01: Avenge myself before being wronged
80 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm back in the living room, opening another can of this cheap stuff while I hear my sister finishing off the last of her previous sortie. Is it better to stay a little buzzed than halfway sober, or to feel the same effects as Sam is now? Well I'm gonna try the former-

The princess has wandered back to her own room, of course dragging me along too while studiously trying to 'watch' me as she passed others in the hall. I for my part am also playing oblivious to her existence.

Finally in her own room and pushing the others out of it, she seems to soften.

"Sorry ... whatever your name is. I really didn't understand, how hard a life you might have."

A glance. Sam isn't on the way out yet; so-

"... Levi. Is my name."

"L, Levi."

"Yeah, and some names have old meanings, too, in this world. Supposedly in one language of my ancestors it means 'joined' or something. Like a bond between people."

She blushed, perhaps thinking this meant something too, for her purposes for me.

But then Samantha is also heading out of the bathroom, and I call out to her, also subtly letting the princess know, conversation might be a little strange for a while.

"Hey Sam, you okay now? You get it all out of your system then?"

"-god you can be such a jerk sometimes."

"... yeah well I still got your back, if you got mine. At least ... while we still can."

She halts in front of the sofa, just glaring at me.

"What's that supposed to mean."

"Nothing obtuse; but I suppose life is strange enough, none of us know what might happen today or tomorrow or even if we'll be remembered a decade after we leave this world."

"-I don't think I could forget you, bro. I couldn't have a weirder brother than you." Despite saying this, she grinned, then plopped right down beside me once more.

I cleared my throat.

"... well ... I too wish ... wherever life takes either of us ... I wish you could come too. It would be difficult, if I ended up somewhere, where nobody really understood me."

"What am I, someone who can't understand?" glared the princess. "I would if you would just tell me things!"

"Hey you aren't planning to leave, or something ... are you Levi?" Sam's eyes suddenly looked worried.

"No, not leave here ... at least I do not want to leave. If I were to disappear, it would probably be more like me disappearing because I had been kidnapped, but without the ransom request. But again. Just thinking ― nobody knows what's just around the corner. That kind of thinking-"

"-our holy kingdom does not kidnap people!"

"So when did you turn all philosophical."

"Go back to what I said earlier; why do you think I can't understand, Levi? Is it because I'm from a different world than you, or-"

"Sam. I don't care about the philosophy ... but I do care about you."

On the other end of the monitor, the princess began to pout but was interrupted. Her maid indicated the king did wish to take this view back, again. Nahama just harrumphed, but then stood once more to follow the maid back out.

Damn; I didn't get to ask how long until this supposed 'summon' took place ― and I'm not asking this in front of Sam.


In any case, the princess was again able to take another turn, the next day. But at a time when I was busy at work ... so timing of asking and answering things grew strained. And also, not just because the events will put me back in front of the one I'd asked out just a few days before.

Nahama, to her credit, did say something about the girl after she had passed out of view. "What, you are worried about her? Don't I look better than she does?"

"It's not all about looks; I do like someone more for their personality than looks."

"That's a myth; men only want one thing-" Then she blushed, as if to admit I might want the same from her.

I stayed silent to this while helping an impromptu customer; then later after the man left I only whispered, "It's not always that way, Nahama."

"Yeah well ... prove it. Come here, and show me better."

"How long until this supposed summoning?"

"By our calendar ... six days. But our days are about twenty percent longer, if I understand things. It's more like, seven point two days, to you? From this time, an hour ago here, six days."

"Oh wow, you can do math," I mumble without thinking.

"Hey! No wonder your sister said you were a jerk!"

The following Monday, from today. Give or take a few hours. And then, I would no longer be on Earth.

"... truly, no way to prevent it?"

"... maybe. But the high priest looked at me funny when I asked; as if it's a sore subject to even want to try to interfere. I think he's going to say something to father about it."

