Chapter 69: Name
761 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prospector's Rest, Goldmoss, Ujax Forest

"Nice work, overall," I praise the team, "But you need to be more conscientious of Windy's ability to maintain aggro on multiple targets, Jupiter. She's not equipped to handle groups with her current abilities."

"What he said," Windy agrees, a little breathless.

"Sorry, figured you could handle it, and you could," Jupiter half-asses an apology, still sporting a fixed grin, "But man does this feel so much better now."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, then turn to Jade, "Thank you for the assistance."

Not sure how to take my sincerity, Jade avoids eye contact, "Sure."

"Same goes for you, Angelus," I nod to him.

"Just doing my job," he shrugs, "What now?"

I exhale, "I think we should call it off now, and return after the Event is over. We've spent way more time in travel than I expected to, and we're closing in on sundown. If we're still in the forest at that point, we're screwed. No ifs, ands, or buts."

"No objections from me," Jupiter agrees, "I am so done with walking."

"Shame we didn't get any Level ups," Jade comments, "Iunno about you guys but I'm about halfway there."

"After all that? Yeah, me too actually," Angelus mumbles, "Hey Silver, is the experience grind supposed to be this stingy?"

"For a while yet, probably. Hunting Dire Wolves is our best bet until about 16-17, I'd say, in and around Meteo City," I estimate, "We'll need to head further afield if we're going to find somewhere better."

"No magical beta wisdom?" Jade asks sarcastically.

While I do have some ideas, I've not nailed anything down yet, "Once the Pioneers Alliance is up and running again, we can get awarded experience for the Quests they give out there now that we're past The First Step. That's the only other option we have, realistically."

"So it all comes back to stomping this Geronil douchebag's face in, yeah?" Jade muses, "Aight. Was kinda half-expecting you to pull a Metal Slime dungeon out your ass."

"A what?" I furrow my brow.

"Dragon Quest reference," Jupiter helpfully supplies, "Little metallic slimes with goofy grins that almost never attack, have like 3-5 HP, ridiculous evasion and only take 1 damage per attack with a high chance to flee. If you kill them, they give a dickload of Exp."

"Oh," I blink, "Never played them, but no, nothing so convenient. Despite any impression I may give, I'm not omniscient concerning game matters."

Maybe someplace like that exists on Merrow, but I don't know any. Good hunting grounds for our level are limited to just Ujax Forest, unfortunately. If we were based out of one of the other starting zones, I'd have more options to work with, but that would mean giving up on Meteo City, which isn't a good trade-off long-term. For the time being, I'm less concerned about being on the bleeding edge of the level curve so long as I can stay competitive.

"In any case, once all the Carcasses are loaded up, we're leaving the forest," I wipe the blood off my sword and sheath it, "Even if it's earlier than I'm expecting it to be, I need the sleep for tomorrow."


 

Western Perimeter, Ujax Forest

After a slog through Goldmoss, we emerge bleary-eyed into a waning sun. By my estimates, it should be coming up on 5 PM. Inwardly I feel as though I made the right call to end the expedition then and there.

"Ah, the sun upon my skin is prickly and the scent of fresh grass honey-sweet," Jupiter announces poetically, "Too long have we been amidst the midden."

"What he said," Miss Coates mumbles, yawning, "I could go for a long nap right about now."

While the members of Wolf Hunt and my team chat, I approach Mr Fathom with a friendly smile, "A bit truncated, but I believe we can both agree that it was a worthwhile endeavour."

We shake hands firmly, "Quite so. I'm almost at Level 10 myself now, and two of us are ready to tackle The First Step as well."

"Oh? Who?" I ask curiously.

"Ingrid and Maurice, the officer accompanying us," Mr Fathom reports, "Once we sell our share of the Carcasses, we can pay DDA for entry into Miner's Nightmare to finish off the remainder after the Event ends in a week."

"What you do with the money is up to you," I shrug, "However, I would like to engage in additional expeditions in the lead-up to the attempt at Wolf Lord's Remains, assuming you're on board with that now."

"I'll need to discuss it with my officers," the Hunt Leader half-smiles, "But speaking both personally and as Hunt Leader, I believe that we can come to an agreement, yes. I look forward to working with you again, and hopefully not as a leech on your efforts at that time."

"I shall anticipate it," I turn to the group, then start walking back to the city with him, "I don't suppose you've been in contact with Sober Morning's people at all recently?"

"Not much," Mr Fathom admits, "I believe they're working on clearing Miner's Nightmare at present. They asked us to deliver some supplies to them a few days ago, much as you did. Concerning the dungeon proposal, I believe they're still conservatively interested from our own discussions after you made the offer."

"Remarkably candid of you to say as much," I note.

The Hunt Leader waves it off, "It's nothing you couldn't find out for yourself, really. As for more sensitive matters we may or may not have discussed, you'll have to forgive me for staying silent."

"That's reasonable. I'm just curious about their relative silence thus far. I'd expected to be contacted by a representative of theirs by now."

"From my interactions with them, they strike me as very cautious folks," Mr Fathom muses, "Likely they're watching what you do until they're forced to make a decision."

