1.30 The Blood that Binds
60 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Richard,” Alexander wiped his bloody fingers off on his jeans before kneeling next to Michael.

“Damn,” he gently examined his partner’s face. “What about the rest of you?”

“He seemed to have taken particular exception to my face.” His laugh was all nasal as he gave a gaped tooth smile. “I'm just too handsome, he can't stand it.”

“Doctor, do a werebeast's teeth grow back?” Michael asked with a hint of guilt.

“They do,” Dr. Kulkarni walked over. “Stand, let me see it.”

Alexander reluctantly followed.

She turned his head about, taking in the misaligned nose, various cuts, bloodshot eyes, and spreading bruises. Blood still streaked his face, even though he tried to wipe it away. “You’ll live. But we have to straighten your nose while it’s fresh.”

“It won’t straighten on its own?” Alexander grimaced.

“No, and if it’s not done soon, it will set. Then if you want it fixed, we’d have to re-break.”

“Fine then, come on.” He readied himself.

“What’s your pain tolerance?”

“Reasonably high.”

“Good, hold still.” With a minor pop, she roughly straightened out his nose. Alexander hissed and pulled back as tears pricked at the corner of his eyes.

“Couldn't do that any gentler?”

The doctor ignored his question and looked him over. “And your bandages?”

“They tore.”

She only sighed and got her kit.

“Why did you fight Richard?” Michael asked.

“Because he was being a prick,” Alexander replied while taking off his shirt. His bruised torso was the last of his concerns as the open neck wound slowly oozed blood down his shoulder. Nearly black with dirt, it would be lucky if he didn’t get an infection.

It took the doctor a moment to figure out where to start as she cleaned the wound and pulled out the embedded debris.

“Alright, but how did it turn into a fight? Did you apologize?” Michael continued

“I did,” Alexander flinched as she plucked out a peddle. “I apologized. Unfortunately, we disagreed, but I was going to leave civilly and try again later. But then he said that they were transferring you out. I told him no, and it escalated from there.”

“He said what?” Dr. Kulkarni’s hand slipped as she pulled at a piece of exposed flesh. 

Alexander winced. “That you guys are transferring Hunter to a human hospital. I disagreed and well, here we are.”

“I don’t know what power Richard thinks he has in my infirmary, but this is my territory. I decide what happens to my patients and where they go, and Hunter’s not leaving.”

“Should tell him that.”

“I will,” she growled. Her movements quickened as she soaked the tender wound in alcohol and rapidly prodded it. Once the new set of bandages were on, Dr. Kulkarni left to deal with Richard.

Alexander stole her seat and noticed the purses on the table along with everything else, but before he could ask, Michael took the initiative. “Explain to me exactly what happened.”

---

Leaned against the door frame of Richard’s office, Alexander stared at his desk. It was more paper than wood by this point, as stacks of binders piled up on the floor around.

“So, I’m here to say sorry.”

“Sounding real sorry,” Richard grumbled from his seat. “If you’re looking for a fight. Get out. I ain’t in the mood for more of your bullshit.”

Alexander resisted the urge to roll his eyes and straightened up. Part of him wanted to leave, but he controlled himself and tried again. “I mean it,” he softened his expression a bit as he turned somber. His normal cockiness melted away into the picture of repentance. “I’m sorry.”

Richard froze at the sudden change. “Really?” He blurted out, putting his papers down.

Alexander gave a small nod and finally sighed. “I’ve been sensitive lately with everything. It’s hard to talk about. But I know I’ve caused you trouble and I’m sorry.”

“Well,” Richard nodded towards his chair. “I’ve got time. Talk about it.”

“Not right now. I should get back to Hunter. Do you accept my apology?”

“Sit and let’s talk.”

Alexander grimaced and looked at the dreadful chair. “I don’t have time.”

“Just because you’ve said sorry, doesn’t mean I’m just going to forgive you.”

Alexander stared for another second, weighing whether or not it was worth it to leave things as they were. But Michael’s request won out as he crossed his arms and sat down.

Richard looked him over, “How did you leave? Tell me the truth.”

“Through the front gate,” Alexander coolly answered.

“I said the truth,” he growled. “There is no way you could’ve gotten out through any of the gates.”

“I am telling the truth. I left through the front and got a ride out of town.”

“This!” Richard banged the table. “This is why you are impossible to deal with.”

Alexander didn't react as he watched the papers fly about. “I’m not impossible. I think your expectations are too high, and I’m not sure if I should be honored or annoyed by that. What I did was simple, I left through the front gate. What did you think I did? Cover myself in mud and shimmy out through the forest?”

“This is serious, boy. The fact you could get out means there is a flaw in our perimeter. Do you not understand how dangerous that is?”

“I thought the Protector Tree covered everything?” Alexander raised an eyebrow.

