Chapter 11: A Meta-Human and Magic Theory
440 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The first thing about magic you need to know are the runes. Runes are what transform mana into magic" Nymphaya conjured a simple magic circle and held active but not discharged. "See this rune?" Nymphaya pointed to a rune that looks very similar to the flower of life geometric pattern. "This is the rune for 'growth'. That one over there is the rune for 'end'" Nymphaya pointed to a rune that looked like two squares, one turned forty-five degrees and overlapped with the other.

"Without that rune, the circle will continue to gather mana until discharged. This can be good for some situations but keep in mind it's a very niche situation" Nymphaya explained.

It is on the third morning that I had recovered from my mana exhaustion. We are sitting cross-legged on top of the cliff, the waterfall is behind me. The seven tail fox, Nana was curled behind me letting me bury my hand into the soft fluffy fur of her tail. I am petting Usagi too so he doesn't get jealous.

"Like with my portal magic, right? It ends when I want to end it by cutting off the magic source, but it'll constantly drain my mana" I don't remember seeing the 'end' rune on my portal magic.

Comparing Nana's and Usagi's fur I'd have to give the win to Usagi, just barely though.

"That is correct! You seem to comprehend this very easily!" Nymphaya praised me by patting my head. Nymphaya seemed to do this more for her sake than mine though.

"But I don't understand, why bother learning this when it's automatically created?" It's nice to know what it means but without any practical application, it shouldn't be considered a 'basic' lesson. There must be a way to apply this knowledge.

"Excellent question! There are many reasons. First: for the creation and refinement of spells. Yes, magic circles make themselves if you have access to that type of magic through the system. It does not create the circle if you don't have access. In fact it is with the system that we discovered runes in the first place. Without the proper magical circle image, you won't be able to cast a spell you don't have access to. There are ways around that but that's for another lesson

Although the system does auto-create a magic circle that does not mean that it's a perfect circle. For a progenitor of your magic, you need to experiment with rune combinations to expand what you can do. Make use of the system to learn more runes and try to make a new circle on your own, or make a system-generated circle better"

"You sound like Stem!" I muttered under my breath.

"Ara~ this Stem person must be a pretty smart person then!" Nymphaya said. Complimenting herself second handedly. "Continuing on!" Nymphaya conjured another magic circle.

"This leads us to the second reason for knowing runes. See the top rune? That means fire. The categorical rune or runes will always be at the top. Knowing this you can correctly identify what type of magic an opponent is using if you recognize the rune." I listened intently to Nymphaya's words.

"Third: Is for enchantments and magical item creation. It's a bit tricky to achieve but with enough practice, you can make some pretty good weapons, armor and tools. Some of the simplest magic items are oil-less lamps. A simple 'Mana' and 'growth' rune after the 'light' rune. This is just one example and the possibilities are unlimited"

"So what do the rest of the magic circle mean? There are the runes but there is also the rest of the magic circle." I asked

"That's the more advanced stuff, usually schools back in my day have you study runes for two or three years as well as the nature on how mana moves. You need to know both before truly understanding how the rest of the circle works. But for now, I'll just give a short explanation. The rest of the circle, the lines, and interlocking circles and spirals dictate how mana moves through the circle and how mana moves from one rune to another."

Nymphaya then points to my engraved paths on my arm.

"Mana likes to move in cycles and circles. That's why all runes don't have ends"

"But my mana paths do have ends, why is that if mana doesn't like ends," I ask. Even my magic circles have ends in them.

"The ends are where mana leaves the circle or mana paths. They are needed otherwise mana will continually flow within the circle and never leave. This can be used for traps however if the circle is broken then the mana is released. But that's basic explosion traps, there are ways to have a 'trigger' for the 'discharge' rune"

I thought back on my magic circles. The 'discharge' rune always leads to spiral ends. Before that rune, there are no ends so the mana keeps looping back at the start. How much mana can a magic circle hold anyway?

