Ch.10: Edge of Disaster
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the sunlight reaches his window Tri awakens and shifts around in bed underneath his covers. Floating above him Edmond looks on him with a smirk as he looks around Tri’s room. As Tri struggles to stay asleep, his alarm clock rings, and he’s forced to reach out his arm and pressing it to calm the noise.

            Isn’t today another school day? Edmond asks.

            “Shut up,” Tri says forcing himself up. “Don’t you sleep?”

            I do have times of dormancy, but as for sleep exactly I have no exact need to sleep.

Tri gets out of bed and walks to his room door. “Well, you don’t watch when I go to the bathroom?”

            No, I go dormant within the Device during those times to preserve your privacy. Edmond says.

            “Well, thanks.”

Tri walks off out of the room as Edmond fades away.

 

A while later Tri sits in the living room with a bowl in front of him as Edmond floats around. He flips through channel after channel as Edmond watches on hoping to absorb the information he watches on the screen. As Tri gives up, he changes to the news as reports on various crimes across the city are reported.

            “Well, it’s better than nothing,” Tri says shoveling cereal into his mouth. “Although it does somewhat ruin my appetite.”

As news of more accidents goes on Edmond watches on. More Phantom attacks.

            “Well, how do you know?” Tri asks.

            I can feel it, the number of Phantoms across this city is increasing. It’s becoming increasingly common, but these phenomena surely must not be natural.

            “Well, it’s got nothing to do with me,” Tri says dismissively. “I only helped last night as a form of advanced self-defense. If more monster attacks go down, then I’ll just defend myself until I find some way to get rid of you.”

            Fine, do as you must. Edmond says. But I wonder, what exactly has caused this chaos. It is surely a mystery.

            “And one I have no interest in,” Tri says finishing up. “Now let’s get moving I’ve gotta hurry up and catch the bus.”

            True, a student must be diligent. Edmond says.

Tri rolls his eyes. “I said I don’t care about being diligent or whatever, all I want to do is keep my mom off my ass.”

            Regardless of this, I’m worried. Not only for the Humans but the Phantoms that are being affected as well.

            “The Phantoms?”

            Not all Phantoms have lost themselves, for example, myself, if someone got their hands on one and forced them to go along with their will then things could easily end in a disaster. Edmond explains. Especially since we do not know the origin of the technology used in that device attached to your arm.

Tri stares at the watch. “Well whatever this thing is and wherever it comes from are no matter. I’ll get this thing off soon and all of this will go back to being one big bad dream.”

Edmond smirks somewhat amused. Well, all we can do is hope that one day you can see that you can awaken from that bad dream of yours.

 

Elsewhere in a dark warehouse, a crowd of figures gathers with one sitting on top of a pile of garbage in a large makeshift chair. He smiles as he looks at a device attached to his arm and he looks down on his group.

            “Sir, we’re getting a call from him.” A woman says walking up to him holding a phone.

He grabs the phone. “What’s going on old timer?”

            “Be quiet!” A voice on the other end yells out. “How goes that job I gave you ruffians?

            “We did what you asked and now Phantoms are popping up everywhere.”

            “Of course, they are, but we don’t need random accidents to keep occurring so I’ll need your lot to gather them or doing something to keep them in line.

            “As long as you keep handing out toys like these then we’ll play along with you for as long as ya like.” He says with a mad grin.

            “The boss is excited.” A voice in the crowd says.

            “Of course, this Phantom business is the best thing to happen to him in some time.” Another says.

            “As long as I get to fight I don’t care.”

            “You group of brutes are the perfect enforcers but don’t get too cocky. I’ve been detecting some odd waves in the M-Network, it could be an abnormal Phantom or something of the like.

            “Don’t worry, we’ll handle it. You just keep playing in your workshop and making us cool toys.” He says hanging up the phone. “Alright boys let’s go hunting for Phantoms, shall we?”

 

A while later Tri sits on the bus staring out the window as Edmond sits inside of the watch. Tired from the previous night he stares at the door as it opens and notices Saffy standing at the bus stop in some form of a daze. Tired and concerned he rushes towards the doors and walks to Saffy’s side as she seems to snap out of her trance.

            “Hey Tri, good morning,” Saffy says.

            “Are you okay?”

            “I’m fine just a little tired.”

            She’s fatigued from her affinity to the Phantoms like you were drained from our battle last night she’s drained from some form of contact with a Phantom. Edmond says emerging from the watch.

            “Hey, Tri do you hear that voice?” Saffy asks. “It sounds a lot clearer now.”

            “Saffy?”

Saffy’s eyes divert away from Tri and stare at the space above his head as she reaches out her hand. “I can see something, someone floating above you.”

            “Saffy, it’s nothing you’re just a little tired,” Tri says.

            “No someone’s here. In fact, I think they’ve been here for some time, and I know that they can hear me.”

Edmond sighs. I cannot lie to you. I have been here with Tri for some time. Edmond touches Saffy’s hand and smiles somewhat. My name is Edmond and I am a hero from another world, but here I am nothing more than a Phantom.

            “A Phantom?” Saffy asks.

            “Oh great,” Tri says annoyed.

0