03: Caught red handed, and a tiny lie
67 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am not responding. Not responding. Definitely not responding! She's just testing-

Paza's voice grew very precise, with the accusation.

"I know you can hear me ... you cannot fool me. Levi."

Kinda hard to actually ignore, now; like because she then knows that I know. And if I then confirm it for her, if it were only her suspicion, then ... well screw that. Or, should I just admit it? What would be the point, unless I could have an honest and straightforward conversation, as I have (sort of) with NTR- I mean Nahama?

Also curious what Paza's full monogram of initials could be. 'P_R' with the middle one unknown to me, so far.

"Levi ... come on. Say something."

Oooh she's really trying, subtly and not so subtly, to get me to respond.

"I really do have things to say to you, Levi. And I think you do too, maybe need to ask me some things. Come on, tell me, so we can get this over with ― or do you want to be watching the king instead?"

Instead I'm trying (really trying hard) to 'get busy' at ... well ... any task remaining around here. Align the books with the spines perfectly adjoining the front edge of the shelf; rearrange a few trinkets just so ― and yet she is calmly but cautiously still speaking at me, as if she knows my concentration will break.

But also, to be honest ... it might. She might get to me, and not in any flirtatious manner as I would like. (By which I mean, the more "mature motherly type" might be more to my interest than Nahama. Surely Paza has this calm and serene personality, something which bespeaks a 'been there, done that, got a tattoo, not bothered about it' mentality. Or is it that she's just a queen through marriage to the king, and this sophistry is already beaten into her consciousness?)

But then, even a queen cannot keep this up for long; but then too, both she and I know one thing ― the king sure as heck don't want the view back! I played darned loud crazy music!


Instead, what do I do but ... call my sis. She's at home with our parents and this interrupts her 'schoolwork' catchup time, before the schoolday tomorrow ... but surprisingly she's taking my call anyway and acting nonchalant. Probably pissing off mom in the process (more than dad). But she did say before she wasn't likely to graduate very high in her class; so oh well, nothing is likely to change-

Paza seems to be looking at me disapprovingly, but I'm not giving in, not giving her proof of my awareness.

Sam, on the other hand, is strangely casual in the call. We talk for a while, then I end the call but promise to talk later. Which usually means 'tomorrow' ... or the next day.

... we'll see.

Then Paza is back to a subtle attempt to get me to admit I can see her, even if I'm not giving in. Tactically the queen missed a great opportunity while I was on the call with Sam ― her trying to draw my view would have been more than enough; I can't handle two separate talkers at once. But by now her attempts are really less pressing and more her just trying to 'carpet bomb' my mind, and see what shakes loose. I'm doing well, so I'm also subtly ignoring most of it.

Dusting things, rearranging things, looking at the interior of my place again, looking for more to do ― and oh, how bored I must be.

"So Levi, when you were flirting with Nahama-"

"No I didn't!"

... oops. I think, I am finally caught.

Paza finally laughs, 'vindicated' for her ongoing attempts.

"... damn."

"Oh it's okay, I'm not mad if you were. Took a while to get through to you though; I have to hand it to you, your mental endurance is quite high in this regard. Which just might make you the best king this land has had, in ... well. A few decades."

K, k, ki- Nope, not gonna engage on that point.

"Eh ... not that you have to answer, but ... what let you into the idea of me being able to see ... your side?"

"Oh, little hints, here and there. Always after Nahama taking a turn, she'd be subtly more moody, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. In past weeks she'd been more or less repressed; royal life can do that to a young one such as her. As it did for me. Plus," she nodded with a conspiratorial look, "one of her maids mentioned Nahama may have been 'talking' while nobody else was in the room, at one time while it was her turn to watch you."

"Oh. I figured it might have been the case. So, what now? What do we say or talk about, Paza?"

She stiffened, in pose and gaze, at the use of her personal name. But then, finally, eased up as she realized I had the different cultural practice than her, and she shouldn't yet demand my obedience and start off on the proverbial wrong foot.

