1.02 The Blood that Binds
207 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two hours of peaceful slumber was violently disrupted by a rough set of potholes as pain rattled through Michael's chest.

"Fuck." He hissed and scowled at the stone-faced Giselle. 

Would it have killed her to drive a bit more smoothly? The complaint nearly left his mouth when a loud growl cut him off. A realization dawned on him as his agitation died down, he no idea when Hunter last ate. "Hey, can you pull over at the next gas station?"

Giselle looked over at him. Her gaze was dull as if she had forgotten he was even in the car. He could only sigh, it was a look he was used to.

Often underwritten side characters would have such an expression when world development first started. It was simply because their creator left them with little to work with. Luckily fixing it was simple as Michael snapped his fingers a few times and spoke. "Look, I'm hungry. There should be one coming up." 

The dullness quickly melted from her face as she sneered at him and returned to looking at the road. "Fine. But don't take too long. Some of us have things to do once we get back." She growled before reaching for the radio. The station was too quiet for her liking as loud staticky rock music now filled the car. Even though it was hard to make out what song was playing, Michael didn't mind as he fiddled with his older phone trying to get a stable signal. A large crack spiderwebbed across the screen as Michael silently cursed Hunter's inability to take care of his stuff. One of the first things he needed to buy for himself was a new phone. At least he managed to grab a short signal and began to download a few apps.

Before they finished downloading, the gas station came into view. It sat framed by an open empty field on one side and on the other a forest reserve that looked ominous even under the midday Florida sun. Only a few cars filled the parking lot as Giselle pulled into the pump to fill up the half empty tank. Michael quickly hopped out and headed for the main building. Along the way he surveyed the few people about. Just a scattering of basic starters that the Character Depot always used. If this was any other mission, he would pay little attention to them. But at the moment, it was like a beacon of hope for him. If the world was able to get extras and locations from the Archive and Character Depot, that means it had to have a connection to the Overworld.

His joy was disrupted by his favorite voice as Giselle yelled after him. "Get me $10 worth."

He turned and gave her a reluctant nod. Though she didn't even offer him the cash as he just rolled his eyes and entered the store.

Inside he eyed the rows of junk food. It would be a lie to say he didn't want to grab every fun snack that was in there. Last mission he hadn't been able to buy any junk food, so he wanted to indulge. But the moment he started to layout his snack plan, he remembered that his cash situation was quite bad. A sense of responsibility stopped him from going wild as he went to the ATM. When he saw his account balance, his heart sank. Could he go back to his last mission world? He had so much money then. Silently, he bemoaned his finances before his stomach interrupted him again.

Ah, whatever, he still took out $20 and went to hunt among the aisles.

With arms filled with snacks and two bottles of coke along with a beer, he set them down on the counter.

"Busy lately?" Michael gave a half smile as he watched the kid scan his goods.

"Same as always." His disinterest was palpable as Michael looked at his name tag. His name was Phil. While it was only his first name, Michael could bet he knew the rest. Phil Indus Role, a legendary classic from the Character Depot. It was hard for Michael not to get a bit giddy in finding him so quickly.

"Ah, I thought it would have been a bit busier with the last hurricane." Michael just made it up as he went. The world would adjust as Phil looked at him for a second before giving a nod.

"We were out of gas for a little bit. But people around here don't worry as much about it. It's more of a coastal issue you know."

"Yea, my folks from the coast came to stay with us. It was hectic. What about you?" Michael smiled, putting on a bit of charm as Phil replied with a half-smile and finished ringing up.

"Sure, had my aunties over. They only drank and yelled at the T.V the entire time." Phil sighed, his appearance becoming a bit grim. "Even took over my room and tried to hook me up with their church friend's daughter." The memories seemed to cause him distress as Michael nodded along.

"Ah, that's family for you isn't it? At least no kids though."

"If only. One has three kids and all they did was break stuff. I hate my cousins." The total came up to just under $30 as Michael handed him the cash.

"True. Family is the one thing you can't help but love and hate" He took his collection of goods and gave Phil a parting nod. 

What seemed like small talk would act as a seed and the world would grow from there. Phil was just one extra but now he had a family, a home town and a few memories. It made Michael's job a lot easier than building everything up by himself. It was like this with every extra he chattered with from this point on. Each would become their own being and expand this fragmented world until it could support itself independently as a lower world.

Relaxed, Michael looked over at their car. Giselle had already filled up and he had the odd feeling that she would have left him if he hadn't exited the store at that moment.

"What took you so long?"

