The Dancing Fireflies (2) – Chapter 18
450 14 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Backlog chapter. Now we are in countdown territory.

Backlog chapters: 10

“So, why don’t we start with names?”

In response to my question, the thug’s eyebrows moved up, a mix of astonishment and anger in his eyes. Yet his face still displayed a courteous smile when he responded with a soft voice.

“I see. You didn’t even know my name.” His forced laughter couldn’t mask the displeasure with his words. “But it explains a lot?”

“It does?”

“Yes, it does. Those who heard my name wouldn’t disrespect me. It seems our… misunderstanding… was thanks to your lackluster knowledge.”

“I’m a new commander taking my first steps, so please let me apologize for my shortcomings. Until now, I only concentrated on the strong.” I smiled as I glanced towards the half-split log. “To rekindle our relationship, please allow me to ask for your name.”

“My father named me Bari.”

“Let me compliment your father on his taste. He picked a powerful name for an excellent warrior.”

Two men sat around a table, smiling at each other, and spouting lies nobody present would believe. He didn’t yearn for a peaceful solution, and his name didn’t interest me at all. In fact, I would rather take my ax and finish the discussion that way.

The only problem was the current situation.

We sat on opposite ends of the table, but he occupied the side nearest to the exit. His three men remained behind him and blocked the way toward the curtain. Thea, quite fidgety, kept a gap between her and the thug, but still positioned herself on the other side of the table.

Torphin and the commanders displayed their stance in the same way and lined themselves up behind me.

We had built the hut in haste, with no regards to unnecessary features or weak points. A table in the middle. Some provisions in the back. A hole in the wall was the exit, completed with a curtain and a movable wooden wall to barricade the opening. And that was it. No second exit, no windows, not even a secret exit through the roof.

We were trapped.

“Then why don’t we shift the topic of our discussion?” I ended another round of empty pleasantries. “What’s the reason for your discontent?”

“We want to take part in the decision-making.” Bari started another wave of meaningless words. The weak, the strong, rights, duty, unheard voices, brave soldiers.

Useless background noise.

An endless prelude to set the stage.

Or was he trying to drown my mind until I fell into eternal sleep?

Either way, I only listened with one ear as I tackled the actual problem.

The thug’s hallucination skill varied its effectiveness based on the level difference between user and enemy. Low-level enemies would collapse while high-level targets remained unaffected. Collapsed commanders, affected but still clear Torphin, and an illusion I could break with a bit of pain.

Thanks to the rides with Rhoslyn, my level should be somewhere between level six and seven, while Torphin should have reached level four or five. Bari’s level sat somewhere between Torphin’s and mine.

A higher level, my gaming experience, and Torphin by my side should be more than enough to slay the thug in front of me.

But what would happen afterward?

I suppressed a sigh and flashed a smile at the still talking Bari.

If I moved, the five leaders of the troublemakers would die within minutes. We had the strength advantage and my fortress skill would counter any hidden experts on the opposite site.

Not knowing whether fortress’ cooldown was over turned it into a gamble, but the situation was far from hopeless.

I would welcome a fight.

I even tried to incense the thug.

Because the alternative worried me.

Five seconds around the table, a few strikes for a lethal wound, a handful more steps toward the other men.

But they had already left.

The possible fight didn’t scare me.

But who would prevent their escape?

I could kill Bari and those who stayed behind. But then what?

Would I kill all the known leaders? Behead Thea in front of the other recruits? And what if the remaining leaders told them how I killed a man who just stood there? A murder because his shadow had scared me? What if the other troublemakers revolted? Would I cut down over forty recruits as I lamented the lack of men?

A fight didn’t scare me. I had fought hundreds inside the game. Straightforward combat was my forte.

But I was toothless in front of intrigues and tactics. Those had never been part of the game’s solution.

I couldn’t even anger the mob-boss in front of me.

Hence, I sat there and listened to the never-ending flood of words, hoping to trip over an idea.

“I understand your misgivings, so let me apologize once more.” A slight nod of my head implied a bow before I played with the pebbles in front of me. “But as you can see, our situation is rather dire. If you can find a way out, I’m willing to listen to your ideas.”

My words elicited rather different reactions from the other side.

Thea displayed a radiant smile, visibly content with my words. Her group would obtain influence on the fortress’ decision, confirming her prior decisions.

In contrast, the three men behind Bari displayed facial expressions that mirrored my inner landscape. Nausea and discontent. They had asked for a voice, but showed no delight.

Their actual goal was different.

Only Bari displayed another smile and examined the situation on the table with exaggerated movements.

If a compromise wasn’t enough, they should ask for something unreasonable next.

“You still belittle us.” Word for word, the thug expressed his displeasure. “You rode with the mercenaries and fought against the leprechauns. But now, you deny us the same glory. You shudder like an old woman during a winter storm, hidden inside her warm house. There are so many pebbles on this map, but you let them pile on and on. Why would we follow such a leader?”

