1.33.2 the Blood that Binds
44 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ugh."

Bored, Alexander looked at his warden. "Is something the matter?"

He made another disgusted noise, "You're just… ugh. I don't know why Harrison didn't let me watch the human. He's at least good looking."

"By far," Alexander smirked and settled his cuffed wrists on the table. "Though I doubt Brody cares about what either of us would prefer."

"Speak for yourself."

Alexander shrugged, "And you are?"

"Doesn't matter," the man replied, fidgeting in his chair.

Alexander laughed, his gaze running over him. There wasn't anything of note about the stranger. His only remarkable feature was his meticulously maintained long black hair that he had pulled into a fashionable style that almost gave him a sense of roguishness.

"Come on," the phrase came out a whisper as Alexander leaned forward, a devilish grin on his lips. "It would be rude of me to make up a name for you. Why don't you give me your name?"

It was just the two of them in there. Nothing could distract the other man as a sudden need overcame him. It was a desire—a desire to say his name. Alexander didn't move, keeping their eyes locked. The stranger's lips trembled as a sense of dread crawled up his spine before a warm familiarity swept it away. Even if Neil's face wasn't the type he went for, there was an attractive youthfulness that entrapped him. The human twitched a bit before relaxing.

"It's just your name," Alexander pressed on, his tone alluring. "Give me your name."

"Ashley Lee." It slipped out.

"What a nice name. I'll take good care of it. Thank you." Alexander let out a deep breath before stretching his neck. It had been a while since he had to pull out such an old trick. Though this lower soul stood no chance once he used it. "Now then," his smile grew cold, "there are some things I want to know. You'll answer those for me, won't you, Ashley?"

Ashely froze, his expression growing dull as he nodded. "Yes."

"Good, good," Alexander steepled his fingers and leaned back. His cuffs rattled against his sleeved wrists. Brody had lent him some clothes after throwing him in the car. Sure, it was so he could cuff him, but at least he knew that not even the main vermin was immune to his persuasion.

"So, first of all. How many of your cult are currently at this location?"

"Twenty… thirty… probably more."

"Where are Hunter and Trisha being kept?"

"Hunter is in the storage room on the third floor. Trisha is two rooms over."

"Great," Alexander sighed and lifted his wrists. "Undo my cuff-" He stopped as he heard someone approach. Dropping his arms, he turned to Ashley and loosened his control. "Act normal."

Confusion retook Ashley's face before Brody entered.

"Long time no see," Alexander smirked while observing his captor. Brody had switched into a suit and fixed up his hair. Though even with those changes, his exhaustion was apparent. A hint of haggardness dulled his skin, making him gaunt under the harsh lights. Not precisely what Alexander was expecting. However, the most offensive thing was the stench of blood that clung to him. "How are the preparations going? Drawn enough blood circles?"

"Ashley, go check on the other sacrifices," Brody said. Ashley didn't respond until Alexander covertly nodded, then the other man moved.

"Fine, better than looking at his ugly mug," Ashley chuckled and left.

"Oh, want some personal time, I see?" Alexander leaned back. "We chatted so little in the car. I was afraid you were angry at me."

"Shut up," Brody growled before sitting. "I can't believe I had to force Richard to attack you. You are almost more frustrating than that human of yours."

"Truly, I'm worse," he laughed and put his chained feet up on the table. "I've been told that I am incredibly charming, exceedingly handsome, and horrendously annoying. Now, what can I do for you, my dear cult leader?"

"Die," Brody responded.

"Right now?" Alexander's mirthful expression didn't falter, but his face stiffened. He was still suffering under the backlash from his earlier curse, so he wasn't sure he could cast another one at the moment. Let alone while making full eye contact with a fragment dweller. "I'm afraid that I'm not prepared for that. Though…" he gave a sly smile, "I feel as if you're not prepared either. The atmosphere here is pretty dry for a blood sacrifice. Actually, I'm being cruel. You've prepared almost everything, years upon years of planning. I really should excuse a few last-minute mishaps."