"What are your intentions, Levi."

"My main and only intentions are to remain here and live a long healthy happy life. This is my firm position. Failing that, if I am 'kidnapped' by your kingdom-"

"Our kingdom does not kidnap others!"

"Yeah well Ama said the same thing, but I disagree. Do I or do I not have any rights and freedoms? If a collar is involved, I will fight it. Fight with the very last breath, and in the end might be killed ― and then of what value would your vaunted kingdom's summoning rituals have?"

"... it's not kidn-"

"Yes. It. Is. Paza!"

Her face grew stony at last, then she sighed. I must recover from this, and quickly.

"Listen. I will tell you the same as I told your daughter; I am fine to talk to her or you or a maid or a gardener or even your enemy, if I can stay here and free, or even if I'm forced to be there but can stay without the collar. Because for this point, it's all the same. Well no, I'm not likely to be talking to the king there; for reasons. But one point is an absolute, for me. No enslavement, ever. If a collar ever comes upon me ... things will be ended. I also specifically said, I do not wish to live in and fight for a kingdom or cause in which I just do not believe or support. What I have seen while also watching and hearing the reports given to the king are disturbing enough. Suddenly there's this empire not so far away from you killing off lesser kingdoms? Not my problem, or nothing I have any interest in stopping. But I do want to live, here or there, as a free man ― preferably here; and with a way nobody from your side can ever come across to here. This is a fact, Paza." I stop for a breath of air, and to slip into another topic. "Ama-"

"... your cute little nickname for my girl?"

"-in short, yes. Ama thinks me to be without option; but she doesn't know the ferocity I will fight with, if it comes to a collar. No collar, fine, no fighting; a lot of talking, yes certainly, but no fighting. But also ― no, the use of any term of endearment doesn't mean I'm endearing myself toward her; it only means I'd rather she be endeared toward me, because it's more prudent for me to stay free. I did try having her ease up on thoughts of having me enslaved because it would make things easier. Because no it won't, I'll be dead in a struggle if that's the cause. So. Paza. After all is said and done ... do you wish to see me dead and prove that the value of the summoning is worthless? Because this is the prime issue."

"I ... will not say I disagree ... in some of those thoughts."

"But, that is it? This is all you can say?"

"Levi ... some things cannot yet be said. But what I can say, slave collar or not, you would have a fairly safe life, living here with us in the castle. If you are willing to be Nahama's mate ... you have a place to be and a purpose to progress."

"I don't agree to that. At least, not after having known her for a long while ― I don't jump into relationships so easy!"

"Yeah I know; dating your sister and her friend was odd. Oh ... but ... don't you get along with 'Ama'? Aren't you talking and sharing ideas? Isn't this what she needs right now, wanting a discussion partner in the beginning of a relationship-"

"I don't know about that; I'd say I'm looking more for someone maternal, mature, someone who can stay calm and serene."

I'll leave out any inference, otherwise she might already be getting a hint of where my interests lay, if not with her daughter.

"... that's going to break her heart," Paza sighed. "I do imagine she's thinking you and her will ― end up as she expects. I've seen her at the dinner table, break out into a blush while she's had your view. Are you filling her head with dirty thoughts or something?"

"Nope. Any dirty thoughts are her own doing."

Paza ducked her gaze low, also blushing herself ... and maybe she did know something of what her daughter may be feeling.

"But then. Levi. If we both can admit, she may be having thoughts, inferentially about you, then doesn't it make sense for you to fill her dreams and goals?"

