting something right?

*Squeak*

The kobolds now realize where their foe are. They’re looking in our direction and no doubt realizing who just attacked them just now. This’ll be a good time for-

“Adam! Rush in to protect them quickly! You two! fire support!” Maova commanded. She’s certainly authoritative.

*Dash*

Adam silently but quickly takes the front. He wields a lance much like the other polearms user. Holding the lance forward he’s anticipating the kobolds to come rushing in. 

*Rush*

And rush they do. Either he can sweep them away with the long weapon or get overwhelmed by the weapon’s length and the surge of enemies. Six in total. One is dead and another is hurt badly. 

*Shoot* *Thunk*

Yumi already got in another shot, right in a kobold’s torso, killing it quickly.

*Shoot* *Graze*

And Minny’s shot grazed one of them, at least she’s trying, but without killing them it won’t help her much.

*Stab*

One of the kobolds got too close for comfort and stabbed in retaliation. I wonder if this is enough for them today, because the first one was two battles and this is just the first. Four in total remained with one slightly injured.

*Swing *Smack*

Adam swung his spear and hit the four remaining kobolds, if clearly not smacking them away due to the strength difference not being that high. Kobolds aren’t that different in strength from humans, and otherworlders should hold way better against them. Still Adam’s inexperience as a fighter and polearm user means even with the increased strength as an otherworlder.

**Thunk**

Yumi hits another bullseye while Minny hits another. Two down and two injured. The one that was injured earlier by Minny should’ve died already.

*Lunge* *Stab*

Adam stabbed another one, lunged in and took it by surprise considering his. Now all that’s left is the last one in front of Adam.

*Stab*

Another stab in the head. With that every kobold is eliminated. That was a nice performance from the three. Would that be enough?

“Good job you three… Let’s get another encounter and leave quickly okay?” Maova announced to them, praising them and yeah… More battle.

The three looked a bit tired and distressed but didn’t say anything. Maova quickly went ahead along with the other adventurers taking the lead and paid no heed to the corpses on the path.

“Well it’s just one more, you can do it” I said to reassure them as Floria and I also went ahead of them. They all quietly follow us along soon.

 

#####

 

We walked deeper in and it won’t surprise me if soon we’ll just go out of the forest. What else could be in here?

*Howl*

Well here comes the answer. A beastial howl, from a wolf of some kind most likely.

“Guess the big bad decided to show at the end” Maova commented brandishing her sword while everyone else also readied their weapon.

*Lunge* *Evade*

A massive wolf lunged towards Maova, an ambush that she effortlessly dodged. This monstrous and massive wolf is now on the path where many are presented and ready to take it down. 

“You three take care of it!” Maova commanded.

*Parry*

She parried the strike coming towards her from the monster wolf like it’s nothing. The monster itself is of no threat to her whatsoever, and from what I see it is not a problem for me as well.

“Don’t you think this thing is a bit much for them?” The swordsman asked doubtful of their success, not just due to them being newbies but also because the wolf is clearly way stronger than what they have faced so far, even the adventurers present will have some trouble with it.

*Parry*

“True enough. Then how about this!” Maova replied so. She holds off the giant for a while then her movement changes.

*Slice* *Howl*

“Whoa!” The swordsman yelled out surprised. Maova sliced one of the giant wolf’s legs and its tail, leaving it completely off balance and in a lot of pain, in what seems like an instant with no one except me even sure what has just transpired. Floria looked a bit distressed at the sight as well due to how inhumanely fast that was.

“Alright you three, get in there! The rest get off of sight!” She commanded as she jumped away. Floria and I do the same while the two adventurers backed off not looking too sure of the situation at hand.

*Shoot* *Thunk* *Growl*

Quickly taking a shot, Yumi’s arrow hit one of its eyes. 

*Dash*

“Haaah!” Letting out a voice, raising his speed and strength, Adam ran in with his spear in hand.

*Stab* *Growl*

Stabbing its other eye and running away quickly. Leaving the beast blind if still erratic and almost hitting him in the process if he didn’t backed off quickly.

**Shoot** **Thunk**

Two shot from the two archers, one connected with more severity, but clearly both aren’t too damaging to the beast with its durable hide.

*Dash* *Stab* *Claw*

“Arg!” Adam went in with another stab but unfortunately he doesn’t avoid its erratic agony this time. His torso almost torn open with him quickly backing off yet down on the ground.

