The Krockman: SSS (part 12)
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3 hours till 

Arlo patiently waited in his apartment for their arrival. These people that Cooper mentioned. The people that he agreed to host for the night. He was not sure why he agree to this, but he was happy to help out an old friend. Besides, Cooper did mention that these people were mortals, so at least they could relate to each other. Of course, considering how he seemed when he came by earlier, who was to say they were not as crazy as he was.As Arlo was thinking this over, he heard a knock at the door. “Oh crap, they’re here,” he said to himself as he made his way to the front door. “Well, might as well get this over with. They probably won’t be as bad I think... hopefully.” Opening the door, Arlo was greeted by an odd trio. One was a nervous looking blonde man in a button up shirt, another was a troll girl, and the third was a fairy girl. “Uh, hi there,” the man said nervously. “Are you Arlo?” “Yeah, I’m Arlo,” Arlo answered. “I take it you’re the guys Cooper was talking about.” “Oh yeah, I’m Chad, and this is Chelsea and Lana,” the man said in reply. “Krockman told us to stay over here where it’s ‘safe’.” “Right, well anyway, come on in. Make yourselves at home,” Arlo said, showing the little group inside. 

Inside, Chad and the others were looking around the apartment, taking it all in. “So this is it,” Chad said as he looked around. “This is where Krockman got his start. Kinda like seeing where Stephen King or Edgar Allen Poe was born.” “Yeah, I guess that’s one way of looking at it,” Arlo said in reply. “Of course, if you really want to see where it all started, you’d have to go back to his family.” “You know, now that you mentioned it, I don’t think I’ve ever heard him talk about his family,” Chad said, sounding a little shocked. “Well, I don’t know much about his family life,” Arlo said in reply. “All I know is that he has an older brother named Andy, he has a nephew, his mom’s a pretty nice person, and his dad... well, they’re not speaking to each other.” “And Krockman... what was he like?” Chad asked curiously. Rubbing his chin, Arlo answered, “Well, he was a little odd to say the least. I’m not saying he’s as crazy as he is now, but he was eccentric.” 

As Arlo and Chad were talking, Chelsea was looking at a covered recliner. Driven by curiosity, she lifted the sheet a bit and peeked underneath. What she saw shocked her. It was indeed a recliner, only there was something that was very disturbing about it: a single bullet hole right where a person’s chest would be covered in a dark brown stain. Frightened by this, Chelsea gasped as she dropped the sheet, catching Chad and Arlo’s attention. “Is everything alright?” Arlo asked. Pointing at the chair, Chelsea answered, “What happened to this chair? There’s like a huge blood stain on it and a bullet hole.” “Oh, you found that,” Arlo said, a serious look growing on his face. “That’s the chair Cooper was sitting in when he... well, you know.” Panicking a little, Chelsea asked, “You mean... oh god, were you the one who found him afterwards?” Arlo only lowered his head a bit, simply answering with a quiet, “Yes.” 

Suddenly, Lana interjected, asking, “Hey, sorry to interrupt, but do you mind if I use the restroom? I need to take care of something.” “Oh sure,” Arlo said in reply. “It’s over to the left of my bedroom.” “Thanks,” Lana said before turning towards Chelsea and saying, “Hey Chelsea, you mind coming along with me? I might need your help.” Looking a little confused, Chelsea said in reply, “Um, sure, I’ll help.” With that, the two girls made their way towards the bathroom. In the bathroom, Lana was making her way up onto the sink while Chelsea looked on in concern. “Hey Lana, is everything alright?” she asked. “You seemed kind of worried about something.” Looking serious, Lana explained, “I was just thinking about what you said back at the summerhouse, about how I haven’t ordered my heart medication in god knows how long. My condition should’ve killed me by now, and yet... here I am, still alive. How is that even possible?” “I... don’t know,” Chelsea said, now deeply unsettled. “Do you have a theory?” Looking around nervously, Lana leaned in closer and whispered, “I think Krockman might have a hand in this.” Taken back a bit, Chelsea asked, “Really? Why?” “I’m not sure,” Lana said in reply, unsure. “Do you think he’s trying to make a point, like he’s saying that he’s in control of our lives or something?” “No, I don’t think so,” Chelsea said worriedly. “I mean he’s a dick, but he’s not that big of a dick. Look, I don’t know. Whatever he’s doing, you seem to be getting a good deal out of this. If I were you, I’d say you enjoy it now and talk to him about it later.” Rubbing the back of her head and floating into the air, Lana sighed as she said, “I... I guess you’re right. Krockman wouldn’t screw us over like that... right?” Satisfied with this, the two girls made their way out of the bathroom, unaware that Lana’s reflection remained in the mirror, taking on the form of a shrouded woman with long insect wings. It sighed a bit. 

 
2 hours till 

In Dr. Olan’s office, Olan was on the phone talking to one of his patients. “Yes Miss Salazar, I understand your upset. I know exactly how you feel,” he said as he stroked his beard. “Just remember to do your breathing exercises. We’ll talk more about this tomorrow. See you then.” As he was hanging up the phone, Olan heard the door open. Turning around, he saw that it was another one of his patients and a close friend, Sergeant Fred Calhoun. “Ah, Fred. I’m glad you made it,” Olan said politely as he sat down at his desk. “Tell me, what brings you here today?” “Well doc, I don’t know how to say this,” Calhoun said, rubbing the back of his head. “But I’ve been... seeing things lately.” Eyeing the sergeant, Olan asked, “Alright, this might be a bit personal, but given your history, have you been drinking recently?” “Oh trust me, I haven’t had a drink in a long time,” Calhoun said in reply. “It’s been happening for a few months now.” 

“It all started a few months ago when I was interrogating this guy who shot his wife, Roderick Alstein I think,” Calhoun continued explaining. “This guy not only killed his wife, he was also abusing his authority as the landlord of his apartment to bleed his tenants dry and tried to drive them all out to sell the property off and killed his own dad just to get the deed to the place. I tried asking him some questions, but he kept ranting about some guy named Krockman. Last I heard of him, he’s in the state pen under suicide watch. After that, things got... weird.” Intrigued by this, Olan said, “Fascinating. Go on.” “Well, a week after that, I saw this guy walking down the street accompanied by two women, though they acted more like dogs or pets than actual people, and everyone who saw them didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. A few days later, the missus and I were vacationing in Seattle, when I was confronted by this big... spidery werewolf thing. Scared the shit out of me, I’ll tell you that much. Got so scared, I actually cut my vacation short. And most recently, I was chasing after this stoned out street performer, only for him to turn into this weird cat riding on the back of a bus. Tell me doc, am I losing it or what?” 

Having heard this, Olan stroked his beard as he thought it over. Finally, he answered, “Fred, my friend, you’ve nothing to worry about. What you’ve experienced is something that several people have experienced. I myself have had a similar experience just a few months ago.” “Really?” Calhoun asked. “How so?” “Well, earlier, you mentioned that that Alstein person was shouting about a person named Krockman,” Olan explained. “Well I met Krockman personally. He’s a mad man, and he’s planning something for New York.” Looking concerned, the sergeant asked, “Seriously? What’s he planning?” As Calhoun asked this, a third voice interjected from no where, stating, “I can answer that.” 

Shocked by this, Fred turned towards the source of the voice, only to come face to long nose with a strange looking man. He was a tall, lanky man, dressed in a nice suit  and sporting a white beard, wrinkled skin and liver spots. His most distinguishing features was his inhumanly long nose and white glowing eyes, looking more like a cartoon character than anything else. “Jesus Christ, where did you come from?!” Calhoun asked, shocked by the man’s sudden appearance. “Ah, Misfit, I’m surprised to see you here,” Olan said in a pleased tone. “How have you been?” Shocked by this, Calhoun asked, “How do you two know each other?” “I met Olan during that encounter with Krockman he mentioned,” Misfit explained. “I am Misfit: Krockman’s handler. And just who might you be, Officer?” “The name’s Calhoun, Sergeant Calhoun to you, and I’m Olan’s patient and his oldest friend,” Calhoun answered curtly. “Back in my days as a detective, I was working on a particularly gruesome case that really messed me up. My captain suggested that I get psychiatric help, and the only one I could find was Olan. Fixed me right up and the rest is history.” “Well, there were a few bumps in the road here and there, but we’ve been friends ever since.” Nodding at this, Misfit said in reply, “Ah, a touching story. Nothing like the frivolities of youth to warm the cockles of your heart.” 

Eyeing the lost soul, Olan asked, “Misfit, if I may be so bold to ask, why are you here?” “Ah yes, about that,” Misfit said in reply as he adjusted his tie. “I am here for one simple purpose: to make sure that Krockman doesn’t do anything that will cause irreparable harm to the natural order of things.” “And how exactly is he gonna pull that off?” Calhoun asked, growing a bit impatient. Hearing this, a worried look crossed Misfit’s face. “I can’t say for certain,” he said, sounding unsure of himself. “I’ve already said too much as it is.” “Too much?!” Calhoun shouted angrily. “You’ve barely told us anything at all! Who is this Krockman guy anyway? A nut job? A home grown terrorist?! What is he!?” As the police sergeant was shouting, Olan stepped in, shushing him as he said, “Calm down Fred. I have an idea. Just go along.” With that, Olan turned towards Misfit and asked, “Misfit, would you be interested in an exchange of sorts?” Perking up a bit, Misfit asked, “What sort of exchange?” “Well, think of it as an exchange of information,” Olan explained. “You ask us any question you want and Calhoun and I will answer it to the best of our abilities, and vice versa. Since I’m suggesting it, I’ll let you ask first. Does that seem fair to you?” Thinking it over, Misfit answered, “Very well then, that seems like a fair enough compromise. In fact, it just so happens that I have an issue that you might be able to help me with.” With that, the old lost soul cleared his throat and began. 

