Chapter 1
272 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st July 2018
Los Angeles
07:00 AM
Jones family house

 

It was morning and Karen Athena Jones was terrified, not for herself of course, there was very little that she was afraid of, but it was for her daughter, Tali. The girl was barely a toddler at one year old. But she was now showing some new traits that she hadn't expected to see yet -or hoped to never see- such as the sudden  growth of her pointed ears and her now silver mane of hair that had been strawberry blonde just yesterday. 

"Mama." The little girl said as she laid in her bed.

Karen sighed, it wasn't her daughter's fault, but her dad's. "Yes, baby?" The redhead smiled softly at Tali and kissed her on the cheeks, forehead and on her hair.

The little girl giggled and took something out from under her pillow, it was a flower. A crystal flower to be accurate, it shimmered softly under the light. Karen scowled, her silver crystal eyes focusing on the flower, her hand trembled as she took it in her hand. "Oh is that for me?"

She sounded shaken by the presence of the flower, it only meant one thing. Her so called ex had found her and used their daughter as a messenger. 

*I need to ward the house against Fae asap!* Stomping steps could be heard on the first floor as one of Karen's bodies that she called 'Ashley' was going to do just that. As Karen was a hivemind, her bodies senses such as her vision were connected and she was already consulting her book of shadow for the magical wards she would need.

Karen could have skipped town, but she decided not to. Los Angeles had become her city and she would be damned if a faerie prince was going to make her flee again, she had friends, a business and responsibilities.

Tali stood up from her bed and jumped on Karen who caught her giggling daughter. 

"Want a hug? Here, come." Karen's second body, named Harleen who had her hair dyed an electric blue in pigtails appeared in a flash of pink light and took her daughter, raised her in the air and smelled her diaper. Satisfied that Tali didn't soil herself yet, Harleen decided to give her her dragon plushie.

It was time for breakfast. Karen went to prepare it, it was mostly baby food, pancakes, bacon and orange juice. Karen's daughter, Tali, loved freshly pressed orange juice, none of that shit in cardboard boxes sold in the supermarket. She bought her fruits from the dryad reservation that suddenly sprouted near the Topanga state park in San Fernando. 

Her phone rang and while Karen's main body was busy making food for the rest of herself and baby Tali, Harleen answered the phone. The name was blanked and she didn't  know who it was, she was tempted to hang up, but she didn't. "Harleen Jones."

"Hello, is this the owner of Multifarious Solution?" A feminine voice asked.

Multifarious Solution, a recently rising name in the investigation field that is owned by Karen Athena Jones and her 'sisters' who helped in different fields such as magic and dealing with supernatural threat, mercenary work, dealt in artefacts, potion and alchemy. They were open from nine am in the morning till dusk at seven pm.

Harleen sighed heavily. "Dis is my personal number, and we ain't open at dis time of tha day."

Each of Karen's bodies had a special personality, formed by the different experiences that forged them. Harleen was the most streetwise of her bodies and knew how to survive in the city, she knew it like the back of her hand, she also knows who was who and the dangers visible and invisible of the underworld of Los Angeles. 

"I am Sophia Dunham a-and Constance gave me this number." The woman's tone was hesitant as she casually dropped the name of the vampire master of San Fernando. 

Her blood froze.

Karen owed Constance the capital she had lent her to buy her house and the attached building office, she also forwarded cases that she took in priority to resolve. Constance is a powerful vampire of  two thousand years of age and a user of blood magic. It was better to not piss her off.

"Ya've my attention." She said, exhaling exaggeratedly. 

Harleen helped Tali eat at the same time, her daughter was a messy eater who liked to throw food at all her bodies. She had tried to be stern with her kid, but Tali was really too stubborn to break her habit.

Sophia's voice became barely a whisper as she said, "She said that you could help me, that you could take care of things."

As she was beating the batter, Karen's hand stopped moving; she was already seeing where this was going. Either this was mercenary work or an exorcism. She resumed her activity while Harleen took care of business, "Ok, first I need to meet ya face to face, we don't discuss business on tha phone, is that ok with ya?"

"Yes, yes please." Sophia then proceeded to give her address and the time at which she was available.

Thirty minute later, Karen, Ashley and Harleen were before their breakfast table, devouring the pancakes and bacon as if it was their last meal. Tali was watching her favorite sing along show on the smart tv screen, her lilting voice in the background.

Karen was already working on her tablet as she scarfed down food and gathering everything she could on Sophia Dunham. The woman had a MyFace account and Karen could already see her complete superficial history, who her friends are, where she lived and where she worked.

Harleen rose from the table, went to put her dirty dish plate into the kitchen sink and teleported in a flash of pink light at Tali’s side and began to sing along my little pony with her. Ashley was the second body that Karen had spawned when her power awakened two years ago, with a bob cut and her hair dyed white, she had the same oblong shaped face as Karen and the same pouty lips and delicate nose. Her body was curvaceous like Karen, hiding how powerful her musculature was.

However the similarities stopped here as Ashley sported a futuristic cowboy type of fashion that she used as she let people think that she was a super and in costume with her panoply of weapons that she could make one of Karen’s double teleport in her hands. She wore a skintight bulletproof under armor and a silk white shirt over it that dispersed energy weapons. A tool belt with a handgun holster strapped on her thigh. It was empty because Tali was in the house.

"Urgh, she runs a strip club." Karen has discovered on the woman’s social media page on MyFace.

6