Ch.11: Deeds of the Hero
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “So, are you like a ghost or something?” Saffy asks staring up at the spot where Edmond floats. “I mean, you said you were a Phantom but isn’t that another word for ghost?”

            Well, while the concept is similar, I was told the thing that separates us from your idea of ghost are our origins.

            “Origins?”

            We come from another world, a dead world and something drew us into this world. While we are in a classical sense dead, we still have some form of life making us more Phantasmal beings than spirits of the dead. Edmond says explaining.

            “I think I get it,” Saffy says. “Hey, Tri do you understand?”

            “Can we please just wait for the bus in silence!?” Tri yells out annoyed.

Tri sits on a bench and lowers himself frustrated as he glares at Saffy and Edmond. As the pair look at him, they chuckle slightly as he sighs in frustration.

            “How come you didn’t tell me until now Tri? I would love to make a ghost friend.” Saffy says happily.

            He was concerned, you are someone with a natural attunement towards Phantoms making you a large target for us. I think keeping you in the dark was his way to keep you safe even if only by a little.

Saffy smiles. “You can just admit when you're worried about me, Tri.”

            “Yeah well, maybe I didn’t want to sound crazy talking about a ghost that I can combine with to fight evil ghosts that cause people to go crazy!” Tri yells out.

            I wouldn’t call them evil, more like overcome with madness. Edmond says.

Tri rolls his eyes. “Whatever, all that matters is that I just want to be rid of this crazy crap.”

            “I can understand it is a little overwhelming,” Saffy says. “Either way it sounds kind of cool when you think about it.”

            “Whatever just don’t get to used to the ghost hero over here, I soon as I can get rid of this I’m tossing it down into the deepest hole I can find,” Tri says holding up the watch. “Anyway, he wants his freedom to, so it works out in the end.”

            It’s true, I do wish to be free, then I can find a more willing partner to work with me. After all, if nothing is done this world will face crisis.

            “What does that mean?” Saffy asks.

            I don’t know that is what I was told when I awoke in this world. Edmond says seriously.

            “Told?” Saffy asks.

            Some time ago I awoke in this world and a voice told me everything I know, from there something sealed me into the coin trapped within the device.

Saffy holds down her head. “So, someone trapped you. It’s possible they wanted you to get out there and find a partner to fight evil or something?”

            “that doesn’t matter!” Tri yells out. “All that matters is that some crazy old man stuck me with this stupid haunted watch and now I’m dealing with the consequences.”

Saffy laughs and stares at Tri. “Alright, whatever you say.”

            “Don’t try to act all cute.”

            “Oh, come on, you know I know what you’re thinking.”

            “Shut up.”

Edmond looks down confused. What’s going on?

            “Tri’s worried, he wouldn’t be acting like this if he really didn’t care,” Saffy says happily. “He should just be honest with his feelings and stop trying to hide it.”

Tri blushes. “Shut up, the bus is coming!” Tri yells out.

Tri stands and Saffy laughs as a bus pulls up and the pair walk inside.

            I wish I could understand more about you Tri, having to rely so much on another is a foreign concept to me. Edmond says floating up to Tri.

            “Well don’t get used to it.” He whispers softly.

As the pair take their seats in the back of the bus, it pulls off and Tri gets comfortable. As he relaxes his mind drifts off and his eyes grow heavy and before long he’s asleep leaning on Saffy. Saffy looks up at him and smirks holding herself back from laughing as she see’s Edmond fading away disappearing before her eyes.

            “Huh?” She asks confused.

 

            “Dad…. Dad, where are you?” A young voice echoes out through a vast white void.

Edmond looks around wandering throughout the void, trying to get a sense of his odd surroundings.

            “Where is this?” He asks as he looks around. “What’s going on?”

            “Daddy!?” The voice yells out.

Edmond stops as the figure of a young boy appears in front of him crying. “Tri? Is that you? What’s going on here?”

            “Daddy!” The boy yells out.

            “I’m sorry to inform you but I am not your…”

The figure passes through and Edmond looks back to see a tall figure standing over the boy with a large grin. “Who is…”

            “Tri remember what I told you.” The large figure says in a loud voice.

            “Right, Rule number one, a Hero must never cry when they’re scared. Always show a brave face to encourage those around you.”

            “That’s right, and what else.”

            “Oh right, Rule number two, a Hero must never panic always keep a clear head and think of the best solution to escape any crisis.”

The figure leans down. “That’s right son. You’re on your way to being the best Hero you can be.”

            “Right!”

Edmond walks forward. “Tri?”

            “I’m going to be a great Hero, just like you Dad!” Tri yells out. “And one day I’ll get out there and save the world!”

            “I’m sure you will son.” The figure says as the surrounding void all shakes wildly. “I know you’ll get out there and do great things….” He says as his voice fades away.

 

Tri snaps awake on the bus holding his head as Saffy looks over him. “Are you awake?”

            “Yeah, I had a weird dream. All this hero talk must’ve gotten to me.”

            I must admit that was a strange experience. Edmond says floating over Tri. Who was that man you were talking to?

Tri quickly stands up and walks off of the bus ignoring Edmond.

            “Oh, it must’ve been one of those dreams.”

            Those dreams? Edmond asks resisting the urge to follow Tri.

Saffy sighs. “I guess I should tell you. When Tri was a kid he really wanted to be a Hero and did several great things.” She says pulling out her phone as she walks ahead. “There was one person he looked up to above all else.”

            And that person was his father?

            “Yes, but one day that person died and Tri and his family were never the same again,” Saffy says lowering her head. “Anyway, he’s touchy on the subject so never being that up again or he might lose it.”

            I can understand. We all have our scars deep within ourselves after all. Edmond says staring at Tri’s back.

0