1.27.1 The Blood that Binds
63 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A second passed.

“That’s unfortunate,” Alexander hummed. “Is the show about to start?”

“Yes, very soon.” ‘Alma’ smiled. Beside her, Giselle stood. Her expression remained neutral as she focused on him.

“Oh, what kind of show is it?” He asked, his casual demeanor did not waver under the collective eyes. He wanted all the attention on him. “Is it a musical? Play? Maybe some rhythm and blues?” 

Michael studied the situation. The remaining diners were several feet away with furniture between them. The only major obstacles were the waiter, Giselle, and ‘Alma’.

‘Alma’ sat and tried to keep up her cordial appearance, though frustration crept into her smile. The waiter was a young man. He could throw a punch or two, but a low-level threat. The real danger was Giselle. Why she was working with them, he had a few guesses. But they were useless right now. He looked over and noticed that her loose-fitting top gave away a hint of the sharp silhouette of a holster.

“It’s a surprise. But I can tell you that Hunter is the main act. Though you are a special guest. Giselle.” At ‘Alma’s’ command, Giselle reached for her gun.

Michael moved. Pushing Alexander behind him, he kicked up the table. Dishes crashed as he slammed it forward with his shoulder. Overwhelmed, the three enemies fell back, and a shot rang out above them.

Like a starting gun, the entire place sprung to life.

On instinct, he took Alexander’s hand and ran. Though as he passed by the tipped ‘Alma’ he swooped down and grabbed both hers and Giselle’s purses. He slung them across his chest and rushed for the exit.

More shots rang out behind them as they flew down the stairs.

The first floor was far more treacherous. Given time to prepare, the hound-like abominations filled the space. Their visceral red body, bloody and skinless, glistened under the lights. Small puddles of blood and discarded fur served as the only sighs that these once normal dogs. Strings of muscle pulled back to expose white razor-sharp teeth as the beasts growled at them.

A surge of disbelief and tired amusement ran through Michael.

“Take your beast form,” he commanded.

Alexander obeyed. His poor shirt stretched as the buttons popped off with his growing form. The shift triggered the beasts as they pounced.

Grabbing a blue plank from the kitschy wall, Michael slammed it directly into the skull of a monster. Thrown to the side, he slid past and struck another behind it. The beast crashed into a table and sent silverware and plates everywhere. A steak knife knocked against his shoes and he kicked it up and into the throat of a creature before pulling it out to serve as his weapon.

Most of the beasts were interested in the wereleopard as they aimed for Alexander. They swiped at him, sending him back into the tight-packed tables before swarming him. All he could do was protect his head and neck as their sharp claws sliced through his skin.

After blocking another two monsters with a table, Michael heard his partner’s distress. However, the swarm was too much for him to handle alone, but as he saw the bar, he got an idea.

Quickly he dodged around the table and ran over. One followed on his heels as he jumped the bar and grabbed the highest proof alcohol from the speed rail. With four bottles, he threw them at the swarm. They shattered on the tough backs of the creatures, sending booze everywhere.

“Molotov!” He shouted.

Rabid snarls and rancid breath made it difficult for Alexander to hear his partner. One bite down on his forearm, piercing through his coarse yellow fur and drawing blood. The scent drove the creatures crazy as they nearly tore at each other. With little breathing room, it was fortunate that his nose was sensitive as he smelt the pungent odor of alcohol.

Next to him, a nearly extinct candle laid on its side dislodged from its original table. He grabbed it and threw it up while Michael jumped over the bar-top and grabbed two more flaming candles to throw onto the soaked swarm.

A brilliant blue flame sprang to light, running across the backs of the beasts. Confused, they reared back and tried to put out the spreading fire. With the distraction, Michael swung around and pulled Alexander out.

Bloody and scrapped up, he looked worse than he felt.

“Those ar—” An orb of fire barely missed Alexander as Michael pulled him to the side. The spell evaporated as it hit him. The mage who cast it prepared another before being cut short by a steak knife to the chest.

Dropping, Michael used the tables to hide from their line of sight. Alexander went to follow but was pulled back by a beast that had freed itself from the fire swarm.

Michael turned to help when a table exploded in front of him. Spells aimed at him might not be effective. However, the furniture had no such protection. The surrounding area became a hostile barrage of splintered wood and porcelain. He protected his eyes and tried to find his way to Alexander when his shoulder was yanked.

