The Lone Macaw (1) – Chapter 14
1.3k 10 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here you go,” Thea said and pushed a few coins in my hand. Most of them bronze.

Though the description coin was a bit off.

No print, rough edges, and a bumpy surface. They looked more like pressed pieces of ore than coins. Each piece’s value varied as only the silver’s weight determined their value. No coinage out here. Just an easier counterpart for barter.

The game divided its currency into five different coins: iron, bronze, silver, and gold. Minted with enough detail to make each coin a small work of art. With each coin’s value corresponding to 100 coins of the next lower kind. A run-of-the-mill system befitting a generic game. Added on top were the crystals. The game’s pay to win economy.

One night inside the game’s standard inn cost a handful of silver coins while excellent weapons reached prices of multiple tens of thousand of gold coins. A few bronze coins seemed awfully little. But in comparison, the best merchandise on the market was traded for silver coins. And our four beds cost us a handful iron coins. One gold coin would probably be enough to buy this poor excuse of a city in its entirety.

But looking at those cheap coins in my hands, I smiled.

This wasn’t a letdown. More like my first payday. Money I earned for myself. And with my own two hands.

“Is that really enough,” Thea asked, looking concerned. “You can have more…”

Did she think I was disappointed? That I wanted more? She probably misunderstood my silence, but I had been the one who decided my share.

Thanks to the absent caravan, the village had lacked money to buy the needed seeds and tools. Hence I split my earnings and used the bigger share to assist them. They had, after all, taken care of me for the last months. With no doubt or complaint. Now that I planned to leave them, it was my time to return their hospitality.

“No. Everything’s fine,” I answered, putting my coins away. “Let’s go.”

Thea nodded and followed me back to the market square.

Time for some shopping.

Although it was mostly me watching Thea examine the goods.

I had clothes, a new dagger, food, and a place to stay. With my basic needs taken care of, the rest stayed out of reach. A good suit of armor, a horse, skill lessons, or battle training. Any of those would leave a heavy dent in the village’s finances, while some were worth more than the entire village. Too much for something I might never use.

Only three items remained on my list. Low quality potions or medicine. A new ax suitable for fighting. And some kind of gift for Thea. But what was a suitable present? This world had no readily available make-up, no cheap entertainment, no tasty fast food booth. A new pot? New wooden boards for the floor? Or a bowl of mush as dessert? That wasn’t even funny.

Thea, oblivious to my inner turmoil, continued in high spirits, checking each display with great care. A once in a year chance to let loose before our return tomorrow. So even the girl who knocks out thieves enjoyed her shopping.

The sun had passed its zenith before I saw a fitting store.

A street merchant, with his wares on two spacious linen sheets. Both of them full with small accessories and decorations. But what caught my eyes wasn’t the small jewelry, but the ensemble of dyed linen stripes. Scarves? Or headbands? They looked like those linen stripes on her hut’s walls. So after making sure she was busy with her haggling over some pots, I picked one with small white flowers on a red background.

“Hmm? Five bronze coins,” the merchant muttered, not interested.

“Five bronze,” I asked in disbelief. “For a stripe of linen? That’s a week in the inn with leftover.”

“The red dye is expensive. Made of sea rock powder. Transported all the way from Sjælland. So take it or leave it.”

“What sea rock powder. It’s probably just some flower you picked. I give you two coins.”

“Five coins. Take it or leave it,” he repeated. “But the little miss will be crestfallen if you get nothing for her.”

The little miss? Did he notice my glance? So he observed me from the start and only feigned boredom?

“Three coins. It’s just linen. Nobody will buy it anyway. That’s a favor for you.”

“Five coins. Is your woman’s smile not even worth two lousy coins?”

That was harsh. Any proper husband shopping with his wife would call for the time-out. A technical K.O. thanks to the fear of losing their nocturnal exercise. Though that didn’t apply to me.

But he had a point. Thea’s present was the main reason for my spending money and I liked that piece. So no need to burn all the bridges with him.

“Four coins. And I get some information on top.”

“Deal.”

A quick exchange of goods. And I hid the stripe in my pocket. Time to surprise her when we returned to the village.

“You visited to the sea?” I began with my question. “What’s their biggest city?”

