Chapter 4: Plunge Into the Void’s Depths
109 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   I want to scream. No, I want to yell on top of my lungs! WHAT IS THIS?! HELLP!

   I realized that I’m on a platform way up in the sky, and standing on what looks like a humongous tree branch.

This is a Flashback sequence.

   I remember when I was little, around 10 years old. I saw a cat got stuck on a tree branch, afraid and trembling. There was only me near that place, and I decided to try and save the cat. I climbed the tree to reach the cat. But, when I reached the tree branch, the cat jumped far to a storage building roof.

   When I looked down, I realized that the tree is so tall that I was so afraid to even try and climb down. I developed a fear of heights in that one situation. I waited, and waited, waiting for a person that in some chance might pass by. But alas, rarely any person ever use this road, I thought that there is probably no one there that’ll save me.

   Seconds, minutes, hours went by, and I was still stuck on the tree branch. Alone.

“Sniff… sniff…” I sobbed.

“Diaaan… Diaaan!”

   I heard a voice calling out my name, faintly but gradually gets louder.

“Sniff… Ika..?”

   There, I saw Mika, calling out my name.

“DIAAAN!” Mika yells, looking left and right.

“Ika!”

   Mika turned her head towards my voice.

“Dian? DIAN!”

   Mika immediately ran towards me.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?!”

“I… I tried to save a cat that got stuck… but, it ran away…”

   I’m a coward. I can’t even climb down this tree. I got stuck here instead and bawled my eyes out. What do I expect when I tried to save the cat..? Fortune? Friend? Valuable objects? It is just hopeful thinking. Was there any meaning even if I saved the cat?

   When I was filled with guilt and disappointment in myself, Mika went and quickly grabbed a ladder that was luckily placed across the road.

   Mika then went back and placed the ladder, nearly latched onto the tree branch.

   I then climbed down the tall tree using the ladder that Mika placed, safely landed on the ground.

“I’m an idiot huh, Mika? Trying to save a cat… but got stuck instead… what was I thinking…”

   What do I even deserve to get saved by her? I’m useless, pathetic.

SLAP

   Mika slapped me, the pain that I received was devastating.

   I paused for a second, holding my right cheek, not knowing what to think after the amazing slap Mika just unleashed.

“… Ik-“

“DIAN! Don’t you ever say that!” Mika cries out to me, with a sad expression and teary eyes.

   She then hugged me tightly.

“Even if you’re clumsy, you have the intent of kindness! That is what I like about you… I’m afraid of losing you…” Mika says with tears running on her face.

“…”

   I slowly hugged Mika.

   That time, it was one of the dramatic moments that I’ve ever experienced my entire life. I only heard Mika’s faint cry, winds blowing around us, and the sight of sunset with orange skies.

“I’m sorry, Mika… let’s go home..”

   Mika still holds onto me and cried herself on my shoulders, afraid of letting go.

“Sniff…”

   She then nods her head and slowly let go of me.

   I swept the tears that were on Mika’s face.

“…”

   Mika was a little bit surprised.

“There there. No need to cry, you’d look better and braver with a smile on your face.” I said as I hold onto her hand.

“… not fair…” Mika said while pouting.

   We then went back home together. Mika held my hand while we’re on the way home. I looked over my shoulders, and I saw Mika. Putting a sincere and the most beautiful smile I’ve never seen from her.

...

“Di…”

“Dia…”

“DIAN!” shouted the voice behind me.

“!!!”

   I realized that I was still standing on the gigantic tree branch.

“AAAAAH!” I screamed and panic hopped back into the house.

“Eeek!” Clara cried in surprise.

BAM!

He hit his head then crashed onto Clara here.

   Owowowow… was that… Clara..? is she the one that shouted my name?

   I found myself lying on the floor face down.

   I think I hit my head twice there… my head and forehead are throbbing in pain.

“Dian…” whispered someone right next to my right ear.

“Huh?!”

   I pushed the floor with both of my hands and I saw Clara, with a brimming red face, and messed up hair, right in front of my very own eyes as she meekly turned away her eyesight, avoid looking at me.

   I… I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen her face gets so red. She looks… cute and dazzling... w- wait, no!

“S-sorry…”

   My face is feeling hotter, I'm having weird thoughts as well... this is bad.