"Yeah well, let me flip that statement around on you ― the same applies here, for my benefit. I have a desire to meet and fall in love with someone too, someone who fits my requirements. Is it Nahama? Maybe, maybe not. Is it one of the castle maids? Maybe, maybe not. Or is it one of a doglike race your husband calls 'dirty mongrels'? Only time will tell ― it's not something you can 'plan' and even setup so easily as to 'summon a mate'." I sigh, and shift subtly from what I'm doing, thinking more of finishing this conversation soon. "And plus. I'm not saying I would avoid Nahama; but only that I won't be forced into an unequal arrangement I don't believe in, if I can avoid it. But I cannot be going there to be her mate; maybe a wrinkly old count might be better for her."


PoV: Queen Paza.

'I do not imagine Levi knows yet, he will not exist on Earth after the summoning. But also if what I read is right ... my husband might end up there too. Because of a botched summoning ritual-'

I am trying to remain calm and cautious, in speaking to this young one. In a way, I think he's got a certain charm ― he certainly does speak with conviction; I am sure he believes with his whole heart all those things he is saying. But only, for the moment, I am eager with the anticipation of having him here before me.

Levi is, sort of, the type of boy I might have in my youth gone after. And he may not realize it, but those qualities he mentioned, might more or less specify me as a potential mate for him. I'm more or less okay with that ... after all if my philandering husband is gone from here in the summon, and we here begin to forget him, then I will be desiring someone who will remain with me.

I am not so callous as to just leap right into it after Levi arrives; but he and Nahama should naturally go their separate ways, if Levi and I are to be a couple.

"But one thing I really want to get a second opinion on," Levi speaks once more. "And that's where Ama said 'deities were involved, promises were given, something about a holy covenant tied to our bloodline'. I am hoping this is not so set in stone as to be unbreakable, this summoning of people from other worlds. You truly can offer no alternate way to end this?"

I know the answer is 'NO', but appear to think anyway. And well, it's a good mental review for my own purpose, as well. The final answer is still a negative; and my face gives it away so I will avoid saying the word. A small head shake, then I'm silent again. And waiting for the next one to speak.

Levi lets out only a snort of awareness, then also stays silent.

This ... this is getting unbearable. I've finished trimming this row of greenery; and then I turn to the next one.

"By the way, Levi. That was quite unnecessary, your playing all that music at the king."

Levi laughs, trails off to a mere grimace, then nods somberly. "Yeah, well, what would you have done, in this situation? I'm feeling a little oppressed, here ― and this is even before said oppression begins!"

"Oh, warfare from afar, is it?"

"... that was the plan, yes." He grinned softly, obviously moving on to something more intriguing. "Hey, ah, can things be shared between us, physical things, passed between our worlds? Because Nahama did want a written copy of some story, and-"

"... it might be ... possible. But I'd rather it go through me, rather than you handing something to her I don't have the oversight to choose for her."

"I think you might be surprised what she's picking to read on her own, though," Levi muttered faintly. Then louder, he admitted. "Seems in your world, literature about romance between a girl there and a summoned one coming-"

"Ah. I've read all of those too-"

"-well. Ama's getting her thrills from that type of literature. It might be what's distracting her into thinking of me; but it's ultimately fake. If she wants more of it, there's a lot of deviant type stuff to be had from this world too."

I nod. "This happens here too. But ... noted. I will have a talk with her ... tonight. And then, since you heard the king's roaring complaints, it's either Nahama or I or Priestess Hali who will be watching you, until the summoning tomorrow. Levi ― you aren't going to do those things while we are watching you, are you?"

He grinned, with devious intent. "Not gonna say."


PoV: Levi.

Even if I say that-

"But even so. Paza. I'm not trying to push you or Nahama away from being my potential allies; I'm only saying, don't make me your ally against my own will."

"But that's also unfair to us, Levi. I sense, we're just not going to be agreeing on some things, in the coming day ... but it's something we can work on, I'm willing if you are."

Then I can maybe admit the next few pieces of info.