Now I'm starting to understand why it's important to really know these things. But why are all the circles two dimensional? Tachyon fields don't work that way, we live in a three spatial dimensional world, they should be spheres. And why would this 'system' not automatically make the most efficient and spherical magic circles? How does this system even exist in the first place? I'll have to experiment with the system to figure out what it is.

"Why did you chant back there? Why not just use the spell immediately?" I ask, remembering her chant.

"Chants empower spells. It's something about declaring your intent" Nymphaya answered.

Declaring intent? If mana particles really do react to consciousness then intent matters. That would explain why it makes it more powerful, speaking does increase your focus on something. I often spoke out loud when working through a problem for that very reason.

"Getting back on topic. Let's go over all the runes that we know, you should memorize them before moving on." Nymphaya moves the lesson back to the lesson topic, the runes.

It only took about an hour and a half to go over all the runes Nymphaya knows and to explain their meaning and possible uses.

"H-how? HOW?! It takes months to memorize all that and you got it perfectly on the first try!"

"Why would it take months?" I ask, tilting my head. "Is there something wrong with your memory?"

"Something wrong with my memory? It's normal to forget details especially when going through all of these!"

"Why forget something so important?" I honestly don't understand these people why would you want to forget these things? Why learn then forget so you have to relearn it, especially when Nymphaya made it sound bothersome.

"Why? Why?! It's not something we can control?" Nymphaya looked at me shocked.

"It's not? The only time Meta-humans forget things is when we want or need to. We have to make a conscious effort to delete things from our memory" I explained the obvious, in fact, it's an incredibly rude thing to forget something someone taught you unless they are wrong then it's fine.

"Wait. So that incredibly complicated magic circle I spent six-hundred years inventing, you've learned in an instant?" Nymphaya asked. 

I nodded and while focusing on the memory of that magic circle I cast it, conjuring the pseudo-three-dimensional magic circle. It was really just thirty magic circles slapped together.

Nymphaya fell on her back in disbelief, I swear I could see her soul leaving out of her mouth but my bionic eye proved that wrong.

{Congratulations! For successfully casting a fire type spell you gain access to fire magic and gained one level in the respective skill.

Congratulations! For partaking in a magic theory lesson you gain the Magic Theory skill and gain one point in the Magic Theory skill

Congratulations! For constantly going against people's common sense you gain the Enemy of Common Sense title!}

"The world is so unfair!" Nymphaya complained

"What are titles?" I asked. looking at the system screen in front of me.

"Hmm?" Nymphaya, hummed.

{Don't ask her for title explanations, you cheating whore!

Enemy of Common Sense: You can confuse people or take them by surprise easier when going against their expectations}

"Why does the system not want you to explain titles? And what's a 'cheating whore'?"

"Ah, that. Well, it's still a debate as to whether the system has a mind or not, or even a soul. But it can only respond when you gain something like a skill or title, or when you asked for details on such things. The camp that thinks it has a mind says that it wants to reach out to us because it can't otherwise. The non-mind camp says that it's just a reaction, like with an animal or insect." Nymphaya seems to have forgotten my second question, is her memory really that bad?

"what about 'cheating whore'?" I insisted.

"... You don't need to worry about it."

"Hrrmm! You're talking like Stem again!" I say frustratingly and pouting.

"Just who is this 'Stem' person anyway?" Nymphaya asked

"She's my assistant!" I Pridefully boasted. Not everybody has an assistant after all.

"You aren't old enough to have an assistant," Nymphaya said. "Besides what was she assisting you with?"

"I'm fifty-four! Stem has been my assistant ever since I left the government facility! And I am the inventor of force fields, graviton generator, and wormhole generator!" I bragged.

"Fifty-four?! You don't look a day over sixteen!" Nymphaya looked surprised.

"Why would I?" I asked in response

"Don't tell me... You're going to say that you don't age, aren't you?" Nymphaya said with an accusing look.

"How did you know?!" I asked, surprised. Can she read minds?