“[High Heal]” Maova chanted, and quickly the wounds on his torso were quickly healed much to his relief, if still kneeling down on the ground.

**Shoot** **Thunk**

More shooting from the two archers as the arrows slowly worn them out, but really the initial damage by Maova and the two eye hitting attacks from Yumi and Adam are the ones doing the most work.

**Shoot** **Thunk**

This’ll probably go on for a while…

*Crawl*

Damn. The darn wolf started to have some idea of where the heck its attackers are even though it's blinded, just due to the direction they’re all coming from, this is no good.

“Hieee!” Minny sounds terrified as the beast comes ever so closer, her grip trembling and paralyzed in fear but seems ready to run. Yumi meanwhile stands strong but clearly stressed out and a bit fearful, and Adam still on the ground not too far from the beast unfortunately.

“Should we help out here!?” The swordsman asked, unable to stand such a tense situation being placed on the apprentices.

“Stand down sword guy. There’s no need for it” Maova said, lacking emotions. Putting her sword between him and the action at hand. Of course Floria and I are still in front of them at this point, so I could take this chance to help them without her clearly adamant stance on the matter, but I don’t see the need at the moment unlike what the swordsman believes.

“Dammit… Fine” The swordsman said, not sounding pleased. Maova put her sword away but it’s clear she’s not letting us do anything just yet.

“Good answer” She replied dismissively still observing the situation at hand.

*Swing*

“Minny!” Adam screamed out. The beast swings wildly, the direction it was at is that of Minny’s, clearly because of her scream just now.

*Tackle*

Adam tackled her out of the way and was about to get hit.

*Shoot*

An arrow is shot. Aiming clearly in the way of the beast to the two.

*Thunk* *Howl*

“That was close” Yumi commented, sighing with relief. That was so accurate it’s scary, sure I could do something like that as well with a much greater chance of success, but she’s new to this, yet she managed it.

Still the threat isn’t completely over as it still has two legs left, one foreleg and one hind leg. Both Minny and Adam are still on the ground while Yumi prepares another arrow quickly.

*Shoot* *Thunk* *Growl*

Her arrow still doesn’t do much damage, the one aimed at its leg works because it hits a vital point while its momentum is working against it. Of course she very much tried to hit anywhere that is the most vulnerable, but its constant moving and thrashing made it nearly impossible to do so.

“Is assisting fine if she does the final blow?” I suddenly asked Maova seeing the situation becoming less favorable. She looked at me a bit dismissively and stared at me for a second then at the scene at hand.

“...Fine, they have fared well enough anyway” She replied, sighing seemingly in defeat. Guess now she found the situation too much for them to handle. I turn to look at Yumi.

“Yumi!” I called out to her and she looked at me in response, surprised at the sudden interference.

*Throw* *Plant*

I throw a red curved shortsword towards her and it falls to the ground. At this point both Minny and Adam leave the scene and the wolf begins moving again defiantly.

*Grip*

Knowing the intention behind the sword, she grabbed it and wield it, putting her bow down and-

*Dash*

Make a mad dash towards the beast.

*Sizz*

The shortsword in her hand began burning aggressively, with Yumi too preoccupied to worry about such a thing.

*Slash* *Tackle*

One slice to its neck. One tackle to the chest. In a single moment both side trade blows that ended the conflict at hand.

“[High Heal]” Maova chanted and healed the archer that was knocked away. Yumi wasn’t as badly hurt as Adam when he took a blow so she recovers very quickly.

The wolf stopped responding. Its body burning and its neck bleeding out badly. The sword of flames that is in Yumi’s hand caused all that.

“I’ll take that back now” I said as I walked over to Yumi and yoink it off. 

“Phew!” The swordsman let out a sigh of relief walking over to the trio.

“Can you three walk?” Maova asked, inspecting their wounds and the surroundings.

“I’ll be fine” Yumi muttered. 

“Same… Ugh, here” Adam said despite the lingering pain.

“Yeah… Me too” Minny replied. Seems the three can walk back along the rest.

“Good! Let’s go back” Maova said enthusiastically as she already took the lead to go back.

“You heard her” I commented. Looking over the three along with Floria, and staying by their side as we all walk back to the camp, and hopefully back at the city quickly. No doubt everyone wants to go back now.

6