“… It’s fine…” Clara said timidly while staring at my eyes.

“Haa…”

   Clara’s warm and gentle breath tickled my neck.

“…”

   What am I doing?! I should’ve moved immediately from this locking position! But… my hands refuse to do so.

   Seconds have passed, and we’re still staring at each other in silence. Neither of us even move an inch.

“Dian…” Clara whispered with half-closed eyes.

“Clara…”

   My heart beats faster and faster, so does Clara’s.

   Why are we still looking at each other like this..? we really shouldn’t, but… I want to…

   I slowly get closer to Clara’s face. Clara shuts both of her eyes and awkwardly puckered her lips.

   I…

   I was getting ready to meet my lips with Clara’s lips, like a butterfly that long awaits sweet and delicious nectar from a flower.

THUMP

   I heard a loud thumping sound coming from the stairs. There is a wooden ball rolling on the floor to us. I looked behind me and I saw Ellie, standing there, seeing both Clara and me in an easy to misunderstand position. She wears a face full of disbelief and fright, both hands covering her mouth.

“E- Ellie! This is a misunderstanding!“

“…” Ellie stayed silent.

   Before I could explain the situation, Ellie’s eyes burst into tears and she then sprinted upstairs.

“…”

“…”

   The atmosphere became silent. I and Clara looked at each other and then got up from the floor.

“I… I’ll explain it to Ellie…” I said as I look at Clara.

“… okay…” Clara said slowly, feeling a little bit guilty.

   I then went upstairs and walked to the front of Ellie’s room.

   I tried to reach the doorknob, but I paused for a moment.

   I… what do I even say to her..? she just saw…

“Sniff… sniff…”

   A faint cry was heard from inside the room.

“!!!”

   I was overwhelmed with guilt and accidentally took a step back and struck a wooden table, making a fair amount of noise.

“… Brother..?”

“Ellie…”

   I paused for a second.

“I… want to explain something… can you open the door?”

   What do I even explain to her? I’m just a stranger that got “stranded” without an explanation at all… will she even trust me..?

“Sniff… okay…” Ellie said slowly and still crying.

Klick

   The door opened, and I saw Ellie, looking rather sad. Her eyes look a bit red and filled with tears. She looks at me with her suffering face.

   Ellie gets closer to me.

“… it was an accident… I accidentally fell over Clar-“

“Why?” Ellie said slowly.

   Ellie then unexpectedly hugged me. She buried her face to my chest.

“Ellie?!”

“Why do you choose her?!” Ellie yelled, her face still buried to my chest.

“!!!...”

   I was shooked, unable to say anything.

   Ellie then lifts her head and looks at me with a pained expression.

“Even though I love you… from the moment we met… you always make my heartthrob…” Ellie says with a scorching-red face.

   … Ellie has… feelings for me..? I’ve always thought of her as a little sister, but in her eyes… she sees me as a person she loves..? I can’t…

“I…”

   I paused for a long time, not knowing what to say after hearing such a statement from her, in utter shock.

   This is not right…

   I then put my hands on her shoulders.

“Hmm..? Brother..?” Ellie said with a curious look.

“I’m sorry Ellie… I can’t accept your feelings… you’re too young for this...”

“!!!” Ellie was surprised.

   She is still too young… it is wrong to-

“Am I not as good as sister Clara?! Why Brother?!” Ellie yells angrily with a pained expression.

   Ellie then pounds me a couple of times, throwing a tantrum. I can only stand there, letting her anger and disappointment unleashed onto me.

“Ellie…”

   I then push Ellie away from me without saying a word. I then ran away towards my room, afraid of looking back.

“Brother!”

   I continued to run towards my room and locked the door from the inside.

Click

   I then leaned my back to the door, then I slowly slid down and sat on the floor.

 Bang Bang Bang

“Brother! Open the door!” Ellie yelled from the other side of the door while continuously banging the door.

   Why did this happen..?

   I put my hands to my face.

   Everything was fine…

   I try so hard to hold back the tears that gathered in my eyes.

   I’m hopeless… Everything I do… I crumble all of…

   Without realizing, Dian’s chest started to glow in a light purple color.

   Visions… starting to… fade…

 

And I can only see darkness yet again.

 

DING!

 

2