Chapter 21: Worthless Effort
1.2k 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stone Arsenal's Back Entrance, Meteo City

I knock thrice upon the back door to Stone Arsenal, since there's a rather large encampment of players clogging the street in front. If I were to show my face out front, I fear I might be swarmed.

The door opens by a crack, Henna's eye peeks through before opening fully and pulling me roughly in, locking the door again behind me.

"Took you long enough to arrive, folks out front are wont to riot at the rate this is going," Henna complains through gritted teeth, "We need to get this gear sold."

"It rather surpassed my already optimistic expectations, I'll admit," I say, aware of how much that might be an understatement. There's literally hundreds of them squashed together out there so tightly that the City Guard have no idea what to do with it, "Are you ready to open for business?"

Henna nods, clearly stressed, "I can't get to my forge like this."

"Let them in when you're ready, then. I'll get the spare shortsword on display first for 50 Stone Silvers. Then we'll sell the pairs off for 80 Stone Silvers, increasing to 90."

Henna looks like she wants to retort, but swallows her objection and waves me past.

Picking up the spare shortsword and placing ten sword & shield pairs into my inventory, I return back downstairs and set the sword on display, giving a thumbs up to Henna. She takes a deep breath, then unlocks the front door, a few people tumbling in as it opens, flattened by more people falling in atop them.

Henna returns swiftly behind the counter, and I address the gathered players with a clear shout, "Stone Arsenal is open for business while today's stock lasts! Please be aware the unruly customers will not be served, and will be made to leave! First come, first served!"

The fallen players hastily pick themselves off the ground and rush the display.

"What?! The boots aren't here!"

"I thought they were selling Bronze-tier armour?"

"50 Stone Silver? Why don't you auction off my Grandma!"

"A Bronze-Tier weapon today? Fantastic! Leader Hammond will be pleased."

While the first wave of players fawn over the display, I step to the doorway, "Please, move away from the door and form an orderly line to my left! Do not obstruct people from leaving the store, or occupy the forge area! You have 2 minutes to comply, or the store will close!"

My instructions rouse the ire of the gathered crowd, and they quickly turn rowdy.

"I repeat, failure to behave with civility will mean that Stone Arsenal will not remain open for business! This is not an idle threat!"

Begrudgingly, the mass of players pushes away from the door, opening a throughway back into the market, but my instructions to form a line would appear to be optimistic, as little attempt is made to do so.

Getting a little annoyed, I raise my voice to the limit, stomping for effect, "LINE. NOW."

Intimidated, my order has the desired effect and the crowd starts shuffling into order just as one of the initial customers completes his purchase of the first item of the day.

On cue, I place the first sword and shield pair on display, and the players in the store go deathly quiet. One person wearing a Copper-Tier Leather Jacket from Farmer's Folly quietly takes the initiative while the others are stunned and shuffles over to Henna, buying them immediately.

Once again, barely having moved, I place another pair on display.

"If you wish to gawk, I will ask you to leave. Paying customers only!" I inform them, alongside a cold glare.


 

"That's all for today, folks! I would like to ask you all to disperse so that we can work on replenishing our stock in peace! There will be approximately three more Real days before this event concludes with a special finale!"

Ignoring the boos, threats and complaining from the unlucky, I close then lock the door to the shop, feeling quite pleased with today's profits and optimistic for the next few days. When I turn to face Henna, however, I find that she doesn't share in the feeling of triumph, and if anything, she appears rather upset.

She stares back, daring me to repeat yesterday's blundering attempt at helping her.

I sigh, "I can't help but feel a little unappreciated if you glare at me like that."

Henna frowns, breaking eye contact and storming upstairs.

My first instinct is to follow, obviously, but something tells me that I really shouldn't bother her any further. If I only knew what it was that upset her to begin with, because in all honestly, I'm drawing a blank.

Situations like this really do blur the line between the 'real' and the 'virtual', huh?

Nonetheless, while I do wish to give her some space, if she's determined to stay up there for too long, I'll have to risk her wrath if I'm to get the materials necessary to make the items for tomorrow's event. As much as I wish to be respectful and considerate, I literally cannot afford to lose momentum because something is making my partner in this upset.

So, after allowing some time to pass with no movement discernible from upstairs, I rub my stressed face and march up the wooden staircase with shaky resolve.

Sat on one of the stools is Henna, staring at the pile of scrapped projects and stiff with contained tension of unknown origin. Despite no doubt being aware of my presence, she does not acknowledge my ascent. Rather than say something that might upset her further, I try to exercise what's left of my patience to stay silent until she does.

Minutes go by before she unclenches her fist and lets her shoulders sag.

"You need materials."

Rather than a question, a statement of fact.

"Yes."

She nods, "Thought as much."

"Stone Silver for your thoughts?"

Her head snaps to face me, "...That isn't funny."

I feel a little of my frustration bubble up, "Henna, I'm not joking around. We just sold off more than a Stone Gold in equipment, and somehow this is upsetting to you. I realise we haven't known each other long, but I can't ignore what's plain to see."

Her cheek twitches, "Once again, you presume much."

"Why is it so difficult for you to accept my offer of help as being sincere?" I huff, folding my arms.

She grits her teeth, hard, "That is precisely the problem!"

Henna closes her eyes, inhales and glares furiously at me, "Your kindness is a burden I do not wish to possess. That you would insist on taking upon yourself the responsibility of finding the one responsible for my father's disappearance is reminder enough of my failure as his daughter - my inability to live up to his ideals and my cowardice. But further still, you have proven that the years I have spent trying to make something of his legacy were a worthless effort. That Stone Arsenal sees this attention is not through any action of my own. It is by your effort alone."