“Back when I was alive, I married a beautiful woman named Margaret Bathory. We lived a fairly happy life, with me being the sole heir of a textile company and all that. However, it wasn’t until I visited a traveling circus that discovered my true passion: I wished to become a circus clown,” Misfit explained proudly. “Of course, my wife was less than thrilled with my decision (though, being a catholic, she couldn’t divorce me). Over the course of my career, I became rather popular amongst the other performers, but at the same time, I was neglecting Bathory more and more, which only made her all the more bitter. I didn’t think much of it at the time, and even after death, I was convinced that she was just bitter, hateful woman. Recently, however, I found her lying on the ground, crying her eyes out. She wouldn’t tell me what she was crying about, but I could sense an feeling of absolute despair from her. It made me think that maybe she’s not as bad of a person thought she was. So my question is, is there anything I can do to improve my marriage, show her that I truly love her?” 

Having heard this, Olan thought it over for a bit, furrowing his brow as he tried to come up with an answer. Finally, he answered, “Well first of all, I certainly wasn’t expecting your question to be about marriage advice, but I can handle it. Secondly, the only advice I feel is appropriate is to just let her know you love and care about her... you do still love her, right?” Looking sheepish, Misfit answered, “Yes... maybe.” “Personally, I make an effort to do things my wife likes,” Calhoun interjected. “So every other week, we go to a wine tasting at some winery out in the country. I hate every minute of it. All the wine tastes the same and the guy pouring the stuff makes me feel like an idiot for pointing it out, but I still go because my wife enjoys it. Maybe that’ll help you.” Thinking it over, Misfit smiled at this, saying, “Well, that’s some good advice. Thank you for that. Now, I believe I owe you two an answer.” 

Hearing this, Olan and Calhoun thought about their question carefully. Finally, after making their choice, Olan turned towards Misfit and asked, “Alright then, now we understand that there are certain things you can’t discuss about the true nature of things (though I was able to figure out for myself pretty easily), and we respect that. I suppose the only question we can really ask is this: should we be afraid of Krockman?” Misfit’s smile faded away when he heard this, replaced with a deeply solemn look. “That depends a good deal on what he’s doing at the time,” he finally answered. “You see, when I first met Krockman, he was no different than any other lost soul; a bit moody, but then again, he did die recently at the time, so it was understandable. However, when he attained godhood, there was a clear and noticeable change in his attitude, more aggressive, more domineering, more... bombastic. His first act as a god was to lead an army to claim the Ruins of Babel as his base of operations. After that, he grew lazy and idle, doing whatever he could to distract himself from his work... until now.” Looking worried, Calhoun asked, “So what’re you saying?” “I’m saying that Krockman, god or not, still has a very human mindset,” Misfit continued, taking a moment to gaze upon the city from the window. “And if there’s one thing more dangerous than a god with human desires, it’s one with ambition and a goal.” 

1 hour till 
At the tv station, Krockman was sitting in the makeup room with Roquella and Alucard, getting ready for the press conference. Looking at himself in the mirror, Krockman asked, “Well guys, what do you think? Do I look good enough to go on stage?” Looking Krockman over, Alucard said in reply, “I’d lose the trench coat. Gives you a sort of out of work P.I. look.” “No way, man,” Krockman retorted. “This is my style. The trench coat is my signature style.” “Fine, fine, keep the coat,” Alucard said in reply. “Just trying to give an honest opinion.” “Well, I’d like to look my best,” Krockman explained. “This is my first time in front of an entire audience, and my first time in dealing with Ben Mason in a long time. I’m just trying to emotionally steel myself to his brand of horse shit.” Looking concerned, Roquella asked, “Cooper, you’ve been talking about this Ben Mason guy like he’s the scum of the earth for awhile now. Is he really as bad as you say he is?” 

As Roquella asked this, the door to the changing room opened up, revealing it to be Ben Mason himself and a short, blonde woman (possibly Ben’s assistant, Beth Collins). “Hey there, Krockman!” Ben shouted loudly, trying to act friendly. “You ready for tonight’s conference?” Muttering a silent ‘fuck’ to himself, Krockman answered, “Hey Ben. Yeah, I’m getting ready for the thing. Don’t worry about it.” “That’s fantastic,” Ben said reply. “Hey listen, I’m gonna need you to come up with a few things to say about Ron’s new show. Doesn’t matter if you’ve heard anything about it. Just say something positive about it, okay?” Looking confused, Alucard chimed in, “Shouldn’t he actually hear about the show before forming an opinion?” When he heard this, Ben cast a dirty look towards the lost soul, asking, “I’m sorry, I don’t believe we’ve met. Are you a writer? A producer? A member of the board?” “Uh, no, but...” Alucard began before being interrupted by Ben retorting, “Then why the hell are you talking?” 

“Look Ben, I’m not sure you should be depending on this ‘Ron’ guy’s idea,” Krockman said, a little offended by the man’s attitude. “I mean, I’ve read the synopsis for that Dark Vault episode he wrote for, and I gotta tell you, it left a lot to be desired.” Confused by this, Ben asked, “What was wrong with it? I thought it was pretty good.” “You’re kidding, right?” Krockman asked, sounding almost perplexed. “The whole episode was about a group of friends slowly getting killed off by a serial killer, only for the final girl to be revealed to be the killer’s girlfriend, but also having orchestrated the whole thing, and then the two just have sex right there amidst the bodies of her supposed friends.” “And your point is...?” Ben said in reply. “Look, it doesn’t matter if you like it. This proposal is going to save the studio. Besides, you owe it to me after your bitch ex-girlfriend ruined the company’s reputation. “With information that you told her while you two were boning,” Krockman retorted, glaring at the CEO. Ben only glared back at Krockman before saying, “Just do it, you asshole.” With that, Ben left, leaving Roquella and Alucard in shock (and Krockman thoroughly unsurprised). 

Finally finding her words, Roquella only said, “Oh... my... god.” “Yep, that’s Ben Mason in a nutshell,” Krockman said in reply. “I... I don’t even know what to say?” Roquella said, still in shock of Ben’s dickishness. “I do,” Alucard chimed in. “I’ve never wanted to brain someone with a tire iron more than that guy.” “Yeah, well the only bright side to Ben being here is that he’s basically on the chopping block like everyone else,” Krockman said as he reclined in his seat. “Though he doesn’t seem to be acting like someone who’s about to be fired.” “Yeah, that’s mainly because he doesn’t know he’s going to be fired,” Beth explained. “Are you serious?!” Krockman said, chuckling at this. “How’s that even possible?” Looking awkward, Beth explained, “It’s mainly because I made sure he didn’t know. It’s part of the deal I made with the higher ups.” Hearing this, Krockman’s expression grew more stern as he asked, “Deal? What deal?” “Well, as long as I keep the whole ‘sinking ship’ thing under wraps, the board will give me a bonus for every employee at the studio,” Beth continued, clearly uncomfortable. “That’s part of why I’m trying to cover this up...” “To protect your bonus,” Krockman added in a hollow tone. Feeling uneasy, Beth slowly backed out of the room, quickly saying, “Okay, you’ll be on in thirty minutes. See you there.” With that, Beth left the room, leaving Krockman to stew in his anger. 

Eyeing Krockman nervously, Alucard said, “Hey buddy, um, are you okay?” Krockman did not answer, simply glaring daggers at where Beth was standing. “Uh, well, the others are waiting for us in the audience, so if you need anything...” “Just... go,” Krockman growled. Taking their queue, Alucard and Roquella left the room, leaving Krockman alone. “Is there not one honest person in this goddamn studio?” he asked himself as he got up from his chair. “Fine then. If these bastards want a spectacle, I’ll goddamn give them one.” With that, Krockman left the room, plotting all the way. 

Thirty minutes later, the press conference was underway. Ben had delivered the usual arbitrary jargon to try and distract the crowd from the studio’s situation. The infamous Ron, a short, dumpy little man, with black hair, had given his proposal for a new show, a nebulous, violence and sex filled schlock that was standard for HBO. In the audience, the other Seven New Gods were nervously waiting for Krockman, while the group in Arlo’s apartment and Dr. Olan’s office, the two parties were watching the conference on the tv with bated breath. Suddenly, Ben stood up and announced in a loud voice, “And now, ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to one of our talented writers (returning from a long leave of absence): Mr. Cooper Krockman!” Hearing this, Krockman made his way onto the stage and sat down at the desk with Ben, Beth, and Ron. 

As Krockman sat down, Ben asked, “Well Krockman, how are you doing today?” “I’m doing pretty good Ben,” Krockman said, trying to fake his enthusiasm. “I’m happy to be here.” “Well, we’re happy to have you, Krockman,” Ben said in reply. Smiling at this, Krockman thought to himself, “Oh, I bet you are, Ben.” “Anyway Krockman, earlier  you and I talked about the new show made by our own Ron Lannitz,” Ben said, smiling proudly while lying through his teeth. “Is there anything you’d like to say about it?” Glancing over at Ben, Krockman put on a forced smile and said, “Of course Ben, but first, I’d like to talk about a very serious matter: the war on drugs.” Understandably, everyone was confused. 

