Ch.6 The Start of a New Life
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tao Zhong was in the same spot as he was before sat outside the shoddy tavern smoking away surrounded by large intimidating men.

Jin Chenxi sauntered towards the group, confidence seeming to permeate his being. And why wouldn't he be confident, today was a good day, he discovered he won a fight he had no right to win and broke through to the fifth step. There was no reason not to be confident.

As he moved closer to Tao Zhong's group, Jin Chenxi began to open his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Tao Zhong's breaking into a coughing fit.

"fifth step already, what the hell have you eaten kid" Tao Zhong coughed out, "you're not burning are you?" Tao Zong asked, bending forward, and lifting an eyebrow, after regaining control.

"Of course not!" came Jin Chenxi indigent reply, losing his composure at the accusation before regaining it as quickly as a seasoned negotiator before patting down his robs to prepare himself.

"Boss Tao, I came to ask if there is any bandit party's requesting more men?" Jin Chenxi questioned, quickly moving straight onto what he wanted to know.

"What's with all you kids waning to go raiding, huh," Tao Zhong said blowing a puff of smoke "you're in luck though, Bai lei is looking for some fresh fodder"

Other kids? Jin Chenxi thought. It does make sense though the syndicate mostly recruits beggar children but who would willingly volunteer.

"When do I leave?" asked Jin Chenxi, a golden smile on his face as he pushed the thought away.

"You really have a death wish don't ya kid" replied Tao Zhong, seeming disappointed at his willingness to rush at danger or the loss of a fighter
"You and the other brat will go with Dong Shan over there, he was going anyway to deliver something anyway," Tao Zhong said pointing his thumb at the large man sitting a table away.

"of course sir, though may I ask who the person is Jin Chenxi questioned, as he inclined his head to the large man who will guide him to the camp.

"Inquisitive little brat ain't ya, its that fat brat Hu Meng" Tao Zhong replied taking another poof of his pipe "apparently his little gang got caught pickpocketing, guards caught most of 'em, now he wants to move on or something"

Jin Chenxi just kept his smile, though it was tighter than it should have been.

He was glad truthfully. He needed to thank Hu Meng, anyway, after all, it was thanks to his gentle touch that his Meridians had healed quicker than expected.

"When should we meet?" Jin Chenxi asked, breathing out a sigh to calm himself.

"Shan was gonna leave in two days, but with two brats slowing him down he'll leave tonight," Tao Zong said, glancing at Dong Shan "meet him at the main gate at sundown," Tao Zong finished, talking to both Jin Chenxi and Dong Shan

"Thank you for this opportunity, Boss Tao," said Jin Chenxi, bowing to the group.

"Stop thanking me for sending you to your death kid, it doesn't bring me joy sending young ones to die, ya know" mumbled Tao Zong his tone almost solemn, between another poof of his pipe.

"Of course sir" placated Jin Chenxi, keeping his head bowed.

"Off with ya then, get some cultivation in or sommat" sighed out Tao Zong push the air from his nose, ending the conversation.

Jin Chenxi was quick to turn and leave, although he was more than willing to act like a suck-up and bow his head it didn't mean that he enjoyed it.

It seemed that even two years of degradation and abuse couldn't wipe away all of what he was taught.

He would, however, follow Tao Zong's advice and spend the day cultivating, after of course, he went ahead and spent some of six silver he had leftover on some new robes. As although he and the rags that he wore had gone through a lot. Clothes talked and looking like a beggar created more problems than it solved.

It didn't take long for him to find a stall that sold fresh robes, it was much easier to buy robes than it was to buy a sword it seemed and cost less too, only one silver for a set of plain Gray robes, not a bargain by any metric but a fair price.

And so he had nothing left to do today other than cultivating and waiting for the sun to begin to set. So that is what he did once he arrived home, to the dirty shack.

He wouldn't have a chance of breaking through again though unless something happened, it would take him at least a week to break through to the sixth step.

Though doing something is better than nothing at all.

Getting into the lotus position, he began to breathe and let time slowly flow past him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours later as the sun began to set and the sky slowly began to darken Jin Chenxi opened his eyes and took a deep breath.

It probably shouldn't make them wait, he can't miss this opportunity afterall.
Jin Chenxi quickly stood and grabbed his only possessions; his sword, and the small leather coin bag he got this morning.

Slightly over a year in this city and this was all he had, it was a startling reminder of what he had gone through. So far in his sixteen years of existence, he had lived two lives one as a young master of a powerful family and another as a poor beggar boy.

Tonight he would start his new life. Tonight he would start life as a criminal, a bandit, and a villain.

He hoped it wouldn't be his last life. He hoped he would be given a chance to redeem himself.

But hope doesn't mean anything in this world, he knows that only power does, and he will seize power through any means necessary.

Redemption can come later.

With that final thought, Jin Chenxi leaves his dirty shack and walks into the cold embrace of a new night as the sun retreats into the horizon and towards his new life.

0