Chapter 4: Conflicts
107 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zoey sat up and went to the bathroom. She looked at herself in the mirror thinking on what her aunt just told her.

This isn’t possible, I couldn’t be a girl I mean look at me I’m a boy always was right? That time as a girl was just experimenting right, my dad helped me be happy as a guy, right? Yeah of course I mean look at me I'm a guy and I like it so what if I play a girl in the game that means nothing and I am James, Zoey is pixels.

James finished up in the bathroom and went to bed so he’d be ready for the workouts his dad puts him through. James went to bed and found himself in a child form standing between a woman who looked like Zoey and his dad.

“Come here boy! You know what you are and the consequences of being anything else.” his dad said coldly

“Hey sweetie, why not come with me and you can be happy for real.” the women said crouching and extending a welcoming hand.

“Nonsense he is happy as a boy and doesn’t need anything else! Ain’t that right boy” his dad said commandingly.

James looks back and forth between the two adults each time noticing the difference in the looks on their faces. His father glaring at him and the women lovingly looking like him, James took one step towards the women before his father spoke up 

“Think carefully about what you do and be prepared to accept the consequences!” 

James retreated to his father's side 

“That's my boy, as for you,” his father said glaring at the women “You don’t belong here”

“I’ll be waiting here for whatever you decide” the women said sweetly.

James woke up again and go sweats on and headed downstairs where his dad was cooking eggs

“Hey champ, how’d you sleep?” his dad asked.

“Pretty good, what about you?” James replied 

“Great, remember today is cardio and weight training.” his dad replied

“Yes sir,” James said.

“I’m going to finish cooking breakfast and after you eat I want you to start right away.” his dad said as he cracked an egg on a frying pan.

Once breakfast was cooked and eaten James grabbed his phone and put his headphones in beginning his usual 3-mile run. As he ran thoughts of everything that happed the past few days floated to the front of his mind but he quickly dismissed them as being impossible. Halfway through his run he got a phone call from his aunt. 

“Hey kiddo how are you doing?” Aunt Jessie asked.

“Alright just doing a workout” James replied 

“That's fun, your friend came looking for you after you logged out I told her you had to go but she said that she’d wait in town for you.” Aunt Jessie said.

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking I am gonna start over with a male character,” James replied.

“That's not really going to help with feelings kiddo” Aunt Jessie said

“That character is the cause of the feelings so I get rid of it then feelings go away too,” James explained 

“Zoey that's not gonna work, you can’t get rid of memories. It’s okay to be a girl” Aunt Jessie said lovingly.

“I’M NOT A Girl!” James said angrily

“Zo-” Aunt Jessie said before being interrupted.

“Don’t call me that! My name is James!” James replied.

“Sorry kiddo, just know people love you no matter what you decide or who you decide to be.” Aunt Jessie said

“I know thank you, I gotta finish my workout bye,” James said ending the call.

James finished his workout and got back to the house and immediately started his weight training, once he finishes he goes up to take a shower and as he showers, he spaces out and  a familiar women's voice speaks in his head

“She's right you know, making a new character isn’t going to stop the feelings,” she said 

“What do you know you’re in my head.” James thought to himself

“Isn’t that more of a reason to believe it? I am only saying what you are feeling.” the voice said.

“No, you are saying what I fear,” James replied 

“Is it your fear or your desire and the fear of the reaction?” the voice said 

James shook himself out for his daze and got out of the shower and dried off. He walked back to his room and dressed in shorts and a tank to as pajamas he looked at his VR visor and decided to play for a bit before he goes to bed. James loaded up the menu and as his finger went to click the create new character button but he was stopped by something, he couldn’t bring himself to do it so he just logged into Zoey and found himself in a room which he assumed was a private inn room. 

Zoey left the room and the inn before being stopped by Aunt Jessie.

“Hey kiddo I see that you are still playing as Zoey,” she said with a smile.

“It's just easier to play an already made character,” Zoey said defensively.

“Relax I’m just kidding,” Aunt Jessie said.

“Hey you’re back!” Zoey heard from behind her. Turning around she saw it was Avalia 

“Hey, Avalia, sorry I can’t stay long I just logged in to friend you because I don’t wanna lose contact with someone like you,” Zoey said smiling.

“Aww I was hoping to get some time to hang out.” Avalia cried.

“I’m sorry I have school tomorrow and need a full night's sleep,” Zoey said 

“Oh I forgot that school is tomorrow” Avalia said with a laugh.

“Yeah I know it's a drag but there's always next weekend,” Zoey said reassuringly.

“You won’t be on during the week?” Avalia asked

“No I have extracurricular activities and won’t have time, sorry” Zoey said.

“It'’s oaky don’t worry I’ll wait for you so we don’t get separated,” Avalia said happily. 

“Don’t waste your time waiting for me,” Zoey said protesting

“It’s fine, honestly. You make the game fun.” Avalia said before blushing.

“I gotta talk her Zoey alone again, sorry Avalia” Aunt Jessie said stepping in.

