1.20 The Blood that Binds
86 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before counting their score, Imani and Alexander made a deal that the first round of drinks would be on the winner. And well, it looked like Imani was buying. With her newly acquired discount, she ordered a set of shots and gave a salute to their evening. Everyone but Michael threw back the shot after boisterously agreeing.

Unfortunately, Michael had to pass his shot along to his husband as he nursed a virgin pina colada.

The hour slipped by as the booze flowed. At first the tab was shared between them, but quickly Alexander took over. With ample in his account, he wanted to keep the good mood going.

However, a human can’t survive on liquid alone and, as Michael’s stomach growled, Shelly remembered the place had more than drinks to offer as she ordered a round of appetizers for everyone.

Nibbling on a sweet Hawaiian BBQ rib, Michael enjoyed the upbeat atmosphere. The lively beat of the music intermingled with loud chatting and cuts of laughter followed excited shouts made it hard to be alert. In this little faux island hide out, the sense of danger was far away.

With a flushed face, even though he had only had 3 drinks, Peter challenged Alexander to a drink contest.

“We gotta see who can drink the whole glass the fastest.” With two beer mugs filled to the rim, Peter passed one to his competitor.

“What does the winner get?” Alexander asked as he accepted the glass.

“Bragging rights.” Shelly responded as she enjoyed her own basket of fried shrimp.

“I see. Alright, I’ll give it my best shot.” His smile looked meek as Alexander eyed the beer.

Ecstatic that he accepted, Peter had Imani do the count down as he stared down the other man.

“Isn’t it a bit cheap?” Michael cut in. “No one’s ever won against you.” Could it be considered a talent to be able to down an entire pint glass in 15 seconds? Well, if you’re in college, yes. Yes, it could.

Peter didn’t have time to reply as the count ended and both men started to drink. It was easy to see who the winner was as Alexander flipped the empty glass over his head before Peter even reached the halfway mark.

“Wow, I’m impressed.” With a laugh, Shelly turned from the winner to Peter who had nearly spat out his drink as he gagged.

“I’ve practiced a bit myself.” Placing down the glass, Alexander fell back beside Michael and wrapped an arm around his shoulder before reaching over to take a bite at his half-eaten rib. Michael let him have it before silently feeding him another one from the basket.

The chatter continued until Shelly suddenly slammed her hand on the table.

Her face was filled with realization and excitement as her slightly booze addled brain remembered something.

“The 4th practice is tonight.”

Michael looked over at her a bit confused. “What?”

“The 4th fireworks, they are doing a dry run tonight.” She clarified as she cleaned her fingers with a napkin.

“Oh, would that be nice to see?” Imani hummed as she nursed her own Peep’s cocktail.

“Exactly, a great way to end the evening.” The sudden injection of excitement made Shelly nearly fall off her chair as she nodded. “I even know where they are doing it and a good place to watch.”

“Oh really?” Asked Michael.

“Yes, remember the old hide out?” Leaning forward on the bar table, Shelly grinned.

At first Michael had no memories of the place she mentioned. But slowly they trickled in.

Initially vague, he finally got a picture of this legendary place of their youth. It was a tree fort out in the Painted Forest reserve on the East side of town. While not closed during the day, most of the local kids would head out at night to have fun and make trouble. For many years, the trio used it as a hang out where they could drink without being found out. Though Peter had reported that a few times he had hooked up out there too. Neither Shelly nor Hunter had appreciated learning that fact and had cleansed the place several times after.

“Yea, I remember. Is it a good viewing place?” A bit hot, Michael shifted away from Alexander to help cool down.

“I don’t see why not. It’s up off the ground and has that clearing in the direction of the fields. On top that, there isn’t a lot of light out there. Should be a great place to watch.”

It was an easy sell as they piled into Shelly’s car after settling the tab. Michael was at the wheel as he first drove them buy a convenience store to pick up more booze before he headed on to the woods.

In the darkness of the isolated road, it was hard to make out the proper turn as Michael worked off of half a memory. Finally, he thought he found it.

 Hidden by a thick underbrush, the path was near impossible to see in the darkness as his high beams hit the bank and finally revealed the small trail that led deeper in.

“Hold on.” Michael warned as they went off road. The low riding car leapt and shook as it took on the raw land.

“A little slower.” Peter hissed. It felt like his brain shifted inside his skull as Shelly clung to their acquired booze.

Michael just laughed and kept moving forward as he tried to orientate himself in the woods.

Something must have caught Shelly’s eye as she pushed forward over Michael’s shoulder and pointed. “Pull to the side of those trees.”

He followed her commander and parked in a relatively clear space before he turned off the car.

“Alright, let’s see if this place is still standing.” With a carton of beer under each arm, Shelly hopped out.

“Wait, you haven’t checked?” Michael scowled.

