Chapter 40: Inspiration
981 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Completing the armour sets takes under an hour, and completely exhausts all the Terrorstone we collected save for a few errant chunks that are almost not worth the inventory slot they occupy. I have to say that, all in all it was completely worth it, as not only are me and Windy properly geared up for our levels, working with the Schematics brought me to 5-Star Novice, the last stop before Basic-Tier Blacksmith.

Promoting within a Grade is usually a case of the system deeming you 'skilled' enough to Promote to the next Star - which is laughable in the current crafting experience - but Promoting to a higher grade always comes with some sort of attached challenge, which for Basic means successfully crafting 25 different items for the first time, and so far that number is sitting at 22, three items short. Easy enough, as there's still a few Beginner's Bronze weapons that I haven't touched yet, as well as a few material refinement Schematics like Iron Ingots.

I have kept Windy and Jade waiting long enough though, so I'll do that tomorrow. I'm not planning to do any more smithing today, so there's no point in bothering.

First things first, I hand over the remainder of the Feardrinker Set to Windy, who happily equips all of it in place of her Beginner's Bronze.

The set is heavily inspired by a black-plumed bird, with a slightly elongated and pointer beak to it's market, and blackened feathers adorning it. The breastplate is similarly dark, with a slightly more ordered pattern of magically glowing cracks and a dark blue capelet, affixed to the underside of her left shoulderpad. The chain chausses and plate-reinforced leather boots lack any decoration, but together with the slim gauntlets, creates a very imposing figure. The Gladius and Round Shield follow much the same motif.

"Very intimidating," I clap, slightly disappointed that I lack the skill and until RotA, ability to properly modify the set to better suit her. As far as the game is concerned at the moment, one-size-fits-all.

"I definitely feel it," She twists this way and that, trying to get a better picture of how she looks, "I might actually wear this helmet. The facemask was too restrictive in what I could see. It's not perfect, mind you but better."

Stood next to Jade, the two of them make for a sinister pairing straight out of a comic book.

"You look like a bird," Jade observes glibly.

"Do I?" Windy questions, "I suppose I can see what you mean. Very raven-y aesthetic."

Magpie, actually.

"You gonna just stand there or are you gonna put yours on now?" Jade stares at me with anticipation.

"Yes, one moment," Scanning quickly through my inventory, the gear pieces replace my prior armour. It feels a little strange not to be wearing The Failed Mage's Monocle, but I'll swap that in and out as needed. I do already feel the loss of the 15 Perception, however.

The Terrorsteel Set, in comparison to it's Tank-focused sister, is nowhere near as over the top, more in line with traditional platemail, save for some minor embellishments such as the signature magical cracks and a chunk of Terrorstone shaped into a shoulderguard in place of a metal shoulderpad on my left side. Finally, like the Feardrinker Set, it also includes an Armet-styled full helmet, but no ornamentation.

Putting the two sets side-by-side the Terrorsteel Set looks like the designer finished the Feardrinker Set and was too tired to put any real effort in, which contrasts with the rather exaggerated look of the associated weaponry like the Horrorblade.

At the very least, better gear is better gear and it does stand out in a crowd with current standards being what they are. The upper-bracket of players in the local area have only just started going through Farmer's Folly a few days ago after all, and while some of these people may be pushing the same level as me or a little higher through sheer stubbornness, none of them are close to our overall progression through the intended curve for Meteo City.

The spectators only get noisier, as if to prove my point.

"Hm. Yours is...pretty fucking boring?" Jade critiques, "The sword is badass though."

I can feel Henna's stare boring into me when I'm about to argue back, stilling my words. Turning to her, she has that same strange look as when she asked me about how it felt to wear something I made.

"If you want your own, why not make it?" I question her.

Surprisingly, I see a Quest notification informing me that she's gained an additional point of inspiration. The smith closes her eyes and nods, "Perhaps I will, one day."

Within the privacy of the helmet, I frown deeply. I need to be very careful about what I say and do around Henna for a while. While the Quest is to inspire her, I don't feel entirely comfortable manipulating her future. Which I realise is perhaps a little hypocritical considering my plans to recruit her as a Follower.

I suppose another way of looking at it is that the game is giving me the opportunity to shape what kind of Follower she'll be at the end. However, I'd really rather she came to her own conclusions without excessive meddling on my part, or it'll feel like a betrayal of her trust and a failure on my part to kick that flaw of mine down a few pegs.

Feeling the need to backpedal a bit, I speak up, "Just don't do it for the sake of it, or just because I suggested it. If you're just going to blindly follow, you'll lose sight of your individuality and creativity. If you ask me, that's a rather hollow existence."

Thoughtful, Henna nods, "Every tool has a purpose. But every tool needs a will behind it to fulfil that purpose."

Another tick of inspiration. The counter is giving me anxiety.

"Poetic," Windy applauds, "Take it from me, it sucks not having something to work toward."

Her admission draws a sad look from Jade, "Win..."

"I know. Sorry," Windy coughs, embarrassed, "What's next, boss?"

"He's taking me to the fucking Scout Mentor," Jade cuts in before I can say essentially the same thing.

