Chapter 176: Debrief
160 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Boulder Gate, Meteo Town, Fander Field

Festering Desires Complete!

Escort Zomn Dyter Klaeriss 1/1

Seal the Corruption Vector 1/1

Rewards

50 Stone Gold

Slightly Increased Reputation with The Empire of Stone

Moderately Increased Reputation with The Imperial Southern Provinces

Negligible Increased Reputation with The Unstained Reginlei

Slightly Increased Reputation with The Pioneers' Alliance

Increased Favourability with Zomn Dyter Klaeriss

Negligible Increased Favourability with Lord Klancic dun Ocri, Defender of the Empire

Access to further Quests from Lord Klancic dun Ocri, Defender of the Empire

Bonus: Zomn Dyter Klaeriss' promise of endorsement in applying for access to the Lushmoss City Pioneers' Alliance Headquarters Spellscript Archivio

Upon parting ways at the entrance to the town, the 'escort' portion of the Quest is considered complete, and the reward window springs up to make the discharge of our duties official. Other than the last line, there's nothing all that special or unexpected about it.

"Cool, bonus reward," Windy slaps Angelus on the back, "Nice one Ange."

"Doesn't hurt to ask," he smiles bashfully, "Guess since it showed up in the reward section there's a good chance of us getting a pipeline going on new Spell Tomes and so on."

"Hope so!" Karin laughs, "I could really use some new ones like yours, it's pretty boring only having the one Spell and hoping that my passive procs."

"I know your pain," he sighs, "Actually, Silver, now that we have money would it be a bad idea to just buy out what Miss Klaeriss has on hand? I still want that Skill Gem from last time y'know."

I'd definitely given it some thought, "I don't know about buying all of it, but Skill Gems are seldom a bad investment. I'll consider it and let you know after we log off tonight, ok? It's still around 50 Stone Gold if I'm remembering correctly, so it's not a purchase to be made lightly."

"Sure."

Olrica clicks her tongue, "So...what do we do now? We got up pretty early for this and from the looks of things it's not even midday yet."

"If you've work to get back to, then get back to it," I decide, sweeping my arm toward the gatehouse, "Otherwise the day's yours - That said, I'm going to drop in at Meteor Manufactory for a while, and I need to talk to you about something on the way, Olrica since you probably planned on heading there to chat with Henna anyway."

"You a mind reader or something?" Olrica, predictable, complains half-heartedly, "Sure, sure. You coming too J?"

"Mhm," Jade nods, "Today's the day Henna is letting me make something."

"I'll go back to HQ and make sure it doesn't burn down," Angelus looks at Windy, "Come to think of it, with all of us out here, who's even running things?"

"Mr Lonsz," she answers him with a certain degree of hesitation, "I guess? He's better than me and you at the whole thing anyway. We do still need more staff though, on the business side of things. Jupiter and Grand were taking inventory at a snail's pace, and it's really just Henna doing much of anything at the store."

Grand huffs, feigning offence, "I can't help it if it's boring."

"Something I've been delaying while I deal with all the paperwork," I sigh, raising my arms in defeat, "All that's done now, so all that's left is to get our hands on a decent Blueprint for the shop and some Architects to build it, because we can't accommodate enough workers with the dinky forge we have now to make a serious difference in manufacture output."

"Can't you just, y'know, buy one?"

"In a pinch, we can touch base with one of the Merchants in town and see if they can put us in contact with a supplier," I explain, "But a building that fits our needs and is relatively future-proofed will be...extraordinarily expensive. Easily over a Stone Platinum for the Blueprint, never mind the materials and contractors to act on it."

Olrica whistles, "Yikes, that's a pricy piece of paper."

"More like a bundle of papers," Angelus notes, "How much do we have in the bank?"

Glancing around to make sure nobody's listening in first, I respond in hushed tones, "Around 2 Stone Platinum. So, half our funds for something that's scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of usefulness and overall value - likely still worth the investment, but I'd like to explore other options first."

"Those being?" Morn asks the obvious question.

"Dungeon and Quest rewards," I clear my throat, "And no, before anyone asks, I don't know where to find what we need. We need someone to do some research or hope we get lucky and Horizon finds us even a weak lead in the Central Provinces. I don't have high hopes either way - it's the sort of prize that attracts a great deal of attention from those in power."