“I’m 35 percent sure that it’s there.” As the official tour guide of the group, Shelly led the way for Imani and Peter who brought their own alcohol along.

A few seconds passed as Michael looked on amused but slightly worried. The question of what kind of friends had he arrange for Hunter ran through his head before he went to walk around the car. Though as he took a step, he felt a tug on his waist and Alexander pulled him close.

“Michael, your little family is too energetic.” The words dripped with exhaustion as Alexander buried his face into the crock of Michael’s neck.

“It’s good. I like lively people.” Michael hummed as he held Alexander’s clasped hand.

“That’s fine. But this is the first moment I’ve gotten alone with you.”

Michael wanted to say something back but stopped as he nodded. “It’s dark. Why don’t we look around a little bit?”

The hint was enough as Alexander kissed the back of Michael’s neck before giving it a playful bite that made his knee quiver. “I agree.”

Michael pulled from the embrace but kept hold of Alexander’s hand as he led him to a shelter of trees deeper in the forest.

As soon as they felt they were far enough away, Alexander pushed Michael against a tree. Their breath soon mingled as they indulged in each other’s embrace. Urgently Alexander’s large hands grasped at Michael’s ass as the human was caught between his lover’s hot form and stiff tree.

Time melted away with each touch and breath they shared. The bittersweet taste of alcohol passed between their lips as they got drunk on their excitement.

Running a hand under Alexander’s shirt, Michael dug his nail into the firm flesh of his back as he captured his tongue. Things were reaching a boiling point as the fear of getting caught slipped farther from their minds.

“Boys?” Shelly’s voice broke their fever as Michael pulled back to catch his breath.

“Baby, ignore her.” Alexander didn’t budge from his position, in fact he moved in closer. His hot breath brushed against Michael’s cheek and lips as he barely kept from taking his lover’s lips once more.

“Boys?!” The shouts grew closer as Michael let out a repressed groan.

“Let’s see what she wants.” It was said begrudgingly, but he had some sense of responsibility to these friends.

“Baby, please.” Pitifully, Alexander begged. Without thought he pressed Michael tighter against the tree as if he thought shrinking their profile would make Shelly go away.

Michael raised an eyebrow as he looked at Alexander in the dark. Their faces were close enough together that he could make out the heat in his partner’s eyes. But it wasn’t worth the years of embarrassment that Hunter would surely suffer if Shelly caught them acting too intimately.

“We’ve got a week. You can hold on a little long.” Michael gave Alexander a firm smack on the ass before slipping out from the pin. “Plus, first time in this world is not going to be in the woods.” Michael added casually.

“Torture.” Alexander moaned before capturing Michael’s wrist. “Fine, if I have to behave, at least wear this.” He slid the black and white weaved bracelet off his wrist onto Michael’s. “I know the other was lost. So, this time I personally made it so you wouldn’t lose it.”

The moment the cording touched his skin, Michael felt a chill run through his body before it evened out into a familiar warmth. He ran an exploratory finger over it, tracing the waving and then the token. A small silver carving of a leopard sat proudly in the center. It was hard to make out in the darkness, but feeling was enough to make him smile.

“Thank you.” He quickly pulled Alexander in for another kiss as Shelly kept shouting the background.

A few seconds passed before they broke apart and Michael finally sighed. It was now time to return to being a responsible World Developer.

Alexander did not share this feeling as he wrapped an arm around Michael’s waist and followed him out of the bush.

“Coming!” Michael yelled out to let Shelly know where they were as Alexander led the way in the dark. Quickly they found the woman who was looking in the wrong direction as she flashed her light around.

“Oooo~” As soon as she saw them together, she couldn’t help but raise a teasing eyebrow. “I hope I didn’t disturb anything.”

“Shelly-“

“You did.” Alexander said flatly as he looked at her wronged.

“Good, then I’ve done my sisterly duty.” With a laugh, she motioned towards the hide out. “Come on, if you dick around any longer you’ll miss the fireworks.”

The hide out was an odd contraption. Built between two large trees, the original builder of it was unknown, but it had been a place that a lot of the town kids hung out at when they were growing up. Hundreds of rumors had surrounded it from the original builders being aliens to it being a serial killer’s murder shack. None of which were ever proven but, Hunter had been a firm believer in the CIA secret underground bunker theory.

With two floors and a balcony, it sat at least 7 feet off the ground nestled within two large oak trees. In the dark, it was hard to make out the condition of all the wood. But the building did creak as Peter stuck his head out.

Spotting the three he waved his flashlight. “You found them?”

“Yup, having some deep woods fun.” Shelly replied as she headed for stairs. At one point, the way up had been a ladder until a kid broke their leg on it. So one of the parents kindly built in a pretty sturdy stair case instead as the husbands followed behind.

“Shut it, Shelly.” Michael puffed as he tested each step. He did not want to break anything else on this potential death trap.