“A tree is only a tree. Magic might not make it in, but people still can.”

“Why are you worried about people?” Intrigued, Alexander finally studied Richard. He looked haggard, even though he tried to hide it with a clean shave and neat clothes. His eyes were deep... restless, as shadows took to the various angles of his face. Every so often, his movements would twitch and his focus would shift. “Something happened, didn’t it? Something big.”

“When you actually feel like apologizing, come back. Right now, you’re wasting my time. Get out.”

Alexander debated how far he could push, but he wanted to get back so he stood and lazily stretched. “Great discussion, like always.” As he walked away, Richard spoke.

“We plan on moving Hunter to a local human hospital.”

“What.” Alexander froze, then turned. “Why?”

“He’s human, and he’s not pack. Dr. Kulkarni doesn’t have the time or equipment to take care of him.”

“He’s my mate. If he leaves, I leave.”

Richard gave a mirthless laugh. “Neither of you has filled out the paperwork to get him status and you are a pack member in bad standing. Either way, you’re not leaving. This is my territory, and I have already decided.”

“People were trying to kill him!”

“Which is why we can’t keep him on territory. We already have enough problems as it is. I’ve contacted his organization; they’ll send someone over to watch him.”

“No,” Alexander walked over to the desk. “Hunter’s not going anywhere.”

“On whose orders?” Richard stood and towered over Neil, but he didn't back down.

“On mine,” he growled. “We might not see eye to eye, but there is no way you think it’s safe or right to send a targeted human to a civilian hospital alone. Whether or not paperwork has been filled out, Hunter is my mate. I won't let that happen.”

“That’s the exact reason why he can’t stay on territory. It's risks enough with you. To add another one,” Richard gave a snarling smile. “Trouble. Too much of it. I have over a hundred and fifty people I am responsible for. I’m not compromising that. Especially for one human.”

“You’re acting as if there're enemies at our door. Our attackers weren’t some elite group. At most, they were some punks with magic. If Hunter stays in Packland, there’s little they can do. But at a normal hospital. Do you really want to put both the supernatural community and the humans there at risk?”

“Now, now you tell me something about this attack! How am I supposed to know? You’ve told me nothing. Constantly avoided my questions. Constantly talked back! Running around like you have no responsibilities! As if you’re entitled to this protection. You want my help, well I don’t give it for free!” Richard slammed his fist against the table. “I’m done. I’ve made my decision. He’s transferring today.”

“Richard, if you do this transfer, you are a coward,” Alexander’s tone was cold. “You can’t even protect one human. When push comes to shove you’d rather throw him out to die where you can’t see it. How did you ever become Alpha with such a weak will?”

“Is that a challenge?!”

“And if it is?”

“Then I accept,” Richard tore around the desk, heading out of the office as Alexander followed. He wasn’t ignorant of the rules of the Pack. There was always a right to challenge the Alpha if they failed at their duty. An Alpha could turn it down if there was only one person behind it, but a group was a different affair. However, that didn’t matter as Richard had accepted his challenge anyway.

Once they exited the building, the werewolf stopped and let out an ear shaking howl. It echoed through the area, reverberating in the air before falling into silence. Slowly a few howls responded, at first hesitant before they became surer.

“That was?” Alexander lifted an eyebrow.

“We’ll need witnesses,” Richard spat out and led him the rest of the way to the outdoor ring.

The fight started once three pack members arrived.

Alexander wasn’t sure what he expected as Richard flung him across the dirt. In the beginning, he thought he was doing well. Ducking and weaving, avoiding the strikes of the werewolf. Every time his opponent overextended he’d attempt to capitalize, kicking at his shin to knock him off balance. While smaller, Alexander was far more agile as he slipped underneath a grab and punched at his back. Though the moment he went to strike, everything fell apart.

He got the swing in, however, Richard whipped around and grabbed him by the shoulder. Pain ran through him as the wolf's claws dug into the wound before he threw Alexander to the ground with a loud thud.

Dirt filled the air, blinding Alexander as he rolled away. A heavy thump told him he had just avoided a hit as he kept moving until Richard grabbed his tail. Harshly pulled, he let out a shocked grunt as the werewolf dragged him into a barrage of blows. There was little he could do besides protect his face from the heavy hits. That was until Richard knocked his arms away and a punch buried into his nose. A loud crack followed, but that didn’t stop him.

Dazed, Alexander just kept trying to protect his head as the werewolf refused let up. If he didn’t stop… the beginnings of a curse started in his mind. Luckily a shout broke over the thick sounds of his face being beaten in.

“That’s enough!” Rusty roared as he yanked back his nephew. “It’s been called you dumbass!” But Richard ignored him, forcing the older man to throw him to the side. With more room, they squared up. But the alpha didn’t stop as they got into a match all their own. No one dared to interrupt as Trisha pulled Alexander up.

