Chapter 18 “Dungeon”
1.3k 0 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We have been walking for about an hour now. I never got the chance to talk to Faye again. We have come to the end of the trail where there is an entrance into a cave. Outside of it is a cabin. As we approached James went on ahead and dismounted and knocked on the door. The door opened and he walked in.

Everyone else dismounted. Zak, Bear and John each had large packs on. We all went to stand in front of the cave. The door opened then James came back out. A teen boy came running out behind him and went to the horses. (Smack) I was lost in thought and I guess I missed something Mistress said so I earned another smack.

"Did you hear me" Mistress questions. 'The dilemma this puts me in. If i say yes i'm just setting myself up, if I say no I just going to get hurt again.'

"No, Mistress. Sorry, Mistress" I settle with being honest.

"I said, stay close to me at all times while we are inside." Mistress says.

"So its pretty cheap. 5 copper to enter and 1 copper per day to stable each horse." James says as he walks up. Mistress takes her attention away from me to James. 'Whew' I get up and dust off my new shirt.

"5 copper? For this shit dungeon? Gods. Fine, lets go." Mistress complains. John steps forward then Zak and Bear followed by James then Me, Mistress and Faye.

"It's not that bad. It's just as good for leveling as any other dungeon probably better. Its only that nothing good drops here." James admonishes.

As we enter the cave Mistress raises her hand and a Ball of light suddenly appears above it. 'Holy shit' It continues to rise until its floating above her head throwing light out about 20 yards ahead. 'Well fuck me' I have also noticed there doesn't seem to be any chanting, rhymes or anything for magic at this point. Other then regents or something for the Slave Seal thing. Even games had chants in order to cast spells. Or at least a period of time for Channeling. It seems a little overpowered not to.

The cave just looks like a natural cave. The stone is gray in color. The ground has a worn path going deeper in. No one talks as we walk further in. It's honestly a little creepy. As we get about 500 yards in, the walls of the cave change from Gray stone to dark grayish squared off blocks. The atmosphere has been rather humid until this point. Its starting to become more normalized, like we are inside a house. The cave starts to open up into a large antechamber. There is a fountain and three exits from it including the entrance we came from. It has its own source of light that is coming from round shaped stones placed intermittently around the room.

I'm starting to get excited. I guess it didn't really click before, but i'm about to enter a "Real" dungeon. Only what kind of dungeon is this like? Is it like a Skyrim kind of dungeon? I don't think so from what they said. If It is used to grind levels and items then it must be similar to WoW and Everquest type dungeons. I will also have to kill in order to level, right? Or is there something like Power leveling? Are there such things as forming a party or groups to share xp?

"Did you get the maps?" Mistress questions James. 

"Yeah. One for me, you and John." He said as he handed a small booklet to Mistress and John.

"Alright. We will split up here. John go right with the girl, we'll go left. Meet up again at the entrance to the next level as we clear the floor then head down." Mistress commanded. 'Next level?' I never really played that much WoW or Everquest. Did the dungeons have levels?

"Will do Miss Kira. Come Faye." John said while heading towards the exit to the right. I watched Faye hurry after him.

"Alright lets go." Mistress says. Zak and Bear head in first followed by Mistress and I and finally James bringing up the rear. The passage way went straight ahead then forked at the end of the hallway. One way going left and another going right. The walls were the same as the antechamber except for the magic stone lights, they were gone. Mistress is using her magic to light the way. 

As we draw closer to the intersection, I start to hear footsteps coming from the right. They are hard to hear over everyone else's. When Zak and Bear get to the intersection they hurry to the right.

"We got one already!" Bear says excitedly. "It's a gob." (Crunch) I hear a disgusting sound and some guttural shriek. I get to the end and look right and see Bear standing over a gray creature. It is about the size of Faye and has weird floppy pointed ears and a bald head. It looks very dirty. It's completely nude collapsed on the floor with a spear, that is just a pointy stick, lying next to it. One of its legs is broken horribly with the bone piercing through the skin. Blue blood is pouring out of it.

"All right." Mistress says. "Take this, Now go kill that that goblin." Mistress hands me a dagger. 'I thought goblins were supposed to be green.' 

"Okay, Mistress." I say while taking the crude looking dagger from her. 'Alright I can do this. I've killed countless goblins before.' I tell myself. As I approach the goblin. Bear and Zak lift it up and restrain its arms. It keeps trying to bite them. It has gross misshapen broken teeth. Its nether regions also don't match up to its body size, but i'm avoiding actually looking at that. It's keeps letting out weird noises like its cursing at us. I wonder what its saying. What are goblin curses like?

"Hurry up and fucking kill it!" Zak yells at me. I guess I've been standing here looking at it for to long. The dagger in my hand actually feels really uncomfortable for some reason. Like my body really doesn't want to be holding it. Is it just a mental thing because i'm about to use it to kill? It just feels really wrong to have it in my hand.

"James" Mistress says. I hear James move closer to me.

"Slice the goblins throat using the dagger!" James commanded. I felt myself drawn forward towards the struggling goblin. 'I would have done it if you gave me a minute, jeez.' When I got to the goblin, my hand with the dagger shot out and its aim was off. It ended up too high and only nicked its throat and went up into its mouth from below its jaw coming out its cheek. It started thrashing. I managed to keep my hands on the dagger and pulled it out. My arm shot out again this time going to low, but it caught enough of its throat this time before impaling its shoulder.

My hand let go of the dagger and I staggered back. There was blue blood all over my hand and arm. The goblin thrashed around and gargled on its blood for awhile then stopped moving. They let go of it and dumped it on the ground. It released its bowls and I couldn't take it any more. I ran back around the corner and starting puking bile. The smell was to much added with everything else.

