Part 7
1.1k 8 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The customer with the air purifier brushed back his thick, brown hair. He smiled and inquired, “Want I should rewind and dial back again?” He nudged a shoulder on the edge of the counter. 

Unintentionally, Korri brushed back a bit of her hair too and adjusted her scrunchie. She shook her head and answered, “No. It’s fine. Could I see your receipt?”

Dee found his customer not nearly so cordial. He poked the counter with his finger as he spoke, “I am disgusted with this establishment. Its products have caused me extreme and undue harm and distress! I am distressed!”

Dee let a long breath go. He reached over to tap the laminated piece of paper. The customer flailed his arms, as though a hornet was attacking him. “I don’t want any of that…horse pucky! I got it over the phone! I’m so sick of it!”

The air purifier customer, as he drew out his receipt, remarked quietly, “I always thought this place was cool…” He turned to Korri to finish the statement with a smile.

The blender customer either didn’t hear or didn’t care. Dee soon asked for his receipt, which only earned a further blast from him. Still, he soon produced the receipt and smacked it on the counter. He held it down with his fingers pinning it, adding, “But I’m not letting this out of my grasp.”

Dee shrugged and leaned over to read around his fingers. It gave the customer’s name as…just “Hargrove”. 

Korri’s receipt also contained just a one-word name.

“Bruce?” She looked up from the receipt to the customer, who gave a cheeky grin as she read the name. 

He responded, with girlish-sounding delight, “It’s like more of a nick…but it’s cool. I cut through the water like a total shark. Not thinking…but knowing. You know?” He tapped his head for emphasis.

Hargrove mashed his hand to his head and looked like he was threatening to tear out what little hair he had left on his head. The cell phone customer leaned back and waited.

Dee released his tenuous grasp on the receipt after reading it thoroughly. He flipped through the catalog and settled on the expected page. Calmly, he inquired, “Did the product not work properly for the prank?”

Hargrove tightened his fingers and moved the blender box. Something rattled around inside. He glared at Dee with an unobstructed view. Bruce turned his head out of curiosity as Korri scooted over for the catalog. With a turn of his arm, Dee passed it to Korri, who immediately began her search.

His face reddening, Hargrove unleashed the words, “This is serious! This product should be illegal.”

Dee set his back straight, rested his hands evenly, and said, without a note of anger, “Sir, this product is a class-5-rated nanotech product. It is incapable of long-term effects. Mental effects are minimal and pre-set with rigid regulatory laws for quality and programming as defined by the Nanotech Control Act of 2002.”

Bruce raised his eyebrows and remarked to Korri, “Your cohort is most wise and righteous…” Korri paused in her skimming only to smile. After a moment, she tracked down the right listing. She read carefully as Bruce craned his neck over the counter and gently tapped his fingers on the air purifier like an oddly-shaped drum.

It was a calming melody over the barely-coherent growl-hissing of Hargrove as he ripped apart Dee’s answer as, “Bullshit!” Dee took it in dispassionate stride. 

Hargrove launched, “If you think it’s so…then you drink from it! In fact, I demand it!” Dee flicked a look at the box. Hargrove yanked the blender out and pressed it on the counter. It was empty but stained with drying fruit pulp.

Dee remarked, “Drink what?”

Hargrove shot, “I brought fruit!”

He upturned the box and oranges and bananas spilled out. One orange rolled away to hide in a corner but most settled on the counter and at Hargrove’s feet.

Dee noted, with his eyebrows raised, “You brought fruit…”

With full, angry enthusiasm, Hargrove said, “Then you’ll see how dangerous this machine really is!”

Bruce took a step away and shook his head. He smiled to the wall then down at Korri as he professed, “Chill…is like the perfect state of mind.  The Dalai Lama would agree. Just…like laugh with friends…laugh with anyone. Just chill…”

Korri absorbed his words. He grinned and asked, “You know what Dalai Lama means?”

Korri paused a moment but shook her head. Bruce answered, with his head gently-rocking as though it were trying to balance on a wave, “Ocean of wisdom. And I know the ocean is the most awesome teacher of wisdom…with all due respect to the Lama.”

With a little bob of her head too, Korri answered back, “Cool.” Then, she cleared her throat and announced, “I have all the information about the item. Could you tell me more about how you…first got it?”

