Remembering Llanhedd – Ch.2 – Welland
831 1 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=:= Welland, Ontario - Present Day =:=

"In the end, Eigra chose to remain in Shropshire. She stayed on at Blakemere Manor, tending to Anne as her maid and nurse." Dôn explained. "With the rebellion still underway in Wales, it was the safest course of action for both of them. Anne inherited her father's lands and wealth. Eigra stayed on as part of the household staff, an odd Welsh peasant girl among the English servants."

Everyone remained quiet for a while, even after Dôn had finished sharing the story.

It was the middle of July. Today was Sunday and instead of teaching them more about spells or magic, the Goddess had been giving them all a little history lesson.

Dôn was sitting at the head of the large dining table, embodied in Nicole of course. Samantha was to her right, and Kara to her left. Jessica sat beside Kara, and Cindy was across from Jess, sitting next to Samantha.

Tanya and Becky were there too, sitting with Cindy, and Maria was on the other side of Jess.

There was wine, soda, and water on the table, along with some snacks. The refreshments had been all but ignored though, as everyone sat spellbound while the Goddess recounted the tragedy which befell Her people in the past, and the last acts of Her previous vessel and priestess.

After another minute or two, Kara was the first to break the silence.

"The peasant who 'fought with the bravery and strength of a dozen men'... He was your last champion?"

Dôn nodded, "Yes. His name was Dyfedd."

Jessica asked softly, "Why... Why weren't you able to help, when Llanhedd was attacked?"

The Goddess sighed, looking down at the table for a moment. "Ffion and Rebekah were at My temple when the attack came. The temple was well hidden in some nearby woods, almost two hours' walk from the village. It had seemed prudent to keep such 'pagan' practices separate from the community. While it meant that My priestess and vessel escaped the slaughter, it also meant I was distracted with them at the time My people needed Me most..."

Kara asked, "Even with magic, the villagers couldn't escape, or fend off the attack?"

Dôn sighed again. "None but Ffion and Rebekah knew magic. There had been no need for others to learn, My priestess and vessel were always there to perform whatever magic was necessary..."

Everyone was quiet again for a few minutes after that. It made sense though now, why the Goddess was encouraging all of them to learn and practice magic. She wanted to ensure all her followers today had the means to defend and protect themselves.

Eventually, Samantha asked, "What happened to Ffion and Rebekah? Couldn't they start over, even without the book?"

Dôn replied with another sigh, "They could have... But they had both lost the will to live. They had lost everything that was dear to them, both women were heartbroken and devastated. They had neither the strength nor the will to carry on or start over."

"After they left Sir Gilbert's manor, they returned to My temple. Ffion and Rebekah created a small home for themselves deep in the woods, away from people. They remained there together until Ffion passed away in fourteen-hundred and nine. Without her, I was no longer able to interact with your world."

After a pause, the Goddess continued, "Alone, Rebekah emerged from the forest and wandered the land. She eventually made her way to the coast, and settled in a village not far from Caerphilly. She remained there until she died in fourteen-hundred and twelve. With her passing, the last knowledge and memory of My worship was lost from your world."

Sam sighed, "And then you slept?"

"Yes." Dôn nodded. "For six hundred and seven years, I slept. Until you woke Me, Samantha, in November of twenty-nineteen. When you began the ritual to embody Me in a new vessel. In a movie theatre, rather than a temple."

Sam blushed a little, while Jess and Cindy both grinned.

After a few moments, Samantha said "We still have no idea how your book made its way to the history department at Brock. I suppose it's just luck, or coincidence."

"Perhaps." Dôn replied.

There was another quiet pause. This time the silence was broken by Cindy.

"Uh... I have some questions actually." The small witch had a curious look on her face.

The Goddess smiled slightly, "I'm sure you do, Cindy Anne Talbot. And the answer is yes. Your last name was taken from Sir Gilbert, and your middle name came from his daughter."

Cindy's eyes widened, as did several of the others in the coven.

"Oh..." Cindy frowned a little. "Can I ask, why?"

Dôn replied, "You were the first to incur my wrath since Baron Talbot... And although Jessica had granted you her forgiveness, I was still displeased. So I gave you names taken from the last two people I had cursed."

Cindy frowned a little more, "Oh..." Her eyes drifted down as she stared at the table, her shoulders slumped as well, as the Goddess's words sank in.

"Cheer up, child." Dôn smiled slightly. "You have since redeemed yourself."

"Thank you." Cindy said quietly. Then she suddenly grinned and her eyes lit up. "Hey so does this mean I'm like, the new baroness or something? Can I go claim like some land and a title in England?"

There were some grins, and a few quiet giggles and chuckles around the table.

Sam suppressed a laugh, "No Cindy, probably not..."

54