Eyeing the lost soul curiously, Ben leaned in and whispered, “Hey, uh, Coop, w-what are you doing? We’re talking about the show here.” “Why yes, Ben,” Krockman said, completely disregarding the manager. “I do believe it’s a waste of the taxpayers’ money. Imagine how much money we could save if we had a nationwide legalization of marijuana (not to mention how much the government can tax the crap out of it).” As Krockman was ranting, Ron finally spoke up, “Um, excuse me. Aren’t we supposed to be talking about my show?” Hearing this, Krockman stopped for a second, simply saying, “No. We’re never going to talk about your show. Please shut your stupid mouth.” “Hey, come on man, the focus group we showed it to thought it was good,” Ron protested impotently. “Oh sure, they liked it,” Krockman retorted sarcastically. “They also probably liked Keeping up with the Kardashians.” Looking shocked, Ron meekly said, “Woah, dude, that’s pretty low.” “Almost as low as the possibility of you actually being talented,” Krockman retorted through clenched teeth. “Hell yeah! Let’s hear it for Ron Lannitz: a man who’s entire career is due to the nepotism of a disgraced pedophile!” Hearing this, the entire audience burst out in fits of laughter. 

Unamused by this, Ben interjected, “Can we please stay on topic. This is a serious matter.” “Is it really?” Krockman asked sarcastically. “I mean we all know why we’re hear, right? The company’s business practices hit exposed, and your trying to do damage control. Honestly, this whole press conference is one big joke.” Reclining in his seat, Ben smirked as he said, “Really? Well if anyone knows a good joke, it’s you Krockman. Though, I’m curious what’s gonna happen when you run out of jokes.” Hearing this, Krockman’s smile faded away, replaced with a look of disgust as he asked, “What’s that supposed to mean?” “Well, since you asked, let me spell it for you and everyone else here,” Ben said, folding his hands in anticipation. “Cooper Krockman is... well, he’s some nobody bumpkin from the south who puts on airs of sophistication and only got his job because of a mailing error. That last part isn’t hyperbole or me being rude, that’s literally what happened. He was mailing a manuscript to a publisher and somehow it ended up at HBO’s headquarters. Apparently, they liked it so much, they hired him (probably out of pity). He worked at the same studio I previously worked at, he never once showed me the respect I deserved, and when I made a few constructive changes to his show proposal, he freaked out and we had to fire him. After that, he just fell off the map. And now, after almost a year, he comes back, smugger than ever, toting along an entourage of idiots, and treats the whole press conference as a joke. So why then should we listen to the opinion of a guy who doesn’t care about the company. So Krockman, do you have anything to say for yourself?” When Ben had said this, the entire room fell silent, save for a strange, grinding sound that made Ben’s skin crawl. Looking towards Krockman, Ben noticed that he had been glaring daggers at him the whole time, his lips slightly parted to expose a set of sharp fangs grinding against each other. 

Unsettled by this, Ben nervously asked, “Uh, Cooper, we’re waiting for...” “You know what Ben, you can go fuck yourself,” Krockman snarled ferociously. “Oh, there it is! There’s that lack of respect I told you about,” Ben said triumphantly. “First of all, Ben, you called me here to get your ass out of the fire after you leaked the information to my girlfriend while you were sleeping with her,” Krockman retorted. “And as for why I don’t care about the company...” At that moment, Krockman took off his trench coat, followed by his shirt, revealing something horrifying to the crowd. In the center of his chest and straight through his back was a bullet hole surrounded by spatterings of gold. “This is from when I shot myself after you ruined my career,” Krockman explained in disgust. “I’ve been dead for close to a year. What’s your excuse for not caring about the company?” 

Horrified by this, Ben could only stammer, “I... I...” “I... I... What’s the matter? Is your teleprompter broken? I mean look at you sitting there, all stiff and rigid. You look more like a corpse than I do, and I’m the one with the fucking bullet hole in his chest,” Krockman retorted. “You know what you are Ben? You’re an old idea in a new suit. You think you’re my superior because you went to an Ivy League college, like I’m supposed to just automatically respect you for doing nothing?” Finally finding his voice, Ben responded, “W-well I think I deserve a little respect.” Unfazed by this, Krockman retorted, “Yeah, well I got news for you, buddy: nobody respects you, not even your bosses. That’s why you got put in charge of this sinking ship of a studio. That’s why you’re on the chopping block!” Looking surprised, Ben feebly stated, “Th-that’s not true.” “Yeah, it is,” Krockman snarked. “You think you have this cozy relationship with the higher ups, but the truth is, nobody working at HBO cares enough about each other to even deal with them.” “Now hold on a second,” Ben snapped. “I’ll have you know we here at HBO have a strong community with each other.” “Oh, you’re a community now, eh?” Krockman asked sarcastically. “What about the last manager? Y’know, the guy who jerked off to pictures of small children? He was working here for the past twenty years and none of you knew what he was doing in his private time? Your lives are such mysteries to each other, which is actually the opposite situation for all the shows you guys produce. Seriously, no matter what source material you use, you basically boil it down to the same plot over and over again. There is no mystery left in your shows anymore.” 

At this moment, Ron interjected, “Hey man, my writing’s pretty mysterious.” Having put up with so much crap, Krockman finally snapped. “Oh... my... god... will you shut up already!” he shouted furiously. “Seriously, dude, you want all this attention as if you actually cared. Like you really gave it your all with that Dark Vault episode. You know, what started off HBO was this sense of luxury, this sense of high end wonder, and what has thus far concluded it is this sense of forced obligation. You ask of us not of our ability to think deeply about something, but our ability to write a check, sit on our ass, push a few buttons, and stare at a screen for an hour. You ask us to sacrifice an hour out of our lives to try and form an emotional attachment to a group of the most vapid, vain idiots to ever foul a tv screen. You ask us to suspend our disbelief and believe that a woman would spend five years befriending a group of people just to take them to a motel in the middle of nowhere, just so her serial killer boyfriend can pick them off one by one. Fan-frickin-tastic! We got a instant classic right here! No awkwardly shoehorned sex scene at the end amongst the dead bodies that’ll totally alienate the audience. Oh wait, that’s exactly what happened! You know what you are Ron? You’re a spoiled rich kid who had everything bought for him, never had to work a day in his life, and the minute you go out into the real world, you can’t hack it! Why should you make an effort?! Why should you break the mold!? Everyone just agrees with your shitty ideas because your uncle talked you up like you’re the god of writing! But you’re not a writer. You’re a doughy, pampered snob who thinks he can coast through life scot-free because his uncle’s the manager. Fuck you, Ron! Fuck you!!!” Having heard all this, Ron stared at the lost soul in shock, visibly shaking before collapsing to the floor, bursting into tears and screaming, “Oh my god!”

 Finally having enough, Beth stated, “Alright, Mr. Krockman, I think we’ve heard enough. I’m going to have ask you to leave.” “Oh that’s rich coming from you,” Krockman snapped in annoyance. “You’re even worse than these idiots.” Looking shocked, Beth retorted, “Excuse me?” “Yeah, it’s true,” Krockman explained. “Why don’t you tell everyone what you told me, Beth. Y’know, about your little deal with the Board of Directors.” Stammering at this, Beth tried to defend herself by steering the conversation back to the show, only for Krockman to drown her out by screaming, “Tell them the truth,” over and over, growing louder with each repetition. Finally, Beth snapped, screaming, “Shut up! Just shut up!” Unfazed by this, Krockman stated, “She’s trying to cover up the whole incident because she’s going to get a bonus for every person that gets fired. Yeah, that’s fucked up. At least with Ben and Ron, they have to deal with the fallout, but Beth... she’s actually benefiting from it. She’s someone who gives less of a shit about the company than any of us combined!” Mortified, Beth simply hung her head in shame. “But do you all want to know who’s really responsible for the problems at HBO?” Krockman asked as he gathered up his shirt and his coat. “All of you!!! Yeah, that’s right! You watch the shows, you complain about the content, but what the hell do any of you do about it, hm!? You all want something different, something new, something to believe in, and that’s why I’m here. At the stroke of midnight, I’m going to make you all believe. And Ben, you asked me why I don’t care about the company. Well why should I?! Nobody cares!!! This has been Cooper Krockman, everyone!!! Have a good, fucking night!!!” With that, Krockman flipped everyone off and stormed off the stage, leaving everyone in an uproar. 

Backstage, Krockman and the other Seven New Gods were gathered together, discussing what had happened. “God, that felt great!” Krockman shouted ecstatically. “You guys have no idea how long I wanted to say that to Ben.” “Yeah, we’re happy for you, Krockman,” Alucard said in agreement, though his tone was less than amused. “But did it have to involve you exposing the existence of the afterlife on live television in the process?” Looking peeved, Krockman asked, “And when exactly did I do that?” “When you ripped of your shirt and showed everyone the bullet hole in your chest,” Alucard retorted. “Seriously, what’s your plan here?” “Hey, don’t sweat it. It’s all part of the master plan,” Krockman casually said in reply, only to be met with a chorus of groans. “Christ, Krockman, I’m gonna strangle you if you say ‘master plan’ one more time,” Z-Wrap interjected in exasperation. “Seriously, what the hell are you even going to do here?” 