Before Hargrove could begin jamming fruit into the blender, Dee asked him the same. Still, he tore at the skin of the oranges as he explained, “I was betrayed!” He elaborated on that by saying that a “female coworker” spun a web of deceit which ended in him buying this blender for her. Dee’s lips only betrayed the faintest smile. Fortunately, Hargrove was too worked up to notice.

He fanned his hands as he explained that he made juice for the same coworker as she was “present” in his “private office”. However, he wound up drinking it. Hargrove retched that what happened next was “unspeakable”. 

By comparison, Bruce’s background was rather simple.

He’d always been plagued by allergies. Cleaning was incessant. So, he bought an air-filter, understanding that there was a gender-change element. He reiterated what he’d said to Korri at first. It was a fine product but the changes were mounting.

Korri referred back to the catalog and noted, “The changes are temporary.”

Bruce nodded. “I figured. I mean it would’ve said something on the side, right?”

Korri nodded back and added, “It has state-save nanites. The stronger the airflow…the greater the effects. You turn it off and the state-save nanites…under their own power… undo the physical changes over a few hours.”

Bruce scratched his cheek and asked, “So…if I don’t turn it on for the rest of the day…my voice will go back to normal?” Korri confirmed and added, “This should be in the directions but this maker is notorious for keeping all that a surprise. I’ve sold some of their stuff before. They’re benign but kinda like ‘being a woman is a mind-opening experience’ in their philosophy. They’ll put temporary changes into all sorts of products. At least they’re not Nuhaizi Corp.”

Bruce chewed on his lip and said, “I admit…I dig the filter. It’s made my life like ‘ahh’. It’s kinda trippy to sound like this but I never was too agro and possessive about my facial hair. And I admit I’m kinda ‘hmmm’ how it’ll go on full. Will I be a chick for a few hours?”

Korri looked down and answered back, “If the nanites are fully-active for many hours…they’ll fully clean an entire house and change one person in the house. It also provides a…fresh ocean smell.”

Bruce chuckled. “It sounds all sorts of swell if you don’t go ape over a change of being. So, how does it feel being turned into a total babe?”

Korri’s back straightened. She stammered and Bruce smirked. He gave a little wave and explained, “Just a guess. No stress. Am I right?”

A nod followed Korri quietly swallowing. 

On the other side of the counter, Dee’s patience was wearing thin as Hargrove wrapped himself up in an endless digression that involved the shameless deregulation of nanotech for products and the immorality of gender changes before coming back around to his experience. 

“I was disgraced! I was turned into something…unnatural. The fact that a company can make a profit from such is a shame. Well! I’m just glad I’m seeing so many returns to bleed this place out of business!”

Dee interjected softly, “Returns have dwindled in recent months and account for a tiny fraction of the overall company budget.”

Hargrove shot out a finger. “And how do you know that!”

Dee stared down the finger. “I work here. I care about this store and I don’t waste my time on pursuing self-gratification when a…coworker tries to do something to me…no matter their reasons.” Korri glanced at Dee. He looked gently calm.

With his whole body shaking, Hargrove tore open the fruit and slammed it into the blender. He flew about. He shoved the plug into the wall. The other customer scooted his chair away cautiously. 

Hargrove willed the fruit to blend. When it was mixed, he threw off the top and aimed the pitcher at Dee. Korri knew what Dee would do. She could see his next actions in her mind. 

She felt stunned as Dee accepted the mixture from Hargrove and took a generous sip. Her shock kept ringing as Bruce gave a little wave in front of her eyes to break the trance. She wanted to relate to Bruce her experience but she couldn’t break herself from the possibility that the one man who seemed he would never be changed…was about to get his first transformation.

Moments passed. 

Hargrove showed his teeth and stared down at his watch. He looked between it and Dee. His impatience grew. He urged Dee, “Drink the rest!” With a sigh, Dee set the pitcher back on the blender and told Hargrove, “It won’t work on me. Wanna know why? Because you bought it. It’s encoded to you. That’s part of the prank. You may have intended to use it on others, but it will only ever work on you.”

His teeth showing even more, Hargrove shook his head. He seized the pitcher, intent on showing this little nothing clerk that he was wrong. 

He drained the last of the mixture. 

Moments passed.

Hargrove seemed ready to say something. Then he gave a loud and rippling belch. He swooned and put a hand out to steady himself against the counter. Dee leaned back in his chair. Everyone turned to watch as his suit brightened into a pink outfit with purple flowers across it.

