Ch.9: Sword in the Stone
21 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyn and Rayne stand before an odd sword embedded in stone covered in vines and foliage, with a thick coating of rust from ages of being trapped. Lyn reaches out and grabs the hilt of the blade as Rayne watches on with Mana being drawn from the area. She grips hard and a bright light shines blinding Lyn and Rayne as they're forced to close their eyes.

            “Ouch!” Lyn yells out as she let’s go.

Lyn opens her eyes and finds herself on the ground staring at the sword as it sits unmoved from its previous stone casing.

            “So, you couldn’t move the sword?” Rayne asks curiously. “It’s not only a matter of the sword being trapped in stone, it’s also a matter of magical enchantment.”

            “Enchantment?” Lyn asks leaping up staring at the blade.

            “Yes, someone cast magic on the sword to prevent anyone from taking it, the only way to take it is to break the spell or break the stone the sword is trapped in,” Rayne says sternly looking at the sword. “And this is some high-level enchantment, so I can’t break it even if we had time to do it.”

            “Then who can?” Lyn asks curiously.

            “Possibly the Mother at the Coven, but she’s all the way in town and we’re trapped here,” Rayne says looking above. “But if we could get out, then we could get her and come back.”

Lyn looks shocked at the mere idea as she rushes to the sword. “There’s no way, I can’t go back empty-handed.”

            “If this is about treasure or money, then I’ll lend you some money and then you can keep your apartment.”

            “That’s not the point!” Lyn yells out falling to the ground. “I, I want to go on an Adventure. I want to be an Adventurer that’s what I’ve always wanted.”

            “Lyn.”

            “This sword, it’s the first thing I’ve ever found on my Adventures, not being able to take it back with me feels like an insult!” Lyn yells out punching the ground. “I’m a screw-up, I fail at everything I do, and I can’t even become a proper Adventurer.”

Rayne turns her head. “Lyn listen, sometimes life isn’t easy, but I don’t think you should give up on yourself.”

            “Huh?”

            “So, what if you’re not an Adventurer officially, and you’re only doing it as a hobby right now? I believe in your potential, and I believe in your potential.”

            “Rayne.”

Rayne reaches down and grabs Lyn’s shoulder. “Now can we end this dumb pity party? Let’s get home already and then we can get the Mother and come back for the sword.”

            “Alright.” Lyn stands up and looks at Rayne hugging her tightly. “You know I love you right?”

            “Yeah, yeah. Now let’s hurry up before we’re attacked by more Monere.”

Almost immediately a small group of lizard-like monsters crawl out of the walls of the surrounding cavern looking downwards and eyeing the pair. They leap down to the ground surrounding the pair as they hiss loudly as Lyn and Rayne quickly shift into their battle positions.

            “Damn it, we wasted too much time on your damned pity party,” Rayne says holding out her staff.

            “I’m sorry I was just feeling so defeated,” Lyn says nervously. “Anyway, let’s take care of these things and get this done with.”

            “Fine!” Rayne holds her staff out into the air as the wind swirls around her. “Well, at least this is good for experience.”

Lyn leaps into the air as Rayne shoots out a blast of air around her slicing into a few of them cutting them in half as Lyn lands on the ground and charges ahead. Lyn slices into one lizard after another decapitating two and cutting the chest of a few more as she rushes in. Rayne chants as she pulls out two small red crystals and makes large fireballs shooting them at the lizards on the walls of the cavern.

            “There are a stupid amount of these damn things,” Rayne says annoyed as she reaches down to grab more crystals.

Lyn continues slicing and chopping into lizard after lizard as they start to surround her. Three small lizards shoot out fireballs at her as she leaps into the air and dodges each of the attacks charging in and cutting into the closest lizard. As its body balloons and swell she kicks it away towards some other lizards as it explodes and takes out several other lizards.

            “Well, at least these things are easy,” Lyn says seriously. “And once we’ve got these things taken care of then we can leave.”

            “Fine fine,” Rayne says annoyed.

Killing a few more of the lizards the pair stand around exhausted as the remaining lizards start to flee and the pair come to each other exhausted. The pair falls to the ground and catches their breathes as they look up into the air.

            “So, what’s your plan to get out of here?” Lyn asks.

            “I use some wind magic to give us a push and then you finish it and get us out of this hole,” Rayne says seriously. “It might take some work, but I think we can get it done.”

Lyn stares up. “I think it will work, but I don’t know about how we will deal with the landing.”

            “We’ll deal with that when we get to it.”

            “Alright let’s go.”

Suddenly a loud roar shakes the area and at the mouth of the cave where the two entered a large figure forces its way through. A large lizard creature with fire coming from its mouth and the scales on its head and stomach peeled off due to clawing its way through the cavern. It stands with its darkened scales seemingly shining on in the sunlight as its shadow casts throughout the area.

            “I honestly forgot that he was back there,” Lyn says forcing herself to stand.

            “This is bad, there’s no way we can take this guy on, he’s way too strong,” Rayne says seriously reaching for several small crystals. “We can hold it off, but I have no idea how we can get out of here.”

Lyn grips the hilt of her sword and stares at the creature jumping into the air and she charges towards it. As she moves closer the large lizard swipes at her in the air with its large claw with Lyn jumping out of the way and higher into the air.

            “Lyn!” Rayne calls out.

Lyn points her sword down to the monster as she glares at it. “I won’t let you. I won’t let you end my Adventure here! I will definitely kill you and become a real Adventurer!”

As she shouts unbeknownst to Rayne or herself the sword glows softly with every word out of her mouth.

1