Before Krockman could answer, Beth showed up, looking absolutely furious. “Uh, can we help you?” Krockman asked in a confused tone. All Beth did in response was run up to the lost soul and slug him in the face. Clutching his face, Krockman shouted, “Ahh god! What did you do that for?!” “You ruined everything, you freaking idiot!” Beth shouted wrathfully. “Now I’m never going to get those bonuses!” “Well boo-frickin-hoo,” Krockman retorted, recovering from his punched face. “As if I’m supposed to care about the opinion of some social parasite. You’re the one who’s trying profit off your coworkers losing their jobs. I mean seriously, why would you tell me that and not expect me to throw it back in your face?” “You don’t understand. I was trying to get the money for the others,” Beth explained. “I was going to wiretap it to them after the studio went under. Everyone except Ben.” Looking surprised, Krockman sheepishly said, “Oh... you were actually helping the others... and screwing over Ben.” “Yeah, no shit genius!” Beth shouted furiously. “Do you really think you’re the only person that Ben ever screwed over? I mean you killed yourself, yes, and I’m sorry about that, but at least you didn’t have to deal with him anymore. Ever since he tricked me into sleeping with him, I had to go into work everyday, knowing that he’s watching me and imagining me naked.” Hearing this, Krockman could only respond with a disgusted look, saying, “I’m... sorry to hear that. Although, I do know a guy who’d make a pretty good boyfriend for you.”

At that moment, Ben burst into the room, equally furious looking as Beth was. “You son of a bitch!” he roared. “You ruined me! You ruined my career!” “First off, go blow a goat, you dipshit,” Krockman snarked in reply. “Second of all, as I’ve told you before, you ruined yourself with your own wandering dick. Finally, even if i did play along, you still wouldn’t have been able to get Ron’s show on the air because you both were about to get axed.” Looking awkward, Ben sheepishly said, “Well... yeah, whatever.” “Y’know, it’s funny,” Krockman said as he slowly approached Ben. “This whole time, I thought I was the only one you ever screwed over, but Beth here pointed out that you’ve been doing this kind of stuff to everyone working here. You can only imagine how that makes me feel.” Feeling nervous, Ben slowly backed away, noticing how monstrous Krockman looked all of a sudden, with his sharp fangs, claw-like fingers and glowing green eyes. Krockman only smiled at this, saying, “Oh the things I’m gonna do to you.” 

Suddenly, the lights went out, leaving the only the soft glow of the Seven New Gods’ eyes to illuminate the room. Looking surprised, Krockman only smiled as he said, “It’s time.” With that, Krockman and the other Seven New Gods vanished in thin air, leaving Ben and Beth in darkness. “Hey! We’re not done talking!” Beth shouted, running out of the room and out of the building, dragging Ben along for the ride. Outside, they were met with an unsettling sight. Not only was the entire city blacked out, but it was also it was also deathly quiet, save for a low, distant rumbling sound. Something was very wrong. 

Meanwhile, over at Arlo’s apartment, Arlo was busy looking for flashlights. Chelsea and Lana were sitting on the couch, talking about what just happened. At that moment, Chad came into the apartment, saying, “Well, it’s official. The whole city’s gone out. Also, there’s an older, Latina woman saying praying to a picture of the Virgin Mary. Should we be concerned?” “Oh yeah, that’s just the landlady, Ms. Salazar,” Arlo explained. “She’s a little religious and got freaked out by Krockman’s whole ‘coming back from the dead’ thing.” Looking at Arlo for a minute, Chad said in reply, “You know, a few months ago, I totally would’ve been weirded out by what you said, but after spending time with Krockman, it’s not that surprising anymore.”

Suddenly, Lana gasped, clutching her chest in pain. “Lana?!” Chelsea said in shock, realizing what was happening. “Oh my god! Lana! Guy’s! Lana’s having a heart attack!” “What!? Oh my god!!!” Arlo shouted as he and Chad rushed over to help. “Oh god, oh god, oh god! How did this happen?!” “She has a heart condition!” Chelsea explained frantically. “She usually takes medication for it, but Krockman’s been keeping it under control... until now. Just go find some aspirin, now!!! Chad, call 911!” As Arlo and Chad were looking for aspirin, Chelsea was trying comfort the young fairy, saying, “It’s gonna be okay Lana. We’re gonna get you help, and you’re gonna be alright.” As Lana lay there, sweating profusely as he chest tightened, her eyes grew wide as a thought occurred to her. “I finally get it,” she said weakly. “I finally get what Krockman was doing.” “What are you talking about?” Chelsea asked in confusion. Looking at the troll, Lana answered, “He was keeping all four of us alive this whole time. We should’ve been dead months ago. That’s what my soul told me.” With that, Lana closed her eyes one last time, and breathed her last breath. 

As Chelsea stared on in horror, Chad and Arlo came back with the aspirin in hand. “Alright, we couldn’t get 911 (disturbingly enough), but we did find the aspirin,” Chad said, only to notice Lana’s body. “Is... is she...?” Looking up at Chad with a doleful look on her face, Chelsea answered, “We’re too late.” “She... she died?!” Arlo said in shock. “Oh god, not again.” Noticing the disapproving glares that his guests were giving him, he quickly added, “Sorry, that was insensitive.” Suddenly, to everyone’s surprise, Lana’s body glowed brightly before vanishing, leaving behind a large, shimmering orb. It did not take long for anyone to realize what they were looking at: it was Lana’s soul. The soul floated a foot into the air from where it formed and as quickly as it appeared, it bolted out of the apartment, startling Mrs. Salazar even more than she already was. “Lana! Wait! Don’t leave us!” Chelsea screamed as she got up and chased after the soul orb. Turning back to the others, she shouted, “Don’t just stand there! We have to catch her!” With that, the little group ran out of the apartment and chased Lana’s soul down the street, ignoring the strange rumbling sound that was emanating from the city itself. 

Over at Dr. Olan’s office, the trio had taken notice of the unusual outage. Looking concerned, Misfit asked, “Is it normal for the entire town to go out like this? I haven’t been in New York in a long time, and I’m not sure how much has changed since.” “No, it’s not,” Calhoun answered in an annoyed tone. “It’s normal for a building, maybe a block, but not for the entire city.” “I’m assuming this is Krockman’s work,” Olan said in a nonchalant tone. “That’d be a fair guess,” Misfit stated as he looked out the window. “You two stay here. I’ll go see this for myself.” “Woah, hold it there pal,” Calhoun retorted. “I’m a sergeant of the NYPD. I’m not just gonna sit in this office while some whack job’s running around out there doing god knows what to the city.” Staring at the policeman for a second, Misfit sighed as he said in reply, “Fine. Just don’t get hurt out there, alright?” With that, the trio made their way out of the building. 

As they walked out of the building, they saw something in the distance. At the far end of the street was a large structure, almost like a large doorframe with a few pieces of wood serving as internal support at the top. Staring at the structure in confusion, Calhoun asked, “What the hell is that?” “It’s a torii gate,” Olan answered, just as confused as his friend. “It’s a structure normally associated with Shintoism and Buddhism over in Japan. Although, I’m not entirely sure where this one came from.” “It was Krockman,” Misfit interjected, his eyes narrowing to a glare at the gate. “Back in Limbo, torii gates serve as teleportation devices. I’ve seen him building a new gate just outside of our home city, yet I never saw the gate that it connected to... until now.” Looking shocked, Calhoun asked, “So what you’re saying is this thing leads to the afterlife?” Misfit only nodded in grim agreement. 

Suddenly, the streetlights leading towards the gate began to flicker as a strange, rhythmic clanging began to fill the air. As the clanging grew louder, the lights dimmed a bit, filling the various onlookers with a strange combination of dread and wonder. A drumroll joined the cacophony as golden energy gathered in the gate, swirling and spiraling to form a vortex. As suddenly as the production began, the streetlights flashed back on, revealing a large parade coming forth from the torii gate. The Thousand Scrap Night Parade had arrived. 

The parade was a strange and amazing sight to behold. It was mostly made up of scraps, with Teddi and Ningyo leading the way. Large numbers of mice and rat-like people were playing musical instruments as several insectoid women danced in time with the music. In the air, countless shards of broken souls sparked and crackled in loops and spirals, occasionally floating to ground and entering into various objects, creating new scraps in the process. Riding on a large float was a large werewolf, a nine tailed fox monster, and a large cat monster with an anglerfish lure sitting on a throne and dressed in a cape and crown. Following close by was a small group of pig people dressed in fanciful chef’s uniforms, lead by a large scowling pig man riding on the back of a taxidermied ostrich while wielding a large spatula as a scepter. 

The strangest feature of the parade was a bank of golden fog rolling along the ground, bewitching everyone and everything that was caught in it. For example, a group of business men caught in the fog slowly sway from side to side as they stagger into the parade, slowly morphing into totem businessmen as they chanted in unison, “Everything’s dreamy when your living in a dream. No more anger, no more pain when we’re so happy and mundane!” Meanwhile, a flock of pigeons end up joining the parade, turning into fine madams and dapper gentlemen, chanting, “Working up from bread crumbs to fancy French baguettes, we live our lives so poshly with very few regrets.” From a clothing store, the mannequins jitter to life, strutting out onto the streets and lifting their skirts a bit as they sang out, “If a picture’s worth a thousand words, then an album’s worth a lifetime.” Immediately, a swarm of smartphones with limbs flopped underneath the mannequins, screaming “Money shot!” as they took pictures of their nonexistent privates. Amongst the crowd, a congregation of church goers were striding through, wearing robes of money that covered gold skin as they chanted, “All these crazy people forgot what religion’s all about. If God and Buddha changed religions, what will happen to the devout.” Up on a balcony, a strange looking scrap resembling a fat, little politician with elephant ears and a donkey tail was sloganeering to the crowd, his head flying off his body as he shouted, “If your unhappy with your government and feeling kind of blue, don’t serve the politicians, let them serve you!” On one of the floats, a group of scraps lead by Milbert and Wrappa were clambering on board as they were reaching for a strange scrap resembling a small mall cop with wheels instead of legs. Frantically swinging around a nightstick, the scrap shouted, “I am the authoritah appointed by the gods!” “Yeah, but who’s gods?” Wrappa retorted sarcastically. “Your gods? They’re not our gods.” With that, the group of scraps dog piled onto the segway scrap as they chanted, “We didn’t choose you. We didn’t choose you.” 