The sleeves and pants flowed inwards. His pants fanned out like the bottom of a dress and his sleeves vanished to reveal a thick strap on his bare shoulder. Already, his skin was smooth and he was shrinking several inches. 

Shock barely had time to register on his features. Dark hair spilled past his shoulders. His bust shaded over the top of his dress. His body flowed within the garment. With a quick gasp, the new woman, who looked to be in her late teens, smiled and cried for glee. The customer in the back stroked his chin.

She twirled in place and hugged herself as she announced, “I’m a girl again!”

After a few more twirls, she stopped and faced Dee. Slowly, her head bowed and revealed a contrite expression. With earnest words, she said, “I am so sorry. I was a mean man. I didn’t mean to yell at you. That was bad. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings.”

Squeezing her hands together, the young girl poured out every apology she could imagine. She apologized to Korri and Bruce and the man with the cell phone. 

Once that all flowed out, she pressed her hands together and softly said, “I hate being a mean old man. I want to be cute. I want to laugh. I want to make other people laugh. Please…before it wears off…do something to make this permanent. I don’t ever want to go back. I want to stay this way….please PLEASE!” Her eyes begged Dee and they searched Korri.

Dee held firm even as Korri glanced at the return bin. He nudged his chair to block Korri’s line of sight to it.

With a sigh and a firm look, Dee declared, “No. I’m not going to do that.”

With a little girl whimper, the customer asked, “Why not?”

“It’s not my job.” He folded his arms like a mountain and sat there.

The girl begged him over and over until something caught in her throat and she belched again. She doubled over and tried to clasp her mouth shut. With another long belch, her entire body swelled out into her former shape, balding head and all.

Hargrove stood there for a dazed moment before yelling, “You tricked me!!” Dee did his best to avoid plugging his ears. He reminded the customer what he’d just said. 

The customer leaned way over the counter and intoned, “I’ll go over your head, you little shit! I’ll go right to your boss. I will make you pay!”

Dee looked perfectly relaxed as he inserted his words between the venom, “You really don’t want to do that.” Korri nodded. Dee stretched one of his arms above his head.

Hargrove looked ready to vault over the counter. “WHY NOT?!”

Dee noted, “She’s quirky.”

Again, Hargrove looked dazed. Dee sighed and leaned forward. “Trust me. I know her. I am the person you want to deal with.”

Hargrove shook his head and glared down Dee. “No. You don’t mean shit…”

Dee coolly looked back. “You can find her office in the back of the store. Follow the red strip.” Korri gulped.

The customer gathered up everything of his and stomped out.

Dee shook his head and said to the seated man, “Next, please…”

Bruce remarked to Korri, “This boss of yours sounds totally fierce.”

Korri smiled politely. “It’s not that. She’s just uh…that guy’s attitude won’t go over well around her.”

Dee reiterated, “Sure won’t.”

Korri laid her hands across her area. In her thoughts, she came back to Bruce’s question. She dug her fingers into the material of the desk as the moments passed. 

Bruce stretched his shoulders and asked, “You mind if I hang back for a few?”

“Sure…I mean...Go ahead.”

With the air filter tucked under his arm, Bruce settled into one of the chairs. The other customer gingerly laid his cell phone on the counter and took a sideways step. He gave his mustache one more quick brush before he spoke.

“I’m having a bit of a problem with this phone.” He rustled around in his slacks for his folded receipt. Dee glanced at the cell phone and cautiously used his tongs to look at the receipt. The customer name was given as “Jared Andrews”. 

Before Dee could address the customer, a ringtone blared on the phone. Korri thought the tone sounded familiar, in a pop tune sort of way. The customer gave a jerk but his hand automatically reached over to grab the cell phone and bring it to his ear.

As soon as the phone touched his ear, a change rushed over his body. His mustache vanished from his face and his hair turned long and deeply dark. Two dense locks landed on his chest. His bushy eyebrows became slender and thick. His lips, accented by his a narrow, soft face, pouted out.

The customer’s size dwindled but his clothes clung tightly to him. The hand gripping the phone narrowed. One of his slender arms rested at his hip. His clothes transformed as well. The slacks slid up his legs, becoming a pair of black cotton short-shorts that clung and only reached a hand’s length down her thigh.

The checkered shirt shifted to a sky blue top with a low neckline. The sleeves ended high on her arms and clung to her body. She shifted to her left leg, which accented the girlish slope of her hip. Her chest showed a prominent bump as hoop earrings hung from her ears and a fashionable hat appeared on her head. 

