Hello Dad…
65 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sam's father's number? What do you need it for?" His voice had a bit of suspicion and he appeared as if he turned a bit defensive.

Looking at Sam questioningly, she hesitated a bit before nodding.

Getting her approval, I answered Dan:

"She.. I mean Sam want to talk to him.." 

There was silence from the other side for a long while, as if the call got cut, but I didn't hear the peeping of a disconnected call so I just waited.

"Sam wants to talk to.. To her father?" He repeated.

"Yeah, she wants to talk to him." 

"And.. She's with you right now?" He asked after a long period of silence.

"Ye.. Yeah." I answered hesitantly.

There was another long period of silence, I didn't know what Dan was thinking, but I still waited for him to talk again and didn't push him.

"Okay, wait for a bit." He finally said.

After I got the phone number from him and thanked him, then I added:

"Also, can you not tell them that she might call them? That's something she specifically asked for.." 

"... Ok, I won't do that.." He said 

"Thanks a lot," I said and as I was going to hang up I heard him say faintly:

"Tell her we miss her..." After that, he hung up.

Lowering my phone I released a deep breath I didn't even know I was holding till then and turned to Sam.

She wasn't any better than me in any way ، she had her head lowered and was holding her face between her hands.

"He.. He said that they miss you.."

She shook a bit before nodding slowly.

"Do you want to try and talk to your father right now or.." I asked.

"... Let's leave it to tomorrow.. I need a bit of time... Now that I'm thinking about it and I'm going to do it... I'm.. I'm starting to panic a bit..." She stuttered between fast breaths.

"It's alright, you don't have to push yourself, let's just take it slow. Come here." Finishing my words I brought her close for a hug.

The next morning everything was well, Sam appeared much better than she was the day before and we had our breakfast normally.

At work, she was a bit absentminded but nothing big, as our shift was ending and we were leaving, she got called by the manager who appeared as if she had just remembered something:

"Oh, right! Sam, when will you need that vacation? I will have to work things with the others." 

Sam froze in her place for a bit before answering:

"I will get back to you later tonight.." 

Leaving the shop after saying goodbye to everyone, Sam signed heavily. I just moved my hand and held hers tightly.

"Judy.. Can you be the one who talks to him first... I don't even know if I can handle that at this point." Sam said while gripping my hand.

"Of course, there's no problem

We returned home, made dinner and then set down in silence for a bit before Sam finally said:

"You can go on? Ask him if he wants to talk to me.." If not for how quiet the room was I wouldn't have heard her.

"You sure?" I answered.

She nodded.

I held my phone and searched for the phone number before calling.

Listening to the peeping sound before the call connected my heartbeats got faster peep by peep.

"Hello, who's this?" Finally, a man's voice answered, it was clear and sounded a bit old, but also calm and collected.

"Hello, is this Randy?" I tried my best to keep my voice even and not to stutter.

"Yeah it's me, what do you want?" 

"My name is Judy, I'm.. I'm a friend of your daughter, and she wants to speak to you, is...Is that alright with you...?" No matter how hard I tried to stop it, I still stuttered and I felt as if my speech came out a bit weird,

There was no replay from the other side for quite a long time, just as I was wondering if I should say something I finally heard the sound of someone taking a deep breath before I heard:

"Sam.. Sam is in there with you?" He asked, this time his voice was a bit crisp and hoarse.

"Yes, she's right next to me.." I answered him while throwing her a glance.

Her head was lowered and she was clenching her hands together till her fingers became white, hearing my answer, she lowered her head even more.

"Can... You pass her the phone..?" He continued in the same hoarse crisp voice.

"Ok.. Wait for a bit please..."

Moving the phone away a bit from me, I whispered to Sam quietly so he can't hear me:

"He wants to talk to you.." 

She shook a bit before lifting her head and reaching out for my phone. Taking it from me, she held it for a while before finally taking a deep breath and bringing it to her ear:

"... Hello dad.." She finally said.

5