Chapter 8.5 Aftermath, and Honours.
302 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Vince had returned to the Terra, Luna was waiting there for him with two Medics awaiting to receive Jackie and treat her broken arm...

"Master what will you do now? The MACs are ready and aimed at Dorus's primary reactor... even though I believe that we should do this... but as basically this Dungeon's/Ship's Executive Officer, I must ask you at least call out Dorus's failure and betrayal so that all may know to not go back on a deal they made with us..." Luna was livid at what Dorus had done, but he mustn't show it because that could influence the actions of the Avatars... so he offered his Master a olive branch that they can walk down and be justified to attack Dorus...

"Give me a day... to think it over..." Vince replied even he was tired the fighting he watched from the helmet cams... seeing his fellow Covenant members die for nort pissed him off to no end and now it seems Jackie is going to suffer from this battle... a battle that they could have not entertained... and the guilt he felt for being the one to convince them to do this weighted heavy on his shoulders...

"Are you worried about Jackie's mental state following the battle? I heard what happened from the troops that had returned."

"Returned? Their was no survivors."

Luna's face turned complicated...

"What is it?!"

 "Lets put it like this... the troops when they die can choose whether return or not to the ship and many over 95% came back when you summoned all squads and after you left to save Jackie, the squad leaders talked to me and explained everything that had happened... and said even though it was clear to them that she had never led a battle at all they were more then willing to fight again under her... and there is something about Avatars that is hard to explain..."

"Is it long?"

"Well to make a long story short... you as you are now as Avatars are unable to get PTSD or have their mental states changed from pre becoming Dungeon Cores... So Jackie will remember the Battle twice... once with her emotions in it and the second with out them... Avatars are meant to learn from all experiences... Good or Bad."

"So she'll be fine?"

"Depends on how long her mind works through the memory when she awakens she should have processed the Battle... but she will be very confused due to the twin memories..."

"Okay... I will be on the bridge... while I think..."

Luna watched as Vince left... he looked out of the Hanger towards Dorus and spat... disgust was clear on his face, his opinion wasn't the only one many of the resummoned troops hated Dorus for going back on what they agreed... The Commanders of Dorus for failing to get their men to do as ordered...

A large majority of the troops within the UNSC Terra wanted to put the Commanders of Dorus on "Trial" but Luna knows that it would be nothing but a military show trial and have them executed... and he couldn't fault them many of them fought on the ground...

...

..

.

Nearly 20 hours passed before Jackie awakened and as expected very confused, and Luna had appeared nearby with a cup of Darjeeling tea... and she took it happily as Luna began to explain what he had already told Vince and she slowly understood why her mind had two memories...

"Thank you for telling me Luna... I want to... inspect the troops... that have returned..." Jackie said unsteady as Luna and the two Medics helped her to her feet, "Thank you.." she waved Luna close and whispered into his ear, and when she was done he disappeared with an announcement to for those that fought to head to the Hanger for Inspection.

With her right arm in a cast and sling and her left over a Medics shoulder helping her stand and the other fixed the bed she was asleep in and soon followed her.

Luna returned to the bridge and told Vince that Jackie had awoken... his very serious expression softened at the news but said that he was still in deep thought, his mind occupied with what action to take against Dorus...

...

..

.

---'Crews' POV---

As Jackie relatively stumbled through the hallways of the Terra while talking more in-depth about what she had whispered to Luna, the 'Crew' that were new didn't know why their comrades disappeared towards the Hanger when called from the XO Luna...

"All crew that fought at the Battle of Dorus head to the Hanger! I repeat. All crew that fought at the Battle of Dorus head to the Hanger!"

As the crew assembled the troops with proper training or veterans stood at parade rest while chatting... in near perfect lines and rows with the tank crews standing in-front of their tanks...

The three Challengers their barrels down in salute... The tanks had writing along the side of their hulls, Challenger One had "Terra's own!", Two had "First Blooded!" leaving Challenger three "First to the Fight!". Making up the tanks of "Terra's First Tank Platoon."

But the less trained stood in their squads as blobs and many didn't know why Luna had called them and asked amongst themselves, "Do you know why?" "What does XO Luna want?" "Has anyone seen the Head of Security Vince or Captain Jackie?"

..

.

This went on for a few minutes and many had asked similar questions.

"CAPTAIN ON DECK!" A Marine closest to the door shouted.

The Soldiers snapped into attention and the Insurgents stopped their talking and looked forward, and what they saw broke their collective hearts...

Jackie her once white Officer dress was now bloody her right arm in a sling and cast... a Medic was holding her left arm but she shook him off and started walking with a heavy limp forward... her two Medics walking very close behind her to catch her incase she fell...

She 'walked' along the length of the formation of the gathered troops... she did in deed inspect the troops, the best she could with the clear pain in her left leg and she stopped often and chatted to them... but it was still evident she didn't want to show the pain she was in...

She 'walked' passed the Covenant forces that were with her and many of the Grunts tried to force Jackie to stop and look after herself which she refused, patting their heads and giving few words to them about "How a leader must live with their mistakes... and their injuries."

