Chapter 205
485 11 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

- Shari -

 

As Michael returned with some probably justified questions, I had to give him a brief summary of what happened after I split from him and Liqu that led to the current situation.

 

"So let me get this straight. You somehow ended up managing a shop that sells alchemic potions to the poor and destitute in the southern district for affordable prices." (Michael)

 

The latter he says with a not-too-hidden hint of irony.
Right now, I feel as I did back then with my mum, in the phase where I had to confess my misdeeds shortly before I would get scolded.

 

"Well, you can believe me, I was rather surprised as well when I returned to this." (Shari)

"And for some reason, you thought that the potion sign over the door makes for a nice aesthetic addition and decided to keep it?" (Michael)

"Well, it kinda just happened. I had to act accordingly, or it would've looked suspicious." (Shari)

"You are already looking suspicious! Do you really think any sane being would open up a shop here? Only the desperate come to the south of Ekoras." (Michael)

"What else could I have done?" (Shari)

"Maybe 'close' the shop?" (Michael)

 

In hindsight, this might've been an option.
Though, try telling a desperate mother that you won't sell her a potion to save her child.
Or a young woman attempting to heal her injured friend after he defended her.
Or a recent widow asking for some energy to help her get through the burial.
Or…
Sigh
It just became too difficult a dynamic to justify stopping.

 

"But at least I managed to get through all this business without raising any unnecessary questions, or violence. That's more than you usually can expect from slimes. Especially, if I may remind you about your little adventure with Liqu in the guild hall." (Shari)

 

Yes, getting informed about this was part of the daily linking arrangement with Liqu.
It might not be fair to shift the blame here, but it's a bit of a survival tactic.

 

"By all means, Liqu is much less of a liability than you are. She does as she's told, listens, and keeps a keen eye on her environment, continuously assessing the situation. You, on the other side, are flying from one ludicrous situation to the next and seem just to accept them, going with the flow. Do I really have to explain to you that constant distractions can be an issue during a critical mission?" (Michael)

 

And there is the tirade.
That's it's expected doesn't make it much better.
But it’s incredibly irritating to get told that Liqu, of all people, is the more reliable of us two.
That hurts, okay?

 

"Fine, we got an issue here. What am I now supposed to do in your opinion?" (Shari)

"Sigh. We'll have to take this as it is. Especially, we should prepare for the coming raid." (Michael)

"Excuse me, raid?!" (Shari)

"You just told me you challenged them directly by throwing acid at two enforcers. Do you seriously believe they won't retaliate? I would be very surprised if they wouldn't attack tonight. Just in case they decide to set fire to the building, I'd suggest that you bring all your valuables to the cellar." (Michael)

"Do, do you seriously believe they'd go that far?" (Shari)

"It's unlikely, as, if they would do so, the fire might spread and consume a good part of the city. You might have noticed that the city structure is quite cramped here. A blow of this scale to the city would warrant the officials to do something. And as of now, the criminal underground is quite content with the status quo. However, you should still be ready for all possibilities." (Michael)

 

Yeah, one probably shouldn't act based on the assumed rationality of criminal gangs.
Speaking of rogue factors, there are still these two kiddos with us.

 

"Ehm, could we ask who you even are? I, I mean your group is kinda crazy. What are you doing here for real?" (Nia)

 

Not sure if it's smart to ask the killer spy such a thing.
Speaking of which…

 

"You're not going to kill them, right?" (Shari)

"Hah, no. But they are liabilities." (Michael)

"They didn't screw up yet. So I guess it should be fine. Liqu?" (Shari)

"I don't mind. But I don't really care either." (Liqu)

 

Since when is Liqu so indifferent about humans who aren't going to directly give us the monster treatment?
Did it lose its novelty to her and now she lost interest?
I mean, okay, that presumed soulsight gives no real indicator to me, which probably means they're neither good nor bad, but that's not really a reason not to care.

 

"Well, I guess that settles it. I doubt there'll be any harm in telling them. I mean, it's not like they're going to run to those about to enslave them." (Shari)

"That's absolutely no justification to bare all of our secrets for no reason." (Michael)

 

I guess he has a point on this.

 

"But secrets aren't good. That's so human. Why bother with keeping stuff hidden that will eventually come back at you?" (Liqu)

 

And here we got another lesson on slime wisdom that might turn the world into a better place if everyone would follow these suggestions.

 

"And how was your investigation? Could you uncover anything new?" (Shari)

"We got a number of locations down. It was quite the ordeal, but worth it. However, at some point someone started tailing us. I suppose we'll need to take care of that." (Michael)

 

Well, at the risk of repeating myself: Speaking of taking care of someone.
We still have visitors, who now move into the focus of attention.

 

"Wh-what are you going to do with us?" (Nia)

"To you? You shouldn't even be involved in this." (Michael)

"But we are! They were trying to catch Okin and bring him who knows where!" (Nia)

"Yes. There are more and more people gone missing." (Okin)

 

To be honest, I didn't want to turn this place into an orphanage.
However, kicking out children into the grasp of slavers feels somewhat wrong to me.

 

"Hm, then why don't we hand him out?" (Michael)

"Wait! What!?!" (Shari, Nia, Okin)

"No, no, no. Please not! I promise I will behave and not steal anything!" (Okin)

 

Great way to advertise yourself, boy.

 

"I only meant, if they want to bring him away with whoever else they captured recently, as they apparently do with increased fervor, then we simply could follow behind. It's not like they're going to harm their merchandise." (Michael)

"I, I don't wanna!" (Okin)

"I don't like this plan. It feels wrong." (Shari)

 

This would be morally quite dubious.
Not to speak of the risk that something might go wrong.
Though, I'm sure Michael considered that it would hit the boy and not us.

 

"Well, what are you suggesting then?" (Michael)

 

At this moment, I really appreciate that high-speed processing has few outside indicators, so you can activate it in daily life if you need some extra time to give an answer.

 

So let's see.
I'm against using these kiddos as bait.
We're up against several criminal gangs who assumedly work at least as contractors for the big evil conspiracy, whose real assets we are trying to find.
Oh, and not to forget, they're probably coming here because I pissed them off.

Wait!
Couldn't I work with this?

 

"How about we wait for the raid, knock the attackers out, and make them lead us to the places of interest?" (Shari)

"This would basically announce our presence as operatives in this town to them. We need to stay out of their sight." (Michael)

"No, it wouldn't. As you said, I openly messed with them. At the moment, it would more look like they'd simply bitten off more than they could chew if we overwhelm them." (Shari)

"Oh, oh! I know! This was a metaphor, right?!" (Liqu)

"Yes, Liqu, it was. Good job." (Shari)

 

I should show positive reinforcement if she gets something right.
It speaks of improvement after all.

 

"Sigh, fine. It's not like I could stop you. But you are aware that not a single one of them can escape to tell the tale if you go all out, right?" (Michael)

 

He's basically telling me to kill everyone who comes.
Clearly, with a slight hint of doubt that this is going to work smoothly.
However, he underestimates that I still had high-speed processing going.

 

"Don't worry. I have a plan." (Shari)

 

20