“Fuck what was he thinking?” She looked over her cousin’s face and grimaced.

“He’s not,” Alexander coughed as he tried to not breathe through his nose.

Behind them, a yelp came as the fighting got worse. Richard pinned Rusty with a pair of teeth to his throat.

“Richard." Everything quieted when Brody approached. Dressed casually, he appeared much weaker compared to the two werewolves, but he was unafraid as he held up his hands. “Richard you need to calm down.”

“What is he doing?” Alexander asked as Trisha focused on the scene. At first, it seemed like Richard was going to switch his ire to Brody, but the moment he made eye contact with the man, his demeanor changed. From tense to relaxed as he let go of Rusty.

“He's calming him,” Trisha tore her gaze away to look at her cousin again. “Can you walk?”

Alexander nodded.

“Then go to the infirmary. We’ll settle things over here. Just yea, stay there for a while.”

---

It took Michael a moment to decide where he stood. He understood Richard’s concerns, but his reaction was irrational. What were the chances that a group of mages would raid a location where their magic didn’t operate normally? The only one he knew among them who could properly fight was Giselle, but against a bunch of werebeasts, it would be suicide.

“I know that look,” Alexander disrupted his debate. “This time it’s not my fault. He might say that transferring you out is for the safety of the pack, but I know it’s just to get back at me. I don’t know what his problem is…”

“Alexander.”

“I get it, I haven’t been on my best behavior. Still, I told the truth, even if he doesn’t want to believe me. He knows exactly what he is doing by threatening to move you out. If this was a normal mission, he wouldn’t have won.”

Michael rubbed his forehead as his ever-present headache kicked up. “There’s nothing we can do now. I’m sure Dr. Kulkarni will handle it. And I’d be shocked if Rusty and Trisha won’t have a few words with him as well. As for Brody…” He paused, a bit interested in this calming ability he had. “It’s lucky they all were there. Let’s leave it to them to handle this mess. If all else fails, Easter has a hospital close by.”

“If all else fails, I’ll deal with him the way I know best.”

Michael shook his head, “No, let it be.” He could see his partner wanted to argue, so he switched topics as he pulled over his research. “Anyway, I’d like your help.”

Laying out his notes and evidence, Michael gave him a quick breakdown of the work he had done. Alexander nodded along but took a particular interest in the runes as he sped through the grimoire before looking at his husband.

“This is a lot of work for someone who is supposed to be resting their brain.”

“It’s not that much. My brain is fine.”

“Your spirit is fine,” Alexander chided him. “But from the way you kept rubbing your head and squinting, your brain isn’t.”

“I can’t review this stuff when Hunter’s asleep. It’ll be fine. Anyway, they were sloppy this time and left us a good lead. We now have a name, runes, notebooks, and even a phone. Better than empty corpses.”

“What happened to the host’s health being the priority?”

“None of this is that complex. Just some simple searches and light reading. Also, isn’t it you who told me it is easiest to get information from a man who thinks themselves clever.”

“Gain influence over a fool,” Alexander corrected.

“Same difference. I found our attacker and her info. It might not be the entire organization, but it’s a step closer none the less. And it’s way better than an unknown enemy. Also, I have a t h e o r y.” He sang out the last word with a smirk. “But I’d like to hear your opinions on the runes first.”

“And this theory?”

“Ah! Opinion first,” He pulled out the one rune he hadn’t cracked. “What do you think this symbol is?”

Alexander didn’t need to look over the rune, he knew it. But between it and the grimoire, he didn’t understand how these symbols were in this world. “If I did not know you, I would think you were pulling a trick on me.”

“What do you mean?”

“That rune with everything else, it’s a soul trap.”

“A soul trap?” Michael frowned. “No, it’s a mini-blood realm.”

Alexander shook his head and laid out the last rune again. He knew it well. Too well in fact. It used to be a favored symbol of his when he was younger and far less committed.

“Baby, I know my lesser demonic. That is a symbol for soul entrapment. I mean it’s more complex than that, but in simple terms when laid with the rest of the runes, it would technically capture a soul. As for the vessel or other conditions, I’d have to see how they were placed. But that’s what it means.”

“Why is there lesser demonic in this world?” Michael sat up, concerned as he looked at the rune again. “Are you sure? I found some similar runes in the Hunters’ Archive that belonged to a cult. It might just be a coincidence.”

“I would say so too, but that grimoire is filled with several nonnative symbols. I don’t know how that woman got them, but there's even primordial and other chaotic tongues.”

“Could Charlotte be possessed or dealing with a demon?” Michael suggested.

“Really?” If she was, they would have smelled it. Few outsiders could slip past them. “Whoever gave them to her didn’t tell her how to use it properly though. I’m not shocked it failed, you can’t just shove lesser demonic into any non-demonic syntax.”