"I can already tell there's going to be a problem with that," Angelus sighs, rubbing his temple, "But we're going to need to travel for that stuff, aren't we? We're pretty much tied down in Meteo without cars and so on to cut down on the time we'd be spending in the field. Seems to me that as great as having a Headquarters and everything is, it's seriously hampering our flexibility going forward."

Morn nods calmly, "That's correct. In my opinion, it's not just a matter of having enough skilled staff present in the town to work on the Guild's interests, we need someone who can properly represent Truthseekers on a semi-permanent basis to stay tied down here. If all we needed to concern ourselves with was the growth of Meteor Manufactory it would not be an issue, but the problem is that this is a game, and we have an obligation to maintain our position by engaging in combat and exploration content away from 'home', so to speak."

"That'd mean either me or the boss man here would need to stay behind," Windy follows the thought, "But I'm basically our only tank and the boss is both our biggest combat asset, one of our best sources of inside info, and I guess kinda the poster boy for the guild too so any major operation we take on will need him to show up along the way or lead the outing as well."

"...And I don't really feel like we need to revisit last week's meeting," Grand grumbles, eyeing me, "But yeah, all...that...as well."

"So, who's getting benched?" Jade shortens the dialogue to a simple, blunt question.

Sparing an apologetic smile for Oil and Karin, who aren't really prepared for or really involved in decision-making, I can only shake my head in response, "Ideally, none of the current Officers. Meteor Manufactory is fine in Henna's hands for now, and like I already mentioned, we don't need to go anywhere immediately with our current advantage. Still, it's a valid concern that needs handling probably sooner instead of later."

I scratch my cheek, at a loss, "Unfortunately, I don't have a solution ready to go, or anyone I can really turn to."

The only person I'm close enough to have unshakeable trust is my sister, and there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to convince her to get into a capsule...Even after she recovered, that was...

Never mind.

"So we need to hire someone for a position that you literally refuse to trust someone you just met on principle," Jade groans, "Wow, way to shoot yourself in the foot, Silver."

"She's right," Windy echoes, tone reluctant, "You're going to have to find a compromise on this one, boss. Not like you need to give them any real power of their own, just so long as they can do what you need 'em to do on your behalf."

"I guess so," I'm not exactly happy, but holding back my gut reaction to shut the suggestion down, I belatedly come to realise we're having an important, confidential meeting about our leadership structure and future plans out in front of the town gates where anyone can listen in, "Regardless, we should probably discuss this in the comfort of our headquarters the day after tomorrow."

"Alright."

Olrica starts walking off, sensing that the conversation has reached its conclusion for the time being. Sharing my praises and goodbyes, I take swift strides to catch up to her pace.


 

Meteo Town is busy. Hundreds of people crowd what used to be a temporary market area that reminds me of the day I first met Angelus. People looking for people, making connections, gossiping. Staring at me and Olrica with barely disguised envy and curiosity for the equipment we wear.

"Who're they?"

"Truthseekers, one of the local big shot guilds."

"That guy...is making me feel weird..."

"...Do we need to have a talk about closets?"

"Girl, I am flaming as is, I know the difference."

"Reminds me, aren't Rambling Rose running a recruitment event in an hour?"

"Eh, I'm more interested in following the Pioneers route, seems like it's way more guaranteed..."

"I guess, joining one of the top guilds is just gonna have us as wage slaves for some rich asshole in this world as well anyway."

Following the mood of the conversations happening around us, the players present here are a sight more mature than their 'betters'. Opinions towards Truthseekers appear to be pessimistic or apathetic at best, for better or worse. Rambling Rose appears to have the most people talking positively about them, followed by some names I only half-recognise from the procession of CIG reps hounding us I understand to have a strong backing of their own.

"All they care about is the paycheck those organisations are offering," Olrica comments, arms behind her head and eyes sharp, "Not like we aren't making money anymore, but..."

"I know," in-game wealth and external financial strength aren't synonymous yet, "Another wrinkle on the prospect of having someone manage our Meteo Headquarters."

"That too," Olrica hums, "I meant that we aren't exactly consistent with it, and it's going to take a lot of effort and luck to turn it into a real mercantile empire that can support us all. Time we probably can't afford - all these chaebols and shit're going to just swing their dicks around and buy their way to the top of the food chain like they always do. Grassroots projects like this'll have a hard time surviving, let alone competing."

