The Lone Macaw (1) – Interlude 2
1.2k 25 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A massive map covered an entire table, displaying the area around Gladford.

From the mountains in the south to the northern sea, and from the eastern mine to the unclaimed land in the west. A handful of marks displayed the locations of the surrounding villages, but they were few compared with the sheer endless extent of the land. Even now, generations after the frontier villages were established, most humans still hid in the safety behind the eastern mountains.

Small figurines marked the guards', mercenaries', and leprechauns' positions. And three people stood around the table, moving the wooden pieces, deliberating on the upcoming battle. Freiherr Houdin, Master Bernier, and Rhoslyn had spent hours in this stuffy room, when a knock interrupted their newest discussion.

Master Bernier left for the door, listened to the guard's report, and returned with a sigh. His unusual behavior alerted the other two, switching their discussion's topic to the news.

"One of the Vinetars ran away," Bernier explained with a frown.

"That's all? Just appoint someone else," Houdin responded. "It doesn't matter who leads them. They are worthless anyway."

"His name is Aki. And he was... uhm... the leader of the mine's group," Bernier followed up, looking through the recruits' register. "So we need to rearrange their composition. It might be wise to send some guards as warden, lest we see more disturbances."

"Ah!" A weird sound from the other side of the table.

"Something the matter?" Houdin looked at the sword maiden. "You know him?"

"Yes." She nodded. "He's the one who slew the leprechauns, so I tested his strength."

"And?"

"He's strong. Probably stronger than the guards. At least if we talk about his body's strength. His skills with the sword are..." She stopped and remembered their fight. "Horrible. Not better than an untrained man. His accomplishments should be based on luck."

"So that's his ceiling." Houdin thought for a moment. "I planned to use him as another exemplar, bur he isn't worth that much."

"Then," Bernier interrupted. "Should we make an example of him? The recruits' order falls with each additional day and we can't allow for further deserters. A public execution should remind them of their status."

"No, not now. We don't have the time to scour for him. Just make sure the other recruits are kept in line."

"This might not end that conveniently," Rhoslyn said, a slight smile appearing on her face. "He showed sympathy for the southern villages. So they should be his target."

"The south? Fuck him," Houdin cursed, but soon regained his calm. "Just let him rot with the farmers. A foul ditch is a fitting conclusion for a deserter."

"It's fine if he dies," Bernier responded. "But what if he sounds the alarm? Startled farmers will interfere with the subsequent steps."

"Fuck! Can he save them," Houdin asked the sword maiden. "Given your experience, can he do it?"

"It's impossible," Rhoslyn answered. "At least if he had shown his entire hand. But slaying the leprechauns' scouts should have been similar impossible."

"We should have caged those animals." Houdin sighed and looked into the round. "We can't waste any time on this. Any ideas?"

"I don't think we have to worry too much," Bernier replied. "If he survives, we can dictate the narrative. He is still a Vinetar, a celebrated subordinate of our Freiherr. As long as we can control him..."

"Then we'll sell him a favor," Houdin decided. "You'll follow him and monitor the situation. Make sure to bring him to us if he survives."

"Should I lend a hand?"

"Try to appear willing. But there's no need to waste your preparations on some farmers. After all, we'll need your powers during the important battles."

"As you wish," Bernier concluded this topic with a bow.

"But that only works if he stays and fights," Rhoslyn interfered, her smile deepening. "Some - what was it? - some weak animal would rather flee in the face of hardship. Sending your men to the south is still an option."

"You!" Houdin flared up. "It was your doing, wasn't it? Planting unnecessary ideas in my men's heads."

"Your man?" Rhoslyn displayed a confused expression. "Oh, him! I'm deeply sorry. He wasn't complete garbage hence I didn't realize he belonged to you."

"You! Are you defying the moon alliance? You know, that-"

"I would never," Rhoslyn interrupted. "But that's all I have to follow."

"No worth besides a pretty face." An insinuating laughter. "I should have bought your body when Artorius came and begged me to buy your services."

"I would be grateful if you didn't utter my father's name," Rhoslyn responded, one hand on her sword's grip. The youthful girl was gone, and the future sword maiden appeared with full intensity. "I want this undertaking to end without further problems."

"Shut up, kid!" Houdin laughed, this time with scorn. "We both know you can't hurt me."

In response, she took a deep breath, calmed her seething anger, and returned to a more relaxed posture.

"See, that's the problem with you mercenaries." Houdin continued. "Once you got your money, you dance for me. Like a filthy whore who lies down for all those farmers. And if I say you are the price for these recruits, you'll smile and promise them your flesh."

"Our contract binds us, that much is true," Rhoslyn admitted rather calm. "But every contract ends and so will this one. Oh, it would be such a shame if that city of yours burns to the ground. And by then my sword will..."

"I think that's enough." Master Bernier defused the conversation. "The only important question is: If that Vinetar doesn't listen, can you kill him?"

"Yes. He has no chance as long as he doesn't ambush me. But a fight between us won't be necessary."

"Will that suffice," Bernier asked Houdin.

A short nod and a waved hand. As if the entire topic hadn't been worth the Freiherr's attention.

"Then I'll take my leave. My men await their training." Rhoslyn's brusque announcement surprised the men, but she left the room without waiting for their responses, maintaining a brisk pace until she reached the barracks.

 

 

 

Thank you for reading!

If you enjoyed the story and want to help it grow, be like a Blob:

We also have a [discord] now.

51