Staring at the surreal sight, Calhoun asked, “What the hell are we looking at?” “This is the Thousand Scrap Night Parade,” Misfit explained, sounding annoyed. “This is only the most recent incarnation of various ‘spiriting away’ festivals. The Wild Hunt, the Hundred Demon Night Parade, all of them exist, simply and solely, for one purpose: to expose the true nature of reality.” “Funny, I could’ve sworn Krockman already accomplished that when he announced it on live television,” Olan interjected. “True, but that was only his word against all of existence,” Misfit answered in reply. “Here, he’s exposing it for all that it’s worth.” Looking worried, Misfit continued, “Come, we have to get out of here. It’s not safe in this place anymore.” With that, the group of old men ran off, trying their best to stay as far ahead of the parade as possible. 

Meanwhile, up the road, Beth and Ben were busy scouring the street for Krockman. “Krockman! Where are you!?” Beth shouted furiously. “We need to talk!” “Uh, Beth, is this really worth it?” Ben asked nervously. “I mean, Krockman’s not exactly human at this point anymore, is he? Do you really want to piss him off at this point?” Glaring at her boss, Beth retorted, “First of all, this isn’t the workplace. I’m not taking orders from you anymore. Second of all, Krockman’s capable of reasoning, and he has a lot to answer for.” Before Ben could say anything, the two heard a loud ruckus off in the distance. Turning around, they saw a large parade making its way up the street, most revelers being monsters of some sort. “What the hell is that?” Beth asked in a confused tone. “We should probably get out of here.”

As she was turning, she noticed that Ben had a weird look on his face, staring off in a trance. “Ben? Didn’t you here what I said?” she asked in an annoyed tone. “We have to get out of...” Suddenly, Ben grabbed Beth by the wrists and pinned her to the side of a nearby car, staring at her with a lustful look in his eyes. “Ben!? What are you doing!?” Beth asked, completely horrified. “Come on Beth,” Ben said in a salacious tone. “We’ve been doing this dance ever since we slept together. Don’t know what’s going on down the street, but it’s pretty obvious things are going to shit. Why not consummate this bad boy and have the thrill of the lifetime. Come on Beth, let’s do this! On your mark, get set, live baby!” Utterly disgusted by this, Beth kicked Ben in the crotch, screaming, “Oh my god! What the hell is wrong with you!?” However, the minute her foot connected, Ben’s crotch crumpled like a bunch of paper, which only made her even more terrified. Staggering back a bit, Ben began to change. His face lowered down to his chest, becoming a mask as his suit slowly transformed into paper. From where his head used to be, a bouquet of wilted flowers sprouted forth as his arms became a pair of ribbons. As the strange monster tottered off into the parade, he sang out in a garbled tone, “Love and Karma Sutras will always takes root, if there’s no flowers, there’ll never be fruit.” 

As she stared on in horror, Beth felt something pinch her butt, causing her to yelp. Turning around, she was shocked by the appearance of her assailant: a tween-sized, grey weasel wearing tattered, orange shorts and a red sash staring up at her with two small sparks floating in hollow eye sockets. Chuckling a bit, the weasel said, “Nice ass.” “W-what? Who are you?” Beth asked nervously. “What happened to Ben?” “Oh, Ben’s not going to be bothering anyone again for quite awhile,” the weasel said in reply. “Consider it part one of a favor Krockman’s doing for you.” Looking confused, Beth asked, “Um, okay. What exactly is part two then?” At that moment, she felt multiple, nubby hands grab onto her and lift her up into the air. Looking down, she saw that it was a trio of ball-shaped monkeys, one wearing a black eye mask with red X’s, one wearing ear muffs with green X’s, and one wearing a surgical mask with a blue X. Carrying Beth to the back of the car, the monkeys waited patiently as the weasel opened up the trunk before tossing her in. “Don’t worry, lady. Everything’s gonna be fine,” the weasel said in a condescending tone. “You’ll be out in no time. Until then, try not to breathe too deeply.” With that, the weasel closed the trunk, trapping Beth in darkness. 

Later down the street, Chad, Chelsea, and Arlo were chasing after Lana’s soul when they saw the parade. “What the hell is going on over there?” Chad asked, momentarily thrown off by the strange display. “Is this what Krockman was planning this whole time?” Looking at the parade, Chelsea only shrugged her shoulders, saying, “Weird monsters, painfully attention grabbing as possible, surreal shit going down... yeah, that seems about right.” As they were staring at the parade, Lana’s soul sparked a bit as it floated over towards a large caravan, a door opening up in the roof to allow it inside. “What the... hey! Lana just went into that caravan!” Arlo said, alerting the others. Seeing this, Chelsea lead the way as she shouted, “Come on! We need to catch up with it!” With that, the trio made their way into the parade and tried to work their way towards the caravan. 

The parade traveled throughout the city, slowly gathering more participants along its meandering course. After what felt like an hour, the parade stopped, gathering in front of a large stage in Central Park. As the scraps and various transformed residents and animals waited fervently around the stage, a balcony slowly extended forth from the top of the stage, revealing Krockman and the other Seven New Gods. Taking a moment to admire his handy work, Krockman smiled as he pulled out a large handbell and rang it. As if on cue, the crowd parted, allowing the caravan to pull forward and open up. Out from the caravan came a troupe of mysterious robed figures, slowly making their way up to the stage as strange, synth chanting played in the background. Leading the figures was a shrouded woman with long insect wings. 

When the robed figures walked up onto the stage, they took their places, making strange motions as if they were tuning instruments. Just then, the lights went out and the chanting ceased, casting an eerie silence over the crowd. As soon as the silence came, it was immediately broken by a loud guitar riff, causing the lights to come back on and revealing the now unrobed figures. Among them was Poe, Tom, Terry, Foxy K, and the enlightened scraps, all of whom were standing near the shrouded woman while wielding microphones. However, the most interesting sight was that of a few familiar performers: a tanned guitarist with a mohawk wearing a red letterman jacket, a broad, black bassist with dreadlocks, a fashionable looking keyboardist wearing a scarf, sunglasses and a pompadour, a heavyset drummer with his eyes obscured by his baseball hat, a violinist wearing a brown and red dress and her hair in a loose bun, and a chubby, middle aged man with a little mustache and an accordion. It was the Urban Gods, back for one last live performance. 

Taking in the crowds applause, Jimmy smiled at this before shredding on his guitar, starting the show with “The Real Me” by The Who. The crowd was whipped into an uproar as they jammed out to the rocking ballad of one man’s lifelong struggle with schizophrenia. As the show went on, Chelsea simply stared on, dumbfounded. “This was Krockman’s big plan?” she said in a confused tone. “A parade and a concert?” “You have to admit, it’s a pretty good selection so far,” Chad said, shimmying his shoulders in time with the music. “Right, well anyway, we really need to find Lana,” Arlo interjected. “Do you think she’s still in that caravan?” Looking up on stage, Chelsea squinted at the shrouded woman as she said, “Actually, I think I might know where she is.” Waving the others on, the trio made their way through the crowd towards the stage. 

As the first song finished up, the Urban Gods began playing the next song, “I am the Walrus” by the Beatles. As the band played, a giant screen on the backdrop flickered on, showing a strange film. In it, four nomads, a man and three women, were wandering through an inky black desert, blissfully unaware of the world around them. Suddenly, up from the sand rose seven wizards, each armed with a staff crackling with energy. The lead wizard, clad in a green and brown robe raised his staff in the air, summoning an entire hoard of puppets to his side. With the hoard gathered, the head wizard lead them in a strange, ritualistic dance, much to the amazement of the nomads. Seeing the nomads, the wizards waved them on, inviting them to join the dance. Accepting the offer, the nomads took their place amongst the puppets, dancing in time with the wizards. As the ball progressed, the nomads’ clothes began to change, becoming more regal as energy filled their bodies. When the dance was the done, the puppets disbanded and the wizards vanished back to whence they came, taking the newly initiated wizards with them. 

The next song the band played was “Rhinestone Eyes” by the Gorillaz. On the screen, a new film began to play. It started with a zoom in on a large fortress, stopping at the gates. Suddenly, the gates exploded, revealing a silver demon running from a hail of bullets. Walking out after it was a queen, a berserker woman, and another woman armed with a machine gun. Once the demon was far enough away from the fortress, it turned around to face the queen, glaring hatefully at her and pointing accusingly. The film then cut to a flashback, showing the silver demon as a mere imp. Suddenly, a woman (presumably the queen) walked up to him, offering her hand to the imp in friendship. Initially wary, the imp took the hand, only for the woman to squeeze it intensely, suggesting a more sinister intent. The film cut back to the present, the silver demon scowling as he opened up a portal, summoning a massive hoard of demons to attack the fortress. While the berserker did manage to take out the silver demon, the film does end abruptly at the moment the other demons reach the queen and her consort, implying their tragic end. 

