40 Realizing Weaknesses & Bargaining
209 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Continuing from the last chapter.....

<Tokito POV>

 

      Satisfied, Nahalee and Aukai hug me warmly. Returning their affection we become absorbed in our own little world, but the reunion's short-lived; three coughs echo, reminding me we’re not alone.

Glass lady snaps her finger, “Excuse me rude guest, but could you hurry up. We can’t accompany you forever." She taps her glass feet impatiently against the stone floors, a ding sounds with each movement. "Our attention is fleeting, so dress fast. Once done, Bert will escort you to our study.” Upon explicating her displeasure, the three elementals vanish in a plume of smoke.

 With the strangers gone, Nahele and Aukai slowly release me to explore the rooms facilities, unafraid of the old man left behind.

Certain the old man wouldn’t touch the children, I leisurely change into my shirt and mask, but felt no comfort. Maybe it was the unfamiliar sweat inducing environment or the fact a complete stranger undressed me without permission. But my body involuntarily shudders and quivers in anxiety.  No matter how I changed, everything I wore felt uncomfortable.

Annoyed, I trace my clothes for any weird substances, but discover nothing out of place. This queasiness more than likely came from within than out.

It was at this time, I knew, I fucked up.

My mind runs rampant revaluating the last two days and fumble back onto the massage table in finding my conclusion ….….What’s going on?! Sutra’s Gods are manipulative assholes, Belace has gone AWOL, I wished up kids with mango face, then run into a gang base! Now I’ m forced to complete these dumb missions or face some unknown punishments. Worse, my decisions in the last few days aren’t ones I’d usually make. My lack of medication, shouldn't change my personality! Fuck! What’s screwing my logic and reason-?!  In a split moment, my thoughts steers to a particular naggy god. But recalling a dumb sermon outside an undead dungeon rapidly cools my oncoming raging headache. Will that snarky wannabe parent cooperate or snap again? .... Whelp. Grandpa said the only stupid questions are ones left unasked, soooo… My wits slightly ease. I dress back into my grey sleeveless shirt and tigen mask headdress, thinking how I should broach Calamity for clarification on my bazaar behavior.

 Meanwhile, Nahele and Aukai-- long bored exploring-- searched for the cause of steam. As if to answer, a crackle sounds in the befogged brick room. A bucket of water titled over a hearth of hot stones sits in a corner, ready to heighten the temperature at second notice. Being young, the children-unaware of the danger to their yet undeveloped skills- decided to play with the tools.

Aukia seizes a pair of tongs laying slanted against the hearth, while Nahele stood behind---hands wide—eager to study the stone. Before the tongs were licked by the flickering flames though, a piercing twinge scorched the children’s necks. Twisting around , they uncover a gaze of fascination from the old man, for he never witnessed wish elementals so curious or childiesh during his servitude. And like children caught eating out the cookie jar, Nahele and Aukai drop everything in embarrassment and scampers to the back of my legs. Perfectly timed too as I just composed my clothes.

 ……

Bert escorts Tokito, Nahele and Aukai from the relaxing sauna corridor into a clean underground building.  As a prudent guide, Bert shows the young guest to the vast libraries and item shops before bringing them to the wish elementals. Casually observing the open space and elevating floors, Tokito sights crowds shopping in a familiar mall setting. Unsurprisingly, none of the stores intrigued Tokito or the kids and the stench of the elevated food courts nauseated them. Seeing the guest dissatisfied, Bert diverts to a clear path into to a narrow hallway.

Nearing a beautifully decorated jewel door Bert apologizes in place of his masters, “I’m terribly sorry for the commotion ’till now, but you must understand: due to the peace, we hardly see wishful company visit this hub. It may not be obvious, but at one point in time wish elementals and servants flocked from all corners of the world to relax or study here. But due to the the peace, the gradual absence of wishlings has deeply unnerved my masters. So when they sensed you, the master and mistresses wanted to welcome you themselves.”  Tokito’s fist clenches hard with each word said, drilling his nails into his palms skin till he bleed.

..That was a welcoming?! Lōlō. Ua manaʻo wau ua loaʻa wau i ka poʻe mākaʻikaʻi pō. Wait! They sensed him. Those bloody wish elementals knew he was here the entire time and he didn’t?! Why couldn’t he sense them? What’s the point of having so many skills if they don’t work?!