“Oh okay. I’ll just log out, see yo.
u later Zoey” Avalia said smiling before logging out.

“Zoey you have to be honest with her” Aunt Jessie spoke up.

“What are you talking about?” Zoey shot back

“You have to tell her you really are a male or female.” Aunt Jessie said.

“But you said no matter what people still love me,” Zoey replied feeling hurt

“They do but she likes you, a lot.” Aunt Jessie said “And it’s not right because she thinks you are a girl when you are not really a girl or at least identify as one.” 

“But…” Zoey began before trailing off

“Just think about it okay?” Aunt Jessie said before wrapping Zoey into a hug causing her to feel a warmth that felt so loving and caring he would have thought she was his actual parent.
“Thank you, Aunt Jessie, for everything, but I think my place is as a guy,” Zoey replied

“Kiddo, you know I love you and will be here for you in any way you need but to me it sounds like you are confused and I have a friend who can help you. But you have to be open to the idea and have to be willing to listen to what they tell you, just remember whatever you decide only you can make the right choice.” Aunt Jessie said lovingly.

Zoey thought about this for a moment before making a decision.

“That actually sounds helpful, I’d like that alot.” Zoey replied.

“Okay kiddo, I’ll talk to her although she is pretty busy so you’ll have time.” Aunt Jessie said.

“Okay thanks a ton, I’d love to talk more but I have school tomorrow byee” Zoey said before logging out and going to bed.

James found himslef in a girls room and saw Zoey sitting in a chair infront of her clearly waiting for him

“Hello James, we need to chat,” Zoey said

“No we don’t you are just in my head, something that is made up of my fears” 

“James, I am you a part of you that was locked away a long time ago because you couldn't deal with what happened but now you have to, please don’t lock me away again” Zoey pleaded 

“Look you aren’t a part of me and never will be,” James retorted.

“I wouldn’t be here if you didn’t consider this a tiny bit.” Zoey replied.

“Yes you would if you are what I fear the most!” shot back James.

“Just please think about how it felt being in the game, that's all I have to say,” Zoey said before fading away leaving James alone a bright light blinded him and he found himself as Zoey but standing in a living room and her mom asking to get a picture, she looks down and sees herself in a beautiful lilac prom dress and blushes as the picture is taken. Zoey walks out the door see’s Avalia standing there in a similar color dress

“You look beautiful as always.” Avalia said interlocking their arms together and began walking to the limo but as they went to enter the limo James is awakened by his alarm signaling that it is time for school. 

James got out of bed and got dressed in a pair of jeans and a hoodie, he looked at his reflection in the mirror and a slight frown formed on his face but he quickly dismisse it as nothing. James ran downstairs and out the door to catch the bus for school, As he waited for the bus two more people showed up the team's captain Joe and Rob the team's defensive linemen 

“Hey twinkle toes, how was your birthday weekend?” Rob asked causing James to glare at him

“You know I hate that name right?” James said annoyed 

“Well if you played something other than running back maybe you wouldn’t be called twinckle toes.” Joe replied jokingly.

“Anyway,” James said changing the subject “My aunt bought me a VR rig and War of the Realms” 

“That's awesome dude! What's your name?” 

“I’m not sure I’ll have to get back to you on that” James replied.

“No rush, by the way did you hear about that demon cat girl and the amazon who fought that boss out in the forsaken lands?” Rob replied.
“No I didn’t, what about her?” James asked

“She’s super cute, I wouldn’t mind taking her out for dinner” Rob said causing James to blush.

“Good luck with that, a girl like that wouldn’t date you,” Joe replied. Laughing at his friend.

James stood on the sidewalk as his teammates joked and laughed, the bus came and he took his usual seat and stared out the window as the bus drove to school. As James walked through the halls in a daze he was snapped out of it by the sound of a teammate harassing someone

“Hey freak, were you looking at my girlfriend” a voice James reconized as Jeff

“Come on Jeff, I’m just trying to live and go to the bathroom,” Jessica said as she was blocked from entering the bathroom by Jeff.

“Why so you can spy on the real girls?” Jeff said with venom.
“Jeff leaves her alone, I don’t agree with it but she’s a girl” James said.

“Aww is he your boyfriend?” Jeff said to James 

“She isn’t, just fuck off,” James replied glaring at Jeff as the bathroom door opened and Jeffs's girlfriend walked out and interlocked arms with him before walking away.

“Hey Jess, I’m sorry about that,” James said.

“Thanks, James, it means a lot but why now? You never stood up before” Jessica replied.

“I just got tired of his shit, and-actually nevermind” James replied

“Well, regardless thanks it means a lot” Jessica replied before going into the bathroom. 

For James, the school day went pretty much the same as any other day and by the time he got home from practice it was 630 and he showered and ate he looked over at his visor and thought about getting Zoey time in but he pushed those thoughts away and dismissed them as being meaningless and realized he didn’t have time so he just went to sleep.

3