Ch.8: Cavern Secrets
18 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside of the cavern, Lyn and Rayne travel deeper and deeper inside as Rayne looks around the area to keep an eye out for any enemies. Lyn, on the other hand, looks straight ahead as a light seems to come from the depths of the cave glowing brighter and brighter as she travels deeper inside.

            “So, are we getting closer?” Rayne asks concerned.

            “Why are you asking me?”

            “Because you’re the one that can see this supposed light,” Rayne says seriously. “If this turns out to be a trap, then I’m doubling what you owe me.”

            “Trust me, this is a real treasure,” Lyn says optimistic about her chances. “I know it is, and with it, I can get everything done and become a real Adventurer.”

Rayne sighs and walks forward. “If you’re sure about this, then let’s keep going although hopefully, this doesn’t blow up in our faces.”

As the pair walk ahead a loud crash comes from behind as the entire cave seems to rumble around them. “What is this?”

            “It’s a Monere, definitely. But last time the cave didn’t shake, this must be something bigger than last time.” Rayne says nervously.

A large claw smashes into the ground as they turn around to see the large leg of the creature. Watching on nervously a large scaly muzzle of a reptile-like creature forces its way forward scraping against the top of the cave.

            “What is that thing?” Lyn asks confused.

            “It’s a Monere, a monstrous Monere,” Rayne says staring at the monster. “For such a creature to be here, this is insane. How in the world is this thing even here?”

            “We can question that later for now let’s run.”

            “We’re running again, we should really stop coming to this cave,” Rayne says seriously.

Lyn and Rayne take off rushing towards the other end of the cavern as the creature struggles to move in the cave’s tight spaces. It barely manages to open its mouth as an intense blaze spouts from its maw as it shoots out a large fireball.

            “Damn it, this is why I hate Fire-breathers!” Rayne yells out pulling out a blue crystal as she slows down.

            “What’re you doing?” Lyn asks matching her pace.

Rayne pulls out more blue crystals and fills up her whole hand before turning around to face the wall of flames. “If this doesn’t work, then I’m going to haunt you for the rest of my life!”

            “Rayne!”

As the wall of fire comes closer Rayne’s hand glows brightly as a wave of water comes out of the palm of her hand. The water pushes her back as Lyn catches her and the pair fly back deeper into the cavern. Lyn smacks against a large wall with Rayne in her arms as the smoke from the extinguished flames surround them.

            “Are you okay?” Lyn asks holding Rayne.

            “I’m fine, you?” Rayne asks standing up. “You took a hard smack to your back just now, can you stand?”

Lyn forces herself to stand stretching out her back. “Yeah, I can stand, but what now? Is it dead?”

            “Not in the slightest.”

The smoke clears and ahead the monster struggles to move forward scraping against the walls and floor of the cavern with its massive size. “It’s too big to fit?”

            “That’s our only blessing here, for now, we should run.”

            “Run where?” Lyn asks.

            “The other exit. The smoke around is thinning that means there must be another exit or some sort of ventilation deeper inside.” Rayne says as she runs ahead. “When we get there, we can find our way out then…”

            “And hopefully that’s where the treasure is.”

            “If there is a treasure, and this isn’t some deathtrap.”

            “Believe me there’s a treasure!” Lyn yells out seriously.

The pair rush ahead as several small lizard-like monsters crawl out from the walls of the cave and leap down towards them. As they get close Lyn unsheathes her sword and slashes them as Rayne and her rush ahead.

            “So why isn’t there another wall of fire behind us?” Lyn asks concerned. “I’m not complaining, but it makes me nervous.”

            “My best guess, that thing’s flame sack is enormous, and he doesn’t have the space to breathe in inside this cave,” Rayne says seriously. “Of course, once we get into an open area, it’s going to torch the place.”

            “Great,” Lyn says.

As the pair rush ahead nervously, Lyn sees the light shine brighter and brighter in front of her until it becomes blinding. Following instinct, she continues rushing ahead even with her eyes completely blinded by the light.

            “Lyn!” Rayne yells out.

She blinks and finds herself inside of a large open space filled with plants, vines, and small flowers wrapped around a large hill. Above them the day’s sky illuminates the area giving the area a tranquil appearance and feel as Lyn looks around stunned.

            “Where are we?” Lyn asks confused.

            “It looks like we’re in the deepest part of the cavern, and our exit is up there,” Rayne says pointing up. “So now all you have to do is get us out of here.”

Lyn looks around struggling against the gathered vines. “Yeah, but what about the treasure?”

            “What treasure, we should be focused on escaping right now,” Rayne says seriously as she looks up. “If I give us a good enough boost with some wind magic, and you finish the way with your Air Walk, we could possibly escape.”

Lyn hacks into the vines cutting away at them as she walks into the heap to climb the hill. “Are you coming?”

            “Lyn, please listen this is serious. If that thing gets in here then we’re certainly going to die.” Rayne says following her onto the hill. “If you’re not going to listen, then the both of us are going to die…”

Before her, a sword sits embedded in the stone covered in vines and slightly rusted thanks to age and decay. Lyn stands staring down at the blade with Lyn standing at her side both somewhat enraptured by the blade.

            “What is this?” Rayne asks confused. “This sword is drawing so much Mana into it.”

Lyn smiles as she looks at Rayne. “Do you know what this thing is?”

            “What?”

            “This here is our treasure. This is the treasure that’ll change our whole lives!” Lyn yells out excitedly as she leaps into the air.

2