"Well there's still ways around that. Depending upon what you said or how you said it ― frame it as a question of if it's right to take someone from their own life, where they may be satisfied in their life, more or less. Which is my perspective, by the way ... Nahama."

"... oh."

Seriously; she looks displaced, or displeased. Did she really think I'd just ... give in to her, already?


I'm still at work, and the day is going ever so slowly. At least until our noon break ― when a couple high school students have their part-time work. It's already the beginning of summer, but these girls want to pick up a bit of spending money ... thus, their working here already.

One of the bishoujo twins working here is talking about this new thing she's been reading ― souls getting transferred to another world. She speaking loud enough for me to hear it, and thus for the king to hear, too.

... it's already a story genre I know well; I've got some anime, manga, novels, and games or visual novels read or viewed from the past years. Trust me; I do know them ― I've got a few published instances of them on my shelf at home.

But where she's coming to the part of telling one of our coworkers about it, of how sometimes it's the kingdom's rules or traditions for this to be done, I find the king is suddenly tense. The reasoning why he or his kingdom would do this too must strike so close to home.

Oh, what a perfect opportunity to tweak the nervous man's wits.

"Kingdom? Why would such stories have a kingdom? Aren't they all basically done and over with, in this world? Aren't they all collapsing already?"

-oh. A spike of anger, now. Both for the king in the window, and the girl whose stories I just interrupted.

While the king is uttering something I cannot repeat, the girl on this end is somehow trying to recover, to 'convince' me of something which I do already know thoroughly.

"B, but, Levi ― that's the beauty of this form of fiction ― an author getting the main character into and out of trouble in a world the people of Earth only once experienced! It's like ... fate ... or the way the kingdom just is-"

"I think it's stupid," I said, in the most hurtful lie I cold muster for the moment. "I see no reason for it. Why, a kingdom must be mad, to take a human from one world away from where he or she may already be so happy or satisfied in their life, that-"

"But are they? These protagonists ― are they truly so happy in their former lives? As they are written, in most places."

"I don't know about all of them. But if it were to happen to me, I'd have a serious response."

"... well?" she prompted, after I'd just left it hanging.

"If the premise is, that the kingdom would do something like this," I added in elaborately slowed words, "that shows a premeditated lack of concern for others. Now I know kings and royalty always have their own self interests at heart and not that of other people ― but then this could be changed, by casual modifications, in time. Even if it is a trope of such stories."

"Levi, you mean you know these stories? Why didn't you say something about this earlier? I'd love to talk about Isekai world stories-"

"-yeah Sara I do know them. They're fun to read ... for a while; but in truth ― I'd be disgusted and unhappy if it happened to me. Which is something you might want to consider, if it happened to you-"

"... eh. But I'd want to explore, have a fantasy world to go adventuring. Like in the one recent story of the guy who accidentally killed the world creator and so then had to become one himself. Or the one where the king summons the boy because a demon overlord is sweeping through the land-"

Let's not give this king any ideas, shall we.

"Unrealistic. Sounds too much like authors falling into the same plot trap. Only a stupid king would summon someone without first trying to motivate his own people to take on their own troubles; and only the king more stupid than the former one would even summon someone for an even more mundane reason ― or no reason but to say 'it is our tradition'."

It hurts, me saying this. Partly because I also really admire some of these plots; but to get my 'revenge' before the fact of my own summoning, I'll go to any lengths to tweak this king's attitude.

... I'll poke and prod a sleeping bear in its cave all I want ... just don't expect me to end up looking so pretty afterward-

It's a minute before the end of the break, but I'm sensing both sides of our argument are coming to a close, soon, anyway.

"But Levi. Even if one of us were summoned to another world ... what are you saying you would do? I know what I'd do, I'd find all the furry beings and hug them-"

"-some furry things might not want to be hugged; in fact it's an optional trait of humanocentric kingdoms to be the oppressors of the various animal like races. But me? Eh. First, I'll end the kingdom rule-"

Noon whistle; I arranged my last statement just so perfect. Time for the few of us on our lunch time to go back to work.