"Good. Now just a hundred more to go~" Mistress said from behind me. I didn't think it would be that bad. Hopefully it will get easier as i go. It should. I didn't have much time to recover as I was ushered back around the corner to follow them down the hallway. The body was still there untouched where it landed. I skirted it as much as possible. And so we continued forward.

I don't know how long we have been going at it. Everything we have run into so far has been Goblins. Either 1-3 at a time. Bear would break their legs, arms or backs and Zak would cut off the limbs of the ones he disabled. I never got the chance to kill them of my own free will again. James always Charmed me to do it. I never got any sort of notification during this time. I never would have guessed leveling up was so hard in this world. The dungeon kept to the same layout. We never ran into John or Faye. It was just hallway after hallway, dead end after dead end. They had a map so I can only guess this was intentional. That they wanted to clear this floor entirely.

There were a few traps here and there, but nothing that Zak didn't seem to see from a mile away. It was mostly Dart traps and some pit falls. I was curious if the pitfalls just went to the next floor, but when I looked it had spikes at the bottom.

I never seemed to get better at killing. My aim was always off. Everyone seemed rather frustrated with me because of this. I don't know why I couldn't do it. The dagger just felt so wrong. I cant explain it. I was completely covered in disgusting stinking blood now. It was all I could smell. 

Eventually we got to a set of stairs leading down. Mistress lied about how many more I would have to kill. A hundred? Yeah right! More like hundreds! I have no idea how many I killed, but it was far more then a hundred. They were all male too. Some had the wood spears and some had wooden clubs. No armor. No clothing. Just overall grossness. 

We didn't have to wait long before John and Faye showed up. I wonder if they had as many to kill as me. I look them over and the only blood on them is a little on Faye's hands. She looked at me and smiled. I'm covered in blood so I don't see what there is to smile about. Even so, I still smile back. I don't want to let her down. I have to get stronger as well, for the escape and everything after. The others start talking and I decide to check if my 'Status' says anything about Exp points or how close to level 2 I am. {Status}

[ERROR] 'You have to be shiting me!' Error again? I can't even look at my status anymore? What am I supposed to do with this? Does Inventory still work? {Inventory} 

I mentally dive into the space. I see a Collar, a giant fucking Bow and a little piece of metal. Well at least this works still. I wonder what the hell is going on. My system is crashing. Does that mean I cant level up? How am I supposed to help Faye escape if I can't get any stronger? 

"Alright lets head down." Mistress says. We head down a flight of stairs, then another, then another.

The next floor is a completely open landscape. Its all Forest and there is light emanating from the cieling? 'Are we back outside?' 

"Okay same thing. Lets head out." Mistress said. John and Faye took off to the right. 

Everything went almost exactly the same as it did on the previous floor. The only differences were that the goblins were now green and they had sharp stone spear points and some had Aztec like swords. Sometimes they had small square shields made out of bark. They also came in bigger groups. Up to eight at a time when we found them. Sometimes they were around a campfire. It was all the same to Bear and Zak though. They just went through them one by one crushing and cuting off limbs. I followed behind failing horribly to cleanly cut there throats. My dagger is also very dull now, so that didnt help. It was a slaughter over and over again.

I think that the experience goes to whoever gets the killing blow, but idk if i'm even able to level up at this point. I fear what will happen to me when they find out. I still dont know why they even want to level me up in the first place. Maybe i'm too weak for whatever Mistress wants to do with me.

It was weird being on this floor though. There wasnt any wind. It still felt like i was inside something. Plus I was in a constant state of nausea. The stinking blood covering me and the smell of the dead Goblins was overwhelming.

I could barely lift my right arm anymore to continue stabbing them. With James charming me I had no choice but to switch hands and continue stabbing. Every now and then I would see something that looked like a deer or hear a bird sing, so there must be regular creatures here too.

_____________

We continued to kill our way through the floor to the next and then through that one as well. The day has to be close to over by now. I'm sooo tired. Everyone looks fine except for me and Faye. She has gotten more blood on her now, but still not very much.

We are now at the start of the Forth floor. Only we dont split up this time. Mistress wants to go straight for the fifth floor now. I get to see that Faye is only using a bow to kill the goblins at a distance then she walks up to them and retrieves her arrows. That explains why she doesn't have very much blood on her. Her aim is spectacular. She would be an Olympian in my old world. Her arrow always hits either in one of its eyes or the center of its throat. Bear and Zak are still doing there thing as I hurry after them and struggle to cut the goblins throats with this dull dagger and my horrendous aim. It takes more then three stabs on average for me to get it done. Its extremely frustrating.

The group size of the goblins have stayed the same only now there are bigger ones mixed in. I heard Bear call one of them a Hob, So maybe they are Hob-Goblins? They are taller but far fatter and smell far worse. They die just the same though. They all just wildly attack without any sort of coordination at all. Even hitting each other at times. We continue like this until we reach another stairwell Heading down to the fifth level.

After the first flight of stairs it opens up to a room that looks exactly like the first room of the dungeon and it throws me off. I cant stop myself from rubbing my temples smearing blood on my face and in my hair. I mean it looks 'exactly' the same. One entrance and two exits to the left and right. I even look behind me to see if there is a cave there. There isn't.

"Alright that's it for today everyone set up camp." Mistress says as she walks to a corner then raises her hand. A large tent pops out of nowhere in front of her and she enters. 'Am I supposed to follow her?' I honestly don't know. Everyone else has tents too. They start to set them up. They are much smaller then Mistress's. They must have been rolled up into they're packs. Since I don't know what to do I head over to where the Fountain is and start scrubbing the blood off of my hands and arms. 

 

 

 

25