The customer’s skin tone became a tanned shade darker. With her shoulders slightly drooping, she spoke into her phone and said, without enthusiasm, “Hello?”

She listened and everyone in the room watched. The customer answered, “Yes. I made it. Yes…I’m going to deal with it now. Okay? Honey? Yeah. You did call it. So…yeah. No nooo…I’m not saying it’s your fault. It’s not Bridgy’s fault either. Honey?....And I can’t deal when you go off on tangents and…But I’m taking care of it. It’s fine. Okay…okay. And I’ll pick up some toothpaste and…products…sure. I’m really looking forward to that….” She gave a quick little roll of her eyes. “I know…I know. It was all my idea. Tell Bridgy I love her….yeah. Okay…that’s not helping. Hanging up now…” She clicked the phone with a blue, glossy-nailed finger then sighed. 

The customer squeezed her waist. Bruce looked on from his seat with wide eyes. Korri found herself not as surprised as she expected. Dee folded his hands below his mouth as he said, “I assume what just happened is part of your problem.”

The customer fussed with her hair and nodded. “Part of it. I mean I knew that buying this phone would turn me into a teenage girl. That was the point. My step-daughter Bridget always says I don’t understand her so I wanted to…ya know…kinda put myself in her shoes. I picked a very basic plan for the phone and set everything up. I then used it to turn into a girl about Bridget’s age.”

Korri passed the catalog back to Dee, who made a few notes and prepared himself by flipping to the phones section of the catalog. He noted the model number etched on the side of the phone. Korri and Bruce both edged closer.  

The customer leaned her elbows on the counter and continued, “I used it just once but it was really informative. Bridget and Donna, my wife, were not very into it. But then Bridget called me on the phone and something went wrong. I turned into a different teenage girl. Then my business line started getting routed to the phone as well. Now, every single call I get turns me into a different girl until I enter a code on the cell to undo it. And I totally get like a hundred calls a day…” 

Korri automatically winced. Dee nodded and searched a page of the catalog with his finger. After a moment, he said, “Did you try pulling the battery?”

The customer nodded. “I thought it worked at first too. But it didn’t. It’s become sooo crazy.”

Dee tapped his teeth with his fingers and mulled, “That’s peculiar…”

The customer clutched her arms and asked, “Yeah…but is there like a way to fix it?”

Dee waited a moment before asking, “Do you remember which plan you picked for the phone?” The customer bowed her head and her hair slipped down around her face. She asked, “Isn’t it on the receipt?”

Scratching his cheek, Dee carefully looked over the receipt. The plan for the phone was not given. He returned to the catalog and even poked open his black book. After several moments of poking, he shook his head and admitted, “I’m at a loss. I’ve recently read the information packets for cell phones. They’re locked into a single unit. And if you can undo it then it is working correctly….the problem has got to be in the programming.”

The customer looked over at the cell phone and asked, “Single unit?”

Dee nodded and skimmed over the back pages of the catalog. “It’s a hardware thing. All nanites are constructed with three absolute rules in place. One, they can only copy themselves a generous but limited number of times. Two, they can only operate in a limited set of criteria….which I also think is too generous… Three, they may never harm a living thing. It’s physically-crafted into every nanite ever made. Even rogue nanites that float around with confusing instructions.  It’s why the planet hasn’t collapsed into a pile of goo. Your phone is programmed with nanites that only operate with your phone. If the phone is damaged…they die off. If the phone is deactivated…they die off. They need this phone to operate. But…” Dee paused and skipped back a few pages. 

His eyes blazed over the text, until they stopped in one place. He looked up at the customer and asked, “You said you have a business line…how many lines do you have overall?”

The customer quickly said, “Three. We have like the family line for all normal calls. We have a line for my daughter. And…then there’s the business line.”

Dee clutched his mouth with his hand as Korri watched him work. She’d only seen him on the job a handful of times but had never seen him this focused. She felt a bit of concern by osmosis.

Then, in a moment, Dee’s eyes relaxed. He calmly asked, “How many lines did you get these transforming calls from…I mean…did you transform when you used the family phone or your daughter’s line?”

The teenage girl furrowed her brow and sighed. Dee watched her intently. After a moment, she shook her head and announced, “You know what…it was only on the business line. I didn’t use the house phone at all and my daughter would never let me use her line.”

All the tension passed from Dee as he answered, “Whoever registered your phone messed up…or the registration was incomplete. Did you give your business number for the registration?”