"That's lunch," called the shift supervisor. "Back to work!"

"Right, boss."

That king, I think he might be about to the point of bursting a blood vessel or something.


This Monday passed so ... sooo ... sloooooow-

But at the end of the shift I ask for the remainder of the week off ― take some 'me time' the boss lady laughed at ― I have no idea other than what Nahama said about how soon a summoning will occur; but it will come nonetheless. Which means, I should stick to the 'GTD' routine.

GTD = Getting Things Done.

In particular: the 'things' to do are more like my own personal bucket list. I want a serious date with a girl in this world, I want to at least be on a serious level of considering emotional commitment to said girl, and I want the same girl to want me in this way too. Hmm, probably won't get so lucky in a week, or maybe not even a month. But again ... I don't think I have so long.

And the king didn't dare to let his view of me go to anyone else, for a whole three days. Truly, through his view I saw the princess grow more worried, though he probably didn't notice because he's still angry at me, and dealing with another kingdom issue, until at last she asked outright.

Thursday morning, local time ― she stands in front of him with a faint look of worry. Odd; she might actually want to talk to me. Well then; who else can she so openly talk to, about things on her mind? Who?

"Father let me take another turn. Please."

His eyes grow heavy, and he at last sighs.

"... ah well. Okay; but be aware, he might not be so happy about ... what's planned for him. Thankfully he won't know until it's too late. Just ... don't mind it, he'll have a collar soon enough."

"But. About this. The collar, I mean. Can we let him be without a collar-"

"NO! He has to have the collar!"

The king reconsiders his own outburst, only after a painful look from his daughter, to relent.

"Sorry; Nahama. But he's said things against the nature of kingdoms, and maybe this kingdom if I take his words as a threat ― which is why I say, he will have to be collared. It's impractical, right now, to allow his freedom."

Now since I heard that, then I can take it as a threat to my freedom.

"But wait, father, I think I can bring his way of thinking around, without a collar, once he's here. You know ... show him around the kingdom, let him see it's not so bad as he might think-"

"Well I've already made up my mind. It's all settled; Knight Commander Raebar has the task of affixing the collar."

Nahama can only mutely accept this. "... as you wish, father."

"Then, here. Take the view, but remember ― don't be so enamored with him, so you forget to beware of his devious words."

Huh; the king thinks Nahama might already be smitten with me-

With an arm motion, the view suddenly swapped to the one I'd been hoping to talk to, again. Better her, than him.


Back in her bedroom, she unloads suddenly ― and with such a heavy frustration.

"What does he mean ― you're saying things about our kingdom! Do you really mean to make our lives, and your life too, so miserable? Don't you have any compassion for what we may be going through right now?"

I can't trust her; she's one of them. She just said a moment ago how she'd try to 'bring my way of thinking around'. Thus, I cannot trust her words just yet, because she would still be speaking from an opportunistic view of the one summoned being servile.

"... so you have no compassion in return for what I'm facing, then. What is the nature of this collar ― for what purpose would putting a collar on a man serve, but to take away his freedom of choice?"

"... the purpose is obvious. It's so the summoned one does not cause a panic. So the summoned one does not disrupt the order of the kingdom."

She says this like it's so self-evident; as if these words were their own logic. Well maybe they did face such things in the past; but to me it's ridiculous. I'm sorry but even if she did ask her father to let me be with no collar, it's still as if she's thinking I have to be collared, only for a 'less cruel' reasoning. And she still said nothing to my charge of her having no compassion for me.

Honestly, up until this point I did have the mindset of bringing her around to my way of thinking too ― the same as she had been thinking. Instead, she is now saying I have no rights, no expectation of rights even, and no option but to go along.

... would anyone trust another human who put such a constraint upon them?

I won't.