After “Rhinestone Eyes”, the band played another Gorillaz song, “Momentz”. Here, Kama and the other enlightened scraps filled the role of De La Soul, dropping the phatest, sickest beats imaginable. It was truly a rocking performance. As the song ended, the bombastic beats slowly faded to a softer, more somber tune, transitioning to “Empire Ants”. Walking forward, Tom began to sing, his voice practically angelic. As the cait sith sang, the shrouded woman slowly made her way center stage, gingerly removing her shroud. When the spotlight focused on her, she was revealed to be Lana, resembling her human self but with her new insect wings. 

As Lana sang, Lamar stared on in shock. “Lana!?” he said in disbelief. “What is she doing here!? Why is she a lost soul!?” Looking on in shock, Krockman stammered, “I... I... I don’t know.” “What do you mean you don’t know!?” Lamar shouted furiously. “You said you had a good grip on dis!” Glancing around worriedly, Krockman nervously said in reply, “I, uh, I suppose with everything going on, I... lost focus.” Looking furious, Lamar snarled as he raised his fist as if to hit Krockman, only to stop momentarily to look back down at Lana before climbing out of the balcony and down the scaffolding to the stage below. Running towards the new lost soul as she finished singing, Lamar called out in a worried tone, “Lana!” Looking up, Lana saw Lamar running towards her, only to be taken by surprise when the larger lost soul embraced her. She was confused by it, but she accepted it all the same, nestling her head into Lamar’s chest as she felt teardrops fall on the naps of her neck. 

As the two were hugging, they noticed that the music began to change, sounding more like carnival music than anything else. Looking around in confusion, Lamar and Lana saw Poe making his way center stage, smiling smugly as he shouted, “Step right up! Step right up! Try your luck! Five into ten, ten into twenty, twenty into more and even more! Fantastic games to be played and fantastic prizes to be claimed! Sweepstakes, right here in the city of Babel: the universe’s number one disaster getaway!” With that, the music transitioned to a more industrial tune, signaling the start of the next song, “Sweepstakes” by the Gorillaz. The song began slowly as Poe rapped out mad rhymes about mankind’s wanton greed and hubris. As the song progressed, Poe underwent some strange changes. It was subtle at first, his clothes changing into that of a carnival barker or a ringmaster when he finished the first verse. After the second verse, Poe’s body stretched out, taking on more humanoid proportions. By the end of the third verse, he was fully human, spitting out phat beats with the force of a whirlwind of garbage and excess. All the while, the audience became progressively frenzied, growing more mad and wild as the song went on. Overwhelmed by the uproar, Lamar and Lana were separated from each other, with the bigger lost soul being tossed back onto the balcony by the crowd. 

As the song finished, Lana recovered from the frenzy, eyeing the crowd with a curious eye. Standing back up, she tapped on her microphone to get everyone’s attention, clearing her throat as she said, “Excuse me everyone. This next song is more of a personal favorite of mine. It’s the song I listen to whenever I feel down about life, and honestly, if I had any song on stage, it has to be this one. So please, enjoy.” Taking a moment to whisper into Jimmy’s ear, the lead scrap looked shocked for a moment before grinning and nodding in agreement. After giving a cue to the others, Jimmy strummed his guitar somberly as the band began to play “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” by the Flaming Lips. Hearing this, Krockman grew annoyed, saying, “What the hell? What is she doing? This is my concert, not a karaoke bar. Why I ought to...” Before he could finish, Krockman felt a tight grip on his shoulder, wincing as he felt sharp claws dig into the flesh. Turning around, he saw that it was Lamar, glaring daggers at the king of lost souls. Shaking his head in disagreement, Lamar simply stated, “Let. Her. Sing.” Scared shitless, Krockman simply sat back down and listened to the show. 

As Lana sang, Krockman could not help but be filled with a strong sense of melancholy. Watching the show, he saw Chelsea, Chad, and Arlo join the new lost soul on stage and joining in on the song. As the air filled with the serene dulcet tones, Krockman looked over towards the audience, then towards the entirety of New York as the sun began to rise in the distance. Having taken it all in, he couldn’t help but feel like everything he had done had been completely pointless. As the sun rose, the stage faded away, as the Krockman, the performers, and most of the audience began to vanish. All that remained were several members of the audience, Arlo, Dr. Olan, and Sergeant Calhoun, all staring in disbelief as the sun shined over Central Park. 

 
As Arlo looked around, he heard something that sounded like yelling, accompanied by banging. Tracking down the noise, he found that it was coming from the trunk of a car. Concerned for whoever was in their, Arlo immediately opened the trunk, only to be shocked by what he saw. It was a woman, dressed in business casual and her long, blonde hair draped over her back. Looking on in surprise, Arlo asked, “Are you alright? How long have you been in here?” “I’m fine,” the woman said as Arlo helped her out of the trunk. “I’m stiff as hell, but I’m fine. I can breathe at least. Can’t believe that stupid bastard Krockman had me thrown into a trunk.” “Wait, Krockman did this to you?” Arlo asked in shock. “Ok seriously, what’s going on with that guy? He was never like this when he was alive.” Looking down at the ground for a bit, the woman explained, “Well, I guess having to put up with all the crap he went through would make anyone crazy. How exactly do you know Krockman?” “He was my roommate back when he was alive,” Arlo answered. “The name’s Arlo by the way.” “I’m Beth,” the woman introduced herself as she cast a coy glance at her savior. “Um, listen, it’s been a real long day for all of us and this seems like the most inappropriate time to ask this but... do you want to grab a coffee somewhere? Maybe some breakfast if any place is open and talk about it?” Smiling at this, Arlo took her hand and said, “Yeah, that sounds nice.” 

Watching on from a distance, Olan and Calhoun stared at the city, the streets all in disarray. “Welp, the city’s gone to pot, most of the people have vanished off to god knows where, and apparently there is a god... and he’s an emotionally unstable man child,” Calhoun said, taking stock of the situation. “This is pretty much as bad as it gets.” “Well, I think there might be more serious consequences than a damaged infrastructure,” Olan explained in a somber tone. “I believe we are currently in a paradigm shift.” Looking confused, Calhoun asked, “I’m sorry, but what the hell are you talking about?” “Don’t you feel it?” Olan asked in reply. “The world feels different now. It’s as if the a curtains been lifted. Now everyone’s aware of the true nature of reality. I certainly have a lot of opportunity for research now.” “Huh, guess Misfit’s real pissed now, considering that he was trying to preserve the whole ‘true nature of reality’ thing,” Calhoun said nonchalantly. “Speaking of which, where is he?” “He said he had to take care of something important,” Olan explained. “He didn’t say what it was, but judging by fast he was going, it must have been serious.” 

Meanwhile, in a strange space between the mortal realm and the afterlife, Krockman and the others were walking down a long hallway, with Chad, Chelsea, and the newly transformed Lana right behind them. “My god, that was a hell of a party,” Krockman said as they were walking. “You guys have no idea how long I’ve wanted to screw over Ben. Like seriously, this is a dream come true.” Rolling his eyes, Alucard retorted, “Yeah, and all you had to do was expose the true nature of reality to the world.” “Screw that,” Chelsea interjected, clearly annoyed. “Are we really going to gloss over the fact that you guys have been keeping me, Chad, and Lana alive long after we were supposed to die? Is Emily in the same boat as us?” Turning to face the young troll, Krockman answered, “First off, yes, Emily’s in the same boat as you guys. Second, what exactly did you want to me to say? ‘Hey there, how’s it going? Oh by the way, I’m the only thing you and your friends alive.’ How well would you guys have taken that news?” “That’s... actually a good point,” Chelsea said, calming down a bit. 

Just then, the hallway flashed for a second, revealing that Misfit had just entered. He was walking towards the group with a serene look on his face and a rolled up magazine in his hand. “Oh, hey Misfit,” Krockman said as the elder lost soul approached. “Did you enjoy the show?” Misfit did not say anything, only smiling as he walked up towards his charge. Finally, when he had reached Krockman, Misfit simply stood and stared down at him, still sporting a serene grin and tightening his grip on the magazine. Feeling uncomfortable, Krockman asked, “Uh, Misfit, what exactly are you...” Before Krockman could finish, Misfit began beating him over the head with the magazine, screaming, “What! Were! You! Thinking!?!” 

“Ow! God! What the hell dude!?” Krockman shouted as he took the blows. “What’s gotten into you!?” “What’s gotten into me!?” Misfit retorted furiously. “What about you!? You revealed the true nature of reality and now the powers that be are pissed!” Looking awkward, Alucard interjected, “To be fair, it’s not like they were trying that hard to keep it a secret.” “Stay out of this, Alucard!” Misfit snapped before turning his attention back to Krockman. “And on top of that, you did all of this just to get back at some guy who was already beneath you when you were alive! I hope the feeling of satisfaction you got out of this was worth it, because there isn’t a loophole big enough to get you out of this.” 