"This would have been easier if you had been home that night."

"It's not in the nature of a Kitt to make things easy for others. Anyway, you would have still had to get Trisha."

Brody shook his head and gave a sharp, hollow smile that was more akin to a sneer. "No, we wouldn't have bothered with Trisha. If the entire Kitt clan died right there, this would be over. No additional mess or sacrifices. Instead, you had to prolong this by not being home."

"I'd say it's more your fault. Or your master’s fault. Now I'm not a cult expert, but I'm going to give you my opinion, anyway. Your boss looks quite nasty. Are you sure this is a smart decision? It likes flayed bodies and blood fountains a little too much. I'd hate to see something happen to your handsome face."

"I fear not the Great One's power. Even with the additional requests and inconveniences, we have gathered everything here. Tonight, we make the last sacrifice and put an end to this summoning started forty years ago." Brody stood and walked around the table towards Alexander. "The last son and daughter of the Kitt clan, the last daughter of the Ortega family, and that damn anti-magic hunter. With your sacrifice, we will call them forth and prosper after so many hard-fought years."

"I'm just going to say it. This is a horrible idea on your part. What protections do you have for yourself if this Great One wants you next?" Though he couldn't tell Brody about it, Alexander had too much experience with 'greater beings,' and almost all of them were egomaniacal charlatan with a nasty habit of betraying anyone who worked underneath.

"You don't understand. Not that it matters. It's too late to stop it," Brody leaned against the table, staring down at Alexander. "I have to admit it, you two ran me through the wringer. From destroying my realm to escaping the Blue Room." He sighed, closing his eyes. "When the Great One told me to grab that human, I thought it would be easy. After all, no magic, no beast form, no firepower. It shouldn't be hard, right? But each step of the way, god, he made sure to make it."

"Please tell me how. I love to hear about my lover's accomplishments."

Aggravated, Brody straightened and paced around the room as the weeks of grievance remained fresh in his mind. "First, he resists my mental control. Then the council gets involved. Then his damn mother gets involved. Next, you two have the audacity to destroy the Blue Room plan, and then lastly, he can't even behave and properly transfer to a human hospital! I'm at the end of my rope. Do you know how many resources I had to burn for all of this? Do you know how much of a risk it was for me? I even had to influence fae lords to get that damn plane walker out of the way. Had to steal evidence, steal people, and destroy everything that led back to me." He clenched his trembling hands. Alexander felt a shift in pressure as the psychic's control slacked.

"He is quite talented. I am a blessed man," Alexander interrupted his monologue with an affectionate sigh before lowering his chair.

Brody glared at him. "Savor what memories you have. As you'll never see him again."

For a moment, Alexander's casual appearance froze over. A malicious, hostile glint sharped in his eyes as a hint of shadow flutter past his features. His smile dropped into a neutral scowl. "I wouldn't say such things so confidently."

The psychic ignored his threat and grabbed him by the hair. "You're up first, and then Trisha. Hunter will be the last, so I guess he'll get to see you one more time. At least part of you, anyway."

"The night is still young," Alexander spat back.

A silver dagger appeared in Brody's gloved hand, and he brought to bear on the wereleopard's forehead. He cut into the skin and methodically dragged it as Alexander squirmed beneath him. It was as if hot coals were being buried into his flesh as Brody pressed deeper and hit against the skull.

Alexander caught his cry, burying it deep in his throat. He refused to make a sound. He would not satisfy the bastard by giving away his pain. The action took only half a minute, but for him, it was an eternity. Brody finally released his head, pushing him back as he looked down, dissatisfied.

A stuttering laugh left Alexander. "You didn't draw a dick, did you?"

"It upset Charlotte that we couldn't recover her necklace," Brody flicked the knife around. "She thought it was one of her crowning achievements. She enchanted all of tonight's tools, actually. I have to agree, that chain was a fine piece. This dagger doesn't compare."

"She's just a shoddy craftsman," Alexander hissed between bared teeth.