"I know," I growl, taking a deep breath to settle my irritation, "I can't not be aware of these things, but there are no other options that don't see us chained down to some excessively rich, ignorant fool more enamoured with their pride and company reputation than anything meaningful."

"Sounds hypocritical, but sure, I get it," Olrica smirks at me, eyes mocking, "So! Before we start arguing, what did you want to talk to me about all alone?"

"Simply put, Truthseekers needs a presence 'backstage'," I oblige in changing the subject back to the meat of the matter, stopping at the side of the road, "Taking the Shop Blueprint as an example, we don't have an information network capable of tracking down any leads in that regard. Conversely, we don't have any way of keeping tabs on the state of the world or running counter-intelligence. So far, we've been able to ignore any potential threats from Reality by virtue of our lack of real presence there, but as things progress, we'll need a way to defend ourselves from clandestine attacks."

"I'm flattered you think I can do something about that, but I'm not cut out for it," Olrica frowns, "Not to mention I'm just one woman, and if this is going where I think you're going with it, I'm definitely not the right person."

"We need a force that can act apart from Truthseekers publically, Olrica," I insist regardless, "And you're the only one with both experience and my respect."

"Heavy, but no," she digs in her heels, "I'm not leadership material, man. Sure, you're not wrong about needing a black ops team, and I'm a-ok with joining it - but that's all."

"Who else could?" I don't back down, "Maybe that'll change in the future, but right now someone needs to set up the foundation. Be realistic, Olrica...There isn't anyone else, and honestly, I don't want to ask anyone else either."

She doesn't answer, turning away to avoid looking at me. To be blunt, if there were someone more suitable, I'd ask them instead without guilt, but I need to work with what I have, and I need people I can rely on to do the work, whether as our Branch Manager, or the Captain of our spy network. Especially so in the latter case.

"Ok, look, I'll give you some time to think about it," I ease off the pressure, "Maybe a day or two, but the next time I bring it up, I expect an answer."

The expected answer is 'Yes' of course, but that's implied.

"What's with the mood here?" Jade butts in, having caught up with us now that we've stopped walking, only to hold up her hand in rejection, "Y'know, forget I asked. Whatever it is it doesn't feel like my business."

"We're done in any case," I tell her, watching Olrica leave ahead of us with a metaphorical thundercloud hanging over her head, "So, you've convinced Henna to let you break your thumb for the first time trying to hammer a billet?"

"Psh, what kinda clumsy idiot d'you take me for?" Jade snipes back, indignant, "My hand-eye coordination is fucking pristine I'll have you know."

"We'll see about that when we get there."

It's been a while since I've forged anything, have to say I'm looking forward to it.


 

Market District, Meteo Town

The old market is back in full after a couple weeks of work courtesy of the contractors and merchants hired by the Empire of Stone, and the stalls have never been busier or more diverse in their offerings. While also being inordinately expensive even for basic amenities, the Unstained Reginlei soldiers clearly lacking any interest in regulating the blatant profiteering, taking an attitude not too dissimilar to that of the former gatehouse guards - it's not their jurisdiction unless something obviously illegal is happening.

In fairness, it's only a difference of a Stone Silver here, a few more Stone Coppers there, but to the average Citizen, it's a serious problem.

What doesn't help matters is the glut of ignorant Newborn who don't have any sense of value with the local currency. Small bottles of lamp oil being sold at a mark-up of 30% over standard isn't going to bat an eyelid. It is, ostensibly, an acceptable expense for delving into Miner's Nightmare that will still turn a profit.

But it's only going to get worse as more and more of them try to pawn off their goods for a quick bit of coin.

One of the hardest truths to swallow when it comes to Rise of the Adventurers, is that Merchants don't have unlimited money, and aren't obligated to just buy every bit of tat you dump out onto their laps. Basic economic principles like Supply & Demand are in full effect, and flooding the market with hundreds of, say, Dire Wolf Pelts, will tank the market value from a reasonable dozen or so Stone Silver into nothing, as Merchants refuse to buy any more stock.

The market crash for all these 'farmables' is already underway, thanks to these short-sighted morons, and there's little I can do to prevent it even if I wanted to try. If anything, it's good for Meteor Manufactory to have all these materials deprecate in value, since that will do wonders for the profit margins on processing them into armour and so on and so forth.

Processed goods mightn't sell as well due to a lack of free-floating currency in the area, but its 'value' will endure, theoretically, and as production catches up the market will eventually stabilise.