She exhales, "In conviction and business, your 'kindness' for a veritable stranger lays bare my inadequacy. And I cannot...bear it."

Confronted by the unintended consequences of my desire to help, I remain quiet as I contemplate the nature of my fault. Nevertheless, there is still something that needs to be said before anything else, "I see. My truest apologies, I didn't realise that my actions would cause you strife. I beg your forgiveness for my ignorance."

I bow deeply in the same manner as The Empire of Stone's courtiers. Perhaps a little over the top, I admit, but it feels like the right thing to do.

"Spare me," Henna growls.

Righting my posture I feel the need to make something clear, "I realise that saying this may seem somewhat tone-deaf but: I still want to continue working with you and on your behalf. That does not mean I wish to take away your agency or make a mockery of you, however. Rather, you can consider this my self-satisfaction instead of kindness."

Taking a step forward, I offer my hand.

"As Beloved Blade of Jannis, Lady of Steel's Ambition, I offer you my assistance in finding your path forward. Please allow me to impose upon you in turn."

It's hard to say what is going through the depressed smith's head at this moment. Her gaze is enigmatic and her aura stilled as she stands, sparing a glance for the second stool before approaching me.

"I don't believe you ever told me your name," she remarks blandly.

I laugh heartily, "I suppose not. Where are my manners? Silver Nosster, aspiring armoursmith and adventurer in service to Lady Jannis, a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

She hesitates for a moment before taking my hand in a firm shake, "Nice to meet you, Silver. I look forward to working with you in the future."

 

Quest Complete!
Stone Arsenal Revitilisation

Hidden: Make peace with Henna 1/1

Hidden: Restore Henna's Confidence 1/1

Rewards

Title: Henna's Confidante

Permanent Willpower +5

 

Unique Gold-Tier Title Unlocked

"Henna's Confidante"

Effects: This Title does not need to be equipped. Henna trusts you, and you alone, implicitly.

 

Letting go, I gesture towards her, "What do you say we ready tomorrow's stock, then visit The Golem?"

Henna nods, "Very well. What are you planning next?"

I smile, "In the interest of avoiding a repeat of this unpleasantness, I'd like to hear your opinion first. What do you think we should do?"

Henna thinks to herself for a few seconds, "You already sold them boots, a weapon and a shield. Why not gloves to protect their hands, to accompany their new weaponry?"

I nod, "I was of the same mind. If you are willing to assist in their creation, I'd like to sell a minimum of forty pairs of gloves at a flat 25 Stone Silvers this time. What say you?"

She rubs her chin, "Why a flat amount this time?"

"So far, we have taken quite a large amount of money from those most desperate, and surely their coffers are beginning to run dry. They have all been thoroughly conditioned to believe in the value we set, and to see a suddenly 'cheaper' product available for a limited time will encourage and maintain their enthusiasm, particularly amongst those yet unfed. Consider it a breather before we whip the horse to gallop again."

"A crude example, but I see the wisdom. Then, for the following days you mean to sell the chausses or hauberk"

"Indeed. Followed by whatever is most popular, and on the final day as a special service, a few full sets when the excitement is starting to wane. After a few days, you can set whatever price you deem as reasonable in the current market for any Beginner's Bronze equipment you sell. Those who buy it now, do so at a premium in exchange for being the first to acquire it."

Henna folds her arms, "I see. Let us begin."


 

Setting the last of our accumulated stock inside the storeroom and upstairs, I clap my hands together, "That ought to take care of that."

Now past sundown, thanks to Henna's full cooperation, we were able to create 44 pairs of Beginner's Bronze Gloves before we lost the benefit of daylight and Henna decided she'd had enough. Though I cannot say that she has entirely gotten over her depressive mood, it is at least a marked improvement and a step in the right direction - regardless of the Quest's claim that she has regained her confidence.

I must admit, furthermore, that my behaviour on this occasion requires further reflection to understand and rectify. Rome was not built in a day, and this is one of many things I find myself adding to an ever-growing list of things I need to accomplish in and for the sake of my future.

I perhaps feel like I've also taken a step toward understanding Sherry's inexplicable distaste toward me. Perhaps. Old as I may be at heart, I still have a lot of room to grow, if I'm to achieve my goal and hold true to my personal philosophy of constant self-improvement - as inherited from Jannis' training.

I am not treading on the start of an old path, but taking the same one I was always on to new and strange places.

I chuckle quietly, "I can't help but anticipate in what ways I will change and grow."

Meeting Henna outside, she locks the door and follows close behind as I walk toward The Golem.

Curious, I slow down to walk beside her, "Do they serve food at all? I never thought to check."

The smith nods, "Just a simple Jumble Onion Soup though. Lifk don't know how to make anything else."

Shrugging, I scratch my itchy left ear, "Simple is fine as long as it fills the stomach. I've not eaten at all today and I find myself famished."

Rounding the corner to the back of Stone Arsenal, I halt, holding an arm out in front of Henna, causing her to bump into it and give me an indignant glare. Wordlessly, I retrieve my Beginner's Lumber Axe and pass it to her.

"Why are you giving this to me?" She looks at the axe confused as I draw my zweihander.

"That side alley," I flick my head toward a turn-off point into a cramped alleyway "Caught sight of a rather murderous glance from a thug. Stay behind me, look for an opportunity to strike if you've the stomach for it."

Perhaps sensing that they had lost the element of surprise, a group of four, thinning, wild-eyed men rush out, waving table legs and knives.

This took longer than I expected to write, but I'm thus far sticking to my apparent pace of two chapters a day. Character development, yo.

28