"That," I swap my helmet for the Monocle, "I also need to get her a new bow, but my Proficiency in Carpentry is a little too low at the moment, so if you don't mind, Windy, could you check the market and with any Carpenters at Justin's Juryriggers for a Blue Birch Shortbow? Just get the price off them and I'll give you the money. Don't accept more than a Stone Gold at most."

Windy gives a thumbs-up, "Can do, boss."

I glance at Jade, "Unless you want to make it yourself?"

Jade rubs the back of her neck inside her Trophytaker's Hood, "If I reeeally gotta. Are there no alternatives?"

"There is a bow at the next dungeon we're going to be checking out," I admit a little quietly, "But I'm not taking a damage dealer with a Level 1 weapon in there. The Blue Birch Shortbow may only be a Level 5 weapon, but it's still the best of it's type available in the region. Windy could also try asking the proprietor of Justin's Juryriggers, Austal, if he'd make one on commission, but that'll likely be pricier as he mainly makes cheap furniture and containers in bulk."

"Might as well ask the man," Henna suggests, apparently listening in on our conversation, "He's probably bored of tables."

"Alright, I'll bring it up with him when I stop by," Windy folds her arms, "When are we going to this new place?"

I rub my head, "Soon. We need to get ourselves a fifth party member first. Which may also necessitate us getting them to our progression level, gear-wise, annoyingly."

"Guessing we can't just pick up some rando off the street like you did with Chickenfeet?" Jade hedges.

"Angelus," I correct her in his stead, "And that depends, really. Our meeting him was serendipitous, but not something we can rely on happening again. We really need a high damage Hedge Mage next or an exceptional Trapper if we want to do it the safer, less efficient way."

"We're still kinda famous, I doubt it'll be that hard - it's what we were gonna do when we bumped into him," Windy points out.

"Mm. We'll give it a go," I agree, "In any case, I declare this tangent over. Daylight's burning."


 

Sherry

Finally!

I swear he's getting wordier and wordier as time goes on. Which is a change from him barely saying a goddamned thing, but holy shit does he drone on when he gets going.

Keep it together, girl. You promised to Win you'd play nice. As if I wasn't already by tolerating his company.

This whole situation is pretty surreal, honestly. Like, how the hell did I end up in a standoff with a fucking VR mafia? I mean, it's pretty fucking cool watching these jackasses get their shit pushed in, but I don't really see how we get out of this mess, short of hogtying Silver and leaving him on their doorstep with an apology note.

Which might just save my and Win's ass - even Chickenfeet's. And if I did it, she'd never forgive me for it.

So, yeah. Tour Guide's yapping his heart out more, which is at least some sort of improvement over the brick wall from last week, but he's keeping his like...second mouth? Real zipped up on all the plans he's cooked up in his head, so I don't know about the other two, but I'm really not holding out much hope of getting through this when our 'leader' is withholding so much info on the actual, immediate problems.

'Get stronger' isn't a good enough answer when there's a small army of quasi-immortal assholes thirsting for our blood in the short-term. And I just know that he's going to keep escalating the problem. Like it would kill him to not piss off every lowlife in the city.

I take a long, deep breath. Calm down, girl. Play nice. For her.

Tour Guide looks my way, "Is something the matter?"

I stare back, "You got an actual solution for the whole lynch mob dilemma beyond 'hurr durr Guild' yet?"

He rolls his hand in a so-so motion, "The start of one. We'll have to wait a while before I can put anything in motion, however."

I glare, "That's not a real answer."

Tour Guide sighs, "No point in talking about it before it's time."

"Says you," I mutter, frustrated beyond belief. Does he really think that being all mysterious and shit is somehow inspiring? He's graduated from a wall into a series of bear traps that give you non-answers every time you step up to ask a question that actually matters.

And Win eats this shit up, because...

Nice. Play niiiice with the hypocrite.

"We're here," Tour Guide stops us in front of a divey looking bar in the south-east part of the city. What'd he call it? Clout District? No, Clont District.

"Is this one of those cliche bad guy bars?" I guess.

"More or less. Juleus is...not the most pleasant person in the world," He pauses, the sound of a brawl inside echoes in the street "Neither are the other patrons, when it comes down to it. So, I don't know how familiar you are...or aren't...with these types of places, but keep quiet, stay out of their way and don't make eye contact.

I nod. Been to a couple in my time, we live in fucking Paris dude. All sorts of scummy bars off the tourist-y bits. Good ones too.

"He should be in the corner trying to pull the mysterious cloaked figure routine off," He adds, handing over a small handful of money, "Just tell him you want Camouflage and Steady Hands Skill Gems. Nothing else, no matter how much he tries to sell you more."

"What's Steady Hands do, and why is it something else I should already have?" I squint at him.

"Literally what it says. Makes it easier to keep your hands steady and not shake for, I believe, 10 seconds. Which is to say, not all that useful to some who is, quote, 'awesome'," He fires back, referencing my own boasting, "Or to be more serious, I decided to have faith in your ability and so far, I can't say you've really needed the help."

I'm of two minds as to whether I should be annoyed or just to take the compliment, backhanded as it is.

My pride wins out.

"I am in fact, awesome."

Ignoring me, he starts walking to the dive bar's door, "Come on, I want to get this done and go home."

25