"From another world indeed" Nymphaya sighed. "Well, this concludes our lesson for today we still have plenty of time left so use this time to conjure your progenitor magic and learn any new runes. If you start feeling mana exhaustion, stop"

"Just one more question. Why aren't there any three-dimensional magic circles? You've attempted to make one but it's not a true one, otherwise, it'd be spherical" I really wanted to know the answer.

" I already tried" Nymphaya said, showing me a stone ball with what looked like a magical sphere carved into it. "I tried to imagine to the best of my ability but it just wouldn't work. It only works two-dimensionally" With one look I immediately saw the problem. Nymphaya only copied a magic circle on the surface of the sphere with the runes on the equator of the ball. Of course, it wouldn't work if what she taught me was true.

The entire thing needs to be three dimensional, the runes included. And since runes are geometric they can be. Maybe I should give it a try? Since magic circles need more volume with more runes having more volume in a sphere could make the circle smaller, and thus more efficient.

I closed my eyes and imagine Nymphaya's spell, contrasting it virtually in my mind. I then start breaking it down into its components and reconstructing it in a proper sphere.

"Umm, Lilly? What are you doing?" Nymphaya tried to get my attention. "You aren't doing what I think you are doing right?"

I make the runes three dimensional and put them in the outer layer of the sphere. The hardest part were the interconnecting lines, I would mostly have to rebuild them from scratch as they need to go through the sphere, not around them.

It took me almost ten minutes to work out a proper magic sphere and then I put it to the test. A gasp notified me of my success, and I opened my eyes to see the fiery spell I've yet to discharge it.

"You actually did it! You completed my spell! How? Wait, keep this circle conjured, I need to study it!" Nymphaya walked round and round, inspecting every inch of the magic sphere and muttering to herself with a hand on her chin.

"It is significantly smaller, and the runes themselves are also made three dimensional, I would have never thought of doing that. The ends point to the center of the sphere too so it'll concentrate the magic more allowing for a stronger spell with the same amount of mana"

As Nymphaya studied the magic sphere I rebuilt all magic circles I've memorized into magic spheres, although I feel like I could make them better, I don't quite know how to do so just yet, I've got a lot to learn.

{Congratulations! For discovering magic spheres, you've gained 26 levels in Magic Theory! And gained the Archmage, and Sphere Magician titles}

Ok system, what do those do?

{You finally asked me!... ah, well it's not like I really wanted to tell you or anything!

Archmage: System Magic will now automatically include any casting skills you may have and want to use.

Sphere Magician: All magic you have access to will automatically be cast with magic spheres}

___________________________

Aina POV

"Keep running! Your based stats are abysmal! Did you think this was going to be easy? Did you think you were going to go off on an adventure and have fun?! Don't make me laugh! Right now your biggest enemy is your weak base stats! You are your greatest enemy! Run! Run! Run! Get your endurance stat high!" Gokusan kept shouting his 'encouragement'.

Usually, Masato would be overseeing our training today but he had some business that came up suddenly so now we have had Gokusan for the last three days, I miss Masato, he's a lot more gentle even if he's just as ruthless.

We are in the mana layer, a type of subspace wherein time moves ten times faster. We had entered here through an ancient artifact archway, the only one of its kind. From what Masato and Gokusan had said there is an ability that'll let you phase into or out of the mana layer on your own, but very few monsters have ever been reported to have such an ability. And wouldn't you guess it, one of our targets has such an ability.

It's honestly quite powerful. At any time in the middle of a fight, you can just waltz right in here, take a break to recharge your mana and a minute later, ten for you, you can pop back in refreshed. Of course, our target would have such a broken ability, wouldn't want to make it easy on us!

Rants aside, the entire class has been under hellish training for about a month now. About three days in normal time. And what have we been doing all this time? Push-ups, sit-ups, and running, and no air conditioning. Maybe a little bit more, but in essence, all we've been doing is training up our base stats.