Michael just handed her a soda to placate her before peeling open a gator jerky stick. After all, when in Florida, might as well eat some gator. "It was less than 10 minutes." He hummed while sliding open his phone. The apps were only half downloaded.

Match and Boardcall.

A product of the Archive, they were the bread and butter of Michael and Alexander's meet up strategies in modern world settings. Sure, not the best names, but they got the job done. Match was a locational dating app while Boardcall was more of a Classified Ad app. Either way, they worked the best for getting in touch.

Now if only they were downloaded. 

Annoyed, he put his phone away and focused more on gorging himself on trash.

Last life he hadn't been allowed to eat any of this due to his manager. Now he could eat whatever the hell he wanted even if it was cheap junk. But as he broke into a bag of spicy 50 cent chips, he began to remember why some of these things weren't good to eat as his stomach cramped.

And so, the car ride passed to the sounds of staticky rock and regretful groans.

---

The regional office for the Hunter Organization wasn't much to look at on the outside. Situated in a forested section right off an old orange grove. The main building was beige toned concrete block with a gloomy atmosphere that clung to its utilitarian design. The area had once been an old air force base back in the 40s. But time had abandoned it until the Organization took it over. The place was nice, secluded and already came with the buildings.

Giselle pulled into the back car lot and headed in without a second look at Michael. Not like he cared much as he packed up his snacks and quickly downed the rest of his beer before heading inside.

The building had Wi-Fi as he connected and started setting up his accounts on Match and Boardcall. He didn't even need to look up as he headed to the bounty room. His body knew the path by heart, so he hunted for some nice photos of himself but found that Hunter really lacked any good selfies. Most were from horrible angles or just straight up unattractive. He considered getting a picture while in the office but stopped since this place probably counted as a secret area to most. Instead he just set up their usual Boardcall message.

"No phones inside." A stern voice interrupted his focus as Michael looked up at the older black man who sat behind the waist high counter. Even though Michael scowled, he still pocketed his phone as he went to stand next to Giselle. After scolding him, the man turned back to his argument with Giselle.

A name appeared in Hunter's name. This was Leonard and he was the keeper of the bounty desk. At one point he had been a top hunter for the region until a cheap shot at his knee left him unable to do field work. Now he trained the new kids, distributed bounties, and kept an eye on the HQ.

"That bounty was for $1,000." Giselle hissed; her fingers angrily tapped on the desk. The dull sound only made Leonard glare at the offending limb before focusing on the unruly hunter.

"Yes, the Ogre bounty was for $1,000. But as you know the HQ takes a cut. On top of that you rented a few items from the armory."

"No, Hunter rented a few items."

"It doesn't matter who. You two were signed up as a team, so the cost comes out of the bounty total."

"No- "

"Giselle, if you don't stop, I'm going to take a bitch tax out as well." Leonard wasn't playing as Michael stepped in with an appeasing smile and moved Giselle to the side as she wanted to bite back. She was hot, hungry, and hurting, her patience was short.

"Sorry about that, Sir." Michael let out a stressed laugh and rubbed the back of his neck. In order to secure their pay, they needed to appease the old man. "What's the pay out this time?"

"$900."

"Fantastic. Can we take it in cash? A lot easier to split." Truthfully, Michael didn't plan on sticking around Giselle much longer. After all Hunter died while accompanying her, so separation would probably be for the best until he got his footing.

Leonard just nodded. While not happy, he preferred to just hand them the cash then argue any more. Giselle wanted to keep fighting but knew it would be pointless as she snatched the cash from the desk before Michael could touch it and walked over to one of the tables. Internally Michael cursed, but followed. From the corner of his eye he could see Leonard shake his head and turn back to his work.

"Here's your $300." Giselle didn't even act like this was a problem as she slide the bills to him. Michael was insulted. This was supposed to be a clean split.

"It's missing $150."

"No, it isn't. That's your cut." She looked up at him with a flat taunting expression. If this was the original Hunter, he would have given in. The boy had almost no spine. But that was the original and the original wasn't here.

"No, my cut is $450. And I'm not leaving without it."

"Because of you, we were out an additional $50. So, at most I'm giving you $400."

"The equipment rental really? Aren't you being petty considering the fact I got the finishing blow?" His jacket was most likely ruined because of the Ogre's blood.

Giselle just rolled her eyes and gave another $100. But Michael wouldn't accept as he sat across from her with a stern expression. "I don't know what tiger's blood ran through you back there. But I ain't giving you anymore."

"Now you're just being stubborn."

"What about it?" She shrugged, before pushing back a bit of dark brown hair that had fallen in her face. "Gonna fight me?"