“Because a fight would spell your downfall. Only death awaits the weaklings. Thanks to your words, I understand that your weakness is my failure as a commander. Not enough training. Not enough punishment. But I still want to keep my men safe.”

My words caused a smile on Bari’s face. “Your failure as commander is to underestimate our strength. Even your commanders lost to us. So why not fight sight by side with us and vanquish our enemies?”

“You would fight by my side?”

“We only want a chance to prove ourselves.”

“Then how many men would you need to slay a handful of leprechauns?”

“Is that even a question?” Bari’s laughter filled the hut. “The mercenaries’ groups were always the same. Six men. Why should we need more?”

“That’s great. But let us use ten men during the first battle. Just to be sure.”

“I can agree with that.”

“Good. Very good.” A smile bloomed on my face. And for the first time in this discussion, it was a genuine one. “A group of leprechauns is blocking the caravan’s return. So gather five more men and await me in one hour. I look forward to your performance.”

In the end, the discussion ended with smiles on both sides, even though some were forced. The troublemakers left to pick their fighters while I turned toward the men behind me.

“Torphin. Get the two scouts who found this group. And get another one on horse.” I stopped the hunter before he could voice his concerns. “Pick those who are absolute loyal. My life rests in their hands.”

Torphin nodded and left the hut. The commanders, rather out of place during the discussion, followed behind him.

“Wait! One moment.” I stopped them when they reached the entrance. “If you know recruits with potential among the troublemakers, convince them not to go. It would be a waste.”

The following hour was filled with preparations. Sword, shield, ax, a small bag with rations and water, and one of the potions Rhoslyn had gifted me. I checked my armor, instructed the scouts, and met Torphin and the commanders at the fortress’ border.

A few minutes later, the troublemakers arrived. Most of them carried their spears to battle. Only Bari and two other leaders carried a sword. Thea had also picked the spear, although her appearance was a lot less confident.

A few short words, a handshake between Bari and me, and our small group left the fortress, bathed in the cheers of the spectating recruits.

One scout led our group at the front, the second one followed ten meters behind our group, and the third one rode his horse at the very end, barely visible behind all the foliage.

“This formation is rather unusual.” More than an hour into our journey, Bari approached me to discuss our tactics. “According to your guide, we’ll reach the enemy soon. So why won’t they join us for a brief meal?”

“They are scouts and a lot weaker than you guys. So why would they take part in the battle?” I didn’t miss the sour expression in Bari’s eyes. “Their only task is to keep watch. And if someone would die to… let’s say an ambush… they would return to the fortress and alert Torphin.”

“And you think an old hunter can keep you safe?”

“Safe? No.” I laughed. “But he can send a message to Rhoslyn. Tell me, how many mercenaries are needed to slay a recruit? And how many recruits would offset a dead commander?”

Now clear displeasure overtook Bari’s facial expression. But this time, it was his side that lacked a fitting retort. None of them knew that even my death wouldn’t be enough to recall the sword maiden and her mercenaries.

Hence, it was me who broke the silence.

“It is too late to turn around.” I spoke loud enough to reach the entire group. “If you ambush me, you’ll die. If you run away and desert, you’ll die. And Torphin will shoot anyone who returns before me. Either you exchange your life with mine or you follow the scout and slay the leprechauns. It’s what you demanded. A chance to achieve glory.”

My words stupefied Thea, who tripped over her own feet. Yet nobody had the leisure to stop and laugh at her.

Instead, everyone followed the scout in absolute silence.

Another hour had elapsed when the scout gestured toward us. A stone’s throw away, covered by some thicket, was a small clearing. And eight tiny figures sat on the floor, gnawing at two bloody animals.

With his duty fulfilled, the scout turned around and left the group in haste.

“You let them go?” Bari’s face displayed genuine astonishment. “Aren’t you afraid we’ll stab you in the back?”

“I didn’t lie back then.” I addressed the five leaders. “Whenever I had to decide, I tried to keep everyone safe. After all, how could I be the one to decide who lives and who dies? Isn’t that way too much responsibility for a stupid teenager? But this time I have to thank you.”

“Wha-”

“That black leprechaun is a Púca.” I ignored the troublemakers’ reaction. “His claws would maul all your men. One after another. Do you remember all those funerals in Gladford? That was his doing. And the only one who can stop him is me.”

I smiled, turned around, and presented my back to them.

“You can stab me in the back. But then all of you will die. You can try to run, but he is faster and he’ll catch you. Your only chance for survival is to block the leprechauns with your bodies until I defeated the Púca. If you can survive, you’ll live.”

I took a second to enjoy the changes on Bari’s face.

Satisfied, I drew my weapons and got ready to fight.

“I’m not good with all that backstabbing and responsibilities. In fact, I would rather be a simple soldier, riding with the sword maiden. All of this.. ”

I sighed, raised my voice, and shouted toward the leprechauns. Agitated screams answered me.

Mere seconds later, the leprechauns dashed toward us.

I laughed.

“Let’s just enjoy a good old straightforward battle.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading!

If you enjoyed the story and want to help it grow, be like a Blob:

We also have a [discord] now.

17