Tokito promptly calms down as the old man knocks the jewel door, then hastily dismisses himself thereafter. Rattled by his actions, Tokito broods over whether to take the kids, accept the damn mission punishment, and beat it out of here before something stupid happens. But as he steps back, the words, ““enter”” “retne” ring loudly into the hall. The door snaps open, and before Tokito could curse a storm of profanities at the gods, a strong force pulls the young bunch into its bright light.

 

……

   

 Talk about ‘Don’t go towards the light!’ I shield my head, granting my senses time to adjust. I guess now is the best chance to ask for advice. ‘Uuuummm, Calamity?’

It responds, ‘…Yes Tokito?’ cold aura emits from Calamitys attentive eye.  

 Looking down, I inquire, ‘Do you know why I’m acting weird?’ My eyes stray further to a pillow covered floor.

‘….It’s due to your insufficient use of chaos energy.’ Calamity sneers, ‘Until you learn to control chaos properly your psyche will remain erratic.’

‘.........…And you didn’t think to tell or teach me about this---- because?’ I bitterly counter, picking up a feint trace of music.

‘… I won’t teach what you can’t learn Tokito!’ the god addresses his short comings, ‘other than a few past emergencies, you’ve basically shunned magic and mana skills. And despite your gift privileges-- not a hint of your average skill has neared the maxed limit!’ Hitting every sore spot within Tokito's soul, it groans dog tired of trying to teach this stubborn headed fool. Slightly spent, Calamity yells one last time , ‘Chaos should not be dealt with light heartedly! So if you really want to learn, negotiate for it!’

Hearing Calamities appealing proposal, I speak in a soft fervent tone, ‘….Would you help me negotiate-’

‘No,’ several thousand voices briskly interrupt, virtually breaking Tokitos' mental eardrums, ‘I’ll translate what the Majin says, but that’s it.’ Calamity ends the lecture as Tokito's senses finally settle.

The entirety periphery sights a dimly lit cozy space that’s been decorated with the most expensive of taste, as stitched linen draped the walls and book cases and heavy garnish silks hung from the ceiling and desk. My vision draws to the interiors center, where the three colorful strangers are relaxing in beautiful embroidered hammocks.

Seeing the kids and I have adjusted, the three motion us to come near. But having crossed their eccentric behavior I stepped no closer. Cloud lady is the first to break the awkward silence; I guess she saw how much I distrusted them as I’d crossed arms.

“Please, please come sit,” she motions to a piles of pillows sacks, “Sorry for not offering food or wine, but there was no notice to expect your visit.” 

The other two elementals remain quiet, waiting. Since I’ve already got a bit on their bad side, me and the children reluctantly cooperate, sit down on the pillowy bean bags, distraught. 

“Everyone’s comfy, yes, yes?” She claps excitedly, “then to business!” Cloud lady balloons into a cirrostratus.

 ‘Huh? Isn’t that too easy?’ I inquire while failing to sit up properly from my seat.

‘Quabet, remember?’ Calamity remarks, ‘You should be grateful these people are skipping the formalities. Especially since they have the right to make you wait hours or years for assaulting them in their territory. And despite your rude behavior, your host won’t take it personally since they view you as nothing but a weak child…. Now pay attention before you actually get in more trouble.’

Tokito’s eyes snaps to glass lady as she pulls something from her hand.

Spinning hot glass between her fingers, glass lady questions, “Tell us wishling, what’s brought you to us?” She examines me while blowing a gravity defying glass bubble. “For such a strong chaotic emission, you mustn’t fear fading. So there must be something else you desire, yes?”

Curving away from straying molten bubbles, Tokito whispers, “I need info.”

The light music, hot bubbles, and cloud lady’s lofty shenanigans freezes mid air.

The almost forgotten skirt guy unexpectedly sits up smiling, and almost scare the shit out of Tokito as his row of white pearly teeth spews nonsense, “?rehsiw ruoy si erehW !kaew er’uoy rednow oN” Calamity translates backwards for Tokito.

I shake my head in answer “Know little of father… can you teach chaos?”

 Roughly solid enough to touch, Cloud lady stands to face me, “The price will be different for each of us, is that fine?” she breathes hard causing puffs of smoke to flare from her nostrils.

… He aha kāu e hoʻomākalakala nei? And Back up before I get lung cancer from that stinky breath of yours. Not wanting to show weakness, I sit absolutely still and breathes back “No children.”

