Ch.24: Lyndis Mackel
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the days pass Lyn finishes her recovery and returns to her apartment. Her landlord greets her happily as she returns to her room and lies on her own bed after spending two weeks in the hospital. She places Avalon on the wall next to her and examines her room to notice several repairs have been made to the room.

            “My doorknob actually stays on the door now!” She yells out excitedly as she looks at the door. “And the holes in the floor have been patched!”

            Yeah, it doesn’t look like such a crap hole anymore, although it still isn’t the cleanest place.

Lyn ignores Avalon and lies on her bed with a smile as she stares up at the patched-up ceiling with a smile on her face. After some time, she passes out gently going to sleep happy to be sleeping in her own room after so long.

 

As the sun rises Lyn wakes up to greet the day with a large smile on her face. She snatches up Avalon and runs out of the door before running back into her room. She changes her clothes into her guard uniform and armor and then goes back outside leaving the apartments as her landlord waves her off.

She enters the city out from the alleyway, she rushes ahead to see most of the damage done by the battle already fixed. Everything slowly returns to normal and people go about their lives as if the battle never even happened.

            “It’s great.”

            What is? Avalon asks curiously.

Lyn smiles. “How everything can go back to normal so easily.”

            Hey, don’t forget, you said you would move forward.

            “Right, right, I won’t forget,” Lyn says happily.

 

Lyn makes her way to the central guard building and notices the building almost completely empty. Confused as she searches the building she makes her way to the training grounds. As she enters, she finds an entire crowd of guards standing at attention before saluting her as she comes into view.

            “Congratulations Lyndis Mackel!” They all yell out in unison.

            “What is this?” Lyn asks curiously.

Captain Ronah walks up from behind her with a large smile on his face. “We’re saluting our hero who saved Origo City.”

            “Wait are you talking about me?” Lyn asks confused before blushing brightly. “Geez, guys this is so embarrassing.”

            “We’re also saluting you on your last day of work.” He says seriously.

            “What!?” She yells out confused. “Wait, I’m fired!”

            “Yes.” Ronah walks in front of her and stares her down. “While there are no criminal charges as Tyra has taken the blame for the entire incident, you still helped in leading this city to near ruin.”

Lyn lowers her head. “I admit it, it’s my fault that everyone almost got hurt.”

            “Yes, it was your carelessness that led to that incident. But I take it you’ve learned from the incident?”

            “Yes! So please can I keep my….”

            “Sorry, but that’s a no go.” He says seriously. “But isn’t this the best thing for you?”

            “Huh?”

He holds out a sack of coins. “This is two thousand gold, with this you should be able to afford your own weapon and armor.”

            “Wait what’s going on?”

            “Everyone donated what they could for you and we came up with this, now Lyndis or Lyn do you know what this means?”

Lyn’s eyes widen as she looks at the gathered guards. “Everyone.”

            “Go out there Lyndis!” One guard yells out.

            “You were a fun one girly!”

            “Aren’t you an Adventurer, why stick around here with a bunch of us Guards?”

Each of the guards yells out as Lyn cries before she quickly wipes away her tears. She leaps into the air and looks down at everyone, she steels herself and gives a stern face and salutes the gathered group.

            “Everyone, I Lyndis Mackel thank you for putting up with me for so long!” She yells out to the gathered crowd. “I thank you for everything you’ve taught me and giving me this opportunity, to begin with!”

She tries to hold back her tears as she lowers herself and everyone surrounds her with smiles on their faces.

            Come on Lyn, you’ve gotta sound cool in situations like this. If you’re going to sit around crying like a baby why draw everyone’s attention to you in the first place?

 

After some time, Lyn leaves the building with the sack of gold in hand as she returns to her apartment. She smiles happily as she walks through the alley and rushes into her room closing the door carefully as she puts Avalon on the ground. She stares at her reflection in a small mirror she smiles as she wipes away the tears still coming out of her eyes as she tries to find her composure.

            “Damn it, I cried all the way here like a chump.”

            Yeah you did, but now you don’t have a job, so now what’re you going to do?

She looks back and smiles at Avalon. “Don’t you know what this means?”

            No idea.

            “This means there’s nothing holding us back now.” Lyn smiles as she lowers herself to look right at Avalon. “We’ve got no borders.”

            No borders for what? Wait, you don’t mean?

            “We’re going to do it, Avalon, we’re going to become official Adventurers and to do that we’re forming a guild.”

            A guild!?

            “A group of Adventurers coming together to seek adventure and treasure, fame, fortune, and greatness! We’ll become the best of friends and allies as we travel and conquer all the mysteries of the world!”

            Yeah! Now how do we do that?

            “Huh?”

            From the sound of it, we’ll need allies to form a guild. Right now, it’s just you and me, but we only count as one person because I’m a sword.

Lyn lowers her head and falls to the floor. “You're right, what do we do now?” Lyn asks concerned. “Wait there’s something we can do.”

            What?

            “We can ask Rayne, she’s my friend so she might actually want to join us in the guild.”

            Are you sure about this? I don’t exactly understand Witches, but I don’t know if she’ll join us for your dream.

Lyn sits on her bed and smiles happily. “Either way this is a beginning.”

            A beginning?

            “Let it be known that today is the day that Lyndis Mackel took her first steps as an official unofficial Adventurer who’ll soon rock the entire world!”

            That’s setting a reasonable goal.

            “Oh, be quiet. We’ll conquer every challenge we face and become the greatest Guild in the entire world.” Lyn says unable to wipe the smile from her face. “I swear it.”

            Well, let’s do it!

            “Yeah trust me, Rayne will definitely say yes,” Lyn says happily.

0