... also I'd miss the ending of too many animated series. *rim shot*

But also in these last couple days, the king has been going back into the library and other secret areas to study things his daughter was not allowed to see; and through it, I could 'learn' those things too. Plus I see and hear his own 'secret codes' to access those certain places.

Learning things like: analysis, status screens, inventory, mana reinforcement, strength reinforcement, shields, portal creation, how to weaponize portals-

-and a private shielded sanctum, safely hidden within the castle walls, where he can just 'vanish' from the rest of his world, for a while.

Okay so I think I got this. If I do end up going there ― funny thing is, I think the two of us are linked. Like, when I go there, he'll come here ― but we'll still see each other ... at least I think so. If he messes with my figurine collections ― much less the software titles ― I'll seriously go mad-

But the browser history I'm fine with losing, either way; shouldn't be anything left after a browser shuts down anyway. Probably for the best.

I don't know if the visual window will also stay connected ... but ― I'm gonna keep my eye on him anyway.

... I can hope. If I go where he is in the time of the summoning ― I would end upon that royal throne when he also is disappeared. Plus I'd like to see what he would do in my world, Earth. Hmm; this opens up more tactical planning. And, strategy for when the summoning is over.

The whole of the castle ― like, the whole contiguous castle metastructure and outer lesser structures ― might also be a 'sentient object'. Once or twice I have heard a voice whisper things to the king, but to nobody else. Never for the queen or princess; so perhaps it's his due right as king. Not that the castle has any obvious 'personality' or at least it's not exposing such to this king ... but, it's a thought: the castle itself, as part of the defensive plans for ensuring the safety of a royal family. What could a castle do, if-

Nope; too odd a thought. But because the king and queen and princess have openly walked about this castle, with me watching, I think I know my way around too ― to various places and in seeing various important people. This is only the sixth day of seeing all this but it's still enough time to acclimate to the scenes seen.

The one time I did catch the sweeping vista from the castle roof, it seemed like a large city, the capital. Maybe, fifteen, twenty thousand people? Plenty of humanoid and anthropomorphic races; plus the half-breed and mixed breed races too, so I know species interbreeding is a thing, there. N, not that I wondered-

Only the once did I give pause in the intent of mine to 'disrupt' the kingdom. One such verbal report from one of the kingdom's army sentries seemed to indicate a much larger 'empire' to their north and east slowly chewing up the smaller lands around, one or two of them kingdoms this king had at least a 'soft alliance' with, for certain economic terms. I think this here king might have wept a small bit, after I went to sleep last night; not sure.


Still. Nahama is here talking to me, chattering away about the kingdom's values and things it's dealing with. I sort of do agree; but I think 'enslaving' a summoned individual takes away a lot of what they think they'll gain from other benefits.

"Nahama ― stop, just a minute."

She does so, surprised I just cut in on her speech ― as if she's either got a prepared one, or she's on a verbal roll right now.

"If you believe I've seen what your father is dealing with, then you should know some of the lesser kingdoms between you and the larger one to the northeast are being consumed by the same empire. He is losing his possible alliances, left and right; so whether he's saying anything to you or not, it's worrying him. Me coming there or not is the least thing you should be concerned with, at the moment. Do you know how to fight, to defend yourself, if the same empire comes to try to assassinate you or your loved ones? I don't, and not afraid to say so; me getting summoned would not automatically give me the skills needed to help you."

"... are you telling me the truth?"

"Yes. I saw and heard those things, as surely as I saw and heard ... you, that other day. With that one book, and-"

Her face reddened, to be reminded of what she'd done.

"-but anyway. Nahama, I suspect a king will always try to hold back the worst possible thoughts and acts from his own family; and instead hope for none of it to actually happen. In this world, we are not different ― except we know this phrase, 'hope for the best, plan for the worst', and I may also add, 'do not be surprised with the unexpected'. But ... is this the reality, in your world? Kingdoms eating up kingdoms, all the time? It's another reason I'd like to not go there ― I don't want to lose my life at all, and most of all not for a cause or kingdom I don't believe in. Surely you can understand this."