What Tokito didn’t realize was that he made a grave mistake that no wisher should ever make. The more desperate one was the fewer the conditions a wisher made. The three wish elementals misunderstood; thought he was willing to pay almost any price. The three congregate to the library debating what to material to trade, leaving Tokito and his young behind.

Calamity decides to prepare Tokito, says aloud, “Your hosts will most likely task you with chores or ask for chaos energy in return for their knowledge. ” Shocked at hearing Calamity’s voices, the children  depart from their cushions to investigate the strange being wrapped around my neck.

Like the little minxes Nahele and Aukai climb my arms, and as I watch them, my mind recalls a certain complaining mousy tame that’s been quiet for a while. “where’s ele’ele?” I ask as I find him nowhere in sight.

“Really Tokito? Did you just notice your tames missing…” Calamity eyes begins to glow red, but as if giving up, instantly turns to a light blue. “We don’t have time for argument or lectures, so just hurry and summon it.”

“How-”~ Tokito

“Evoke the taming link and order ele’ele to your side.” Calamity cuts me off, agitated by Aukai  insistently poking its tentacles from my shoulder.

Tokito follows the gods instruction and summons a trembling frightened ele’ele.

“M-m-master! Waaah!” Ele’ele flies onto Tokito’s head, not realizing its still has the bag of vomit and jewels in its paws, smacking hard against his face discharging a putrid smell.

Revolted, Tokito rips the bag off and nearly flings it across the room, but instantly an idea stops his actions. He devises his proposal consequent to taking inventory of the jewel bag  “….. OH! I know what to propose-”

“Don’t even think about it Tokito! That’s disgusting-”~ Calamity 

 “And why not?! It’s a form of solid chaos!" I put down his kids and lays ele’ele onto my lap, "if I’m right, any form of solid chaos right now should be very valuable!” I open the bag for the god. Seeing past the lip, a rainbow of chaotic vomit and jewels pools in a swirling mess, ready for conversion. 

Then hearing three foot steps walking back from the privacy of the study from further within the room, Tokito quickly situates the jewel bag in his space. 

I retaliate, ‘Unless you have a better idea!”

‘…’

……..

A few minutes later, the air grows heavy with chaos as the three wish elementals return back to their respective seats.

"For our comprehension, an exchange must be accorded.” the three elementals assert their wishes.

“I, Staingek Djinn, wish for a solution to a delivery problem." The glass lady grabs hold of still molten glass orb from the air. Pinching and pulling the glass orb forms to the likeness of ele'ele, " For my trade, I create fragile intricate glass works which are delivered by cart. But a customers recent order for a glass dragon has put me in a bind as its wings are either shattered or cracked from traveling the long rocky paths to their residence. I’ve tried making the crate smaller to stop it from bopping around, but the wings still crack--and before you suggest it-- I can't put my glass works in items bags as the mana warps the chaos inside.…. So what do you propose I do?”

'This is a joke... right Calamity?!, ‘ I ask weirded out by such an easy wish.

"Nope....unlike your world progress, the delivery system here is just starting to take shape.'~ Calamity

 'But-- I mean—the solution is so simple that even my baby’s could solve it!' Tokito scrunches his nose flabbergasted ,".... use paper to wrap the glass and cotton or blankets to lace the crate."  It doesn’t appear like plastic has been invented yet, but I don’t want to suggest such a non-environmental friendly material. If she’s just needs to transport glass though posing paper and blankets should do the trick.

Seeing as the advice wasn’t an expensive venture, Staingek urgently rings for a servant and has them note down the materials to be tested.  

Sitting back in her hammock, Cloud lady spoke her wish next. "I, Nimstra Genie, wish for an exchange of chaos."

'.......Last chance Calamity... anything you wanna suggest or can I give her my vomit?'

 

 

   

  

 

Lōlō! Ua manaʻo wau ua loaʻa wau i ka poʻe mākaʻikaʻi pō = Crazy! I thought I got caught by night marchers

He aha kāu e hoʻomākalakala nei = What are you implying crazy

What should Calamity suggest?
  • suggest Kissing = likely to incite angry reaction Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let him give her the vomit = incite an awkward reaction Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ?????? = this will show how detached Tokito truly is Votes: 3 75.0%
Total voters: 4 · This poll was closed on Jan 6, 2021 09:44 PM.
10