Journal Entry 2
2k 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 2

Upon waking up, I freaked out for a second, not knowing where I was, then hoping it was really just a nightmare. It was not, but thankfully it didn't get worse, but it didn't get better either, I was still in the dark, in a cave, deep, deep underground. So, determined to survive, and maybe thrive, I took inventory of what I had, and boy, was it a lot. Stuff from as far back as a year ago was in there, from old welding class stuff, to machine tool gear, and old winter salt for shitty conditions, and much more, I wasn't going to be able to take it all, so I decided on taking what I (thought I) needed.

My messenger bag was emptied of old paper and electronics, save a spare battery. I grabbed my chipping hammer, my tongs, some scrap metal, my welding masks,cap, jacket and gloves, from my welding stuff from class, putting most of the gear in the bag. Next I grabbed some safety goggles, and a half finished steel rod from my machine tooling stuff, the rod went in a jacket pocket. Lastly I grabbed my Aluminum bat, a baseball, steel toe boots, knife, collapsible baton, a sleeping bag, a blanket, a first aid kit, a box of spare batteries, a travel mug, a bunch of scattered oat bars, a couple bottles of water, and my ax. In my jeans pocket I had my keys, this little journal, my pencil, and my wallet.

I left behind a lot of heavy things in that car. Like a spare tire, 20 pounds of salt and 40 pounds if kitty litter. A half bottle of antifreeze, and an electric kettle, and a fair amount of machine tooling and welding stuff, all of which where pretty much useless, at the time. I walked over to the edge of the cliff, and peered over with my light again, scanning for anything. I saw the beginning of another hole, about 100 yards to my right, and beyond that was darkness. Below me was an endless void, I couldn't see anything, and I really wished I had bought some road flares, or a lighter, but that was one of the things I didn't have on me. Shivering slightly, I hurried back to my pile of stuff and started putting on what I could.

I started with my work boots, putting them on I stopped almost immediately, because they where just a bit to small, but I didn't care then, and put them on anyway, looking back, knowing what I know ow, I'm happy I did. Next I put on the welding jacket, cap, and safety goggles over my glasses. I then put my long coat on, with my normal jacket tied to my bag, securing the bat. The ax went in my hammer holster, and the knife in my pocket.

I put the bag over my shoulder, made sure I didn't forget anything, and walked one last time to the cliff edge, and threw a chunk of metal over the edge, and waited, and waited, and finally after what felt like ages I heard the faintest of clattering, with that, I turned around and started walking away, locking my car with the fob, the beep beep echoing in the darkness. With only my flashlight to guide me.

 

32