"It wasn't a dick," Brody answered. "Not that you'd understand what it was, even if I told you."

"Give me a chance. I might surprise you."

This time it was Brody's turn to laugh. He eyed his captive for a second, then shook his head and dragged out the symbol onto the table.

At first, Alexander watched in mock interest only to have the color to drain from his face. He fought to keep his demeanor, but his captor noticed the shift, much to his amusement.

"Are you happy? It's not a dick."

Alexander didn't reply.

Mockingly, Brody kicked against his shin. "Come on, what's so shocking? I think it's quite attractive. Charlotte was upset that I wouldn't let her write it down."

"What did it promise you?" Alexander asked, his eyes not leaving the symbol.

"Huh?"

He regained his composure and gave a shaky laugh. "You don't go through all this trouble for nothing. Organizing such a large group of murderers is hard work, even with psychic persuasion. What did this thing promise you?"

"More than you'll ever understand."

The shakiness in his laugh strengthened into a desperate cackle before Alexander quieted. "The stars and the moon, I see. I get it. It's all tempting when they come to you with arms filled with gold and seductive promises. Promises of success, of profit, of every little desire, fulfilled." He looked up at Brody, his fear barely disguised. For a moment, he broke character. "Quit. Quit while you're ahead. There is no prize at the end of this deal. No winning. This is not something you can handle." Was this overstepping the boundaries? Probably, but what these morons were playing with was far beyond their minuscule scope.

Brody chuckled at the warning. "Now, you get it. This is the end. Though you still can't help but be a cunt."

"I'm not teasing!" Alexander shot up only to be brought back down by his restraints. He stared at Brody and forced his charm. But it fizzled on the energy that surrounded the man. The blood he had smelled earlier... it wasn't on Brody. It came from him. Infused him. And now, it had become even more potent as Alexander retreated. "You fucking idiot!"

"Well," Brody said, delighted, "this has been fun. Unfortunately, I still have a few more things to prepare for the ritual. Don't worry, Ashley will be back soon to keep you company. He might not be quite like Hunter, but if you squint, it's close enough." He started for the door.

"Brody…"

The psychic stopped at the handle.

"I mean it. Stop this now. At least chose someone else. Anyone else." It was killing Alexander, but he couldn't tell Brody why. Hell, he barely understood how things ended up this way. The triplets had said it was a weak energy signal!

"See you later, Neil," He smiled and left.

"Fuck!" Alexander roared, yet his restraints didn't give. All he left him with was the dagger and that symbol. Something that looked so unassuming on its own.

A web way of lines pooled inside of a single teardrop and encased in a wave. When carved into the table, it looked like misplaced graffiti. But the simplicity hid an endless bloody history. Even Alexander's knowledge of the sigil was incomplete. He had only learned about it when snooping around the Director's private library.

This thing carved into the table was the calling sigil for one of the Seven Insatiable. They could only be described as pure aspects of chaos. An inevitable force that even the Overseers and their loyal dogs once feared. Destroyers who tormented the cosmos, bringing down fragments and worlds alike. An unstoppable torrent of suffering, destruction, and agony. A group who devoured anyone who stood against them and forced their own creator to kill them for fear that they would never stop until they consumed the entirety of existence.

The official records stated they were all dead, executed by the Director. But he knew that was bullshit. If they did everything correctly, Michael wouldn't be alive.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Even a demon king would have been better than this. He flicked through his contracts. He had ignored them for fear of pulling unwanted attention onto himself, but right now, he needed some help. But none would stand a chance against this monster. That was if he could even summon them.

The air had turned thick with the smell of blood. It pressed down on him, turning the space claustrophobic as it enveloped him. The summoning location wasn't close to him, but he felt it all the same. The constant presence of Michael's contract fluctuated as Alexander flinched. It sensed its brethren.

"Ashley Lee, get back here right now." He commanded. He planned to let the face stealer be his ace up the sleeve. But that was before he knew what he was dealing with. He needed to find Michael, and they needed to get the hell out of there.

6