The girl quickly nodded. All the pieces were coming together for Dee. He continued, “The phone saw your number listed the same as your business line, so that tells the nanites it's okay to jump onto that one, even for energy. It’s a messy loophole in rule two and it represents a lot of my problems in one big pile.”

Dee was back in control. He guided the customer through registering the phone. This time she was given a provisional number for the line. Dee added, “Now, you can set a particular form instead of getting a demo each time.”

When it was all done, even Bruce nodded his head. The customer entered the undo command and swiftly reverted to his older, original body. 

Dee folded his hands and looked up at the customer, who set the phone down and asked, “Does this mean the nanites on my business line will die off?”

With a shift in his chair, Dee noted, “The nanites transferred to the other phone when you were near. Now they should only keep to this phone.”

The customer looked down at the phone, sighed, and inquired, “Is there a way I can just return it?”

Dee looked over at the phone and nodded. “I can assure you the phone will work correctly now but, if you feel that way…I can refund you the cost of the phone. For the minutes used and the plan, you’ll need to speak with the company that holds your service plan.”

The customer pushed the phone away and said, “I have been hundreds of young women in the last few days. It was disconcerting…No. Disconcerting doesn’t even begin to describe it. And I’m feeling quite tired of it. Each made me feel a different way. Mostly self-conscious. I have a fair sense of what Bridget has to go through. I get the idea. Now, I need to be her dad again.”

Dee picked the phone up with the tongs. Carefully, he took the battery out. He then tossed the phone into the returns bin.

Once Dee had completed everything for the refund, the customer quietly left. 

Bruce looked like he was slowly drifting in his chair. Dee cocked an eye at him and asked, “Did you need something else?” He then turned a gaze to Korri, who looked reflective.

Bruce set his air filter down and answered, “Well, I was speaking to your most-awesome cohort and I was thinking about how it would feel to turn from male to female.”

Dee pressed his lips together and announced, “Gotcha. Feel free to continue that conversation.”

Bruce leaned forward. “You are most welcome to offer your wisdom as well. I’m absorbing it all. My only real experience comes from the usual places and from some dreams I've had and self-interpreted.”

Korri’s eyes widened. “You can interpret dreams?” Dee gave a long and curious look in Korri’s direction. 

Bruce gave her a smiling nod. “I’m not a pro but I have spent time immersing myself in study as well as the ocean. I take the idea of the Renaissance Man in the modern age to heart.” He held his hands out like he was cradling a pair of imaginary eggs. Korri could imagine him sitting there in a Zen position. Dee could only wonder what kind of regular employment this man had.

Korri pressed her teeth together a bit. She really didn’t want to give any particulars in front of Dee. It would be far too embarrassing. Instead, she asked, “How does one typically interpret a dream?”

Bruce bowed his head and rocked his legs. “Well…that depends totally on who you read. If you like the original Freud with his cigar or if you’re Jung at heart…it all depends.” Dee conceded a little snort and Korri smiled as she listened.

He continued, “Freud would say like…your dreams are you acting out all the stuff you really want to do but which you say ‘no way’ and censor out. So like…I have these dreams where I’m naked and flying. I don’t even know I’m wishing that. And I can’t even understand it. I think there’s a lot of free-association but I’m more a passing scholar of that. You gotta pick out what’s important and what’s like white noise. The flow from the little eddies. You know?”

Korri cradled her head. She held herself from blushing at the idea of kissing Dee as a suppressed wish. Korri gave a little nod.

Bruce held up a finger and added, “Buuuut…there’s also Jung and all sorts of stuff that just blows my mind. Like…every man has a feminine, inner personality. An anima. And there’s an opposite for girls. Like a flooowing wave of yin and yang. Then, there’s the shadow. And that’s like…all your hidden feelings and weaknesses. It gets bigger the more you don’t show them and that’s all around in your unconscious head. Like, part of my shadow would be a fear of drowning. I don’t consciously feel it when I’m in the water but I can put together that it’s there. It’s like all this animal stuff. And it comes out when you dream as all sorts of symbols. But Jung thought that what literally happened in the dream mattered. But it may not mean what you think…”

This made Korri feel a little better. She wondered whether she should buy a dream book as she tried to tease out more dream details from her memories. Beach. Lockers. She remembered the mirror and the transformation well. Pink bikini. Then Dee…he was getting manlier and she was getting girlier. She felt all sorts of ecstasy for him. And the end…

She noticed she was getting a little sweaty. She flapped her top and coughed as she said, “Any other ways?”

