Ch.10: A Moment of Fate
23 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A giant lizard looks up at Lyn with fire spitting out of its mouth as Rayne stands on the sidelines gathering energy around her as she chants to cast a spell. She launches a large stream of water out at the side of the monster knocking it to the side as it turns towards her. Lyn rushes in as its head is turned and stabs into its forehead and digging her blade deep into its skull. The beast roars out in pain shooting fire out into the air causing the fire to rain down across the area.

            “Damn it!” Lyn yells out as she jumps around to avoid the fire.

            “Stupid fire-breather.” Rayne creates a barrier of water around herself to keep the fire from hitting her. “Lyn, get over here!”

Lyn jumps dodging the fire as she comes into the monster’s sight and it stares her down growling intensely. It swipes at her with its large claw pinning her to the ground with its sharp scales and claw piercing into her skin and armor drawing blood from the unprotected limbs. The beast puts pressure on her body pushing her into the ground as she yells out in pain with her bones cracking from the weight of the beast.

            “Lyn!” Rayne yells out shooting a massive bolt of lightning hitting the beast and knocking it back as it roars out in pain.

Lyn pushes herself away using a large burst of wind to move away from the monster and smashing her back against the hill. Rayne rushes to her side and looks over her body as Lyn struggles to stand.

            “No don’t, you’re too injured. It must’ve broken a few bones when it crushed you.”

Lyn forces herself up as she looks up at the monster as it looks towards the pair. “Rayne, what do we do?”

Rayne holds out her staff and stares at the beast. “I’ll hold it off and you escape past it. Run down the cave passage and don’t look back.”

            “No!” Lyn yells out. “You’d be sacrificing yourself.”

Rayne pulls out a handful of crystals as she stands trying to seem strong as she looks at Lyn. “I’ve still got a pouch full of crystals and I can still cast some spells out to hold it off. Without you around, I can use my magic unrestrained, so just leave.”

            “No, I can’t!” Lyn yells out. “I can’t leave you!”

Rayne looks back at her with a wide grin and rushes ahead. “Don’t get yourself killed, you’re an Adventurer, aren’t you? You should know when to leave when things get too dangerous, I’ll see you back in town later.”

The monster gathers flames inside of its mouth as it stares down at Rayne as it stomps ahead towards her. It shoots a blast of flame down at her as she tosses three blue crystals out to create a barrier of water around herself, channeling energy into it to keep it enforced.

            “Rayne,” Lyn says forcing herself up with pain coursing through her entire body. “What can I do?”

She stares at the monster’s head and sees her sword embedded into its head as she clenches her fist. “If I had a sword, then I could do something, I could still fight.”

She looks back at the sword embedded in the stone and rushes towards it gripping the blade with both hands. “Come on you stupid thing, enchantment or not I need you. I can’t let Lyn die because I was stupid!”

She pulls with all her might but the blade refuses to move as she continues to pull harder and harder as her muscles ache. As her injured body cries out for her to stop, she keeps pushing forcing herself to tighten her grip and forcing herself to stand.

            “Come on you stupid thing!” She yells out as she struggles. “Come on!”

As she pulls the sword seems to glow with a bright light, growing brighter and brighter as she continues to struggle against it. As she struggles the glow brightens and an odd burning sensation travels up her arm, she feels the sword start to buckle and move towards her.

            So, are you the one chosen by fate? You’ll walk down a dangerous and difficult road from here on, but if you keep true to yourself, then I’m sure you can overcome even the greatest of sins. A voice says echoing through Lyn’s head.

            “What is that?” She asks as she light dims and her vision returns.

She looks around and sees the sword in her hand with odd symbols seemingly burned into her palm. Almost immediately she looks at the monster as Rayne struggles to keep her barrier up.

            “Alright you stupid thing, I don’t know if your special or if your magic, but I’m going to use you and save my friend.” She says staring at the blade. “So, let’s go!”

She leaps high into the air jumping repeatedly as she charges towards the monster with the sword in her hand. The monster stops and stares up at her as the sword glows brighter and brighter as Rayne watches on. In the blink of an eye, the rust and age that was once on the blade seem to fade away as it shines like new once again with odd symbols etched into the blade.

            “Lyn?” Rayne asks curiously.

Lyn yells out as she approaches the monster slicing into its throat causing a shock wave of light to shoot out from the slice completely decapitating the monster. With one last roar, its head falls from its shoulders and Lyn falls to the ground grabbing her stolen sword on the way down snapping it in half with her fall.

            “Lyn!” Rayne yells out rushing towards her side. “Lyn are you okay?”

            “I’m fine…” Lyn lifts herself up surprised that her previous aches and pains have seemingly faded away and she looks towards Rayne with a smile on her face. “I did it, I got the sword.”

Rayne falls to the ground and simply smiles. “Well it’s good that your attitude has improved, but please don’t switch between feelings so quickly, it’s bad for my health.”

            “Sorry, but we have the treasure now,” Lyn says happily. “And now the monster’s dead and we don’t have to…”

Behind her, the monster’s corpse glows and its body swells. “It’s going to explode.”

            “What!?” Lyn yells out.

            “It’s a fire-breather, and with its massive size we’ll die in the blast,” Rayne says falling to the ground. “I’m too exhausted to use my magic, and you can’t reach all the way up there, so we’re dead.”

Lyn stares up into the opening as the monster’s corpse continues to grow redder and larger. Holding the sword with the symbols on her hand glowing white with an odd glow as she reaches down and grabs Rayne and holds her close.

            “Rayne, this isn’t the end. We’re going to make it out of here and then we’ll go on another Adventure.”

            “Lyn?”

            “Do you trust me?”

Rayne shrugs her shoulders and smiles. “I guess I do, I’ve been with you for over a decade. So, I guess I can stick around even if we burn to ash together.”

            “No, we won’t!” Lyn yells out.

Lyn jumps into the air repeatedly leaping into the air higher and higher with every jump. Her and Rayne climb higher as the monster’s corpse glows and suddenly rupture resulting in a large explosion that takes up the entire area. Lyn continues straining herself as the dust cloud explosion pushes her up higher as the pair fly out of the cave’s opening and find themselves high in the sky.

            “We’re outside,” Rayne says surprised. “We’re still alive.”

            “Maybe, we still will,” Lyn says nervously. “I’m exhausted, I can’t jump anymore.”

Rayne smiles, and the two falls to the ground. “Well you got us this far, I guess I can finish this for the both of us.” She says as she gather’s energy around her. “It might be a bumpy landing though.”

1