1.32.1 The Blood that Binds
56 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The infirmary room was chaotic as everyone squeezed in to discuss last-minute arrangements. Between Richard temporarily stepping down as Alpha, Rusty filling for him, a needed rearrangement among the Hunt packs, and a mix-up in who was watching Hunter, there was still a lot to get straight. And frankly, the noise was giving Michael a headache.

“It’s fine, it’s fine,” he rubbed his temples before waving his hand at Ashe, “the more the merrier.” But the worried look on her face refused to waver even as she nodded.

“If it’s alright by you…” her soft voice trailed off, nearly lost in the loud chattering. The loudest among them being Shelly as she enthusiastically gave her little boar protegee one last round of advice for her hunt.

“Please, you’ve come all this way. It’s my fault for not telling Brody earlier. It would be rude to send you away now. Anyway, I’m afraid Shelly would get bored if someone else wasn’t here.” As he said that he glanced over only to see his sister slip something into Ester’s canvas satchel. What it was, he didn’t know. But he hoped it would only cause minimal property damage. “She’d fuck with me in my sleep if left allow. Probably draw dicks all over my face or worse. With you here, she might behave.”

“You assume she won’t help me,” Shelly interrupted as she winked at Ashe. “What happens between us girls, stays between us girls, right?”

“I suppose…” the woman unsurely responded.

“Don’t cause trouble,” Michael shook his head.

“I’m not,” Shelly said, “It’s a common phrase.”

He held up his hand and pretended to whisper towards Ashe, “How about I send Shelly home and we just hang out tonight?”

“How cruel,” Shelly lamented.

“It seems you all are getting along well,” Brody walked over and put an arm around his girlfriend’s waist.

Ashe slightly flinched before nodding.

“Aye, we’re just figuring out what prank we’re going to pull on Hunter first. I’m thinking of gluing his hand to his face,” Shelly said.

“Come on, I’ve only got one good hand. How about balancing some cups on my forehead instead?”

“Who said you get a choice in it?” Her warm laugh filled the room as she patted him on his leg. Currently, his shoulder was unavailable as Alexander leaned against it

“I would have offered to join the watch myself…” Brody began, but Michael waved away the comment.

“She’s just playing around. Anyway, you’ve gotta stretch your beast’s legs. It’s a perfect night for it. I would be out there too if I could.”

“I’ll sneak you out then,” Alexander smirked.

“Behave,” Michael knocked his shoulder.

“I don’t thin-” Shelly began only to be interrupted as Ester crashed into her for one last hug. But the child continued to cling to her shins as she slowly dragging her off.

“Aye, kiddo,” she patted Ester’s head before turning back to her friends. “Hold on guys, I’ll be back in a second.” With that, she followed her apprentice off.

“She’s got a way with kids,” Ashe watched them from behind her thick black bangs.

“Probably because she likes them,” said Michael.

“She’ll be a great mom one day.”

He barely stifled a laugh as he shook his head. “I wouldn’t quite say that…”

“Why not?”

“Darling,” Brody grabbed his girlfriend’s attention with a smile. “There’s something I’d like to talk to you about in private. I hope you two don’t mind if we head out for a moment.” He turned to look at the husbands as they chilled on the bed.

Neither opposed, as it gave them a bit of alone time.

“Exhausting,” Michael mumbled as he buried his face into Alexander’s arm.

“My offer still stands.”

“Well, I don’t. Well… can’t. Though it is so tempting.”

“How can you doubt me so much?” Alexander chuckled as he played with the end of Michael’s braid.

“Why am I not shocked you have a plan?”

“I think you’ll appreciate it. It uses one of the eyes you’re ever so fond of.”

“It’s more I’m fond of the being they are a part of.”

“You’re as sweet as ever, baby.” The words came out a low purr as he leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his forehead. For the briefest of moments, a small gold symbol lingered upon his dark skin. A simple oval eye that curled delicately at the corners and shimmered under the fluorescent lights. But just as quickly as it had come, it vanished as Michael accepted the bit of infernal magic.

