12. Spirits Within
388 6 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If Mom was in jail, she must've done it on purpose.

[Why would someone want to be jailed?]

There I saw Mom lying with her stomach exposed—she looked so comfy; painting a stark contrast to the prisoners. I didn't want to look them in the eye or they might do something bad to me.

The torches were still lit, despite morning sun in its gap. The guards slept on the job; her room's unlocked.

"I'm here, Mom."

I lightly tapped on the metal bars, and Mom lazily stretched, got up, and rubbed her eyes.

"I knew you'd came."

I wasn't sure right now--did she get two decades younger?

If I wasn't familiar with her, I would think she's my long-lost big sis.

Though, I'm not here just to ogle her.

"Mom, I wonder if Youko has a penis?"

The weird question didn't make her flinch at all.

"Is that what your friend was curious about?"

"Kinda."

I rubbed my chin; reminiscing the last time I had baths with her.

I couldn't remember what she's like down there,

[Sweet Home, Alabama.]

"If you didn't remember, then it's nothing special. Our Youko is just a normal girl."

[Tch, it's boring.]

Reality is often disappointing.

"Anything you'd like to ask? I don't think you're here just for that."

"Mom, please take better care of yourself. This stone bed is bad for your back. If you can, I hope you stay out of trouble.

I, Dad, and Youko will be upset if something happened."

It might be selfish of me, but I don't want my family to go where I couldn't reach.

While she's exceptionally strong, I wasn't sure anymore, when I saw her like this.

"Right, right—who's the mother here?"

...and she gave me a forehead flick.

"Aww..."

"I know what I'm doing." her hands rested on the bed, and she gazed onto the distance, "It's been such a long time since I slept in prison."

Her hand trailed on the walls, "I'm just going on a nostalgic trip.

You might remember--some of my friends are dead in this kind of room. If I slept here, it's like I'm back to the old days, and felt closer to their souls.

Especially ones already disowned by their family, with no graves to visit. It's kind of sad—like they're fated to be imprisoned forever, don't you think?"

It's one reason why I don't believe in religion anymore.

"Even if it's just a moment, I just want to tell that they're not alone and there's always hope.

...but seeing as I didn't talk to anyone, they must have passed on already, eh?"

"Or they might have become my minions!"

I heard a hollow, dark voice—but there's no such sinister aura.

Also, it's like this space was separated from the outside world. I couldn't even look outside my cell nor hear the other prisoners.

"Huh?"

I rubbed my eyes.

Did I just see a Lich sitting cross-legged in the corner? He waved his bony arms while munching on his Doritas and drinking the Mountain Jew.

I guess undead in this world could still enjoy food and drink.

"Your friend?"

My mom tilted her head.

"No idea."

Judging by his snacks, he probably came from Earth as well.

"In any case, he didn't seem like a bad person."

"You got that right, missy. I just love memes and necromancy. I am none other than the Meme Necromancer."

Oh...

Who the hell was that, again?

"Anyway, since you're a lich—do you have lots of magic books?"

When I returned the Space Magic book, the owner actually didn't have ones about golem making.

Since he's a Necromancer, I could use this chance to learn it. It doesn't matter if I have to settle for an undead maid, as long she's great at chores.

"Tell me a meme first."

"When does the Narwhal bacon?"

"Mid—hey, did you just..."

When I look at Mom's side—she's already gone.

I kinda hate him for butting in, but we're getting somewhere—I will forgive him.

"Fine, I can teach you Necromancy—but if you're my disciple, you might get into lots of trouble."

"Why?"

"I'm actually one of Demon Lord's Four Heavenly Kings."

"Why is it 'Heavenly' if you're the Demon Lord's servant?"

"Can't a Demon Lord be heavenly? Can't an Angel be demonic? Brother, you hurt me—no more."

System Imouto had been silent for a while.

"Couldn't I just borrow your book? If you didn't teach me anything, it's no problem—right? There's also a saying--you can learn a lot from your enemies."

"When was I your enemy?"

"Isn't Demon Lord supposed to be enemy of humanity?"

Meme Necromancer tapped his skull, and his goblin fire blazed:

"Not exactly...but we had been hunted alive by a certain Church.

They had their roots in the dark world—everywhere. Not like they're a match for me though.

Only idiots would assume that undead are always of dark-element, and they're weak to holy element. If you just treat undead like a summoned beast—wouldn't it be interesting to see them grovel at their feet?"

"Oh..did you just--"

"Whoops...sorry, I got to go—the Demon Lord's calling me."

A black cloud enveloped him, and he went poof just like that.

He didn't even lend me a book—what a bastard.

...and thanks to him, I had no idea where Mom went.

==

[To be fair, he never said he'll lend you.

...but I think his comprehension is more than enough.]

Like that would help me summon a cute zombie maid that's great at housework.

[So you're into necrophilia huh...]

...and why did that Meme Necromancer pop here?

He wasn't supposed to be here!

"I have some books regarding golems—but since you love necrophilia..."

"NO!"

"Also, I have to tell you one more thing about the Church.

...they're only after the Undead."

"Say that first, you bastard! You had me worried for nothing."

"How am I supposed to know whether you're dead inside? "

[Well, he got a point.]

"If you decide to form a pact with an undead, you should prepare nonetheless.

Know this, MC-kun. No matter what you do, there's always an entitled snowflake that will be pissed...BUT!"

He held his boney palms and shouted exaggeratedly.

"If they do came at you, it's your chance to slap their face to death—along with their entire family and ancestors."

Oh boy.

I don't want that cultivation bullshit here, please?

"Don't worry though, they can't come at you—if they're already dead."

[Omae wa mou, shindeiru.]

"I'm un-dead, learn the difference."

Right, right.

At this rate, we should make a comedy duo—and I want no part of it.

To be honest, I really had no idea where the story is going. I'm just writing the stuff I find fun at the time, and just wing out whatever.

My whole life is filled with boring things and mediocrity. Writing is one of the few things that made me feel alive, when I got the inspiration.

I don't want to write good stories--I want ones I can have fun the most :D

6