Chapter 304- The Throneless King
114 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[It doesn't matter what method you use. Take them over by force. Take them over through threats and blackmail. Take them over in a competition. Take them over through negotiation. I don't particularly care how you do it. Do what you think is best, and learn from your experience. That alone will be more than enough.]

During the trip, Gary had called Arlo in order to relay this message with these basic instructions.

'So basically, do whatever you think is best. Do things your own way.'

This is what Arlo got out of these instructions, and the birdmen were on a similar train of thought.

Arlo was a warrior from the beginning of his life to this point.

At some point in his life though, Arlo had forgotten what it meant to be a true warrior.

'I failed to protect those who were weaker than myself. No.... it wasn't even that I failed. Rather, I became the very person who true warriors would stand up against, because I was using my strength against the weak.'

Arlo was truly grateful that Claire had shown up at that time, and knocked some sense into him.

He had grown arrogant, and believed that his power allowed him to do whatever he wanted.

It was because of her eminence that he was able to return to his roots as a true warrior, serving underneath her and those she worked with.

He truly owed them.

'My current power is not my own. I will never forget that. I must never again grow arrogant in thinking that I am better than anyone else. I must never again abuse this strength.'

Arlo made the decision to challenge the leader to a one on one fight.

He would fight with honor.

He would not take over this village by force.

He would not impose his strength on the weak.

Instead, he would show them his strength- but not for the sake of bragging about himself.

He would display his strength and redirect the praise towards the people who made him this way.

'I serve their excellencies first and foremost, but since they have given me the freedom to do things using my own method, then I will do exactly that.'

----

Arlo followed the termite through the tunnels, which eventually opened up to a magnificent city.

Everything in this city had been created by excavation.

The rooms and buildings had been dug out from the walls of the dirt mount, and there was a ceiling above the people which likely separated each floor of the magnificent citadel.

As the three walked through the streets, which were more like tunnels, they passed many insectoids who seemed to be hard at work traveling from one place to another.

Barely anyone even so much as bothered to stare.

'Perhaps visitors are not unwelcome here? A strange place. Even in my own home, visitors were not openly let in unless they had direct relations with Rocko or myself.'

The four continued through the streets until they came to a central plaza which was more open than the maze of tunnels which had led them here.

"If I am correct then the king should be somewhere around here... please wait here for just a moment while I find him.", the termite stated as he looked around and then ran off.

Arlo looked to the birdmen.

"Do you think this could be an ambush?", Fergo asked.

"How ungraceful that would be if that were the case. And we would have fallen right for their trap. Truly, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.", Relu replied.

"No, I don't think this is a trap.", Arlo stated.

"How can you be so sure?", Fergo asked.

"Hm.... well, I just didn't really feel any malice coming from the people here. I can't imagine them leading us into a trap like this. They didn't even seem to bother to look at us as we passed. How could someone be so disinterested in us? Only if outsiders visiting was a common occurrence."

"I suppose that's true. But what if they like to capture outsiders often?"

"Do you think it would be every day that a lizardman or a birdman comes around this area? Surely some people would have been interested at least a bit."

"I suppose so...."

The four were left waiting and many people seemed to pass through the plaza. Many didn't even glance at the four, which furthered Arlo's confusion.

'It really is strange. Perhaps after all there are visitors here often? Or maybe it is because everyone in this village is so different from one another that they don't give appearances a second thought? I suppose that could be true.'

It was then that the termite returned and behind him was a thin ant humanoid.

"No matter what time it is, it seems that we can always find you in these places, King Dern."

"Enough with the King. I don't deserve such a title."

"No, you absolutely do, my King. There is none other like yourself."

"Sigh.... well, I suppose if it makes you feel better then it's fine."

"Ah, here they are. This is the lizardman who I was speaking of. He seemed to want to challenge you to a fight, my King."

The ant looked to be young. He was perhaps in his early 20s in human years.

On seeing this ant walking through the plaza, many people seemed to gather around in a circle.

"My king!!"

"Are you well, my king!?"

"Is there anything you need?"

The ant waved to the people who shouted out to him with a smile.

"Ah, no that's alright. More importantly.... lizardman. Is it true that you wish to challenge me to a duel?"

----

Just earlier, a humanoid ant was making his way through the tunnels which made up this underground city.

"Dern! How's it going?"

A humanoid cricket seemed to call out to the ant as he walked through the city.

"I'm doing great. How is the family?"

"The two kids are growing up so fast.... and the wife is feeling a whole lot better. Her health was declining but ever since you performed that healing magic on her.... she's been up and about.... I can't thank you enough, my King."

"Enough with the King. I said I wanted you to just call me by my name, right? And as for the healing.... well, I was just born that way. Anyone who is born with power should use it for other people, right?"

