Ch.23: Assault Aftermath
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “Her condition is stable, but she has yet to wake up.” A voice echoes across a vast dark void. “Her Mana has already recovered, so Mana Depletion is ruled out.”

            “This could have something to do with the Lumen? The Zwaards are a mystery to most across the continent.” Another voice echoes out.

Lyn sits down amid a dark void surrounded by nothingness as she stares into the sky. As the voices reach her ears, she stands to stare up into the darkness trying to find the source of the voices. As she stands a bright light shines in front of her and she reaches out her as it takes the form of a sword.

 

Lyn jumps up in a bed taking a deep breath as a doctor and a nurse looks down on her stunned. As she looks up at them the pair stare at each other and then rushes out of the room into the hallway yelling out for any help. Confused about her current situation she looks around the sterile white room as she falls back onto the bed.

            “Where am I?” She asks looking around.

            That’s what I want to know. Avalon sits against the wall nearby as she turns to face it. Why is it that ever since you found me I’ve been in weird place after weird place?

Lyn smiles as she reaches down to grab the sword. “Well at least know we’re in a weird place together, and this proves I’m not dead, so that’s good.”

            “I’d hope not.” A voice says from behind her.

Turning around an old man in a lab coat walks up to her with a smile on his face. “Well Ms. Lyndis Mackle, it’s good to have you awake with us once again.”

            “Um am I in the hospital in Origo City?”

            “Yes, this is the city hospital.”

Lyn smiles. “Good, then that means the city wasn’t completely wrecked by the Monere invasion.” She says relieved as she leans back onto her bed.

Her body aches as pain moves all throughout her body, she almost screams out in pain but stops herself at the last moment.

            “I should’ve warned you, you injured yourself pretty bad in the last attack. And you completely depleted your Mana reserves, so some exhaustion isn’t unexpected even a week later.”

            “My Mana Reserves?”

            “That’s right, everyone gathers Mana inside of themselves naturally. But if you use all of your Mana in one go, then you’ll pass out from exhaustion.” He says as he inspects her. “As someone who isn’t a Magus and isn’t trained on proper Mana control, you used it all up in one giant go completely emptying yourself.”

            “Huh? Maybe that’s why I can’t wield Avalon properly?”

            “It’s possible, Magical Swords do use a lot of Mana when you wield them and since you’re not used to using your Mana then, of course, you’d have an issue.” He says with a smile as he walks off. “Well rest for now and don’t worry about paying the bill someone else is covering it for you.”

Lyn puts Avalon down at her side and rests on the bed relaxing as the soft pillow envelops her head. “I wonder if they have an open room for rent, this place is way better than my apartment.”

 

After a day Rayne rushes to Lyn’s room where she sits down and watches her handing her a large bottle of an odd liquid. Lyn takes the bottle and drinks it before nearly vomiting it back up.

            “It’s bitter!” Lyn yells out struggling to hold back her disgust for the concoction. “What the hell is this stuff?”

            “It’s something to help you recover your Mana since it would take you forever to make a full recovery,” Rayne says seriously. “You can thank the Mother for that, she was insistent that I give that to you.”

            “Well tell her I said thanks, but I’d rather recover the normal way,” Lyn says seriously as she leans back onto the bed.

            The sooner you get better, the sooner we’ll be able to leave this place. Avalon says seriously. So, shouldn’t you be trying your hardest to get out of that bed so you can get back to training?

            “I know I should try to leave here sooner, but this place is so relaxing,” Lyn says happily.

Rayne sighs. “You’re lucky this situation has been wrapped up easily. With the Monere gone there’s no need to prosecute you, especially since Tyra was the one who started that mess, to begin with.”

            “That’s good, it would be a pain if I was arrested for something I didn’t even do.”

            “Well, you shouldn’t relax just yet. You and that sword were the root cause of that crisis, I hope you’ve learned something from this experience and that hardship.”

Lyn sits up. “I did, I understand what I did and what Tyra did. I don’t want to cause any more incidents like that ever again, and to do that I have to learn to properly wield Avalon.”

            “That’s good,” Rayne says with a smile. “You might actually end up becoming an Adventurer at this rate.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean!?” Lyn yells out.

            “Just take what I said to heart and think about it for a time.” She says standing up from her seat. “Rest for now and don’t forget your promise to me.”

            “Promise? Oh, right for dessert!” Lyn yells out happily. “I’ll look forward to it.”

            “Why you’re the one paying,” Rayne says happily. “Sometimes you’re just weird.”

Rayne leaves the room and Lyn sits in her bed as she breathes happily looking into the ceiling as her mind wanders. She leans back simply staring with a smile on her face.

            Hey Lyn, what’re you thinking about? Avalon asks curiously.

            “Once I get out of here, I’m not going to stop any more.”

            Huh?

            “I’m going to move forward without the thoughts and beliefs that held me back. So, I’ll work harder than ever and become the Adventurer that I’ve always wanted to be.”

            Go for it! Avalon yells out. I’ll be by your side the whole time. Let’s make sure to become the strongest in the land!

            “Why’re you so gung-ho all of a certain?”

            I don’t know, but I feel like if we can go forward we can make progress. And then I can figure out what exactly I am.

            “But aren’t you the Legendary Zwaard Lumen?”

            I both an and am not the Lumen. For right now I’ll believe that I am Avalon, but I’d like to understand my true self over time. Avalon says seriously. So please let’s travel the world and let’s find out who I am while we become the strongest pair in the land.

            “Alright,” Lyn says happily. “We’ll find out about each other and grow as a pair.”

            Thank you, Lyn, my partner.

0