Chapter 1.p2 – Unwanted
162 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky, which used to look like a washed-out watercolor, became a black screen. The stars had no place in that space, on the contrary, it seemed as if they had been hidden behind the great clouds. The moon was barely visible, and my body rested once more against a wall.

 

<< I thought I saw the sign ... but I do not think it's around here ... >> I tried to understand my own decisions, because until now I had not got anywhere. "There's nobody around to ask." All the people had gone home, and at that time the market was empty. I noticed that there were not many houses as such, the wooden huts were used as warehouses or extensions of a shop.

 

As I moved through the mud floor I realized the dirt of my own clothes. "It would really be good for me to have clean clothes, that way I'll be decent when it comes to presenting myself to accept a mission as an adventurer." I concluded that my main problem in this world was the lack of stable monetary income, and that the best way to solve that was to venture. "I think that there were several organizations in the game dedicated to controlling the work of the adventurers, I just have to go to any partner bar and it should be fine, even so ..." I reflected. "I have to get away from dangerous missions." Many times it was compared to be an adventurer with being suicidal, my intentions were different.

 

"Simple works." In my walk down the street I could not discover much more. The city was surrounded by a wall, and in some places there were wells that functioned as drains. I did not know exactly where the water was going but I did not have any intention of discovering it either. "Probably connects with a sewer system" I assumed.

 

After an extensive walk through the city, I more or less got used to the layout of the buildings and shops. In my way I saw several signs that indicated that a man with a mark in his neck was looked for, and who kills him or helps in his murder would receive a reward. "That's brutal" I thought incredulously. "How much is one willing to do for the money?" I would never have allowed myself to kill someone for a reward as such, the idea was beyond my comprehension.

 

Eventually I came across a sign with the figure of an eagle. It was next to one of the ends of the wall, it was the one facing north. A large enough gate was closed, I could not be sure, but I figured it would close at a certain time. "It had to have been opened recently." There were marks on the floor indicating that.

 

I was getting tired, my trip through the city was incredibly calm. The three silver coins rested in my right pocket, and for some reason I was happy. One of the things that caused my happiness was the idea of being able to clean all the dirt that was on my clothes. Coming from a place where everything was always clean it was strange that it was not.

 

I took several steps on a small wooden staircase in front of the wooden door, a platform of several wooden pillars supporting a wooden floor on the surface of the mud. The inn was different from the other huts, it was more like a house, but it had two floors. Even the architecture of the place was somewhat different, the other houses seemed to have interiors with earthen floors in solid mud, but in that case the floor was of multiple wooden planks. "A more expensive decision, that's for sure."

 

I opened the door of the inn and to my surprise there was no one inside. As soon as you entered you could see the wooden staircase to the second floor, several tables to the right, and a counter to the left. There was a big man behind the counter. His skin was brown, his hair reddish and his sharp eyes were the color of steel.

 

<< Welcome. >> The man had a long silver sword resting on the wall, which he would probably use in case of an emergency. He looked like a fearsome guy, but the smile he showed in front of my arrival removed that idea instantly.

 

<< Hi, I was told that maybe I could wash my clothes for a couple of silver coins. >> When he heard what I had to say, the man nodded several times. His fingers indicated a two.

 

<< Two silver coins and they will be as clean as you want. >> "I have a silver coin, I'll give it back to Vigyen later." I was about to accept, but the sound of footsteps on the stairs interrupted me. A girl about 9 years old came down the stairs and analyzed me closely. I did the same. "My only deduction based on its appearance is that it is related to the owner of the inn." They were quite similar.

 

<< A customer? >> She asked.

 

<< Yes, do not worry, I'll take care of it. You can keep sleeping. >> Hearing the man's words, she went up the stairs.

 

<< This are not good days for the business, the great majority decides to sleep in the city a couple of hours from here. I guess it's weird that there's a customer lately. Excuse my daughter. >> After saying this, I nodded and withdrew the two silver coins out of my pocket.

 

<< I see, do not worry. If I had more money I would stay here without a doubt, it seems quite nice. >> I said as the man kept the two coins under the counter. I began to remove the cloth that surrounded my neck and stretched like a brown coat.

 

<< If that is the case, I will always be open. Thanks for the nice words. >> I placed the cloth on the counter, and the man was paralyzed. His eyes looked wide open, and his smile faded from his face. His hand quickly extended to the long silver sword and held it with both hands. I took several steps backwards instinctively.

 

<< W-What happens? >> I asked as the man charged in my direction. A slight movement made me move to one side, but the sword crossed superficially over my shoulder. Blood rose in the air on the edge of the sword as my body moved backwards, opening the door in the process.

 

<< Sorry, you are not welcome here. >> My mind wandered away as I listened to the man's words. The sword moved once more in my direction but this time I began to run without hesitation. Once in the outskirts I saw how the red nectar descended my arm, and I heard how the man shouted. << Guards! >>

 

Before I knew it, I could hear the steps behind me. I did not want to turn around because seeing what was following me was more scary. "Why is this happening? What did I do?" With awkward steps I went up the stairs to the wall, because in front of me two soldiers appeared in chain mail armor, both carring spears. In my climb two crossbow bolts crossed near my legs.

 

The night scene was only illuminated by the torches placed on the sides of the wall. In the highest part of it there was nothing, and my progress was stopped by a wall. I approached the edge, but below I only saw darkness. I turned to see soldiers carrying spears, swords, crossbows and torches. A spear stuck over my shoulder breaking my clothes, puncturing my skin and pushing me in the process. My feet stumbled and my body began to fall.

 

Before falling I could see a face that I remembered. A silver coin came loose in the air, next to the particles of blood that fell on it. A beautiful face, and golden hair, Vigyen grasped the spear that caused the wound and my fall into the abyss. There was no regret to see my face, there was no pain in her eyes. "I see..."

 

I could hear it when I fell. << There is no way to survive the fall. >> "This world ... does not seem to want me alive." In my fall, which seemed eternal, I could feel my stomach twist. Shortly after my body hit the ground, and that way I broke one of my legs, two ribs and part of my arm. I also dislocated my shoulder. The hemorrhage had to have killed me, but that was not the case. I only had to agonize while the water that surrounded the city dragged me in its dirt.

 

I could not believe that my vision was clouding as the pain disappeared. I was about to fall unconscious once more. It seemed like some kind of event that repeated itself constantly; the eternal pain that did not seem to end disappeared with my ability to act. In this way a white room was present. An artificial black sky complemented the empty room.

 

<< I want to see my mom ... >> The girl cried. I saw her for a few seconds. His long silver hair was so long that it reached his knees. The ears were slightly pointed, but they did not look like those I saw recently.

 

After a cry she noticed my presence and showed me her scarlet eyes. I recognized those tears, those that only existed for those who experienced death. I could not help to feel sympathy. << Ok ... I'll help you. >> I said.

 

<< Really? >> Upon hearing the question I nodded and extended my hand in her direction. She held it with suspicion. Her hands seemed non-existent, fragile as a glass about to be crushed.

<< Brother ... Why are you crying? >> I had not noticed, but it was true. Tears descended through my eyes. "What am I doing?" I tried to smile, trying to contain the tears, but my lips descended once more to the face of someone in pain.

<< Sorry ... >> I covered my eyes with the hand I kept free, trying to hide the weakness of my current situation.

5