"So then; let me admit this. The king did in the past few days go into his library-" I sense a sort of frustration, hinting at Paza's awareness of the king's being in this room, and with whom. "-where he dug into learning some skills. Things like analysis, inventory, mana reinforcement, strength reinforcement, and portal creation. There's a possibility I can still lay down a portal connection back here, and come and go, there to here, at will. I guess this fulfills your side's obligations to follow through on the summoning of me, and yet lets me have the best of both worlds. Plus, if I understand, it would also let you and Nahama cross over to here too. So it's not like I'd be running away, but I'd be allowed to keep this part of myself, and not feel alienated in your world."

"Levi ... what you suggest ... passing one end of the portal to someone here and they place it ... it's doable. But. Only if it's to me, and not to Nahama."

I nod; this works out even better, in my opinion, according to the way I'd suggest. "Does this sound like a fair trade then? Ensure the collar never gets put on me, and then I'm more or less willing to be in your world and my world both?"

Paza seems to hesitate, so I try to query more on this thought.

"... or, do you have a concern or worry? Trust me, I am trying to make a fair exchange, something where we both win."

"The only thing," she started, "is ... I do not know how our goddess would view this."

To this, on both ends ― both at Paza's hand and mine ― we see a flare of energy as an ornate scroll appears. I'm stunned, but I'm assuming it's the goddess' words to both of us at the same time. Why is she not showing herself? Push that thought back, concentrate on the scroll's writing-

The small paragraph written on my copy told me: "The words spoken by the summon candidate Levi is valid to me. I am in agreement, because this also works to fulfill something else I am working at completing. In fact, look at your feet; the spell ball at your feet will place your individual halves of the portal, by permission from me and my domain. The portal will only last for the lifetime of Levi, though. I would rather have the summoning ability ended for this kingdom, rather than have its purpose start being devalued! This is all."

I will assume, Paza got the same words, maybe only in her own language. For now, I will be satisfied.

It is as the goddess has said ― at my feet, I do see a tiny orb, about the size of a standard golf ball, but of pure glass. It is lit within by a dark and ominous negative energy type of spell. But as I note this, I see in my hands and also through my view to Paza that the scrolls 'burn up' and vanish in a mere second. Obviously, this goddess is discreet enough to not leave evidence of this dealing behind.

Which means, what, exactly? Does this Mistress Valina, Goddess of Summoning, also know and not mind this king ending up here and being lost across worlds? That seems the logical conclusion-

I ... I won't hint or say anything about my thoughts in this to either Paza or Nahama. It would cause more problems than it's worth; and anyway if the king does swap places and thus does end up vanishing from this world ... it's his own damn fault for screwing up the summoning ritual, right. I'm not without compassion; I'm just without concern for someone caught in their own trap.


PoV: Nahama.

'What is Levi doing now, I wonder ... hopefully not trying to date anyone else on his world!'

I blushed. It is now harder to concentrate, if only because I know Levi will be mine, in only one more day.

I just did the thing, again, holding this book in one hand while with the other ... well I just have to wait until tomorrow! Then it will be alright.

... or, will it? I think, Levi is really still not liking me, the way I like him. I do so like him! What more than this could there be?!?!

Even cousin Tessa ― the cousin with the big chest, not the other cousin who's still an infant ― said, once you have a man, you start feeling more complete. But of course I don't know if this is always true, she's now on her fourth boyfriend (and she's only a year older than me).

But I do think, Levi and I could make a great pair ... maybe even family. Which is what I want to get busy doing, once he's here, and in my arms!

Mother did say, just a day ago, how I was to treat him, to make him mine. I'm eager to try it. Like, real eager, going by all these feelings and thoughts running through me.

I sigh, softly. Oh. The maid came in ... stepping inside my bedchambers so cautiously, peering at me with a timid way. I see her nose twitch, her whiskers being pulled back and forth; then the catkin maid just mumbles an 'excuse me miss' and enters to perform her chores. Picking up my dirty clothes, and bringing in those just washed from the laundry room-

I'm propped up in bed, but still reading this romantic piece ... while the maid sweeps through the room on her chores with an intent. Maybe she suspects what I've just done, by her nosing into the room so adeptly; but I don't care. I'm just practicing!