When he heard this, a strange look crossed Krockman’s face. “Well?” Misfit asked in an annoyed tone. “Aren’t you going to say anything?” After a few minutes of silence, Krockman finally answered, “I... feel... nothing.” “Excuse me?” Misfit asked, taken back a bit. “I feel nothing. I don’t feel anything from this whole thing,” Krockman repeated, completely perplexed by the situation. “I don’t understand it. I’ve planning this for as long as I can remember, but now... it just feels so pointless.” Looking surprised, Misfit simply stared at Krockman in shock before saying, “Really? That’s really how you feel?” Krockman only nodded in reply. “Are you freaking kidding me?” Alucard interjected. “Are you really telling us that this was all a waste of time?” “We’ll discuss this later,” Misfit said authoritatively. “For now, let’s just focus on getting back home, alright?” Everyone agreed to this and continued their trek down the hall. 

As they were walking, Chad looked towards Krockman and asked, “So where exactly is this hallway leading to?” “It’s leading towards our old base, False Orchard,” Krockman explained. “It’s where we we used to hang out before we took over Babel. It’s gonna be a bit of a walk from there to Babel, but this is the shortest path from the mortal realm to Limbo.” “Right, right,” Chad said as he glanced over towards Lana, who was currently walking hand in hand with Lamar. “So what exactly is gonna happen to Lana now that she’s lost soul? I kinda want an idea of what’s in store for me when I finally die, you know.” Looking concerned, Krockman answered, “I... honestly don’t know. I didn’t really think this was going to happen, so I never actually thought about it. For now, let’s just get back to Babel and we’ll figure something out there, alright?” “Fine, fine,” Chad said in reply, only to quietly mumble to himself, “Even though you apparently had enough time to plan out that friggin parade.” Krockman simply ignored, to busy thinking about what’s in store for himself in the future. 

Suddenly, the hallway flashed again, revealing a wide open expanse of wasteland. As the group walked on, Krockman explained, “Alright, now it’s gonna be a bit of a walk back to Babel, so for now, we’ll stay the night at False Orchard. A scrap I made named Mac lives there, so he might be willing to have us for the night.” “I’m sorry, he might have us?” Chelsea asked. At that moment, Misfit interjected, saying, “Mac and Krockman aren’t exactly on good terms. Mac’s one of the few scraps that Krockman considers to be his son, but... well, he’s not really the best father figure in the world. He just left the poor thing behind when we moved onto Babel.” Rolling her eyes, Chelsea muttered to herself, “Ooo, surprise, surprises, Krockman’s a dead beat dad.” Glancing back at the young troll, Krockman retorted, “Now listen you...” 

Before he could finish, Krockman crashed into someone, causing him to fall to the ground. Getting his bearings back, he saw that the person was a large lost soul waiting in a long line. “Hey watch it, pal,” the lost snapped in an annoyed tone. “I don’t care how badly you guys want to get into False Orchard. You’re gonna have to wait in line like the rest of us.” “Excuse me, do you even know who I am? I’m the freaking Krockman. And since when do we have to wait in line to get into...” Krockman spat out indignantly, only to stop when he actually saw False Orchard. What was once a humble manor big enough for thirteen individuals (and two scraps) was now several stories taller and a few acres bigger. It was really more of a hotel at this point. 

Staring on in shock, Krockman asked, “What has Mac been doing while I was gone?” At that moment, the line began to move as a woman’s voice chimed over a loudspeaker, “Welcome, my guests, to False Orchard: the best of all possible worlds!” When they heard that, Krockman and the others were shocked. They new who the voice belonged to. Against all odds, Emily was somehow now in charge of False Orchard... and was muscling into Krockman’s territory. 
———— 

At Byrnhem Theater, the ferals were busily working, preparing for anyone who might stumble by. As the ferals were going about their business, none of them noticed a heavyset cloaked figure making his way through the crowd. Walking pass the various grimalkins and kobolds, Tanooka Joe took a moment to glance around, making sure no one was looking at him. Feeling safe, Joe looked down into his cloak, seeing Calibur hidden within the folds of cloth. 

“How’re you doing in there, little buddy?” Joe asked in a hushed tone. “I’m fine Joe,” Calibur answered. “How much farther is it to Orschwitz and Skipper’s office?” Glancing up for a split second, Joe answered, “It’s not much farther. You’ll be there soon.” As Calibur nodded in agreement, Tanooka Joe could not help but feel worried. Ever since the sword scrap learned that he lead the charge against the ferals at Babel, he had been determined to finish what he started: ending Orschwitz’s reign of terror. “Hey kid, you sure you want to go through with this?” Joe asked in a concerned tone. “It’s not too late to back out.” Shaking his head no, Calibur said in reply, “I’m sorry Joe, but I can’t leave. Not while Orschwitz is still at the helm. I have to stop him before he can hurt anyone else.” 

It was at that moment that someone finally noticed Joe. It was Skipper: second in command of Byrnhem Theater. “Hey there!” the bushy kobold shouted. “Where do you think you’re goin, partner?!” Breaking out into a cold sweat, Tanooka Joe simply tried to ignore him. “Hey! I asked you a question, stranger!” Skipper shouted in an offended tone. “Y’all know what we do to quiet folk round these parts?!” As the kobold said this, the other ferals slowly closed in on Joe, looking grave and malicious as they circled the tanuki. Finally unnerved by this, Joe shouted, “Look pal, I don’t really want to be here and I really don’t want to pick a fight, but I really need to go to your office and I’ve had five shots of tequila just to work up the nerve to get this far. If I were you, I would just back up slowly and leave me to my business.” Looking surprised, Skipper only glared at Joe before saying, “Fine then. Have it your way. Brutus! Show him what we do to trespassers round here.” At that moment, a large bulldog looking kobold lumbered towards Joe, dragging a large hammer behind him. 

As Tanooka Joe watched his assailant approach (and finding that all his exit routes were cut off), he glanced down at Calibur and whispered, “Alright kid, it’s go time. When I give the word, you run like hell to that office.” Looking worried Calibur asked, “But what about you?” “Don’t worry about me. I can take care of myself,” Joe answered as he clutched his chest. “Just focus on getting to that office.” As Brutus towered over Joe, he readied his hammer, growling, “Well fatty, any last words?” “Yeah, I have something to say,” Joe said with a knowing smirk. “I warned you.” Before anything else could be said, Joe whipped out a strange looking sword, slicing Brutus in half and shattering him like glass. As the ferals stared in silent horror, Skipper noticed the cloaked figure removing his cloak, revealing a large, bear-like tanuki wearing a loincloth and armed with a long bone sword. “Holy shit! It’s Seppuku Joe!” Skipper shouted in horror. “Don’t just stand there, ya idjets! Drive him out! It’s a goddamn invasion!” With that, the ferals surged onto the monstrous tanuki while Calibur snuck off towards the office in the confusion. 

As Calibur entered the office, something was immediately off. The room was plunged in darkness, save for a faint glow of a cigarette. Squinting his eyes, he could see that it was Orschwitz, smoking at his desk, quietly waiting. “Well, well, little errand boy. I see you’ve returned,” the grimalkin said, exhaling a gout of smoke. “Tell me, who sent you? Was it Krockman, or one of the other bitches from Babel?” “None of them,” Calibur answered defiantly. “I came here by my own choice. I’m here to end your reign of terror.” Eyeing the scrap discerningly, Orschwitz took a long drag from his cigarette as he asked, “Is that so? And what makes you so certain I’m the monster in this scenario? Krockman took Babel from us, made your kind his servants.” “That may be true, but we all prefer him over you,” Calibur retorted as he readied his sword. “You kill scraps and eat their souls just to make yourself more powerful.” “My kind is only doing what comes naturally. There is order to it. Krockman doesn’t even respect you,” Orschwitz snapped. “In fact, I recall him chastising one of your fellow scraps. He has your kind kill for him, but he won’t let you drink or smoke, or say things like ‘shit’ or ‘fuck’. His reason: he considered it improper behavior for such ‘innocent creatures’.” With that, the grimalkin snuffed out his cigarette, plunging the room in darkness. 

Unnerved by this, Calibur’s eyes darted around, trying to find where Orschwitz could be. As he scanned the room, he heard a loud blast, followed by the rattling of chains. Ducking at the last minute, Calibur was shocked to see a large, clawed, mechanical hand fly past him and crash into the desk, reducing it to a shattered pile of splintered wood. Calibur was only able to make out the hand’s hodgepodge nature (mostly being made from repurposed garden shears) before it was reeled back to whence it came, revealing itself to be part of large gauntlet wielded by Orschwitz himself. “Do you remember this, comrade?” the grimalkin asked with a smirk as he held up the gauntlet. “This was the weapon I was using back in Babel. Mind you, this is only one of a pair, but it wouldn’t matter if both my arms still worked. I can just as easily eviscerate with just the one.” Unfazed by this, Calibur held sword high and shouted, “Do your worse, hell spawn! I may have said this in the past, but this time I mean it when I say this one red hour makes your reputation or mine!” Surprised by this, Orschwitz only grinned a wicked smile as he said, “Excellent.” With that, the fight was on. 