Scarcity drives desire, desire drives prices.

Business logic so simple, even a complete amateur like me can exploit it.


 

Meanwhile...

Mayor's Office, Town Hall, Meteo Town

"You may sit, exalted Zomn," Lüdr dun Ocri, Cugostha of the Empire of Stone, informs the aged Rapturat graciously, "By your countenance, I take it that all went well?"

Heeding his words, Zomn Dyter Klaeriss brushes the skirt of her robe out of the way and lowers herself into a comfortable chair across the desk.

"Yes, anh-serte. The Corruption Vector will cause no trouble for a few years yet, assuming no external interference," she nods, pulling a string-tied roll of paper from her personal intraspatial storage bangle and leaning forward to place it on the immaculately polished desk, "Fortunately, even as advancing age diminishes my accumulated strengths and the clarity of my mind, with smaller dimensions and denied the connection to its source, encapsulating the infected area is likewise lesser a challenge than the incident from which I rescued Lüdr uin Finzina's late son - may he find solace in the darkened earth."

"Please refrain from mentioning such a depressing incident," the simulacrum of the Cugostha heaves a sigh, "The idi-...the headstrong young man only had himself to blame. We do not allow Rea-Maehgrandus Loorm such leeway without good reason, much as We wish it were otherwise - so it is simply shameful that even with his assistance it was not enough to rescue him from his fated end, as Taracün willed it."

Zomn Klaeriss bows her head slightly in recognition of the Cugostha's request, "In any event, the task is done, and the affidavit awaiting your signature for our records."

"Of course, Doulc uin Ghärv is filing the appropriate paperwork for the release of the quarantine as we speak," the facsimile reaches for the roll of paper, it's blank eyes never leaving the Zomn's face, "But if you might humour me with your opinion, what think you of these 'Truthessekers' performance and potential?"

"Utterly insignificant," the Zomn replies without a hint of hesitation, "With one lone exception, 'tis clear they are rank amateurs with a half-baked understanding of their capabilities, lacking in armaments, cohesion and leadership, ekeing by on determination alone. They can be said to be barely scraping the lowest bounds of competence - even at their Level - such that were it not verified, I'd promise violence to the one who still claimed them capable of the Historic Deed of surviving confronting an Archdemon Count after witnessing their abysmal performance."

Laughing heartily, Lüdr dun Ocri leans back, slapping his knees from surprised mirth, "My, such a harsh evaluation! I'd half expected you to defend them with some feeble optimism."

"I am not one to mince words, anh-serte," the Zomn's face remains impassive and uncaring, "However, that is only for their present. Fortunately, the characteristic reckless greed and stubbornness exhibited by these so-called 'Newborn' is something oft found lacking in newer Pioneers, and make no mistake, they are surprisingly well-educated in their own way. In concert with their demi-immortality they can seize opportunities The Ignorant might balk at for fear of their lives."

"We are of the same mind, in that regard," the Cugostha agrees, still smirking, "Pray, continue."

"The existence of Anh-Elret Nosster is perhaps the only thing that gives me reason to believe growing past their inadequacy a possibility in the coming days - when observing him, I do not get the impression of a young, inexperienced Silva - rather, he reminds me in some ways of my compeers. Though he too, is a disappointment after a fashion - his martial skills are simply passable and it's clear that he is as yet comfortable with leadership - there remains a certain...quality about the man that makes the Historic Deed somehow more believable, struggle as I might to understand what that quality may be."

"Hm, well I expect you are aware of the favour afforded him by The Lady of Steel's Ambition," Lüdr dun Ocri comments, calming down, "Ignorant to Her thoughts we might be, Her judgment is not to be dismissed lightly, regardless of what our filth-soaked eyes can see."

"You speak wisdom," the Rapturat concedes the point, "To conclude, anh-serte, 'Truthseekers' is a curious thing."

"It is, at that," the weight of the councilor's experience suffuses his tone, "The 20th Astral Eclipse approaches, and such creatures appear as if from nowhere. Curious is certainly one way to describe it, but for good or ill, ultimately..."

"Apologies, anh-serte, but such ponderous thoughts are not for me," the Zomn, equally experienced shakes her head lightly, "The future is not of any concern for those who live in the present."