A ruthless punch buried itself into his face as Giselle pulled him back. Momentarily dazed, he kept his bearings and kicked out her knee.

In the fall, he swung and caught her in the gut with a solid strike, sending her to the floor.

The victory was temporary. Giselle’s recovery factor was ridiculous, and any type of floor struggle would be useless. He needed to get away. Sadly, she would not let him escape so easily. The moment he turned, she grabbed him around the waist. Dragged back, she straddled him, nearly crushing him with her thigh grip as she aimed for his face. He threw up his arms, blocking each hit until she changed her target.

Michael choked as a solid elbow crashed into his torso. A painful snap reverberated through him.

“Bitch!” He hissed before finally dislodging her. Unstable, he tried to pull back, only to see that she was reaching for her gun. Before she drew, Alexander rammed into her, sending her flying.

“Baby, you ok?” The question went unanswered as another beast jumped on Alexander and Michael felt the heat of several more spells around them. Luckily, the magic dissipated as they made contact, but each consumed spell left him increasingly nausea.

Alexander tossed the beast off and sent it crashing to the ground next to Michael, who stabbed it in the neck with another floor knife.

“We need an exit.” Between the dizziness and his pounding heartbeat, Michel forced down his rising adrenaline and looked around. His eyes fell onto the stage. “Found it.”

The two ran together. Their only physical obstacles were the remaining beasts that tried to catch them. No mage dared to step forward even as their spells were absorbed.

Just as the couple climbed the edge of the stage, a shout cried out from above.

Suddenly, a sturdy form slammed into Alexander’s back as ‘Alma’ clawed into him. Before he could react, she brought her necklace around his throat. He let out a choked howl as the silver burned into his skin. She tightened it, cutting off his air as he clawed at the cord with one hand and tried to throw her off with another.

Michael went to help, only to receive a sharp kick to his side. He stumbled back, catching himself on the curtain before looking up at Giselle.

Gun in hand, she aimed at him. At point-blank range any hit would be devastating to his human form. He knocked her hand away as the confrontation turned to hand to hand. His focus was to disarm her, but she kept a firm grip on the gun. His best defense was to push it away until he found a way out. His technique was better, but her endurance was supernatural. It was a stalemate as they danced across the stage.

Meanwhile, Alexander slammed ‘Alma’ into the mosaic side of the stage. Chips of ceramic and paint covered them both, and her grip loosened on the cord. Able to breathe again, he clawed at her and slashed her face. She let out a shocked yelp, then a pitiful moan as he slammed her once more against the wall. Finally, she fell off. The cord still hung from his neck, producing a light smoke as it burnt his fur. But his attention was elsewhere.

Caught in a grapple, Michael barely held the gun away from him as Giselle push back. Each millisecond, it grew closer and closer. Finally, he slipped. The gun whipped around and aimed at his chest. In desperation, he knocked it down as it fired.

“Fuck!” Pain ripped through his leg as the bullet cut through the flesh and buried into the stage. Alexander grabbed the woman and tossed her away.

Michael pressed against the bleeding wound, but it was a pointless concern. There were seemingly endless waves of monsters and mages who advanced towards them. They needed to go.

“Baby—”

“Go, go!” Michael pushed the wound to the back of his head and shoved Alexander forward.

Disappearing behind the blue curtain, they found backstage empty as Alexander sprinted down the hall and Michael limped behind.

The back doors were locked, but it was not a problem for Alexander as he slammed into them and surge into the muggy night. It had rained during their dinner, leaving everything slick. Michael was a step behind him as he dug through the purses. He found Giselle’s car keys and looked for the vehicle.

Sure, his car was there, but there was a high chance they stole his battery. Everything pointed towards these being the same bastards from the realm, so they probably did.

Off to the side of the parking lot, half-hidden in shadows, the black Jeep came into view.

Michael tossed the keys to Alexander before glancing back at the restaurant. Their enemies were moments behind. He hopped into the passenger seat as the engine kicked to life and they peeled off out of there.

A/N

Yea, action! My recommended songs for any restaurant/bar brawl is 'I'm So Excited' by the Pointer Sisters and 'Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)' by Elton John.  If you like instrumental, I would suggest 'Kingsman Hoedown' from Kingsman: the Golden Circle. These songs have such energy and it's great for a messy fight. I wont lie though, I've been wanting to write a fight seen to 'I'm So Excited' for ages.

8