“The grimoire inspired you?” Michael playfully asked.

“Less inspired, more reminded me of what was possible. Unfortunately, I can’t go far past that. Neil has no talent for magic.”

“It’s more than enough.”

“We’ll see,” Alexander sighed. He didn’t want to leave his spot. Even as he felt the supernatural pull of the full moon, he was much happier here. Though try as he might, he still ended up leaving with everyone else to go to the meetup field.

The room was spacious with only three of them left.

Shelly reclaimed her chair next to Michael as she threw her feet up on the edge of his bed and played with her phone. Ashe took a different post as she settled into a chair close to the door. It was awkward though, as it was far from both of them.

There was some time before Michael could use the connection, so he turned to Ashe, “Again, sorry for messing up your evening.”

“No, no.” Once more she fiercely shook her head, causing her long hair to fall over her shoulders. “It’s really fine. Brody would have been here anyway… um… this is what we normally do.”

“Ah, a veteran,” Shelly said as she put her phone down. “You two should exchange numbers, I’m sure this won’t be the first moon you’ll spend together. Also, why don’t you come closer? The chair ain’t bolted to the ground.”

“Right, sorry,” she stood.

“Stop being sorry about everything. If you need them, I can give you some confidence lessons if you want.” Shelly waited until the woman was beside her to throw an arm around her shoulder. But before she could touch her, Ashe pulled away.

“Ah, sorry. I’m not… comfortable touching others,” she said.

“Oh, I should say sorry myself,” Shelly quickly moved back. “I’m too used to tackling Hunter. I should have asked.”

“It’s fine.”

“That’s rough dating a werebeast. They are the hugging type,” she continued.

“It can be sometimes… I’m pretty good at dodging out of the way,” Ashe said with a weak laugh. Quietly, she fixed her hair back as she looked between Shelly and Hunter. “You two are siblings, right?”

“Yup, he’s my baby brother,” she quickly said. Beside her, Michael rolled his eyes but still nodded.

“I can see the resemblance.”

“Really?” Shelly raised an eyebrow. “Well, I suppose he did inherit some of our family’s roguish looks,” she laughed. “What about you, got any siblings?”

Before she could start her game of twenty questions, Michael faked a yawn. It was about time to test out Alexander’s small magic. “Alright you two,” he rubbed his eyes. “Enjoy yourself and don’t get into too much trouble. I’m going to sleep.”

“Sweet dream,” Shelly smirked. “Don’t let the bedbugs bite.”

“The only bed bug here is you,” he retorted before dozing.

In the darkness, he pulled at the tentative connection. He had some vague memory of doing something similar many worlds ago, but his skill for it had dulled as he tested it a few times before stabilizing it.

Slowly, the unending darkness faded into a massive people filled field. It wasn’t hard to place where it was the glowing branches of the Protector tree swayed in the evening breeze. The last vestiges of sunlight clung to the night, soaking everything in a warm purple hue. So far away from civilization, the stars burned bright in the darkening sky. Hundreds swarmed around a heavy moon that shone even brighter than the sun.

The soft lull wind echoed as the sound sank in. The silence soon became a symphony of evening ambiance as the wind and creatures of the night complimented each other and the sounds of gathered werebeasts. Trisha was giving Alexander a quick introduction to their pack, though he was more focused on looking around.

Michael gave a thank you for the gorgeous view before sinking in and readying himself for the Hunt.

A/N

Sorry for disappearing for a month. October was something. Either way, I'm slowly getting back into the groove of things. However the story will wrap up with only this arc. I way overshot what I had planned to do and kind of lost the beat of things. It had never been my intention to go over 130K for a first arc and I learnt a lot about restrain along the way. Still everything set up will be resolved, just a lot quicker rather than drawn out over a hand full of arcs. Thank you for sticking around while I troubleshoot this mess of a story!?

7