It's quite important though, since the system multiplies our base status, if we raise it the multiplier will go further. Did I forget that Gokusan's aids have a heat spell concentrated on us right now? Yeah, says it's "Training our willpower".

I thought we'd first learn how to fight, but noOoo, we are "weak pansy kids" according to Gokusan, that bastard! I swear these former heroes are trying to kill us!

"We'll only do ten days of stat training," they said. "It'll be over before you know it," they said. Fucking liers! Sure we'll do ten days of stats training... Of normal days! We aren't even halfway there yet! Only day three my ass!

If you can't tell I'm a little stressed.

I feel like I'm in the hyper-whatsit time chamber! Well, I kinda am.

After stat training, some mages would teach us magic theory. I still don't get the runes and only memorized a few of them. Masato and Gokusan had to cheat and use scrolls because they couldn't do it either. They are kinda regarded as muscle heads though, I am determined to beat them in that! I'll learn how to cast magic so I can at least be better than these heroes who are obviously trying to kill us through exhaustion!

After a month I have gotten used to my new aura sight that my true sight gives me and even learned how to decode some of them. Colors and shapes of the aura around people and things seem to depend on many things. A shaking aura means they are lying. A dim one means they are low on mana, well this one is relative, the more mana the brighter the aura.

Colors show moods, it's weird though, it's as if there are many more colors with aura. Some indicate moods but others seem to indicate mental state and another set indicate physical state. If I had to explain it with an analogy I'd say the Infrared spectrum is for the physical state, the visible light spectrum is for emotions, while the ultraviolet spectrum is for mental.

Aura intensity was easy to figure out. It's how strong they are. I think it's related to skill levels or stat multipliers. Either way, the more intense the aura the more likely they are strong.

If I focus on a person or object's aura I can see their system information. It's strange, and still messes with me every time I do it. Like looking at someone then zooming way in to see the double helix of DNA, but for system information instead of genetic information.

Looking around I peek into my classmate's stat sheets. They certainly have grown in stats. The strongest of the class is Niko, who boasts a sixteen in base strength now. Whereas I am at ten, up from eight. Niko's unique ability is [Appraising Eye], which is a merchant based ability. He can see the value of an item. Apparently it changes based on who he wants to sell it to, basically, it shows him what the person will buy or sell at the best value.

The most agile is Sora, her unique ability is [Undetectable] apparently she literally can't be sensed. Masato praised her ability as it directly counters abilities like foe sense, danger sense, and any precognitive ability so long as she is the attacker. The downside is, it has to be her personally, it doesn't extend to thrown or shot projectiles, but knives and swords work as long as she is holding it. Sora has obviously been marked as an assassin type hero.

The one with the most endurance is Yuuto. He's a big softy and wouldn't hurt a fly. His unique ability is [Aura] another powerful ability, he can bolster those around him. In what way? Pretty much any way he wants. Healing aura? Yup. Strengthening aura? Sure can. Aura of hiding? Uhuh. Aura of truth? You betcha. Downside? Only friendlies and only one aura at a time. Yuuto has not been marked for a specific role, but he is encouraged for a leadership role.

The smartest in class is Daido, his [Virtual Reality] lets him precast spells then conjure them at a later date. It is unknown the extent of how many can be stored but no two spells can be the same. He's been marked as a mage hero

The one with the highest wisdom stat is... me! And with my bookworm title apparently I can read and comprehend magic circles in an instant, provided I know what the rune does. If I am unfamiliar with it I'd read the rune but not know it's meaning. I too have been marked as a mage hero. But I have also been marked for a rogue type hero, a scout to be specific. I can freely choose between the roles or even be both, an information mage. I am encouraged to learn clairvoyance spells and spells to aid in sneaking. Masato has even praised me as one of the most important heroes because I can get information on our enemies

The one with the highest charisma is Sara. Her [Wild Princess] works like a perfect taming ability. She was always good with animals, now she can instantly tame them no matter how feral they are. Her limits have not yet been discovered. Naturally, she is considered as a beast tamer. She joked about opening a monster pet shop.