"The Empire's future is my present, exalted Zomn," Lüdr dun Ocri snorts, sneering with mock self-deprecation, "Thus is it's past my present, and the current moment my present. It is more important than any one of us, as it has always been, and always will be. Therefore, I cannot ignore such matters as one of it's foremost custodians."

"My own responsibilities are too small to compare, pray forgive my discourtesy, I did not mean to offend."

"Nay, it is of no moment," taking a quill pen from it's holder he undoes the string with one hand while dabbing the tip in a pot of silky black ink with the other. Swift and clean, the councilor's name is scribed thrice onto the surface, then pushed across the desk.

"My thanks, anh-serte," the Zomn rises from her seat and takes the affidavit while bowing courteously, "Is there ought else I or the Pioneers' Alliance can assist you with this day?"

"No, I think not," Lüdr dun Ocri returns the quill after scraping away the excess ink, and waves dismissively, "You may take your leave, exalted Zomn, the Empire of Stone expresses it's gratitude for your service this day, and in appreciation for graciousness to follow."

Bowing again, much more formally this time, the Zomn turns smartly on her heels and glides smoothly out of the room, leaving the humming magitech and the silent simulacrum behind.

"It is worth continuing to keep an eye on that one."

Here have some statblocks:

Elementalist

Spoiler

Class Changed

<Common> Class <Elementalist>

Mana appears in a multitude of different forms, but some spellcasters possess a natural affinity for specific Elemental Mana types.

Bonus Attributes Per Level: +3 Imagination, +1 Wisdom.

Every 5 Levels (From 15 Onwards) you gain double the bonus.

Skills Acquired

Copper-Tier Passive (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Elemental Specialisation

Elementalists have a higher affinity for certain types of Elemental Mana.

Choose 1 type of Elemental Mana.

When casting certain Spells strongly associated with an Element the Elementalist has chosen, the cost is reduced by a percentage based on the abundance of that Elemental Mana in the vicinity.

Designated Affinity:

Mastery: 0%

Copper-Tier Active (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Elementalist’s Confluence

When casting certain Spells strongly associated with an Element the Elementalist has chosen, the personal cost may be waived when the Elemental Mana of that Element exceeds a threshold.

Base Cost: 470 Stamina

Cooldown: 20 Seconds.

Mastery: 0%

Copper-Tier Passive (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Elementalist’s Perseverance

You take up to 30% less damage from your chosen Elemental Specialisations.

Negative effects from high concentrations of your chosen Elemental Specialisation in the environment are reduced by up to 40%.

Mastery 0%

Bronze-Tier Active (Toggleable, Trainable, Upgradeable)

An Elemental’s Understanding

While the skill is active, gain an intuitive understanding of the Elemental Ambient Mana in the vicinity.

You can roughly see the flow of your chosen Elemental Specialisations while active.

Cost: 150 MP/10s, 20 Stamina/10s

Mastery: 0%

[collapse]

Restorationist

Spoiler

Class Changed

<Common> Class <Restorationist>

Restorationists are adherents to an old discipline of the healing arts, prizing efficient spellcraft on the battlefield to ensure serious wounds can be salved with less strain on themselves.

Bonus Attributes Per Level: +2 Wisdom, +1 Willpower, +1 Resilience

Every 5 Levels (From 15 Onwards) you gain double the bonus.

Skills Acquired

Copper-Tier Passive (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Restorationist’s Prudence

Your healing Spells cost 20% less, and have a 7% chance of increasing the target’s natural Health regeneration by 50% for 5 seconds.

Mastery: 0%

Copper-Tier Active (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Wellspring of Restoration

Become a wellspring of healing magics for 10 seconds.

Allies within 10ft of you have their natural Health regeneration doubled while in range, and the effect of healing Spells is increased when used on the same target in succession by 10%.

Cost: 500MP, 320 Stamina

Cooldown: 1 Hour 35 minutes.

Mastery: 0%

Copper-Tier Active (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Every Effort

All Healing Spells on the designated target activate the natural Health regeneration boost of Restorationist’s Prudence at 50% increased potency for 20 seconds.

Cost: 100MP

Cooldown: 5 Minutes

Mastery 0%

Copper-Tier Active (Trainable, Upgradeable)

Fanning The Spark of Life

The next healing spell you cast costs 100% more, and its potency increases based on missing Health.

Cost: 10% Max Health, 110 MP

Cooldown: 5 Minutes

Mastery: 0%

[collapse]

7