An Emergency Request
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Names of applicants left blank to protect their identities

"Ughhh!" Dylan sighed, "Fourteen more requests asking for 'Overpowered Hero With Female Harem'! I swear, all we ever get is applications from horny shut-ins."

"Funny that you're the one complaining," Marshall said, grinning. "I mean, self-insert power fantasies are the only thing you ever read." 

"Well, I'm sorry that you can't just have fun and enjoy that sort of thing," Dylan snapped back. 

"Well, if we don't have any requests that work, move on to something else," Victoria responded, busy typing away at her computer. "Oh, that reminds me- did you see the email I sent you, Marsh?"

"Oh, the one about the request due in a week?" He stood up, walking over to the printer. "I printed out the forms already, but I haven't started anything else."

"What's this request about?"

"To put it simply, they're asking for someone to lead a rebellion against a corrupt monarchy. It's actually a very small kingdom in question, but it's considered an urgent matter because tons of civilians are being executed for treason without evidence."

"Any prerequisites?" Dylan opened a program on his computer and started clicking away.

"Healthy, preferably male, willing to physically fight, and other general leadership qualities. Oh, and before you ask- approximately equivalent to medieval society with a few differences. No magic."

"You're gonna have a tough time with that one, I bet," Victoria laughed. "The lack of magic alone probably eliminates over half of the possible applicants."

"Are you sure we can't pass this on to another branch? One that's more specialized in non-magical reincarnations?"

"Dylan, it's really not that specific of a request," Marsh noted. "I get your point, but I think we should be able to take care of this with the applicants we have."

"Just to clarify, when you say 'no magic', do you mean absolutely no magic at all, can't-change-aspects-of-the-summonee at all?"

"Yes."

"Alrighty then, that definitely limits the options," Dylan sorted through the application files on the screen.

"Okay, found two possible candidates," he announced.

"Let's hear 'em," Veronica looked over towards Dylan, curious about the results.

"Okay, Person #1, ****************. Seventeen, does track and field, his only request is "Someplace I can be a hero"."

Marsh stifled a laugh. "This guy would match practically any world's job offer because of his request. I don't think he'll be too excited in this situation."

"Yeah, but the other candidate isn't that good either. ***********, Fifty-nine, works as a gardener. Asks that "he is given the chance to change the world for the better. Please keep the traveling to a minimum, I have motion sickness."

"So you put him on the list because the main conflict is in the capital of a small kingdom? You actually put some good thought into it," Victoria remarked. "I'm actually surprised."

"Hey, I'm not that incompetent! There was just the one time where-"

"Calm down, she was only joking," Marsh shook his head. "But still, I think we should go with the old man for this one." 

"You sure? Someone younger is more suited to fighting." Thinking deeply, Victoria turned to Marsh. "Hey, does it get any more specific than 'future leaders of a rebellion'?"

"No, not really... It's a pretty vague request."

Victoria clapped her hands. "Send them both! If they didn't specifically ask for one person, it's perfectly fine if they get more! We can have the teenager for brawn, and the older gentleman for brains."

"You're really going to call a seventeen-year-old the brawns?" Dylan looked skeptic. "Other than that, I can't argue that it sounds like a solid plan."

"Well, is it settled then?" Marsh asked. "I'll send in the completed form if nobody has any objections."

"None here."

"It sounds like as good of a plan as we can get."

"Okay, I'll get to work on that right away."


In another world, a teen-aged boy and an elderly man sat together at a small table in a run-down tavern.

"So, nice to meet you," the teen said. "I guess we'll be working together from now on?"

"Seems about right. Now, what do you say we go about trying to organize ourselves into groups with specific tasks?"

"Oh, like have a group of people who can do archery, and maybe one to be the messengers?"

"Exactly!" The old man grinned. "And who better to train the messengers than you?"

"Me? Why?"

"You have experience with both short and long distance running, and you've run in a bunch of relays, right?"

"Yeah... Oh! I could teach people how to run a relay. We could send messages around the town and have the runners switch out so they don't get caught!"

The reincarnated teammates excitedly discussed further plans, late into the night. 

 

About four months later, they successfully took over, tired from the hard journey but elated at their victory. Reports claimed that the kingdom had started anew, with a quality of life better than before. There was still a long way to go for the old man and his newly adopted grandson, but they had completed their first mission.

0