Now she's near tears? From which part ― hearing about the coming kingdom fighting, or hearing the true reason I am really not wanting to be there?

She sniffed, and her eyes started to redden, whether I knew a reason or not.

"Then that means ... you really won't want to come ... and I'm left to be handed off to some wrinkly count-"

"It's not so bad. Even if a man is old, and whether you are a princess or not ― he should still be able to do some of the things you might want-"

"Shut up. It's not the same."

"Let me ask, though. Did you have some kind of romantic thoughts for whoever is summoned? As if you thought, I could be the one for you?"

"That's natural! I did expect it! And now you just spit on my feelings!"

"No I didn't. Or at least, if I did to you, you did the same to me first."

"No I didn't!"

"Then what does having those kinds of feelings or expectations on another do to you, or to the other person? Let's say I do go there ― maybe I would still like the chance to find romance, or love, with some person who matches my interests, someone I can actually talk to-"

"... that's what I'm trying to do! You jerk!" The tears are real now, and she can't get away, and neither can I get away ― and we both know it.

I had to stop here. Yeah, she's right. She has been at least trying to talk to me ... somewhat successfully. Well, for some of it at me more than with me; but ... who's talking.

"... I am sorry, Nahama; I really am. If I were there, then I would hold you and properly say things in a context, things I'm not sure translates well without being there in person, in front of you. Yes I do see how this hurts, this whole situation. You may have had expectations ― but so did I, and so do I still. Even if I remain here, I have things I will want to do that just aren't possible there ... because it's a different place and our cultures are just so strange to each other."

"You don't like me. I've tried ― but you just keep showing how much you hate me, hate who I am."

"No, I don't hate you. I can't actually say I like some things I see about you, but at the very least I do not hate you. I don't even really hate your father or your kingdom either. It's a funny thing; our world had the past of kingdoms as in your world, except without the magic. But times change and the politics of a human kingdom are no longer relevant to humans. Which means kingdoms here in this world are on the way out of existence along with other self-perpetuating governments. And so even then, we of Earth could consider ourselves as how your world might look like in a few centuries ... or decades, if things go more progressively than I think possible." I paused, while she dried off her eyes a bit, and continued to her blunt, blank stare. "So if I say 'I will end the kingdom rule' it is not that I have malicious intent, it is because I see where all of these human kingdoms will end someday."

"... then how do you even live, in your world? Who rules, if not a king or queen or emperor or empress?"

"From where I live, we have elected officials. People are given one vote per person; and at regularly scheduled periods of time, each person is permitted to vote just once on a small number of candidates who run for an office instead of inherit some right to rule. It is meant to be, by the will of the people. Even if I say this is far better than kings, I do know there are weaknesses in the system ... but it's better than having only one family always in power for its own selfish means. And it also means the government and governance of a people will tend to be slightly more equal. It's not perfect but it's what is done here."

"... I guess ... it could work ... but maybe not yet."

And I understand why, too. With a larger empire gobbling up the lesser lands, it would be a matter of a stronger nation still overpowering a democracy just starting. And then this land and its people would then be just one more cog in the giant machine.

"I understand; perhaps more than you know, actually. And if I am to admit, your world's royalty and imperialist nature are more than half the reason I don't want to go. It's not anything to do with you, by yourself-"

"-really?" Her eyes lit up once more. "You mean that? I mean ... if you do come here ... we could be friends?"

"Yes."

Funny but I didn't even hesitate, to answer her query. Hmm. Maybe we would be a good team ... in time. Not so instantly as she wants though.

And again she's smiling, for some odd reason.

"... but this is if I am forced to be there but get to keep my freedom from a collar. If we could continue talking without me having to be there ― so I can be here and still free ― this would be fine as well."

"... oh."

What the- did she think to start a romance with me or something? Or did she only want me to be hers, as a 'sure thing'?

1