The two combatants fought aggressively, trading blows with each other as metal claws struck wooden sword. “I’m impressed, little errand boy,” Orschwitz said as they locked blades. “You’re doing remarkably well. You haven’t even taken your rage burst form.” Smirking at this, Calibur said in reply, “Thanks. I’ve been training.” “Impressive. Very impressive,” the grimalkin said, a sinister sneer spreading across his face. “Don’t think I’ve been sitting on my laurels this whole time. I’ve been training this whole time as well. Observe!!!” At that moment, Orschwitz kicked out front, knocking the scrap off his feet; at which point, he grabbed Calibur with his gauntlet and flailed him around like a rag doll. As he whipped the scrap around, Orschwitz cackled as Calibur crashed into the walls and the furniture. Cringing from the pain of broken glass and splintered wood, an idea occurred to Calibur: an idea that could free him. “I hope I remember this when I change back,” he thought to himself as his body began to glow. Meanwhile, Orschwitz was too busy cackling at Calibur’s suffering to realize what was happening, only to stop when he heard a loud thud. Suddenly, he felt the chain of his gauntlet being yanked on, dragging him across the floor. At the other end, he was shocked to be confronted with a familiar face: Calibur in his rage burst form.

“What?! You’re using your rage burst form?!” Orschwitz shouted furiously. “I should’ve expected this from a coward like you, you useless pile of sh...” “Shut up!!!” Calibur roared in a baritone voice, hoisting the grimalkin up by the chain of his gauntlet and flinging him into a wall. “If anyone’s a coward, it’s you. Killing scraps, devouring their soul shards, hiding out in your precious theater. You have no right to judge, and you certainly have no right to call anyone a coward.” Growing furious, Orschwitz got back onto his feet and screamed as he pulled the clawed hand back and began wildly flailing it around like a mace. Seeing this, Calibur held up his wrist shield, projecting a large energy barrier that blocked most of the strikes. It did not last long, giving out after several hits as the fist burst through and crashed into the scrap, sending him flying across the room and crashing through a wall. 

As he got to his feet, Calibur looked in the room he crashed into. It was a very sparse room, consisting of only a single podium holding an old top hat sitting on a pillow. As the scrap stared at it in confusion, Orschwitz ran into the room, cackling like a madman. “I have you now, you bastard!” the grimalkin snapped, only to see the hat. “Oh... oh no. What have I done?” Even more confused, Calibur leaned against the podium and asked, “What are you...” “Don’t you touch that!!!” Orschwitz roared, preparing to fire his fist. Seeing an opportunity, Calibur smiled as he ran his fingers across his sword, causing it to ignite. “So this hat is that important to you, huh?” the scrap as he held the sword with both hands. “Don’t worry. I won’t touch it.” With that, Calibur stabbed the sword into the ground, causing a fiery explosion to erupt from the ground, consuming the room in flames and reverting himself back to his normal self. Dazed for a second, Calibur regained his composure and saw Orschwitz rushing into the flames to save the hat in a panic. “Huh, I can’t believe that actually worked,” Calibur said to himself, only to realize something important. “Wait a minute. I remembered what I did while I was in my rage burst form. That’s never happened before. What’s going on?” Before he could ponder over it any further, Calibur was shocked to see Orschwitz rushing at him, the hat in one hand and an insane look on his face. “You little shite!!!” the grimalkin screamed. “I’ll fucking kill you!!!” Thinking fast, Calibur jumped into the air and stabbed Orschwitz in his cast, using the momentum to fling himself out of the room and kicking the grimalkin into the fire. 

Catching his breath, Calibur wiped his forehead and sighed in relief. The moment of peace, however, was brief as Orschwitz burst forth from the flames, screaming in pain and rage as he charged Calibur on all fours and grabbing him by the throat. He was in horrible shape, his clothes and most of his fur having been burnt away in the fire, and long strands of spit hanging from his jaws. The worst part was his now exposed wounded arm, revealing it to be split in half, bleeding out a thick, tar-like substance that bubbled and occasionally took the form of arms and facial features. “No more games!!!” Orschwitz bellowed as he held up the scrap. “Prepare to join the rest of your ilk in my stomach!!!” As he was panicking, Calibur got an incredible idea. “Oh my god,” he thought to himself. “That’s it!” At that moment, he took on his rage burst form, pinning the grimalkin under his weight, and stabbed him in the stomach. Yanking the sword back out, he was shocked to see an enormous mountain of black, convulsing sludge erupt from Orschwitz’s wound. Staring at the mound, Calibur realized what it was: all the souls that Orschwitz had consumed over the course of his existence. Understanding what he had to do, the brave scrap tightened his grip and swung his sword at the mass. The last thing Orschwitz saw before he passed out were  three beings slicing through his soul: Calibur, his rage burst form, and a third being made of light forming between the two. 

Meanwhile, Tanooka Joe was busy fighting off the encroaching horde of ferals, with Skipper screaming at them all the while. While Joe was able to tear his way through the waves of ferals, their sheer numbers forced him to fall back, leading the horde on a wild chase ending in front of the office doors. As the horde was closing in, the doors to the office opened, revealing a shocking sight. Orschwitz was lying on the ground, burnt, beaten, and unconscious with his eyes wide with horror. His assailant was a strange sight. He resembled a thirteen year old boy with shaggy red hair and glowing green eyes. He was dressed in a blue tunic with a chest plate attached to it (a strange medallion embedded in the center), a pair of grey pants held up by a leather belt, and a sturdy pair of boots. In his bandaged hands was a long wooden sword with sharpened strips of metal bolted along the edge. As the young knight scowled at the crowd of ferals, Tanooka Joe recognized who he was. “Calibur?” he asked, more than a little shocked. “Yeah, it’s me,” the newly enlightened scrap answered as he walked forward. 

Overcome with horror, Skipper rushed past Calibur and kneeled over the unconscious Orschwitz, weeping as screamed, “Orschwitz! What did he do you?!” “All I did was cut away all the excess souls from his soul,” Calibur explained as he sheathed his sword. “They were ripping him apart from the inside. I did him a favor.” Hearing this, Skipper tensed up a bit before turning to face the scrap and give him the most venomous look of hatred anyone had ever seen. “You ginger son of a bitch!” the kobold roared as he got to his feet and made his way toward Calibur. “I’m gonna rip you limb from limb!!!” Just before Skipper could reach the young scrap, Tanooka Joe stepped in between the two, and stopped the kobold in his tracks. “Now look, Skip, I get that you’re upset,” Joe explained. “But the fact of the matter is that there’s been way too much fighting today. You’re guys are exhausted and Calibur is more than capable of doing to you what he did to Orschwitz. I suggest you really think about this, because you’re not coming out on top no matter what choice you make.”  Mulling over it for a few minutes, Skipper only shook his head and grumbled in annoyance before saying, “Just get the hell out of here, the both of ya. Go on, git!!!” Nodding in agreement, Joe motioned towards Calibur, saying, “Fair enough. Alright Cal, let’s go home.” With that, Joe and Calibur left the theater and began their long trek back to Babel. As they walked, Calibur sighed as he asked, “Hey Joe, do you think I did the right thing? I mean Orschwitz is a monster and all, but still...” Looking down at the enlightened scrap, Tanooka Joe only shook his head and said, “I’m not sure, kid. I’m not sure.” 
———— 

On the outskirts of False Orchard, Mac found himself sprawled out on the ground in the dark, having passed out earlier. He was not sure what had happened, but the last thing he remembered was chasing after a large parade, wanting to join it. The sight of that parade made him feel happier than he had ever felt in a long time. As usual, though, he is alone. “It’s not fair,” Mac said as he stared forlornly at the expanse of the wasteland. “It’s just not fair. I was this close. I was this close to joining them.” 

As Mac was staring at the wasteland, he heard the sound of footsteps approaching from behind. Turning around, he saw a trio of rat ferals sneaking up towards him, brandishing carving knives in their scuzzy little hands. “Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me,” Mac said to himself in exasperation. The lead rat feral grinned at the sight of the lone scrap, turning towards the others and saying, “Alright boys, looks like the Scurrierz are making a comeback. All I gotta do is cut this chooch up, eat his soul bits, and claim my spot at the top.” Hearing this, one of the other rat ferals asked, “Hey Guido, how come you get to eat his soul? Why not one of us?” “Because it was my idea to get the crew up and running again, Squinty,” the leader, Guido, answered curtly. “Would you have been able to pull it off? What about you, Tino? Do you think you could’ve gotten the crew back together? Hell no! If I weren’t around, you two would’ve gotten your balls rocked.” As Mac watched the three rats bicker, he could have sworn he heard a familiar sound: the sound of the Demiurge rumbling through his treasure trove, ancient coins rattling and scraping against his scales. 

Suddenly, a massive migraine struck Mac, far more painful than any he had ever had before. Clutching his head and screaming in agony, he staggered about before falling behind a rock; out of sight of the ferals as his screams became more guttural. When the screaming subsided, the rat ferals stared in horror. “What the hell was that?” Squinty asked nervously. “I-I don’t know Squinty,” Guido answered, staring at the rock in shock. “One of us should go check it out though. Tino, go see if that scrap’s okay.” Reluctantly, Tino slowly approached the rock, unsure of what he might find. The minute he disappeared around the rock, though, the other two ferals were freaked out when they heard horrified screaming and messy crunching before returning to dead silence. After a tense few minutes, the rat ferals were horrified to see something large rise up from behind the rock, only identified by a shining screen featuring two glowing green eyes. Glaring at the ferals, the monster’s eyes turned a bright red as it issued a horrific roar sounding like an ungodly combination of grinding gears, dial up tone, whirring blades, and agonized screaming. The last thing Guido and Squinty saw was this large... thing lunging at them, opening up a truly enormous mouth filled with various sharp fangs and spinning blades. 

He was the cold hard truth that shattered delusions of grandeur. He was the brute enmity by which the laymen defined themselves and redefined themselves. 

He was Mac, and now he sought vengeance. 

End Chapter 2
1