“How do you know?”

“Because the script the Archive uses has never worked with demonic of any form. It normally implodes or fizzles out before anything is done. To get it to function takes extensive workarounds and expert spellcraft knowledge.”

“So you can do it?”

“Well, of course. But why would I? It’s easier just to use lesser demonic or another demonic script or even chaotic for it. As ‘useful’ as this runic system is, it’s limited in its grammar and intention arrangement. If I worked in the Archive, I would have rebuilt it into something more flexible.”

“Please, back to the point.”

“This is rune is incompatible, the spell failed, and that’s why we escaped.”

“Well, then my theory might be wrong.”

“What was your guess?”

“That Hunter ate it,” Michael sighed. “But what you said makes more sense. Though I don’t know what caused that anxiety attack then.”

“Why do you think he dispelled it?”

“Because I had a similar experience when entering the blood realm in Banyan's Hallow. Figured maybe Hunter’s getting an area of effect or they directly aimed the spell at him.”

Alexander paused before nodding. “There’s a chance it could have been both. The spell could have still functioned, just not well, and then Hunter’s ability finished it. We’d need the caster here to figure that out.”

“We’re out of luck there, I doubt she’ll poke her head out for a while. So we should examine everything she left behind. Let’s look at this chain,” Michael laid out the cleaned silver. The markings were small, but with the help of a magnifying glass they could make them out.

“This is just gibberish.” Alexander held his head. “There is lesser demonic laid next to lower demonic, I even see some breach speak. What is this?”

“You’re the one with the eyeball.”

“I’m afraid if I use it, the thing will shrivel up at the sight.”

“Pull out the damn thing, it’s not like it’s gotten any exercise in the last three worlds.”

Alexander sighed but lifted his hand. The smooth flesh of his palm wiggled and squirmed until a round shape pressed up from underneath before splitting down the middle. In the breach, a white orb appeared before twisting to reveal two mismatch irises. It flickered around a bit before focusing on the chain.

“Still as cute as ever,” Michael smiled.

“That’s why it’s original owner should have been more careful.”

“And the contract you gave them was completely fair.”

“They were a demon, they should have known better.”

“So what do you see?” He nodded.

“It’s just as mismatched as it looked. I’m shocked it only burned me. With so many conflicting scripts, this is more a ticking time bomb than a curse. Most of these shouldn’t be in the Fragments. Damn, there’s even Overseers’ Cant in here.”

“What’s that doing there?” Michael frowned and looked at the chain. Overseers’ Cant was a language system rarely seen outside of the books and papers of the Overseers and their close advisors. There was no logical reason it should be down here.

“Your guess is as good as mine. It’s inert, much like most of the symbols. But the runes at work are pulling at each other,” Alexander put away his eye.

“Let me dispel it.” Even though the Doctor had mentioned getting a professional, now knowing that outer scripts were at play it would be irresponsible to let anyone else handle the item.

“With Hunter’s blood or…”

“I’m just going to eat it,” Michael said straight forward. “It’s not that powerful in the entire scheme of things, and it’s just easier. Then I can break it apart in my free time.”

“You have such bad habits.” Alexander scolded but monitored their contract as he slipped off the bracelet. Once off, Michael summoned a shadow from under the bed and dropped the chain in. It sank in, disappearing into the darkness before the shadow retreated and Alexander reattached the ward.

“So, what do you plan to do with all of this?” Alexander asked as he looked over the gathered evidence.

“Give it to Brody. It’s been a decent distraction,” Michael leaned back with a yawn.

“What happened to Ellen?”

“Well, she’s not dead, but wherever she is, I can’t reach her. Best thing to do is go by the rules and pass it on to the next logical point,” Michael shrugged.

"What do you think she's doing?"

“My money's on cracking the case. Something happened with the fae, so she's probably gone off-grid.” He chuckled. "Maybe she's hiding from a betrayer in our ranks."

“Want to make a bet?” Alexander smiled.

“What’s at stake?”

“Hmmm, If I win, you have to move in with me after your discharge. If you win, I’ll move in with you instead.”

“Quite the steep wager,” Michael smirked, then nodded. “You suggested it, place your bet first.”

“One week. She’ll reappear and have this wrapped up.”

“Three days. It’s the equivalent of the climax. If she takes longer, I’d be shocked.” Michael rolled his eyes. “Oh, if she’s dead, then what?”

“We both lose, so we both have to complete the punishment.” Alexander smiled.

“I hope she shows herself soon then.” Michael yawned again. “Alright, that’s enough of using my brain. I’m going to go deal with the chain. If Richard comes back, wake me up, I’ll beat his ass for you.”

“Yes baby,” Alexander hummed.

7