"Perhaps," I murmur, I'm not personally acquainted or all that familiar with the guild, beyond their initial reputation. I'll take Mr Fathom's word for it over anything I may have heard myself. I expect it won't be much longer before they send a message, even so, and if not then I'll just have to shop around for another collaborator. Not Rambling Rose, though, I'm not taking any chances that Hadrian will get his hands on the item I'm after again.

If that happens, my plans will have to take a drastic change in direction.


 

Sheveret Troop Encampment, Fander Field

After taking our share of the Carcasses and parting ways with Wolf Hunt, it's time we found ourselves some shelter for the night. As I recall, you need to convince one of the NPCs high up in the Troop's pecking order to give you permission to make use of one of their spare tents, which will, so long as the tent flap is securely shut, act similarly to a 1-Star Inn for protecting your Vessel and belonging from malicious intruders. It's definitely not as secure as an actual 1-Star Inn, but it's preferable to sleeping just anywhere outside. We're too high profile to risk it.

"I'm going to go see about getting us a tent, in the meantime, you should probably pay Henna a visit, Windy, and get your gear repaired," I order, "I don't think she'll charge you, but if she doesn't take your word for it that I sent you, just wait there and I'll be showing up to get my own gear fixed."

"Order received, boss," Windy salutes with a tired smile, "My stuff was starting to get in the red."

"Yeah, durability will start to matter a lot more as time goes by," I grimace, recalling the literal thousands of High Magicoins and other currencies I spent on repairs over the years. It's part of what motivated me to take Armoursmithing as my Specialisation - so I could cut costs by doing it myself instead of buying consumables or paying through the nose to other people, "Partly because of the increased experience requirements for Levels encouraging monster genocide, but mostly because enemies'll hit harder and take hits better."

Some enemies have abilities and bodies that can increase the durability loss to boot, which are the bane of melee Classes in particular. The less said about that particular niche the better I'll feel, honestly.

"Looking forward to it," Windy winces, "Was never a big fan of durability systems. VA doesn't really have one."

"Yep, the closest it gets is special ammo types for gunners, really," Jade concurs, "I mean, I get why they exist 'cos money/item sinks and all. Important for a healthy game economy. Doesn't mean it's not a pain in the ass though."

"Can't say I have strong feelings about it either way," Mostly because I spent 30 years with it and just got used to it being there, "While we're doing that, could I trouble you to get the Carcasses sold to the Quartermaster, Angelus?"

"Do we not get more from keeping them and handing them over to a Butcher after the Event?" Angelus questions.

I waver, "Yes, but we need the money now, rather than the components. Once we liberate Tridor Plaza and deal with the Minibosses, I should have enough Reputation and Fame to start the Guild for real. I'll be doing a little impromptu moneymaking tomorrow to take us back over the 50 Stone Gold we need for it, as well."

"It's finally happening?" Jade quirks an eyebrow, "Hallelujah."

"A sentiment I agree with," Windy nods, "Have you decided on the name yet?"

I shake my head in denial, "No, I've narrowed it down to three. Truthseekers, Starcrown and Astral Knights."

"I vote option 2," Jupiter raises his hand in support.

"Truthseekers...What Truth is it that we'd be seeking?" Angelus queries, thoughtful.

"The Truth of Stars - The big 'Thing' in Astral Reckoning that we need to possess in order to pass the trial set during The Astral Eclipse," I explain.

"In other words, the final MacGuffin at the end of the progression curve?" Angelus nods along, "I like it. I vote for Truthseekers."

"Same," Windy agrees, which of course means that Jade also agrees, following along with her best friend.

"Truthseekers...Alright, from tomorrow onwards, we're Truthseekers, the first and greatest Guild in Astral Reckoning," I grin. The rest of the team smile with varying degrees of enthusiasm for the impending formation of our Guild. For my part, I feel nothing but anticipation, as we take another step to the top of the world.


 

"Greetings, Captain Sheveret," I execute a perfect Empire of Stone salute, "Would you bless me with a few moments of your time?"

The Captain's tent is, out of the small sea of similarly constructed tents, the most lavishly furnished, with a Grand Burdockwood desk, two bookshelves and a carpeted floor. The interior also stinks of pipesmoke, of a rather cheap variety too if I'm not mistaken.

A little surprised, and more than a little flattered, the Captain sets his pen back in it's inkwell, "Speak."

"As you command," I lay it on thick, "Tomorrow myself and my cohorts will be mounting an excursion deeper into the city to deal with the leadership of the occupying forces and bring Geronil Uvstine to justice. In order for us to be at our best, I'd like to request a tent and official sanction to act on the Empire's behalf in this matter."

He contemplates it for a moment, "Very well, in the name of the Empire, I empower you to act as it's arm in crushing these foul demons. Bring proof of your deeds and you will be richly rewarded for your service."

 

Iron-Tier Difficulty Quest Accepted!

The Magpie Demon Part 4: Siege

Geronil Uvstine, having been exposed as The Beak of Arevas, The Magpie Demon, has occupied Meteo City and left lieutenants in charge of maintaining the traps and barriers impeding progress through the city.