PoV: Levi.

"... then I go here, and ― there. Placed."

It's hidden in a closet I rarely had a use for; mostly because this closet is stuck right next to the hall window overlooking the back yard. Not so pretty a view, either. But I don't mind; it's a way to keep the portal set in a private place, for now. And I know, Paza has already placed the opposite end, there in her private garden, in a similar type of closet situation.

The portal forms upon the wall, almost perfectly attached to the mostly smoothed paint on the wall. Well it's not an ideal paint job but it sufficed for its purposes. I'm fine with it, as long as it doesn't affect how I'll cross over between worlds.

I turned to shut the door, but in my view, I see Paza take a step forward-

"No! Wait, I-"

Too late. She's here, and ― caught off balance, stumbling forward into my grasp.

Hand on chest.

She's smiling, not angry though. But I quickly retract the hand, much to her chagrin.

"Jihhla bzor volvnah frup ... ka?"

-while a mere quarter second later, I hear ― in her voice through the view ― her say, "We can do more than touch, hmm?"

Ooh, she flirts now, since she can literally 'have' me, right here. But. Hmm, this could be a problem.

"Hey, we are not speaking the same words-"

-and likewise, in her view and back in mine, I hear my own voice telling her, "Ka hi, jihhla beff avva'tar lingos-"

At first, she tilts her head, then mutters a small thing, "deska" (which comes as her saying "let it be" or "make it so").

And then, she presses her lips. To mine.

I am ... I'm going to regret this, aren't I-


On my side, it might be that I am romancing someone who's already married. But on her side, she's 'playing around' with someone other than her husband. I'm not sure what's the worse charge, here; but in my upbringing, I have no thoughts of going so far; so I push back slightly on her shoulder, and feel her lips depart from mine.

"No." (I am not going to focus so much on the original words for now, only on the delayed translation. Makes conversation a slight bit easier between us.)

"... why not? Don't think I didn't catch your words earlier. I might be willing-"

"Paza. A least, not until ... I can have a serious talk to Ama? Can you call her here or something, so I can get this over with ... while I have the reasoning to do so?"

She sighs, then nods, then goes into a door and back into her world. I'm waiting here, only following her progress in the view before me. She's silent but walking fast. She did pass by the king, feigning a tired look, and he grinned and muttered something akin to a 'told you so'. So far, the ruse may be working.

Paza arrives at Nahama's bedchamber, and pauses at the door itself. Inside, I hear panting breaths, an intermittent moan, and then a sigh of relief- er, 'release'.

"Might want to give her a few seconds," I grin at the queen, who is chagrinned at this turn of events.

But she knocks on her daughter's door anyway. We both hear the flurry of bedcovers and pages, and then a call. "Who is it."

Rather brusk; Nahama must be wanting to do more, in another moment. Hmm; perhaps it's a particularly spicy romance novel or something.

"Your mother."

I hear the next flurry of action, Ama pulling on some clothes maybe hastily left on the floor; and then she's fast-stepping this way. The door opens, and Ama appears as if nothing is happening. Haa ... is it so easy to fool us, after we heard all that?

"Yes mother?"

"Come with me, to my garden. I have some serious things to discuss ... about this summoned one."

Her concern is instant. "What's the matter? Is he hurt? Did he do something? That doesn't matter, he's still okay, right?"

"Just ... come with me. I do not think we can discuss something so serious, with so many others around here, to hear-"

Nahama suddenly frowns ... as if maybe she's thinking, something is up. Maybe she even suspects what her mother the queen may or may not know, of my awareness. In any event, she's now properly silent and somber, following her mother. Past the king, who continues to glare and gloat. Past others I've seen already a few minutes before. And, into the garden, back to the same spot.

Properly 'safe' in this virtual sanctuary, Nahama again unloads all those same questions, adding in new ones until Paza calls for a stop.