All of a sudden there was a commotion at the entry arch.

"Genkei! You're not allowed in here, you damned pervert!" Masato shouted. He must have just gotten back.

"Eeh? But I'm a former hero too!" Genkei argued

Looks like we get to meet the last remaining former hero. A Priest walked over to the two arguing former heros.

"Honoured Masato, He is the only mage hero left, we brought him here to teach the trainees in the ways of magic" the priest said.

"They're still doing basic stat training and magic theory!" Masato countered.

"Regardless the trainees should get to know Genkei. We don't want problems arising during more stressful times" The priest gave Masato a knowing look. That he didn't say 'honored' when referring to Genkei seemed strange to me.

"Yeah! I need to get to know juniors! Kaida never let me get close to her so this is my chance,! Ah! The young softness" Genkei creepily hugged himself while drooling. Masato clenched his gauntleted fist and punched Genkei, sending him flying several meters.

"You will maintain a three-meter distance at all times!" Masato warned, "Or you will get a beating of a lifetime am I understood!?"

"Guh! Look, don't touch. Got it..." coughing, Genkei raised a thumb.

"Can't believe I leveled my [Pervert Radar] from that disgusting display" Masato muttered.

Masato called for everyone to gather. He stood next to Gokusan and Genkei. Masato had a hand on the shoulder of Genkei as if to prevent him from leaving his side.

"This is Genkei, AKA, Damned Pervert"

"S-such humiliation in front of so many people!" Genkei started breathing harder as his face flushed red "Ow! Ow! Ow!, you're getting me too hard Masato!" I thought I misheard Genkei as he flinched under Masato's tightening grip.

"You and your stupid innuendos..." Masato muttered.

"It wasn't an innuendo though," Genkei said with an aroused look.

"I think I'm going to vomit!" Masato remarked. "Anyway! If he tries anything with you feel free to castrate him!" Masato said to us. "With that said, he is an accomplished archmage, having even discovered a new type of magic, it won't surprise you though and very few people actually learn it."

"They are doing physical training, Masato! Why aren't they in bloomers! T-this is a cri-" Masato punched Genkei again.

With the introductions over our stat training ended early and Genkei taught us magic theory under the extreme scrutinizing gaze of Masato. Despite Genkei's... Uniqueness he's a really good teacher and way easier to understand when he explains things. Perhaps it's the language barrier? Even though we have a magical translation it doesn't always work well with technical speak, and the words not matching mouth movements always creep me out.

With that our training was made more enjoyable with Masato's and Genkei comedy routine and nothing bad happened under Masato's careful watch.

As a reward for completing the hundred, I mean 'ten', days of basic stat training we were let out of the mana layer for some much needed R&R.

We all moved to a lounge and slumped into the couches, too exhausted and sore to even move. I took this opportunity to examine my own aura. I gained some 'mundane' skills, skills like running and swimming. They don't do much other than increase your stat multiplier.

I wished this system was like those from the fictional stories where having the skills actually increased your ability in said skill, but nope, reality is often disappointing. Other than the mundane skills my base stats have increased a lot. My strength stat is now thirteen, up from eight. Both my agility and endurance also increased and are now at sixteen.

My mental stats saw much less increase. Intelligence only went up by one and charisma by two. My wisdom stayed the same. I suppose all those magic lectures made me smarter? Or maybe it trained my problem-solving? How does one define "Intelligence?" My charisma also increased. Probably like intelligence it's factoring something else. Confidence, maybe?

Masato and Gokusan did say that mental stats are harder to train and that most just level mental skills to get higher multipliers.

As I just finished examining my stats the world shifted suddenly. Looking around I see a circular pearly hall with seven thrones arranged in a semicircle, one for each of the gods each the size of colossal titans.

"Sorry for the abrupt summoning, but there have been some... developments," The god of fate and luck said.

 

 

Sorry for the long delay, ran into some writer's block. Can't guarantee another chapter next week but I'll try to get as much done as I can.

17