Bruce rocked his head and scooted his chair closer to Korri. “Those are the whales of psychology. Others…it’s like…more manifestation of your thoughts or it’s a self-warning about your future.”

Korri hid a grimace about that. Dee pressed a finger to his chin and noted, “Well…if you want to simplify it…” He gave his chair a tiny nudge in Korri’s direction.

Bruce shrugged. “I just try to get at the big ideas.”

Korri nodded back and said, “That’s cool. I haven’t taken a prerequisite psych class yet. I guess it would mean more after that.”

Bruce and Dee facing Korri formed a diminishing right angle as Dee gave his chair a little nudge closer and said, “Current research has suggested dreams are just test reactions to potential dangers. Animals deprived of them respond less automatically to predators.”

Bruce seemed more intrigued by this information than Korri as he remarked, “Really? Wow. Guess we’re mostly wild animals under it all.” 

Korri clutched the mass of her hair in her hands and stood. She looked between Dee and Bruce. They both edged their chairs back. Her gaze rested on Bruce a moment before she said, “That’s a lot to think about. But you have a lot to think about too. You asked me what it’s like to be a…girl. I haven’t really had a shortage of experiences. This is my tenth time as a girl.”

Bruce emphasized a silent “wow” with his mouth in an O-shape then asked, “I bet you’ve had a lot of interesting experiences.” Korri leaned on the desk and peered across the counter at Bruce. She wiggled her mouth a bit in contemplation before remarking, “The first couple of times were interesting and good for a laugh. One lasted longer than I wanted and made things…complicated. When you reach double-digits…there are days when I feel like I automatically should be wearing a bra, when I don’t feel like myself anymore.” Dee stared off at some papers but his eyes occasionally flicked towards Korri.

Bruce dipped his head down and said evenly, “I feel ya. Man, there are days like that without nano-anything….I love the ocean. It reveals but it also consumes. You see…the absolute all around you. And that absolute is just a little part of everything. Makes you ask the big questions all at once. But it also gives some answers.”

Korri lowered herself back into her chair as she asked, “What kind of answers?”

Bruce shrugged. “An answer doesn’t work for everyone. But…I like…you know that quote…’I am large, I contain multitudes’. Totally out of context but I think like…each person is a multitude. Like the ocean…little bits all adding up. So no matter what, I feel like…whoever I am, I’m always me.” Bruce rocked and gestured with his hands to the ground.

Korri dropped her head and repeated to herself, “I’m always me…” She didn’t really get it. But she felt something with the words. She felt a little less adrift. 

Bruce smirked and added, “It’s a good reminder but I still get lost some days and need to hunt for the shore.” His voice sounded as girlish as ever but Korri had gotten used to it to the point where she didn’t find it out of the ordinary. 

After a thoughtful silence, Bruce laughed lightly as he said, “I’m sorry. I should really be asking you for advice…”

Korri waved her hands. “No no. Don’t worry about it. I just wish I had more to offer. I’m kinda lost in it all. I mean…it depends on the body. With this one…right now… my back could so use a massage…”

Bruce stood and stretched his fingers in front of him. “If you would so kindly oblige me, I’ve been told I give a wicked awesome muscle rubdown to those who have been through the liquid wringer.”

This time, Dee turned around. Korri looked at Bruce. She figured he probably gave great back rubs. She took a breath and said, calmly, “No. Thank you for your offer but no.”

Bruce lowered his hands and bowed his head, “Understood like crystal. I hope you get a nice spot of relaxation when your shift is done.”

Dee cleared his throat and looked between Korri and Bruce. Korri gave a quick nod as she said, “It’s not too far off now. I think…” She cupped her cheeks and shook her head. “All I can really offer you is…I guess it’s worth giving it a shot at least once. If you have any complaints or problems, that’s why we’re here.”

Bruce scooped up his air filter and smiled. “Righteous.” The tone of his voice deepened a little to a more-androgynous level. He coughed and remarked, “Whoa. Much better. Doesn’t sound like I got boxed in the groin anymore.” Korri gave a smirk and nodded. 

Bruce met Dee’s gaze and gave a slow smile as he said, “Hmm…”

Dee blinked back at him and asked, “What?”

The oscillating, industrial fan gave a tremble and there was a far-off beeping sound. Bruce clung to the quiet moment. Korri sat up as Bruce remarked, “Nothing. Just had an interesting thought, that’s all. An awesome evening to the both of you. Thanks.”