“I was only to Haithabu. But they say it’s the biggest city along the coast.”

Haithabu? Weird. Another name I never heard in the game. Another big village?

“Same size as Gladford? Or bigger?”

“Bigger. A lot bigger. The harbor alone is bigger. And they have a stone wall instead of…” He snorted and gestured towards the periphery. “Instead of whatever this is. Guards in shining armor patrol through the streets, all of them cobbled and orderly. And you can find wares from far away on the market. Weapons, silk, slaves, and even animals from far away. You can buy anything there. It’s a world of its own.”

“That different? That’s hard to believe. Don’t make up stuff. I paid for this.”

“No, no, no. Believe me. Look, I bought this little one.” And with those words he pulled a cloth from a cage, revealing the bird inside.

White beak, red head, yellow and blue feathering. A bird like a rainbow. Nearly one meter long. A beautiful sight to behold.

“That’s a macaw,” the merchant explained. “I bought it when I traded my linen in Haithabu. They come from across the ocean.”

“It’s beautiful.” It really was.

“It is.” He sighed. “But it’ll die soon. Even though I paid for it with gold.”

“It’ll die? Looks fine to me.”

“It is alone.” Another sigh. “They set me up. Macaw’s need company. A mate. But this one’s died already. So now it’s lonely.”

“Then… why not buy another macaw? Isn’t it just a bird?”

“Just a bird.” A self-deprecating laugh. “I thought the same. But a friend later told me truth. Macaws mate for life. So this one will stay alone for the rest of its life. And they don’t fare well on their own. A caged bird that dies of loneliness. What a waste. And I can’t even sell it.”

“Hmm?” I examined the macaw again. It looked both healthy and lively. No sign of death. But it would die of loneliness? What a weird bird.

“It’s really a tragedy. I tried selling it, but those rich people all knew the story.”

“Story?”

“Yes. Story. What was it again… ah! A pair of macaws is a sign of prosperity. They’ll prosper anywhere as long as their mate is with them. The rich ladies find it romantic. Home is where your heart is. Something like that.” He sighed again, clearly not happy with his buy. “But a lone macaw is a different story. It’ll always die. Even a giant aviary full of the best food won’t keep it alive. Riches don’t make happy. Greed will kill you. That’s what they say.” He laughed. “Though that’s just some story the nobles tell each other. Idiocy, if you ask me. They just want to sell the birds in pairs. Double the profit.”

“Hmm…”

“It’s always about profit with those animal dealers. No decency. And I can’t even travel to Haithabu and complain right now. This stupid bird will die before the trails are clear again. Oh, that reminds me of the time when I bought chickens from an old lady and…”

I continued to acknowledge his further stories with all kinds of grunting. But all those stories didn’t interest me. My mind focused on a different matter.

I had never read the name Haithabu in the game. Same for Gladford. Another coincidence? Really? If not, how much of my game knowledge was actually usable? Could it really ensure my survival? Or would I die in some ditch because I picked the wrong option not knowing where I failed? I needed more information. Something that proved this world’s origin without a doubt. A familiar city, a famous ruler, or even a well-known weapon smith. Anything.

But for now, I returned to Thea, who haggled over an additional frying pan. What endurance.

Frustratingly, none of the other merchants had any useful information either. And so I just stood by while the sun dropped behind the houses. Crockery and knives found their way into Thea’s arms. In turn I carried a village worth of pots and pans.

Thea was happy with her haul. And made sure I knew it, listing all her successes.

Accompanied by her stories, we made our way back to the inn, pushing and squeezing through the people.

Did the area become more crowded?

“Someone is over there.” Thea pointed towards a makeshift stage on one side of the square. “It looks like an announcement from the city. They even unrolled the banner. And there’s a girl up there. Oh, she’s so beautiful. Look at her hair. It’s so long and glossy. But she’s so young…”

“A girl,” I asked while turning around. “Why would a girl be up there?”

There was a makeshift stage in front of me. People crowded all around, filling the air with a lively buzz. And on top of the stage stood a girl with silver-blonde hair.

 

 

 

Thank you for reading!

If you enjoyed the story and want to help it grow, be like a Blob:

We also have a [discord] now.

66