"Nahama! Stop."

I fear, Ama might be near tears; either Paza should come clean, or just ... tell her daughter to stop being attached to me. Either one, is fine with me-

"First," Paza starts off with, "he is aware of us."

Ama tries to 'act' shocked, blustery, unbelieving; but I just laugh and call out on my own to the queen. "Aah yeah, not so great acting, is she."

"We've had a conversation; and he tells me his nickname for you is ... Ama."

Finally caught red handed, proverbially, this girl can only come clean.

"Yes, we've been talking ... since the beginning, mother. He's nice, right? A little confused about our kingdom, and afraid of the collar meant for him, but ... oh. He can hear me, can't he."

Suddenly shutting up, Ama clamps her mouth in an attempt to not say any more.

"Aand ... that's why, I'm not a match for Ama. She still didn't think, before talking."

My statement to the queen is just so precise. Even Paza cannot doubt me in this.

"Nahama ... he is right. You and him are not a match. His perspective is different from yours. At best, you can still be friends; but not ... more."

This girl ― she's so red faced ― either about to bawl, or about to lash out in complete anger.

"I want to talk to Levi! Let me see him!"

"Yeah, now might be the time to tell her of the portal, and how we can go between worlds-"


I hear Paza tell it directly, just to refocus her daughter's mind on the more pressing reality of ... me being there, in the flesh. Suddenly Ama's back to a slight concern and almost smile, at the thought of being able to touch me now, instead of waiting one more day.

I ... did it. I stepped through, and came out inside this garden shed structure, and stepped out of that and into the garden proper. Nahama's face ... aah, priceless. As if she's still got ideas of ... things to do.

"Before you switch the view to her so she can understand," I mention to the queen, "I'd like to ask you if you can give us some privacy, Paza. Please. Find a corner of the garden far enough away, or go back inside or something; because I do have a few personal things to say. I can promise I'm not going to do anything illicit with her."

"... even if you did, Levi ... I would know it." But she hands across the view to this silly girl, and steps away with one last warning look to her daughter.

Leaving, the two of us, face to face.

"... h, hello."

"Hello, Ama."

She bobs her head, hearing the delayed manner of translation.

"This, this will be hard to get used to."

"No, not after you just relax, and pay attention only to the translation. It's just ... a difference, for now."

"But ... all of the summoned ones ... they always come through speaking our language! How is this-"

"I don't know. Not a worry for now; because we both have-"

She rushes to me, now that her mother is out of sight. "Kiss me!" And forces her lips to mine ― where her mother's own lips were, a mere ten minutes before.

"No," I deflect, easing her back as did her mother. "I'm not ... she is right, you know. We aren't meant to be a couple. At least, I'm still not seeing you as someone I'm ready to ... marry."

"But for now ... I'm not asking for us to say the vows ― I just want us to ... do stuff."

"Like in your book?" I lift an eyelid, also trying to extract a hand from feeling across my chest.

"W, w, what would be wrong with that!" She again tries to reach up for a kiss ― but in this moment, I suppose she's trying to duplicate a scene from her smutty book.

On one hand, I could have a princess, right now. But on another, I could wait for a while longer, and have the mother. But neither of those, I think, are realistic choices for a relationship ... if I'm going to face their familial issues. I don't want to break up a family (ship)!

"I don't think it's real. I'm not wanting that fantasy romance, I want something real, something that takes time to build."

"But I want that too! As we have a family, you and I and our kids ― we can get to know each other-"

"That's backward. I would want to get to know someone first. To know, that woman is the right one, to have children with."

Her look, is now so accusatory.

"... and, you think I'm not? Not this 'right one' for you?"

I can only nod.

"Then who."

"... well, I-"

"Who!"

"-your mother."

Her hand drops, quite lower on my body, and ... she's squeezing my part. This is NOT FUN!

"Stop! It'll break!"

1