“Shit, Imani, we should have done that.” Peter leaned into his wife who just laughed and nodded.

“It does sound exciting.” She added

“Oh my god, how could I forget I’m surrounded by couples.” Shelly rolled her eyes and pulled over a ratty old cushion.

The inside of the first floor was illuminated by a mix of flashlights and lanterns as everyone settled into a place near the large front opening. There weren’t really doors in the place as a mosquito net provided the best protection against Florida’s tiny devils.

As to be expected, the tree fort wasn’t well furnished. Old cushions and blankets could still be found in the wooden chest on the first floor, but the only other furniture to fill up the square room was a few scattered chairs and an uneven table. On the walls the remnants of posters and carvings were worn away by time.

“Why are we on the first floor?” For watching fireworks, Michael thought that they would use the second floor.

“Do you want to die today?” Shelly asked as she popped open a beer. “Let’s not get over ambitious.” She was about to drink when she thought of her new brother in law and tossed him a beer as well.

Alexander caught and said thanks before drinking along with his new big sister. After sharing a drink, he pulled Michael down into his lap as he sat on a deteriorating outdoor cushion.

“Anyway, we’ll see it fine from here. It’s coming from the east.” She pointed in the direction of clearing. The trees had either fallen or never grew that high. This gave a perfect view of the sky.

It was beautifully clear summer night. The swirling navy blue mixed with deep endless black of the sky as a spread of strikingly bright stars filled it with light. The moon lazily hung three quarter’s full among them.

Truly, this was the best time for fireworks.

“So, you’re completely sure the test run is tonight?” Michael asked.

“Of course, of course.” Shelly waved away his doubts. “If I’m wrong, I’ll drink an entire beer.”

“Not really a punishment.”

“Before the fireworks go off, do you mind taking a selfie with me?” Alexander broke up the argument between siblings and pulled out his phone. It was getting to be about time for the hourly wellness check as he smiled in the dim light.

“Of course, anything for my best little bro.” Shelly perked up and hopped over to Alexander’s side as she put her chin on top of Michael’s head. Imani and Peter oblige, taking up the other side as Imani gave a small peace sign.

The photo came out lovely as the warm hue of the lights made it look like they were at a camp out. A little off centered, the husbands took up a large portion of the frame as Shelly stuck out her tongue and Peter threw a set of bunny ears behind his wife’s head. A cute little snap that Alexander was sure Trisha would love as he sent it off to her.

“Ah, turn off the lights, the fireworks are about to start.” Shelly grabbed for a few lanterns as Imani helped. Right as the last light was extinguished the first boom shook the questionable tree house.

Suddenly night turned to day as explosions filled the sky. Twinkling lights and flashing bombs danced among themselves in volatile bursts. At first it was standard displays of sparklers and star bursts cast in red, white and blue. Occasional a glittering American flag would be found among them. But soon things switched up. First it was one mischievous bunny head depicted in the trio of colors. This was only the beginning as beautifully rendered painted eggs seemed almost too perfect as they exploded in the sky.

For a moment Michael leaned back and put his lips to Alexander’s ears.

“It’s not too loud right?” The sensitivity of a werebeast’s hearing was a topic he had seen constantly debated among the articles written for the Archive. Though as another boom shook the makeshift hide out, even Michael was experiencing a bit of discomfort.

“A little but it’s fine.” Alexander replied as he turned to look down at Michael. “I…” What he was about to say was lost as he was taken in by Michael’s handsome face under the twinkling lights. Half caught in shadow as the fireworks colorfully highlighted his indulgent green eyes and curved around his plump lips. Alexander could not help but stare a bit dumbstruck before he regained himself. With the others distracted by the loud display, he dipped down and took his partner’s mouth.

A slight chuckle escaped from Michael as he happily responded. Making out during fireworks was nice.

“Look at that one.” Shelly interrupted their kiss as several bangs went off in unison.

Reluctantly, Michael turned to look but found himself quite happy he did. The explosions were quieter than the massive fireworks from before. But they were no less impressive as the silhouette of four bunnies hung playfully in the sky. They lasted longer than the others as the bunnies hopped along the sky in gunpowder animation. One jumped over the other before the other two ran into it. They playfully moved until finally the embers dimmed and finally died out.

“What kind of fireworks are those?” They were definitely not normal. If Michael had to guess this was another magic citizen pushing their luck when it came to the discrepancy laws.

“Local specialty.” Shelly winked. “Everyone’s been working hard to make it the best display this year.”

“I could have guess. It had a bunny in it. I doubt anywhere else in Florida is so whole heartedly dedicated to the rodent.” Michael replied.

Shelly shrugged, “They’re the ones missing out.”

The fireworks went on for another 10 minutes before reaching one last massive end. In preparation, Michael reached up and covered Alexander’s ears as the wereleopard returned the favor.