Kill them all, and emancipate the city from his control!

Lieutenants Remaining 4/4

The Beak, Geronil Uvstine, Captured or Slain 0/1

Quest will automatically be considered a failure if Geronil escapes Meteo City.

Quest Rewards

Rewards Dependant on Contributions

Quest Failure

Reduced Reputation with Empire of Stone

Reduced Affinity with Troop Captain Sheveret

-1 Level

 

Captain Sheveret takes up his quill again, then scribbles on a loose scrap of parchment, "Take this writ to the Quartermaster to receive the supplies for a tent. He'll also indicate a place where you can erect it."

I bow in a courtly manner, "My thanks, Captain. Stars Bless your Path."

"Serve the Empire well, Citizen," He replies graciously, puffing up a little.

Taking up the slip of parchment, I turn smartly on my heel and march out of the tent and into the judging stares of Jade and Jupiter.

"I didn't know you had it in you to bullshit that hard," Jupiter smirks, "I'm impressed. Teach me your ways, Guildmaster!"

I sigh, "Another time, perhaps. Honestly, teaching everyone some of the customs and etiquette involved with the Empire isn't a terrible idea, now that you bring it up. At the very least, it'll help you avoid embarrassing yourselves or making enemies when you're out questing in the Empire's territory."

"Do I look like a lady o' the court to you?" Jade grumbles.

"No, but it doesn't hurt to at least learn on the off-chance it'll be useful," I admonish her, "I don't plan on having you handle diplomacy or the like, regardless. Your time would be better spent advancing the guild's interests elsewhere."

"Too right," Jade snorts, "I've got a crafting grind to work on. Ugh."

I empathise a little, but not by much, "That and combat, yes."

"I'll have to pass on the diplomacy too," Jupiter adds.

"Again, wasn't expecting you to. Officers suited to the task and myself will be dealing with it, and you aren't either one," I inform him.

"Not an officer?" Jupiter blinks, "News to me."

I scratch my head, "At present, you're not qualified for the position, but that may change in the future."

"Bummer," he looks disappointed, "How come?"

"You're not old enough, if I'm not mistaken, for one," Officers will basically be full-time employees, meaning they'll need to be adults, "We also don't feel you're ready for a position of responsibility yet."

I deflect some of the blame to the others.

"Fair enough, I suppose," he shrugs, coming to terms with it pretty quickly, "I'll be there one day, though. Not right to leave a Founding member in the lower rungs like that. Bad look."

I consider it, and find myself agreeing, "I guess it is. For now, consider yourself on probation for it and work hard."

"Can do," Jupiter beams, "Do either of you know how to set up a tent at all?"

We start walking to the Quartermaster, "I do."

"Nope," Jade denies, "I'm a city girl. Too much nature and I'll keel over from all the excess oxygen in the air. Need my smog to breathe."

"Paris isn't even that bad for emissions," I roll my eyes, "Traffic on the main roads barely moves, for one thing."

"Don't I fucking know it. The Arc de Triomphe is a nightmare to get past," she grumps, "Last time I was in the queues we were stuck there for three hours. Three. Fucking. Hours. I've been to concerts with better traffic."

"Oh? What bands?" Jupiter enquires with interest.

"Maitre Death and Frere in November 06," Jade reveals, "The gridlock to get out from the carpark after it ended was brutal."

"Not familiar with those," Jupiter scratches his chin, "Should I be?"

"Nah, they're big in France, but they don't have much of an international audience," Jade shakes her head, getting into the conversation now, "Partly on account of singing entirely in French. Partly because they can't be bothered to try and break into other countries. Frere's been through three publishers because of it, but they're still going strong, somehow."

"So, like proper bohemian types?"

"Pretty much," Jade nods, "Fans appreciate that they don't take shit from corporate suits even if they take their pay from them. Like a middle-ground between selling out to make the music a proper well-paying career and staying true to their sound."

"I'll give'em a listen later," Jupiter smiles, "You listen to them at all Silver?"

"Metal isn't really my preference," I shrug, "Prefer hiphop and rap."

"Oho? Wouldn't have pegged you for a rap fan," Jade is surprised.

"Call me disillusioned with the corporate world after the fine mess The Crash left," I grunt, "Also, I was a pretty angry teenager. So, listening to people rap out their negativity was comforting in a way."

"Huh. You write any?" Jupiter asks, starry-eyed.

"Yeah, but I'm not about to rattle a verse off. I barely remember how they went and they're not relevant to who I am anymore," I shut down the inevitable request for a performance, "I still like to listen though."

"Any favourites?" Jade nudges me.

"Specifically?" I reject the notion, "No. Rap's better consumed with variety, in my opinion. After a while, people start getting...artificial...the more they try to plumb the well. Less genuine, which kinda defeats the purpose, if that makes sense? I mean, don't get me wrong, they can still have great technical skill, but the underlying message and emotions are what make a good rap good."

Jade laughs suddenly, "Tour Guide is a rap purist. I declare you as having an actual fucking personality beyond an unreasonable obsession with this game."

I frown, but decide to just accept it as a step towards potential reconciliation.

Nice.

17