"Not everyone sees it like that, Dern."

The ant's face seemed to twist strangely.

"Are you sure about that? What kind of healer doesn't enjoy helping other people? If you're a healer, how could you just pass someone by who is suffering when you know that you can do something about it?"

"Well, normally someone with such a power would at least charge for their services. I owe you big time. Really."

"And I'm telling you not to worry about it. I did it because I wanted to, not because I wanted to get any sort of reward."

The cricket seemed to sigh.

"You really do deserve to be called the king with that attitude. That's why everyone wanted you to sit on that throne."

"I'll lead you all if you want. And I'll protect everyone here. But I won't sit on a throne."

"I got it, I got it. You sure are a stubborn one. But I guess it's because you're like this that everyone wants it to be you leading us."

The cricket waved as the young ant walked away through the streets, before hearing the scream of an older woman.

"Thief!!! Get back here!!!!"

At hearing this scream the ant seemed to rush out of the hallway, almost too fast for the eye to catch, in the direction of the scream.

Passing through a number of tunnels and making a few turns, he came upon the scene.

An older moth woman was reaching out and looking at a young beetle who seemed to be running away with her satchel.

The ant let out a sigh and rushed forward through the tunnels, grabbing the beetle by the arm.

"Let go of me!!!", the kid shouted as he tried to struggle free.

"Ah!! Dern!!! You arrived just in time!! This little thief took my bag!!", the moth woman shouted as she walked forward.

Dern grabbed the boy by the arms turning him around and squatting down to look him into the eyes.

"What is it? Are you gonna preach to me and tell me that I shouldn't have done it? Hah!?"

The child seemed to make a snappy remark while glaring at the ant who held him.

"Why was it that you took the bag of this lady?"

"I knew it!! You're just here to preach to me and tell me that I was wrong!! I'm hungry! I need food to eat!!"

"Do you have parents?"

"No! Never have! Never will!"

The ant seemed to gain a saddened look on his face as he heard this.

"Then take this. It isn't much but it should be enough for food for a while. Do you have a home?"

Taking out a gold coin from his pocket, the ant placed it in the hand of the child who stared at it with surprise.

"Yes...."

"Then give me your address. I'll stop by in a week and help you out by finding you some work. Ok? If you work, then you won't need to steal anything to eat, right?"

The kid looked up at the ant.

"Are you serious? I'm not returning this gold coin you know."

"I'm serious. Just promise me that you'll work if I help you to find some."

"A-alright...."

The child agreed, giving his address to the ant before he returned the purse of the old lady.

"You little brat.... stealing from me!!"

The lady raised her cane to hit the child.

"Wait. I think he's learned his lesson. There's no need for that."

At hearing the words of this ant, the lady put her cane down.

"Fine! If you think so Dern, then I'll let him go this time. But only because you stopped him from getting away. Kids these days..... so irresponsible...."

The ant smiled back at the child who nodded and rushed off.

"I'm sorry.", the child said quietly as he rushed off.

"See? He apologized."

"Anyone can apologize. That doesn't mean he won't be stealing something the next day. Who knows? That address could have been fake. You're too soft, Dern."

"Is that so? But I'm going to trust him."

"People aren't as good as you think they are."

"Haha...."

The older lady sighed.

"Well, you got my purse back so I suppose you can do what you want. I won't complain. Who knows? Maybe he will have a change of heart."

"Exactly!! I think that punishing them isn't the right way to do things. You have to show them through your own actions. Lecturing them won't get you anywhere. You have to make an effort to show them that you care about them- and that you're not telling them to do one thing while doing another. That's what really moves people."

"I suppose you're right.... well, that's why everyone wants you to be the king. Because you think like that."

"And that's why I won't sit on a throne. Any ruler who sits back on their throne while forcing those under them to do the dirty work isn't worthy of being called a leader. I belong out here. With the people."

"Fair enough."

The ant parted his way with the older woman with a smile and a wave, and the two went their separate ways.

It was then that the ant heard the huffing of someone who seemed to be rushing around.

'Hm? That person sounds like they're in distress. I had better go see what's happening.'

Rushing towards the sound of the person, he found a termite who was breathing heavily after looking all over.

"Ah, my king!! I've been searching for you!!"

"Is something wrong? What's going on?"

"Well.... you see.... there has actually been a commotion recently. A lizardman and three birdmen showed up in the village."

"Is that a problem? There isn't anything wrong with outsiders coming into our village and visiting right? I want you all to make sure that everyone is welcome here, and that nobody feels out of place."

"Well, it's not the fact that they are outsiders that is the problem. It's the fact that they have sent out a challenge to you."

"A challenge?"

"The lizardman made a claim that he was a servant of the antiheroes. According to him, he wishes to fight you in a duel."