Dee made no gesture except to look back at Bruce. Korri waved goodbye. With a flowing wave, Bruce left. 

Dee leaned back in his chair and remarked, “Whole lot of nothing.”

Korri folded and leaned her arms on the table as she said, “I dunno. He seemed like a really interesting guy.”

Dee leaned away. “A patron of Buddhism, surfin’, psychology, and whatever else that came together there…”

Korri leaned away too. “And I know more about him than a certain co-worker. I could’ve asked to hang out with him.”

Dee’s eyes searched Korri as he responded, “You didn’t. You didn’t even go for a massage.” Korri cast her eyes down and touched her neck under her long hair. “So? What’s it to you?”

Dee held a shrug. “Absolutely nothing.”

Korri pressed her fingers on her desk. “He was a cool guy. He didn’t even care that I’m a dude normally…and…”

Dee picked up the word Korri left hanging, lowered his head, and repeated, “And…”

Korri shook her head with a sigh and gruffly said, “Whatever…” She stood and worked her way around to lean on the other side of the counter. She looked back at Dee. He seemed unbothered by the token distance she put between them. She nudged her way to the edge of the counter till the end poked her in the small of her back. Korri leaned there despite how much it ached. 

All was silent save the oscillating fan until Dee remarked, without preamble, “Do you want to file your own daily report?”

Korri leaned away from the corner. “I have to include the housewares department stuff…so yeah. The boss wanted me to hand-deliver it as well so she could talk to me before I leave.”

Dee nodded then shuffled a couple of papers. The silence above the white noise of the fan began to bother Korri more than the end of the counter poking her. The fan flipped around little locks of her hair. She stood there until the words came out, “I dreamed about you…”

She tried to curl her lips in to pull back the words she’d said. She could hear Dee’s pen on a sheet of paper freeze in place. He gave a “hmm” to no one in particular and remarked, “I never realized I was that scary.”

Korri dug her under-moistened lips into her teeth as she said, “It’s nothing. It was a dream.”

Dee reminded her with a calm glance, “Your dream.”

At that moment, a phone buzzed like a smothered motorboat on Dee’s side of the partition. He reached over and answered it. He said a cursory greeting then listened. He tipped the phone away from his ear and covered the mouthpiece as he said to Korri, “It’s for you.”

She picked up the phone and tried to bend away from Dee but the cord brought her close. She listened a moment before straightening in surprise. She shot back with, “No! No! Say he’s not here! He’s not here!...ARG!…” She set the phone on the table and glanced at the bending hallway.

Korri grit her teeth and looked around furtively. She cursed and bolted around the counter. She looked under the desk and said, “There’s enough room to hide…” Her eyes flicked up to the hallway just in time to hear a door flutter open. Her heart throbbed at the sound. She couldn’t will her body under before footsteps sounded through the hallway.

With a gulp, Korri watched as a woman emerged through the hallway bend and into the room. She tried to hide any moment of recognition of the woman’s face or her short, midnight-blue tinted hair.

Her glasses were narrow ovals on a silvery frame. Her eyes were a shade of blue that complimented her hair and matched the color of Korri’s eyes. Korri knew she was exactly forty-two because she’d proclaimed it mightily for the last three months. Her slim, gray t-shirt displayed a faded Triforce symbol on the front. 

She turned and faced the two of them with her hands on the hips of her jeans. Her gaze immediately traveled to Korri. With a shake of her head, she said, “Again, Jeffrey? Didn’t you turn into a girl just last week? Honestly.”

Korri waited as long as she could before asking, “What are you doing here?”

The older woman frowned and asked back, “Don’t you remember?…I said I would stop by before my night class to see how you were.”

A little memory came back for Korri. Unenthusiastically, she nodded, “Yeah, mom.” 

With a peer through her glasses and a shake of her head, the older woman noted, “…Korri? Dear. You do realize how that sounds with your last name, right?”

Korri let out a nod. “Yeah…mom. It’s not like I picked it myself.”

“I suspected as much, otherwise it would be Cindi something. I actually considered something with a K, if you were born a girl.”

“I know, mom…”

Dee leaned forward and said, “Hello.”

The older woman smiled and offered her hand. “Hello there! Dee Wright…right? Mitchell at the front told me where to find this department and everything. I’m…Korri’s mom, Regina Morrey. Nice to meet you.”

29