The floor vibrated as the sky lit up like it was midday. Fireworks brighter than the sun burned out their retinas as a single bright bunny sparkler ran its way through the simultaneous explosion that followed each hop. Star bursts, flowers, constellation, sparklers, balls, all shapes of explosive light barely kept from singeing its tail before it finally crashed into one big ball and exploded into a massive earth-shaking bunny firework.

Finally, the free show came to an end as Shelly and Peter clapped excitedly.

“Perfect, perfect! The festival is going to be fantastic this year.”

“Is that another thing you’re working on? Do you even work for the radio station anymore?” This had been something Michael had every so often wondered by failed to ask. In his memories Shelly worked for the radio station, but she seemed to know everything about everything when it came to town events and construction.

Shelly rocked her head a middling response. “I do. But I volunteer a lot with the city council.”

“No business talk!” Peter cut in, waving one hand in front of the two while the other remained around his wife’s shoulder. “Now that’s we’re in private, we should play a drinking game!” He half cheered as he lifted his beer.

“Neil will have to drink for me.” Michael sighed. It looked like he truly would be sober buddy tonight.

“Huh? Why?” Peter gave a glassy eyed look of confusion. Out of all of them, he had handled his shots the worse from the bar as his red face puffed up a bit.

“Meds. Can’t mix them with alcohol.” While everything had been healing well, he didn’t want to chance it.

“Fuck man, what’s the med for?” Asked Peter.

“Peter do you listen to anything?” Shelly knocked him in the shoulder. “Hunter got an injury from work a week ago.”

“Oh, right, right.” He nodded but his attention wandered quickly again. “Still, I say we play Never Have I Ever. Ones who have done it, take a drink. Those who haven’t, don’t.”

“Neil, do you mind taking a drink for Hunter?” Imani added as she looked over at the cuddling pair.

Alexander nodded his head. “I’m fine with drinking for the both of us.” Even with the pre-game he was still exceedingly sober.

“Thanks honey.” Michael smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek before grabbing a warm beer from the pile. “I’ll start since I’m the sober one. Never have I ever stripped naked because of fire ants.”

“I call a foul!” Excitedly, Peter pointed finger at him.

“Too specific. It has to be something we all might have done.” Shelly chimed in as she leaned back with her legs crossed.

Michael rolled his eyes but thought of a new one. “Never have I ever skipped a class.”

Everyone took a drink while Alexander took two.

Ten questions in Imani raised her drink. “Never have I ever slept with a lover anywhere other than a bed.”

Peter, Imani and Alexander drank but Michael and Shelly withheld.

“Hold it.” Shelly put down her drink as she held up a hand. “Let’s not do the sex questions please. I want to get wasted, not sober up.”

Michael said nothing. He was responding as Hunter, not himself. So, all his replies would be no on that account. Though he felt the inexplicable need to elbow Alexander in the ribs for drinking yes.

It’s almost liked the other man sensed as he leaned close to Michael’s ear, his hot breath itchy and arousing as the sensitive flesh flushed. A quiet deep chuckle followed. “We can remedy that tonight if you want.”

One elbow to the ribs later, it was agreed that sex questions were off the table as Shelly asked the next round.

They passed another round until it landed on Michael who just raised his water bottle and offered another question. “Never have I ever drank alcohol underage”

Alexander and Imani were the only ones not to take a drink as Shelly laughed and slapped her thigh. “I think the wall still has the spot where Peter and you both took a header.”

“Shhhh, don’t tell the story.” Peter flopped up from Imani’s lap and rolled over to hit against Shelly.

“I’m telling the story.” Shelly ignored him. “You see, these two brilliant boys decided to drink my booze and then rough house in the hide out. Their genius game was mad matador. However, both played the bulls. Hunter tripped, Peter flopped and both landed face first into the wall over there.” Shelly lazily pointed with her head towards a section of the wall that was a completely different type of wood.

“Peter broke his nose and Hunter knocked out two teeth and got a black eye. Dumbasses. The class laughed at them the next day.”

“It’s only because you told about it.” Michael added.

“What?” Shelly looked at the ceiling as she tapped her heel. “Huh, must have been the wind. Anyway, yea it was great. Except Mama Clarke got on my ass. But she chewed the boys out more, so it was still a win.”

“Some days I wonder if you’re a demon sent to torment me.” Michael sighed as Alexander lightly nudged him.

“That’s my job.” He whispered.

Michael clicked his tongue before he leaned back into Alexander’s chest and hummed. “Next question.”

Time flew as they played, drank and brought up old memories. It wasn’t until Peter completely collapsed into his wife’s lap that they finally called the game.

 

A/N

Fireworks, alcohol and PDA, what's not to love? I'm trying to get back on schedule, but life's been a bit hectic. So I'm going to be updating sporadically as I get the chapters edited.

13