"The antiheroes.... you mean those people from the legends?"

"That is so. Of course, there is no actual proof that he isn't lying-"

"No, he probably isn't lying. I don't think anyone would use that name without understanding the weight behind it.", the ant replied quickly. "Then, I had better address him with haste. After all, if he has challenged me to a duel, there is no way that I can refuse, right?"

The termite seemed to smile at this.

"Yes, my King!"

"Don't call me King. Call me Dern."

The two walked forward through the tunnels, but the ant seemed to grip the sword by his side.

"A duel.... it's been so long since anyone has challenged me. I hope that they are a worthy opponent."

"I don't think anyone could match yourself, my Ki- er- Dern."

"We'll see. If they truly are working for the antiheroes, then maybe they will be the type of warrior I've been looking for."

----

On seeing the man who was known as their king speaking to this lizardman of a duel, many people gathered around with interest.

"Then, you are the King of this village? It is quite an impressive place, if I do say so myself.", Arlo said with a courteous smile.

"Thank you. Even though I may have the title of King, I am not deserving of it. However, I will not back down from a duel. Tell me though, lizardman. Who are you truly, and why have you come here to duel with me?"

Arlo grinned, and grabbed the flag which was strapped to his back, planting it into the ground.

"My name is Arlo. I have told the people of this village this before, however I was once the greatest warrior of the lizardmen. Perhaps I still am, among the lizardmen at least. However, I once believed myself to be the greatest warrior in the world. Or rather, I deceived myself into thinking so."

The ant nodded.

"And?"

"And I learned firsthand of my own weakness. I learned of the antiheroes and the Determined, and of their overwhelming strength, even compared to the strongest beings of this world. It is after seeing this power that I realized just how fruitless my own efforts as a warrior truly were until I came underneath their fold."

The ant seemed to patiently listen and more people seemed to gather around, interested in the exchange.

"I am here in this village for one purpose. But I suppose I should introduce my comrades as well. Let me tell you a small story. These men here are Yirald, Fergo, and Relu. They are men from the birdmen tribe who are also the followers of the antiheroes.... no, to say followers would be to pretty up our true positions. I will speak it clearly so that all may here."

Arlo grinned and spoke in a loud tone for all around him to hear, not a hint of shame in his voice.

"The four of us here are the slaves of the antiheroes and the Determined."

"S-slaves?"

'Oi.... are you telling me that their rulers enslaved them?'

'That means they're here on orders that they can't disobey....'

'The poor people.....'

The ant as well as many of the people seemed surprised at this statement, but Arlo continued.

"These men of the birdmen tribe once intended to invade and take over my village. Yet we stand here before you as comrades in arms today. Do you know why that is?"

Arlo pointed up to the demonic hand which grasped the heart in the center of the flag.

"It is because we now serve one flag."

With a grin he continued, raising his arms as he spoke.

"We serve the antiheroes now. It was through our slavery that we were able to come to peace with one another. It is through these chains that we have been stopped from falling off the edge of madness."

The ant was suspicious but continued to listen.

"We have come here to make the people of this village the slaves of our masters as well. Therefore, I challenge you to a duel as a warrior, leader of the insectoids!! If I win, then your people will come under the rule of our masters. If I lose, then we will allow you to go free, and we will not bother you further."

Arlo closed his eyes.

"As a warrior though, I must admit something to you. As I have said, the power which I have right now is not my own. It is power which has been given to me by my masters, their excellencies, the antiheroes. If I were to defeat you, it would not have been through my own power. It would be through their power. Which is why I am giving you a choice. Will you accept this deal even knowing this?"

Arlo glared at the ant in front of him with serious eyes.

The ant in front of him too looked up with a smile.

"I cannot allow you to take over my people as slaves. If you were to do that, then it would mean that I have failed as a king."

Arlo chuckled.

"That is fine. So you do not wish to accept this deal?"

The birdmen were looking back and forth to themselves worried.

'Oi!! What are we supposed to do if they refuse like this?'

'Do we just take them over by force??'

'Why did you seem like you had this big plan Arlo?? Don't tell me it was all for show!?'

However, the ant then looked up with a laugh.

"What are you saying? I only said that I cannot allow you to take over my people as slaves. I will face you, and I will not hold back. As a warrior, how could I decline a challenge to a duel? I will win. However, I will tell you one thing, Arlo. This village is one of peace and acceptance. We will not ban you from this place even if I were to win. If you are here for peaceful reasons, then we will welcome you at all times."

"Oh? You are quite accommodating for a leader. I thank you for that."

"No no. The pleasure is all mine."

The two came to an agreement quickly.

"Then the duel will be tomorrow night. We will provide you lodging in the meantime. Is that acceptable?"

Arlo nodded.

"That would be perfect."

3