When she got to the Tankers... she asked Challenger Three about how bad it was and offered that it was a bad idea to fly low and fast over the enemy force.

She stopped in front of two Insurgents... a young looking female and an old male with a grand father wisdom to those that talked to him...

"It was a bad idea to surrender wasn't it?" She asked the Female insurgent...

"It was my fault forgi-" The Insurgent tried to offer her apology, but Jackie stopped her when she took a step forward on her bad leg, causing her to nearly fall as the leg gave out on her at that moment... the Old man grabbed Jackie by her good arm and the collar of her uniform and the Insurgent she fell into grabbed her by the armpits.

Jackie covered a grunt of pain with deep breaths and waving off the two Medics that implored her to return to the Med-bay, "You didn't know, we didn't know that they would do that... but it was a possibility that should have been planned... don't blame yourself... I'm the one that should be saying sorry..." she stopped talking to the pair and walked back a bit so that she could address the 'Crew'.

"I told Luna to get those that fought here so that I may.... Say sorry for failing to lead you all... I know you don't hold it to me but knowing that doesn't stop me from thinking that... Vince and I brought you here to die and we called you monsters... but no longer." A fire was visible in her eyes, the men that were with her at Dorus High Command and one Marine looked expectantly at there Captain, "Form this day forward... you are no longer Dungeon Monsters, or imitations... You are the Crew of Terra and I am proud to know that me and Vince have such a great Crew that will call Terra their homes... I am thankful to all of you..." she looked away towards the door, "Luna you have them?"

Luna walked in with dozens of medals most of them being The Purple Hearts, the medals may seem redundant but personal gifts from an Avatar to any of their Monsters or this case Crew will give them buffs like better health, accuracy or special abilities...

The Purple Hearts is awarded for those that were wounded in the line of duty, but in this case it was for dying in the line of duty, many of the Medals will most likely be given to those who had already died... this Medal gave a small general buff to all aspects of combat with some added affects to those with specialties like the Medics and tank crew with in their roles...

Everyone got a Purple Heart all 102

But Four medals were left and people were called out, by what they had done and given a name, this was recommended by Luna so that those with Awards maybe truly honoured since so many would be given awards today.

Luna started calling out soldiers that he and Jackie deemed to have deserved more.

he called out a Combat Medic that was performing her duty until the end, with many eye witness reports that Luna had collected in his special way and after action reports, This Medic was noted to have died while in the Line of Duty, when she was wounded by enemy fire but kept treating the wounded soldiers around her until she simply died of blood loss that devotion to see those around her are kept safe and so she got, The Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) this award boost her Endurance and Stamina allowing her to save more people, and Red Cross (2nd class) (RC II) this award gives a slow Healing aura around her, she was named Mary.

Next

The Jackal Major that been with Jackie till the end and sold his life covering the Medic, The Jackal had blocked all incoming fire towards the Medic with his shield and even after it had broken he still moved to block incoming fire with his arms ignoring the pain until his death by a Rocket was used to kill him and the Medic, and thus is awarded The Bravery Medal (BM) this award gives his shield more power and his body can take more hits before putting him down, he was named Kar'sill or Kar.

Next

A Grunt Minor was called out for solely destroying a King Tiger by blowing it and himself and thus was awarded The Conspicuous Service Cross (CSC)… it was awarded since Luna nor Jackie or anyone else knew if it was Bravery, Courage or Stupidity, but what is known that he had soloed a King Tiger and was the only one responsible for it's destruction, the Award improves his health and buffs nearby allies to perform similar uncommon acts of Courage, he was named Yip'Yip.

Next

The tank Commander of Challenger three was awarded The Victoria Cross for Extreme Bravery in the face of the enemy, his fast thinking allowed allied forces the survivors of Pelican Four giving them a chance to fight back and to prevent the enemy from capturing advanced equipment that could have made the battle ever so much worse, The Medal gave him improved abilities when leading his tank crew which provides buffs to the rest of the men, he was named Luke.

As Jackie handed out the last medal, despite her pain she changed her stance stood standing straight and gave them a salute and those assembled saluted back to her.

"Now I'm going back to lie down since these two are being assholes, AND WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE FOR FIVE MINUTES!" Jackie barked at the two Medics that saw it was over and started again to implore her to go back to the Med-bay...

Her Barking brought a many smile to the soldiers assembled but what made it funnier was when the Grunts rushed Jackie and carried her to the Med-bay, even Luna had to supress a laugh...

"I GIVE UP!" Jackie shouted as she left their sight... before everyone started laughing out loud at the sight of a grown woman being taken by basically midgets was a funny.

Spoiler

Most Medals and Awards will be Australian in origin since Jackie is an Aussie and Awards given by Vince would be New Zealand in origin since his a Kiwi. but special Awards will be made and only available to those that have already gotten awards.

The top Awards within the Ship and the three are equal but are more important in order from left to right, due to order of Precedence 

UNSC-Covenant Cross (UNSCCC), The Terra Cross (TC)and The Victoria Cross (VC).

But to get the TC you must have the VC and to get the UNSCCC you must have the VC and the TC...

I have made a Glossary for those with Medals/Awards

[collapse]
4