"Fights aren't allowed in the building." Michael smirked and then leaned forward. For a moment he pulled on his personal skills. While he wasn't sure what level his restrains were at, he did feel quite free as a bit of shadow grew from under his hand. It stretched and covered the space in between them as he stared directly into her eyes. "Just give me my remaining $50."

Giselle wasn't sure of the feeling that took over, but for a moment her heart raced as sweat began to break out on her back. A sense of dread and discomfort made her go along with Hunter's words without thinking. She laid the last $50 on the table before regaining her senses.

Michael didn't hesitate to snatch his hard earned $450 and quickly pocket it. "Thanks." With that he stood up and started towards the back. He needed to get checked by the onsite doctor. After all medical was free as a hunter. Something Hunter greatly appreciated. Just like their free cafeteria and dorm rooms. This boy was living on a budget.

However, Giselle went to follow him. With the sense of dread gone she quickly found herself upset with losing out on the additional $150. But before she could start arguing a new factor entered.

Like a moth to a flame, Giselle's attention was quickly diverted as her character setting kicked in. The Main Character had arrived.

While Michael didn't have a ton of information about the character, he had to admit that visually Ellen fitted the role perfectly. In her mid-20s, she was the classic rugged beauty with sharp fiery eyes that seemed to cut through everything she looked at. Dirty blonde hair pulled into a tight braid that allowed a few stray hairs to escape adding a bit of chaos to a rather maintained appearance. She walked around in a dark green tank top that clung to her like a second skin and showed off her tanned arms that sported full sleeved tattoos. On her waist was a gun and dagger as her booted footsteps echoed down the mostly deserted halls.

Not bad, not bad. Michael guessed that she would have ended up with a werewolf or some sort of shifter if the story had been finished. Maybe it would even be a legendary reverse harem with all sorts of supernatural boys. As long as it didn't involve his husband, he was fine with whatever choice she made.

As Ellen's rival, Giselle couldn't help but be supernaturally inclined to cause trouble for her fellow hunter.

"Look whose back." Crossing her arms, Giselle stood in the way of Ellen. Her entire body vibrated with the desire to cause trouble. It was almost impressive how baseline these characters were before they had a chance to grow.

Ellen just looked at the shorter women with dismissal and annoyance.

"Have fun on your secret mission?" Giselle taunted with a bit of a childish lilt as if this mission was just a game. "I bet it's sooo great to be riding the regional leader's dick, while the rest of us are scrapping by on the scarps."

"Is there a point to this conversation?" Her scowl deepened as Ellen's patience thinned. She was tired and just wanted to sign out to head back for a bit of a break.

"The point is not all of us have the luck to get special treatment."

"What does that have to do with me?" Maybe because the main character is normally the most fleshed out character, Ellen cut straight to the point when it came to Giselle incessant taunts.

"Well it-"Like a computer on short circuit, Giselle's settings failed her as she froze in her spot. That dull look returned as Ellen pushed her aside to keep going. She spared little time for her old training partner. After all their history was very much buried in the past.

Michael watched this go down quite unimpressed by the whole scene. He expected something a little more poppy, but it quickly fell through. Giselle didn't have enough structure to support herself as a minor rival and Michael considered changing his decision about separating from Giselle. They didn't necessarily need to go on a hunt, but the woman needed some personality development to be considered an actual rival to Ellen.

The show was over for now though as he continued to the infirmary.

It took a little bit, but after his checkup he was proven right. Two of his ribs on the left side had been fractured during the fight and he had hyper extended his right shoulder leaving it sore. Well it was nothing that a handful of OTC pain meds couldn't fix. He filled the doctor's prescription at the in-house pharmacy and then headed for the bounty board. Even with his injuries he still had to eat and with a little over $600 in the bank, he needed another job quick.

He easily found one to that looked relatively easy for a solo mission. A pixie infestation. Without a second thought, he claimed it with Leonard before returning his shotgun and renting out a car along with a few other helpful items. The location was on the east coast and taxis didn't come out this far.

Once out of the building he loaded his phone back up and returned to his apps. On Boardcall, he made a simple coded listing. One they had done a hundred times before. A mention of their development crew's name, Team Goathead, was all that really mattered as he filled in the rest with playful nonsense.

For Match he quickly captured a half decent selfie of his current face and uploaded it with a few more irrelevant images. One of which was of their team logo, a little goat headed man in a suit surrounded by three flowers. Michael then put down in the bio 'looking for a man to live across lifetimes with. Must be clever, devilish and immortal' before starting the car.

He had a good 2-hour drive ahead of him, so he better get going.

17